View Full Version : The Origin of Limey

The Noose
03-06-2006, 06:43 PM
This is kind of like "The Origin of Spiderman" cartoon i had on video when i was a kid, where u see Peter Parker get bit by that bastard radio active spider. It was the old old cartoon, probably made in the early 70's. With a wicked theme tune at the beginning that u could singalong to.

Anyway, enough of that spidey crap...

THE ORIGIN OF LIMEY...

Limes were used to prevent scurvy on some british ships.
The reason it is considered a slur is that originally lemons were used on long voyages to prevent scurvy, but some ship owners thought that this was too expensive and so substituted CHEAPER limes which basically worked though perhaps not as effectively.

So someone ' I think possibly of French origin', wishing to slight or disparage the British called them 'LIMEYS', as a mild insult implying that the British were more concerned with profit that the well-being and health of the seamen.

Thus essentially to call someone a 'Limey' is to insult them by implying they are a cheapskate or mostly concerned with profit (CASH).

El Guapo
03-06-2006, 06:47 PM
This is kind of like "The Origin of Spiderman" cartoon i had on video when i was a kid, where u see Peter Parker get bit by that bastard radio active spider. It was the old old cartoon, probably made in the early 70's. With a wicked theme tune at the beginning that u could singalong to.

Anyway, enough of that spidey crap...

THE ORIGIN OF LIMEY...

Limes were used to prevent scurvy on some british ships.
The reason it is considered a slur is that originally lemons were used on long voyages to prevent scurvy, but some ship owners thought that this was too expensive and so substituted CHEAPER limes which basically worked though perhaps not as effectively.

So someone ' I think possibly of French origin', wishing to slight or disparage the British called them 'LIMEYS', as a mild insult implying that the British were more concerned with profit that the well-being and health of the seamen.

Thus essentially to call someone a 'Limey' is to insult them by implying they are a cheapskate or mostly concerned with profit (CASH).
hell yeah, cash cash cash, give it to me baby lmao!

phallus
03-06-2006, 11:54 PM
The Limey is also a great movie starring 70's action hero terrence stamp, i recommend watching it, or else terrence will knock you bout the apples and pears, with a little bit of 'ow's your father?

boxstarr
03-07-2006, 03:40 PM
The Limey is also a great movie starring 70's action hero terrence stamp, i recommend watching it, or else terrence will knock you bout the apples and pears, with a little bit of 'ow's your father?

hope you know whta you just said

SnoopySmurf
03-15-2006, 09:34 AM
I thought it was derived from "blimey". But what do I know about old British slang?

msagrain
08-04-2007, 06:59 PM
intresting story .