View Full Version : Hardest punch you've ever seen?

the traveler
02-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Anyone that has seen a few fights knows a true ko when they see them.

In your opinion, what's the hardest punch you've ever seen?

#1 on my list would have to be Mike Tyson's 1985 firt round KO of Michael Jack Johnson.

When I saw the devastating right hand land squarely on MJ's face, I just had to cring. I've never seeen a man hit that hard. The amount of perspiration that flew out of that mans head made it look like he got hit in the head by a buldozer.

RockyMarcianofan00
02-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Anyone that has seen a few fights knows a true ko when they see them.

In your opinion, what's the hardest punch you've ever seen?

#1 on my list would have to be Mike Tyson's 1985 firt round KO of Michael Jack Johnson.

When I saw the devastating right hand land squarely on MJ's face, I just had to cring. I've never seeen a man hit that hard. The amount of perspiration that flew out of that mans head made it look like he got hit in the head by a buldozer.

that was good
but the one of the hardest one hit KO punches ever is definitly

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c49/IrishInsomniac00/Clipboard01.jpg

was that the guy Tyson knocked out with the long hair? cause if it was that guy got ktfo by tyson

Yogi
02-23-2006, 08:17 PM
that was good
but the one of the hardest one hit KO punches ever is definitly

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c49/IrishInsomniac00/Clipboard01.jpg

That wasn't the KO punch from Marciano/Walcott, Rock.

Brockton Lip
02-23-2006, 08:23 PM
That wasn't the KO punch from Marciano/Walcott, Rock.

I think that set it up. Then, if I recall, Walcott went on the ropes and got hit again which made him go down.

sleazyfellow
02-23-2006, 08:27 PM
yeah poor micheal had his jaw broken in that fight, from that punch accually, but hardest punches i seen gotta b marciano/walcott, also walcotts perfect left hook against ezzard in his title winning fight, charles head looked like it could snapped off his shoulders

Yogi
02-23-2006, 08:28 PM
I think that set it up. Then, if I recall, Walcott went on the ropes and got hit again which made him go down.

From what I've read that famous photo there was from the second or third round of the fight, but a simple way you can tell that it wasn't the KO punch is by looking at Rocky's left eye...You really don't see any swelling on the eye from that photo, whereas the actual KO photo shows that Rocky's left eye was basically closed shut from the damage Walcott dished out earlier.

Yogi
02-23-2006, 08:36 PM
This site works off & on, but if you can access it you'll see the actual KO punch from Marciano/Walcott in the upper right corner amongst that group of photos there;

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Arena/1047/Rock.html

Oasis_Lad
02-23-2006, 08:38 PM
what about hearns ko of duran

bigsmoothh
02-23-2006, 08:44 PM
hopkins body punch to oscar.

RockyMarcianofan00
02-23-2006, 10:12 PM
From what I've read that famous photo there was from the second or third round of the fight, but a simple way you can tell that it wasn't the KO punch is by looking at Rocky's left eye...You really don't see any swelling on the eye from that photo, whereas the actual KO photo shows that Rocky's left eye was basically closed shut from the damage Walcott dished out earlier.
that punch i think was the knockout
if not it was the knockdown before the knock out

RockyMarcianofan00
02-23-2006, 10:13 PM
This site works off & on, but if you can access it you'll see the actual KO punch from Marciano/Walcott in the upper right corner amongst that group of photos there;

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Arena/1047/Rock.html
o yea
now i see it

Yaman
02-24-2006, 08:07 AM
Tyson breaking Johson's jaw. He flew across the ring and stayed on the canvas for severall minutes. Thats impressive for a fight that last something like 30 seconds.

Da Iceman
02-24-2006, 08:45 AM
marciano's ko of walcott that cross was deadly

jspivey
02-24-2006, 08:51 AM
The Lewis-Rahman series was preety brutal. Also Trinidad-Mayorga and Pryor-Arguello.

the traveler
02-25-2006, 12:49 PM
I'm not a huge Marciano fan, but I have to admit that the punch he landed against Walcott was brutal. It was short, precise, and very, very crisp. I haven't seen many fighters in any sport slump lifelessly to the ground like Walcott did when he got hit with that punch.

But, in my estimation, the Tyson punch looked like it was the harder of the two. I'm no physics major, but I'd say that the windup, the leg drive, and the force behind Mike's ko of Johnson, has to make it one of the hardest punches ever witnessed in boxing.

Southpaw Stinger
02-25-2006, 02:50 PM
1. The Foreman punch that lifted Frazier off the canvas

2. Marciano's punch that finished off Walcott and Louis.

3. lots of Tysons punchers!

Thoth
02-25-2006, 06:44 PM
I have to go with Thomas Hearns' Right Hand of God that slayed Roberto Duran. Duran being the reason I got into boxing, when I first saw that fight, it was crushing. I swear I felt like he hit me. And that's why it's my #1.

Da Iceman
02-25-2006, 07:56 PM
were talkin about the hardest punch not the funniest. if tysons punch was harder then rockys why wasnt johnson unconsious. mine are rocky ko's walcott and patterson vs. ingo when he wins back the title

SquareCircle
02-25-2006, 08:01 PM
it was cuz walcott was coming in with his own power shot when rock caught him in the 13th round with that vicious right hand. johnson wasnt producing **** for leverage when mike caught him, thats why it was the lesser punch.

Yaman
02-25-2006, 08:09 PM
were talkin about the hardest punch not the funniest. if tysons punch was harder then rockys why wasnt johnson unconsious. mine are rocky ko's walcott and patterson vs. ingo when he wins back the title

It was because Tyson hit him on the jaw wich he BROKE. Marciano hit the mofo on the temple or something.

Da Iceman
02-25-2006, 08:23 PM
It was because Tyson hit him on the jaw wich he BROKE. Marciano hit the mofo on the temple or something.
actually the cheek

Yaman
02-25-2006, 08:33 PM
actually the cheek

Oh yeah, didn't that punch mess up his natural bone structure of his face?

Da Iceman
02-25-2006, 08:51 PM
yea i think

the traveler
02-27-2006, 02:28 PM

You ever considered that the Walcott punch was done in the 13th round when Walcott was tired? The combination of his fatigue and the punch are what knocked him out cold, not the punch itself. And, seriously, did you see the Johsnon punch? I wasn't there, but I'd say that the guy was unconcious for a moment. Here's how powerfull the Tyson punch was: when Johsnon got hit, the ref immediately called the fight; however, when Walcott was hit, there was still a count that went on. That speaks on the perception of the impact of both punches. When you saw the Tyson punch you were like, owww, this guy is definetly done.

Plus, Walcott was able to get up soon after the ko; Johnson was on the canvas for the better half of at least 10 minutes. His jaw was totally destroyed, also.

jabsRstiff
02-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Mike Tyson outweighed Johnson by quite a bit.
Guy was a blown-up cruiserweight !
It was a bomb, but considering the fact that Johnson was a much smaller guy, & a mediocrity- it doesn't rate.

Hearns KO Duran
Jackson KO Norris
Benitez KO Hope
Arguello KO Rooney
Spinks KO Marvin Johnson

jabsRstiff
02-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Tyson outweighed Johnson by 23 1/2 lbs.

Totally unimpressed.

the traveler
02-27-2006, 02:38 PM
Mike Tyson outweighed Johnson by quite a bit.
Guy was a blown-up cruiserweight !
It was a bomb, but considering the fact that Johnson was a much smaller guy, & a mediocrity- it doesn't rate.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but that really doesn't make any sense. What does a guys size have to do with the power of the punch? Are you saying that if Johnson was bigger or a better fighter that that some how would have made the punch harder? lol

the traveler
02-27-2006, 02:40 PM
Tyson outweighed Johnson by 23 1/2 lbs.

Totally unimpressed.

Call it an unimpressive ko if you want, but the topic of this thread is HARDEST PUNCH not most spectacular or impressive.

Tyson's ko of Johnson, was pretty impressive in my book, because of the power behind it.

jabsRstiff
02-27-2006, 02:41 PM
I'm not trying to be an ass, but that really doesn't make any sense. What does a guys size have to do with the power of the punch? Are you saying that if Johnson was bigger or a better fighter that that some how would have made the punch harder? lol

No...I'm saying if Johnson was bigger, the punch would not have had the same impact.

Imagine if instead of hitting Terry Norris with that right, Julian Jackson had hit Manny Pacquiao ?
Pacquiao would be dead.

Same weight difference.....

jabsRstiff
02-27-2006, 02:43 PM
It doesn't take as much power to hurt a smaller man.
That's why I don't think the punch was as hard as you do.

jabsRstiff
02-27-2006, 02:46 PM
If Tyson-Johnson is the hardest punch you've ever seen....then that means it's the hardest Mike Tyson punch you've seen, or know of.

That means, the hardest Mike Tyson punch you've ever seen, KO'd a guy 23 & 1/2 lbs smaller than Mike.
That, means you don't think Mike hits all that hard, lb4lb., does it ?

the traveler
02-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Still, that doesn't lessen the power behind the punch. It may lessen the impact a little-- maybe a couple percentage points less broken jaw? lol-- but Like Mike and the commentators said after the punch, I don't care who you are, you would have gone down with that punch.

I don't agree, guy. Put it in this context: A corvette runs into a baby stroller at 170 mph and totally obliterates it. Now that same corvette runs into a steele wall at the same speed and causes a significant dent in the wall. Same speed right? Same power. The object of the force doesn't lessen the force it just lessens the impact a little. Plus, we're talking jaws, here. I've seen 120 pound guys take hard punches and stay up; whereas, a 220 pound guy with a weak jaw would take the same punch and fold, easily.

the traveler
02-27-2006, 02:54 PM
If Tyson-Johnson is the hardest punch you've ever seen....then that means it's the hardest Mike Tyson punch you've seen, or know of.

That means, the hardest Mike Tyson punch you've ever seen, KO'd a guy 23 & 1/2 lbs smaller than Mike.
That, means you don't think Mike hits all that hard, lb4lb., does it ?

Dude, read what I just said. Size isn't always a clear cut indicative of a persons ability to sustain a punch. Plus, I can't see anyone taking that punch and standing up. Do you honestly think that a person could take the punch like Johnson did and stand? And besides, the power behind the punch is what make it powerful. Force, buddy, force.

jabsRstiff
02-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Still, that doesn't lessen the power behind the punch. It may lessen the impact a little-- maybe a couple percentage points less broken jaw? lol-- but Like Mike and the commentators said after the punch, I don't care who you are, you would have gone down with that punch.

I don't agree, guy. Put it in this context: A corvette runs into a baby stroller at 170 mph and totally obliterates it. Now that same corvette runs into a steele wall at the same speed and causes a significant dent in the wall. Same speed right? Same power. The object of the force doesn't lessen the force it just lessens the impact a little. Plus, we're talking jaws, here. I've seen 120 pound guys take hard punches and stay up; whereas, a 220 pound guy with a weak jaw would take the same punch and fold, easily.

Johnson was a 196 lb mediocrity. All of that, does make that punch have more of an effect.
I seriously doubt that punch would have anywhere near the same impact on a 215-220lb fighter, who can fight.

DRZ
02-27-2006, 02:56 PM

Couldnt of said it better myself.
You wanna see the Tyson punch again to see the impact, then download this:

Mike Tyson vs Michael "Jack" Johnson
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JP7DT7V2
86.1 MB

jabsRstiff
02-27-2006, 02:59 PM
I think....most people who really know boxing would agree with me.

If you guys think significant weight & class issues don't make a difference, oh well.

I think it's a huge factor.

the traveler
02-27-2006, 03:01 PM
I seriously doubt that punch would have anywhere near the same impact on a 215-220lb fighter, who can fight.

I don't know, man. It looked like a ****in sledgehammer. I don't know of a man alive that could have taken the punch in the stationary position that Johsnon was in and still be standing. If you know of one, find me that guy, and we should start constucting our buildings with his jaw bones.

DRZ
02-27-2006, 03:02 PM
I don't know, man. It looked like a ****in sledgehammer. I don't know of a man alive that could have taken the punch in the stationary position that Johsnon was in and still be standing. If you know of one, find me that guy, and we should start constucting our buildings with his jaw bones.

Not only his jaw broke, some teeth were lost too.

jabsRstiff
02-27-2006, 03:03 PM

George Foreman, Oliver McCall, Ray Mercer...
wouldn't have blinked.
Big, world-class fighters.

the traveler
02-27-2006, 03:03 PM
I think....most people who really know boxing would agree with me.

If you guys think significant weight & class issues don't make a difference, oh well.

I think it's a huge factor.

On the contrary, I think anyone with any common sense or slight knowledge of physics would understand what I'm saying. Again, it may lessen IMPACT a little, but FORCE, which equals the "hardness of a punch", is what we're talking about here.

jabsRstiff
02-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Tyosn's greatest punch = his KO of an 11-5-1 cruiserweight.

the traveler
02-27-2006, 03:04 PM
George Foreman, Oliver McCall, Ray Mercer...
wouldn't have blinked.
Big, world-class fighters.

LOL, wow. Well, it's your opinion and I gotta respect your right to have it.

El Guapo
02-27-2006, 03:30 PM
herbie hide fighting conroy nelson,
now that is one cold guy!!!

RockyMarcianofan00
02-27-2006, 03:37 PM
last night i saw the Louis Schmeling fight

two of the hardest punches i've seen have got to be the one Louis laned on Schmelings jaw which you could hear schmeling yell from (they thought he broke his neck) and then the paralizing body shot he landed

Yaman
02-27-2006, 05:26 PM
last night i saw the Louis Schmeling fight

two of the hardest punches i've seen have got to be the one Louis laned on Schmelings jaw which you could hear schmeling yell from (they thought he broke his neck) and then the paralizing body shot he landed

I swear this post gave me a flashback of a docu i saw 5 years ago. Yeah, Max was yelling because the punch was that devastating. Its rare to see a fighter scream because of a punch.

Dempsey 1919
02-27-2006, 05:36 PM
I swear this post gave me a flashback of a docu i saw 5 years ago. Yeah, Max was yelling because the punch was that devastating. Its rare to see a fighter scream because of a punch.

that must have been one hard punch. :eek:

NAB
02-27-2006, 06:23 PM
On the contrary, I think anyone with any common sense or slight knowledge of physics would understand what I'm saying. Again, it may lessen IMPACT a little, but FORCE, which equals the "hardness of a punch", is what we're talking about here.

I can see both sides, but I think the fact is, Tyson's right hand that dropped Holmes was probably a harder punch, because of who it dropped. I could hit someone way smaller than me with a decent punch, and hurt them badly. I could hit someone a lot bigger than me with a harder punch & it wouldn't drop them, therefor wouldn't look as hard.

Dempsey 1919
02-27-2006, 06:27 PM
I can see both sides, but I think the fact is, Tyson's right hand that dropped Holmes was probably a harder punch, because of who it dropped. I could hit someone way smaller than me with a decent punch, and hurt them badly. I could hit someone a lot bigger than me with a harder punch & it wouldn't drop them, therefor wouldn't look as hard.

that makes sense.