View Full Version : Muhammad Ali's workout

The Golden Boy
01-25-2005, 02:41 AM
What time did you get up?
Very early, around 5:30am to run

Did you stretch before you run?
Yes, light stretching

How far did you run?
I ran about 6 miles, which took about 40 minutes (i always ran in army type boots)

What did you do after you run?
I did some exercises, stretching, and back home to get washed up

What did you eat for breakfast?
All natural foods, orange juice and water.

What time did you go to the gym?
12:30pm

What time did you leave the gym?
3:30pm

What did you do after training?
I had a rub down, then washed up. I would maybe talk with the TV people, go out and enjoy myself, then eat.

What did you eat for dinner?
I always ate good: chicken, steaks, green beans, potatoes, vegetables, fruit, juice and water.

What did you do after dinner?
I liked to go for a walk and watch TV.

What time did you go to bed?
That depended on how i was feeling

What was your favourite exercise?
Shadow boxing and skipping. I loved gym work.

How many days a week did you train?

Did you have a job before you won the world title?
No

The Golden Boy
01-25-2005, 02:48 AM
Warm up:
- side to sides
- torso swivels
- jumping around on toes to limber up
(15 minutes in total)

Shadow boxing: 5 X 3 minutes rounds, working on footwork and speed punching (30 second break)

Heavy bag: 6 X 3 minute rounds, working on combinations and stamina (30 second break)

Sparring: built up sparring as camp progressed

Floor exercises:
- 15 minutes (300 in total)
- bicycle crunches
- sit ups with medicine ball
- leg raises

Speedball: 9 minutes (1 minute break)

Skipping: 20 minutes (Ali always moved around while skipping, never staying in the same spot)

Shadow boxing: 1 minute, walking around with light shadow boxing

Ali did not use weights in his workout

Enjoy!!! Karma would be appriciated

Raekwon
01-25-2005, 08:57 AM
seen ali's workout before, 6 miles run arg thats crazy lol, guy was crazy about skipping too.

ShotgunSeanK
01-25-2005, 09:25 AM
If i would have known the workouts would have been posted up on here i would have never bought the book!

marvelous_TG
01-25-2005, 09:35 AM
If i would have known the workouts would have been posted up on here i would have never bought the book!
indeed i just bought the book too. :D

Hunna
01-27-2005, 04:33 AM
i like Ali's emphasis on movement around the ring!

julDilla
01-27-2005, 04:35 AM
thanks for the work out man http://media.ign.com/boardfaces/57.gif

Hard Boiled HK
06-06-2006, 07:52 PM
I don't understand though...Ali doesn't use weights in his workouts? How does he get his muscles then? It seems like he lifted weights to look the way he did.

ferocity
06-06-2006, 08:22 PM
I don't understand though...Ali doesn't use weights in his workouts? How does he get his muscles then? It seems like he lifted weights to look the way he did.

hit a gym apply yourself and your muscles will show up

Hard Boiled HK
06-06-2006, 11:50 PM
But still...it's just very hard for me to believe that Muhammad Ali did absolutely no weight training.

Amaro
06-06-2006, 11:58 PM
But still...it's just very hard for me to believe that Muhammad Ali did absolutely no weight training.

no it's not, what he did gave him strong definition and a lot of stamina is which is much better than big ass muscles

or when I wanted to get ripped for the track team I would do small weights but a lot and I mean A LOT of repetitions, say like 3 sets of 50 reps lifting like 15-20lbs

chris_cov
06-07-2006, 07:17 AM
thanx for the workout routine, good k coming ur way.

Cockyb
06-07-2006, 08:21 AM
alot of the power u get from punches depends on timing and technique, NOT muscle mass!

and also exercises such as press ups build u up anyway!

obviously u can benefit from weights, but he probz felt his strenght was pretty decent!

Kwik-Swing
06-07-2006, 08:39 AM
awesome! thanks!!!

The Raging Bull
06-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Thanks for that. I think its basic stuff really, what most people know and do.

joeytrimble
06-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Thanks for that. I think its basic stuff really, what most people know and do.
yeah thats what most of this stuff is .... repetition repetition repetition...just like a basketball star that gets good by shooting 1000's of baskets a day or an all star pitcher that just hurls pitches for 4 hours a day

when i went to karate it seemed to last forever and nothing was getting better but eventually i noticed we were all becomeing better fighters and more skilled at **** we did ...training became not easy but more routine

platinummatt
06-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Thanks that was interesting

The Raging Bull
06-07-2006, 01:58 PM
yeah thats what most of this stuff is .... repetition repetition repetition...just like a basketball star that gets good by shooting 1000's of baskets a day or an all star pitcher that just hurls pitches for 4 hours a day

when i went to karate it seemed to last forever and nothing was getting better but eventually i noticed we were all becomeing better fighters and more skilled at **** we did ...training became not easy but more routine

Yeah this is very true. theres a quote about this and ill write it if i can remember it. I think its something like 'excellence is not an act, but a habit'. Great words

Hard Boiled HK
06-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the clear up guys.

Dempsey 1919
06-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Great stuff, maybe I can take a lesson or two from the dancing master about contioning my own body!

LoftyDog
06-08-2006, 01:41 AM

It also depends on your body type. Some people don't have to lift to be big, they just are. And the definition comes from low body fat, not lifting. And then add in all the training.

LOLORSKATES
06-08-2006, 01:52 AM
Jeff Lacy was built the was he was, or what he claims. Not to brag, but when I was around 172 when I first started out boxing I had nothing on my body. Now at 143 I have muscle mass and I actually can see my stomach muscles :D