View Full Version : i wanna start bocing but got questions

tyler3400
01-22-2005, 04:13 PM
hey
i am new to the forum, i am 15 years old and i would like to start boxing.right now i am involved in some martial arts but that isnt relally what i want to be doing. i would like to box but i have yet to findany where around here that hasd a center or anyhting. i live in norwich new york by the way. also i am wanting to get into boxing for the trainign aspect,i owuld like to getin better shape, since i am jsut startign out i was wondering if any one oculd reccomend a work out plan for me. i am 146 pounds and 5 foot 9. i would very much any help of getting into the world of boxing and getting started.

thanks
tyler

Fistecles
01-22-2005, 04:56 PM
You need someone to show you how to punch properly. Anything anyone tells you here is useless without proper technique. You need to be shown first. You need to find a gym in your area

Atwa_66
01-22-2005, 11:55 PM
hey
i am new to the forum, i am 15 years old and i would like to start boxing.right now i am involved in some martial arts but that isnt relally what i want to be doing. i would like to box but i have yet to findany where around here that hasd a center or anyhting. i live in norwich new york by the way. also i am wanting to get into boxing for the trainign aspect,i owuld like to getin better shape, since i am jsut startign out i was wondering if any one oculd reccomend a work out plan for me. i am 146 pounds and 5 foot 9. i would very much any help of getting into the world of boxing and getting started.

thanks
tyler
Awesome, you're just like me
I'm 16, 5'9 and about 145
I'm also in training currently
And will be fighting by this summer
Good Luck with boxing bud

BlackBeltNow
01-23-2005, 12:59 AM
what martial art? if you do that steroetype traditional asian stuff, i don't think you shoudl stay there longer. it's good youre 14. i did traditional martial arts til very late, and i found out the hard way they don't work.

tyler3400
01-23-2005, 09:02 AM
wellthe martial arts i was doing os tae kwan do i have been wiht it sincei was 6. i am currently a red belt and the neck step is black belt. i also have ofund out that in a real fight it doesnt work. i am having touble fiing a gym around me any places that i can go to and look up gyms. thanks

spinksjinx
01-23-2005, 09:07 AM
wellthe martial arts i was doing os tae kwan do i have been wiht it sincei was 6. i am currently a red belt and the neck step is black belt. i also have ofund out that in a real fight it doesnt work. i am having touble fiing a gym around me any places that i can go to and look up gyms. thanks

Call your local boys and girls club, contact some Youth centers....If you have Toughman contests in your area, find out the promoter and they will usually know of a few trainers in your area.

Get your black belt, and then go to boxing since you are that close.

Where are you from. (city and state) I will try and find you a trainer, if possible.

I have also noticed a lot of the time and it is becoming popular as of late. A lot of people are opting out on opening gyms and just training fighters in their home, so you will have to look deeper than your telephone directory.

tyler3400
01-23-2005, 11:23 AM
ok i am in norwihc new york. i loked in phone book already. the closest gym in know of is liek 2hours away or osmehitn like that. there ar eno events like oyu said ht etough man contest around here, do you think the YMCA would no anyhtign let me know if you find anyhting o and if oyu need it my zip is 13815
thanks

Atwa_66
01-23-2005, 12:07 PM
ok i am in norwihc new york. i loked in phone book already. the closest gym in know of is liek 2hours away or osmehitn like that. there ar eno events like oyu said ht etough man contest around here, do you think the YMCA would no anyhtign let me know if you find anyhting o and if oyu need it my zip is 13815
thanks
Damn, it's kinda weird, we are having identical problems...
My closest Gym is about and hour and a half away,
And it's close to impossible to find a trainer around here
I have been looking for awhile and couldn't find anything
My advice, if you want to box, Never move to Pen Argyl, Pa.
:(

spinksjinx
01-23-2005, 12:23 PM
Ymca
(607) 336-9622
68 N Broad St Norwich, NY

Contact the Y they might have a lot something, Also other fitness centers, occasionally have boxing classes as well.

http://www.boxinggyms.com/addresses/newyork.htm

Check their and see if any is close to your area as well.

Mick Hucknall
01-23-2005, 01:18 PM
Did you win youe fight Spinks.?

Pugnacious_Z
02-17-2005, 02:17 AM
yeah start, do urself like i do, never been to gym till now, and ive just started and the trainers cant find one thing wrong with my technique

Prospekt
03-16-2005, 10:39 AM
while you are waiting to learn proper technique it wont hurt to jump rope, do pushups, situps, pullups, chin ups, and run. while awaiting proper advice stick to bodyweight excersises