View Full Version : England - can we win?

MickyHatton
03-02-2006, 10:50 AM
With the decent performance last night against Uraguay do you think England has what it takes to go on and win in Germany?

What encouraged me was the fact that we for the second time in two games we have managed to come back from a goal behind, add into that the fact that Rooney, Beckham, Owen, Gerrard, Lampard and Ashley Cole had either been subbed or didn't played due to injury by the time we scored the two late goals says to me that we have great strength in depth!

Also Joe Cole is now to me becoming genuine world class and has sown up the left side problem once and for all!

Also what do you think about the the other home nations results?

boxstarr
03-02-2006, 10:56 AM
i love cole down the left...he has amazing skill and is using it properly now

we have one of the best squads around...only argentina can i think of with perhaps a better team across every position, but we dont have any real worrying weaknesses

argentina and brazil should hopefull be uncomfortable in the climate

germany should hopefully play like the squad they have rather than overperform for the tournament, but being the hosts i expect them to outdo themselves yet again

MickyHatton
03-02-2006, 11:31 AM
i love cole down the left...he has amazing skill and is using it properly now

we have one of the best squads around...only argentina can i think of with perhaps a better team across every position, but we dont have any real worrying weaknesses

argentina and brazil should hopefull be uncomfortable in the climate

germany should hopefully play like the squad they have rather than overperform for the tournament, but being the hosts i expect them to outdo themselves yet again

Yeah, fully agree, Germany lost heavily to Italy last night though so hopefully that will knock their confidence.

Good point about the South American sides, the only thing I would say is that Germany is quite hot in the summer so it may not have a big effect?

Family Guy
03-02-2006, 01:16 PM
if everyone stays fit and in form, we have a great chance of doing something at the world cup.

boxstarr
03-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Yeah, fully agree, Germany lost heavily to Italy last night though so hopefully that will knock their confidence.

Good point about the South American sides, the only thing I would say is that Germany is quite hot in the summer so it may not have a big effect?

thats true i went there once with the school and it was too hot for my liking

The Noose
03-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Bring back Gazza.

Hes our only hope.

Boxclever
03-03-2006, 04:56 AM
Bring back Gazza.

Hes our only hope.

Gazza :eek:

We can win it (Without Gazza) :D

!!! Beowulf !!!
03-03-2006, 08:33 AM
With the great Crouchinho, England will romp to world cup triumph.

Crumble
03-03-2006, 04:35 PM
With the great Crouchinho, England will romp to world cup triumph.

Yeah Crouchy is going to jump 14 foot in the air and score a header in the 119th minute against Brazil in the final.........I dreamt it so its going to happen, im a warlock.

IAm...
03-04-2006, 01:28 AM
can the chokers win? not a chance. Don't have nearly as much depth as they seem to think every year.

MickyHatton
03-04-2006, 04:53 AM
can the chokers win? not a chance. Don't have nearly as much depth as they seem to think every year.

Your opinion mate and your entitled to it.

What I would say is this team is far stronger on paper than the 82, 86, 98 and 2002 teams (the world cups I watched), I would put it on par with the Italia 90 squad perhaps even stronger throughout and that team were unlucky not to win by losing on pens in the semi's to Germany so ......

If we hit some kind of good form we will win, I'm sure of that, our players are that good but they have to hit the right form at the right time!

!!! Beowulf !!!
03-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Yeah Crouchy is going to jump 14 foot in the air and score a header in the 119th minute against Brazil in the final.........I dreamt it so its going to happen, im a warlock.

I think he'll score a hatrick in the final, in the 88th, 89th and 90th minutes. Then he'll declare his undying love for Southampton and cancel his contract with Liverpool to move back to Saints. :eek:

The Raging Bull
03-23-2006, 11:43 AM
I think if sven plays our in-form players and not his favourites we will go all the way in germany :)

:boxing:

MickyHatton
03-23-2006, 12:08 PM
I think if sven plays our in-form players and not his favourites we will go all the way in germany :)

OK, explain?

I personally wouldn't have Beckham in, I would play probably with Gerrard on the right and have King and Lampard in the middle with Cole on the left.

I like Beckham, but too much is geared to his game and players like Gerrard and Lampard who have been in much better form over the last few years have to play bit parts! IMO

Sn1
03-23-2006, 12:37 PM
England: When We Win.

Joe Cole, Wayne Rooney & Shaun Wright-Philips (providing Beckham is dropped)
are gonna cause a storm at the worldcup, powerful, skillful, Engful superstars

Sn1
03-23-2006, 12:40 PM

my sentiments exactly.
beckham is dysfunctional. rio is outta form, lampard and gerrard seem
to neutralize each other rather than compliment so just 1 shud play

medium-deek
03-29-2006, 02:47 PM
Shaun Wright Philips is a complete prick. Arsenal were interested in him but he signs for Chelsea where he hardly gets a game. In the world cup year, he ought to be playing every game. :rolleyes:

Talking Turkey
03-29-2006, 04:01 PM
I'd say third or fourth at best.

MickyHatton
03-30-2006, 05:03 AM
Shaun Wright Philips is a complete prick. Arsenal were interested in him but he signs for Chelsea where he hardly gets a game. In the world cup year, he ought to be playing every game. :rolleyes:

MD your right mate,

Arsenal and Liverpool were interested in him, the Liverpool Echo reported that Liverpool had agreed a 10 mill deal for him with City, then Chelsea over doubled the offer.
He is ruining his career IMO and needs to find a club like an Arsenal or Liverpool who are big enough to cover his ambitions but wont make him warm the bench with his arse!
I think Chelsea bought him to stop their rivals having him!

Sn1
03-31-2006, 03:12 PM
hes still alot more effective than david beckham, for england.MD your right mate,

Arsenal and Liverpool were interested in him, the Liverpool Echo reported that Liverpool had agreed a 10 mill deal for him with City, then Chelsea over doubled the offer.
He is ruining his career IMO and needs to find a club like an Arsenal or Liverpool who are big enough to cover his ambitions but wont make him warm the bench with his arse!
I think Chelsea bought him to stop their rivals having him!
wright philips will become a chelsea regular like the AMAZING joe cole.
hes young...yes scott parker made a bad choice, i doubt shaun has :cool:

MickyHatton
04-01-2006, 02:44 AM
hes still alot more effective than david beckham, for england.
wright philips will become a chelsea regular like the AMAZING joe cole.
hes young...yes scott parker made a bad choice, i doubt shaun has :cool:

I hope your right, however Cole forced his way in to the first team in his first season and has managed to stay in, SWP has not managed to do that yet and although he will go to the world cup he wont be a starter, I think that this is one of the most critical years for the English players, strong side and the World Cup is in Europe so.....

Sn1
04-01-2006, 05:09 AM
I hope your right, however Cole forced his way in to the first team in his first season and has managed to stay in, SWP has not managed to do that yet and although he will go to the world cup he wont be a starter, I think that this is one of the most critical years for the English players, strong side and the World Cup is in Europe so.....
if beckham plays all our games we wil not win.
he just isnt the right player for the current england side

joe cole didnt force his way into the team. he came on as a sub
alot & failed to impress. then suddenly his temperament changed.

obviously mourinho finally got through to him that setting up
goals & helping out in defensive duties etc was good for the
team, good for his reputation & especially good for his place.

msagrain
08-04-2007, 06:10 PM
you never know with england

The Raging Bull
08-04-2007, 06:14 PM
you never know with england

The World Cup was last summer mate :D