View Full Version : Johnsons voice

Da Iceman
02-24-2006, 07:25 PM
anybody got a recording of jack johnsons voice

sleazyfellow
02-24-2006, 07:30 PM
if u watch "duke it out" with ali and cus ull hear his voice, i never heard it online however..only on that show

smasher
02-24-2006, 08:47 PM
anybody got a recording of jack johnsons voice
I do. Johnson was well spoken and articulate used proper grammer and did not speak with the 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' voice that blacks were improperly portrayed with in those days...

LondonRingRules
02-25-2006, 10:19 AM
I do. Johnson was well spoken and articulate used proper grammer and did not speak with the 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' voice that blacks were improperly portrayed with in those days...
** Funny stuff.

Johnson spoke the common Texas black dialect found in Galveston at the turn of the century. I'm very familar with the dialect and can still be found today though it's been watered down quite a bit. What Johnson did after winning the title and riches was carefully cultivate a hint of British accent to give him an air of sophistication in the company of the whites he always ran around with. I imagine he had at least 3 distinct English dialects he could switch to as needed, if not a couple of more. He was a bit of a conman who always operated behind a front.

Da Iceman
02-25-2006, 11:27 AM
** Funny stuff.

Johnson spoke the common Texas black dialect found in Galveston at the turn of the century. I'm very familar with the dialect and can still be found today though it's been watered down quite a bit. What Johnson did after winning the title and riches was carefully cultivate a hint of British accent to give him an air of sophistication in the company of the whites he always ran around with. I imagine he had at least 3 distinct English dialects he could switch to as needed, if not a couple of more. He was a bit of a conman who always operated behind a front.
sneaky bastard

smasher
02-25-2006, 01:06 PM
** Funny stuff.

Amazing how you know what Johnson's voice sounded like before the invention of audio recording equipment. FUNNY STUFF. The recording I am referring to was after an exhibition match with Joe Jeanette late in his life. I go by what I see and hear not rumour and suspicion. In that recording Johnson speaks clearly and is well articulated.

Yaman
02-25-2006, 01:27 PM
What about Jack Dempsey? Never heard him speak either.

Kid Achilles
02-25-2006, 01:58 PM
Dempsey had a realtively high voice. It was not the sound you'd expect to come from such a feared power puncher. He's like Tyson in that aspect (though without the lisp). If you rent Requiem for a Heavyweight, you'll see and hear him briefly in a scene in his restaurant.

Dempsey 1919
02-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Dempsey had a realtively high voice. It was not the sound you'd expect to come from such a feared power puncher. He's like Tyson in that aspect (though without the lisp). If you rent Requiem for a Heavyweight, you'll see and hear him briefly in a scene in his restaurant.

also during the pre-fight build-up of the max baer-primo carnera title fight, you could hear dempsey talking to baer. dempsey was the referee of that fight.

LondonRingRules
02-25-2006, 04:00 PM
Amazing how you know what Johnson's voice sounded like before the invention of audio recording equipment. FUNNY STUFF. The recording I am referring to was after an exhibition match with Joe Jeanette late in his life. I go by what I see and hear not rumour and suspicion. In that recording Johnson speaks clearly and is well articulated.
** No doubt he speaks better than you and is more articulate.

Johnson was a very intelligent man, but he didn't develop that accent as a young Texas school boy in segregated Galveston, Texas. There are various audio recordings of him throughout his life. Ken Burns chose not to include any of those recordings because to do so might destroy the politically correct stance that Johnson is always carefully portrayed with. I suggest you study up. There is considerably more to Johnson than one audio recording taken of him as an old man before his death.

LondonRingRules
02-25-2006, 04:03 PM
** Tyson was designed after Dempsey, and interesting that they both shared high pitched voices while being terrible assassins in the ring. Too bad Tyson couldn't follow the rest of the Dempsey model.

Yaman
02-25-2006, 04:11 PM
"Low blows? Low blows? Huh! Motherf**ker you're fittin' to die!"
Ahahaha.

I'd love to hear Dempsey speak. Does annybody have a video of him?

Da Iceman
02-25-2006, 08:52 PM
isnt it funny how alot of big punchers have high voices: marciano, dempsey, tyson. first time i heard marciano's voice i was rollin

Yaman
02-25-2006, 09:08 PM
Hey, i've never heard Marciano speak either. Do you have a video man?

Da Iceman
02-25-2006, 09:51 PM
watch sportscentury rocky marciano, or watch walcott vs. marciano I at the end of it, high as voice

Da Iceman
02-25-2006, 09:51 PM
that music they played touched me

Dempsey1238
02-27-2006, 09:17 PM
Marciano, Dempsey, Tyson, They sound about the same lol.

They can walk into a bar or something, and with this high pitch voice "I can lick any SOB in the House". be yelling that.

And if you DID not know they were Jack Dempsey, Rocky Marciano or Mike Tyson, you may have just laugh.

They were tought, even if they did not sound like it.

Dempsey1238
02-27-2006, 09:20 PM
oh yeah and I heard Jack Dempsey and the Rock talk if one wanted to know.

With Dempsey, I heard him talk after his bout with Cowboy Lurtell, and in his later years on film.

And Marciano on Training film, Fights, interviews(Thinking about it, Dempsey on interviews during retirement, and him training with Max Schmling and Max Baer.)

I heard Jack Johnson speak too. Nice voice. His voice seem outgoing, and he had non of that Black man talk as they protray him in the comics or news papers ete.

I think its a English accent, not 2 sure. Of couse it be part Texas as well.

Kid Achilles
02-27-2006, 11:53 PM
Come to think of it Baer had a somewhat high voice too, and he hit as hard as anyone.

Also do you have the Cowboy Lutrell fight on your computer? I've always wanted to see that.

Dempsey1238
02-28-2006, 12:05 AM
No I dont have it on my computer, It is from Jack Dempsey boxing's best series.

I got it at a store about 7 or so years ago.

Also got Joe Louis, Ali, and Rocky Marciano during that time.

Dempsey 1919
02-28-2006, 02:31 PM
anyone watched legends of the ring on sunday night? it was a two-hour documentary on jack johnson, jack dempsey, joe louis, and muhammad ali.