View Full Version : Sonny Liston`s Jab

Kid Canada
02-16-2006, 03:32 PM
A couple questions about this.

1. Did Liston have the hardest left jab ever?

2. How did he throw his jab so hard? When I`m in the gym I really work on my jab, but I can`t seem to get the sting I want behind it.

Dempsey 1919
02-16-2006, 03:35 PM

2. How did he throw his jab so hard? When I`m in the gym I really work on my jab, but I can`t seem to get the sting I want behind it.

i'm not sure if it was the hardest, but it definetely was the best combination of power and speed, so i would say it's arguably the best jab in boxing history.

smasher
02-16-2006, 03:40 PM

Liston allegedly KO'd Roy Harris with a jab. Ali is considered to have the fastest jab, Liston the hardest and Holmes a hybrid of the two. You need leverage to throw a powerful jab so start with you stance and your balance. You must also put your shoulder and weight behind it and think less about speed and more about drilling a hole through the bag. I could show you easier than I could tell you. Once you have practiced this, drink a few Alpine's then head over to downtown Moncton and test your new found leverage on the locals...

Southpaw Stinger
02-16-2006, 03:42 PM
Liston had a long reach for his size. He flung out that long powerful jab with speed and accuracy. It was a combination of speed and power, and although it wasn't the hardest it was almost certainly the most effective.

Kid Achilles
02-16-2006, 05:14 PM
I like Holmes's jab over Liston's. Louis had a great jab as well.

You're problem is you're probably not stepping in with your jab. Ask your coach to show you how to do this properly. If you want to stop a guy in his tracks, you need to step in with the jab and bring your weight into it.

smasher
02-16-2006, 05:28 PM
You're problem is you're probably not stepping in with your jab. Ask your coach to show you how to do this properly. If you want to stop a guy in his tracks, you need to step in with the jab and bring your weight into it.

Absolutely. Think of it as a power shot and not just a punch to set up the right hand. If you don't step into it it will be an arm punch...

leff
02-16-2006, 05:30 PM
aaaah but than its defined as straight left and not a jab.

catskills23
02-16-2006, 05:44 PM
lewis didnt step in to his jab .

smasher
02-16-2006, 05:48 PM
lewis didnt step in to his jab .

He didn't have to. He planted his feet and weighed over 250 lbs. I don't recall seeing him ever stagger or floor an opponent with his jab...

king4fore
02-16-2006, 09:35 PM
i'm not sure if it was the hardest, but it definetely was the best combination of power and speed, so i would say it's arguably the best jab in boxing history.
**** i heard he could knock out teeth with his jab

Southpaw Stinger
02-17-2006, 07:33 AM
Liston could knock out teeth with his stare!!

supaduck
02-17-2006, 08:35 AM
Yeah, also, I don't know if anyone else heard about this, but when Liston was doing training shows (crowds were allowed to watch him train inside a gym from a distance) none of his trainers were allowed to be taller than 5'6 to make him look even bigger than he already was.

Southpaw Stinger
02-17-2006, 08:58 AM
He also put towels under his robe when he made his entrance to the ring and whenthe instructions were read out. This made him look much bigger. He had a great shock when he had to stand face to face with Ali because he looked tiny in comparison. Listons expression on his face whilst looking up to Ali/Clay says it all!

Kid Achilles
02-17-2006, 10:29 AM
Ali was taller but Liston was certainly not tiny in comparison. In fact Liston was much stronger looking than Ali IMO, in spite of what people say now. Ali looked like a lanky teenager compared to the powerfully built Sonny.

Dempsey 1919
02-17-2006, 01:21 PM
**** i heard he could knock out teeth with his jab

yeah, angelo dundee actually saw liston do that to a fighter.