View Full Version : Gerald McClellan

supaduck
02-15-2006, 04:07 PM
He was a great fighter, super hard hitter.. I think he would have won the fight with Benn had his brain not been damaged. What do you guys think he would have done if he'd stayed around?

JuicyJuice
02-15-2006, 04:27 PM
He'd of beaten Roy Jones and won the world light-heavyweight title too.

The_One77
02-15-2006, 04:35 PM
He would of knocked out most fighters for sure

supaduck
02-15-2006, 04:35 PM
I feel real sorry for the guy, he had everything and just lost it and now his life is ruined. :( Of course I don't blame Nigel, he was just trying to win the fight, he didn't want that to happen at all.

supaduck
02-17-2006, 05:01 AM
McClellan V Roy Jones Jr. would have been an awesoem fight. McClellan beat Jones in the amateurs, but the pro Jones was a lot better than the amateur one (though so was the pro McClellan).

Two Fisted Piston
02-17-2006, 06:15 AM
I feel the exact way as supaduck does!

Gerald was my favourite fighter!

I think him & Jones were both peaking at the same time
Gerald had amazing power and was fast and kept his power through every round...I think he woulda beat Jones

supaduck
02-17-2006, 06:17 AM
Woulda been an all time great, but that fight with Benn ****ed him... He had it nearly over in round 1, that shows you how great and powerful he was.

The Wire
02-17-2006, 06:23 AM
The Mclellan/Benn fight is my favourite fight of all time, I take it over Barrera/Morales 1, Corrales/Castillo 1, Holyfield/Tyson 1 etc etc. But, in the 1st when Benn was under pressure, he was ducking below the belt, as well as being helped back into the ring when he got knocked out of it. The ref was absolutely hopeless and there is no doubt that his ineptitude contributed to Gerald's injuries.

He was a superb fighter, exciting as they come and one of the hardest p4p punchers of all time. He nearly knocked Benn out about 6 times in that fight and it is to Nigel's enormous credit that he was able to fight back and defeat him. However, Gerald looked uncomfortable for a while in that fight. This no doubt contributed to Nigel's win (although nothing should be taken away from him) and is one of boxing's greatest tragedy. I honestly believe that Mclellan would have gone down as one of the top 5 p4p fighters OF ALL TIME if he hadnt been injured.

supaduck
02-18-2006, 08:21 AM
I think it's fair to say he was an all time great who never fulfilled his potential (as he couldn't, due to his injuries).

MickyHatton
02-20-2006, 06:09 AM
Fully agree, great fighter such a shame, anyone know how he is doing?

Obviously very similar is Michael Watson, he beat Benn and had just floored Eubank when he got hurt, another who could have been a great fighter!

He is doing OK, I met him about 10 months ago at Charity Boxing Gala, obviously has a lot of problems still but does have a decent quality of life considering!

Southpaw Stinger
02-20-2006, 07:24 AM
He was an amzing fighter. Full credit to Benn for coming back from a battering round one to win in the 10th via TKO. It was strange to see McClellan slump down onto one knee and be there for the full count. Waste of talent to sustain that amount of brain damage.

jabsRstiff
02-20-2006, 08:30 AM
What you all are failing to point out....is the reason he lost to Benn....& why had he taken Benn out in that first round, he would have been easily beaten by Jones.
The dude totally forgot how to box, by '95. Too many quick & easy KO's...& getting rid of Manny Steward.

He just threw the right, & occasionally follwed with the hook to the body.
No real jab, no combos, no patience- whatsoever.

He had the ability, power, & foundation for greatness.....but things became too easy for him in the ring, & that cost him his career.

supaduck
02-20-2006, 09:17 AM
He didn't totally forget how to box, there was nothing wrong with him. The reason for this fights outcome is because he took Benn way to lightly and failed to realise he would actually need to box in this fight. If he had fought Roy Jones Jr, do you really think he would have tried the first round knockout stunt? He knew RJJ was able to withstand that, but not Benn (who turned out to be way tougher than anyone imagined). One question I always aked myself was why didn't Benn fight Jones? He'd just beaten McClellan, who was pretty much a stepping stone up to Jones..

The Wire
02-20-2006, 09:47 AM
He didn't totally forget how to box, there was nothing wrong with him. The reason for this fights outcome is because he took Benn way to lightly and failed to realise he would actually need to box in this fight. If he had fought Roy Jones Jr, do you really think he would have tried the first round knockout stunt? He knew RJJ was able to withstand that, but not Benn (who turned out to be way tougher than anyone imagined). One question I always aked myself was why didn't Benn fight Jones? He'd just beaten McClellan, who was pretty much a stepping stone up to Jones..
Good question, and what a fight that would have been. To be fair though, the Mclellan fight ruined Benn and I think Roy would have made mince meat of him after it.

ralfsmith
02-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Oh its very interesting. Could you provide me more information ?

johntvery@operamail.com

johntvery@hotmail.com

The Noose
02-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Geralds defence wasnt great. As we saw in the Benn fight.

If a super middleweight Nigel Benn (kinda slow in my opinion, and without a great chin) can beat him, then i dont see Jones who was powerful and exceptionally quick at super middleweight would have had that much of a problem with Gerald.

The Noose
02-20-2006, 02:30 PM

He would have fought Jones if he didnt get beaten my Malinga.

Jones would have destroyed old Benn.

supaduck
02-20-2006, 04:45 PM
Geralds defence wasnt great. As we saw in the Benn fight. If a super middleweight Nigel Benn (kinda slow in my opinion, and without a great chin) can beat him, then i dont see Jones who was powerful and exceptionally quick at super middleweight would have had that much of a problem with Gerald.

Your forgetting that the fight ended because McClellan had a brain clot which could have killed him. Had Benn not thrown any rabbit punches or that headbutt, McClellan may have actually beat him

He absolutely nailed him in the first, but failed to land on the chin. Plus didn't McClellan beat Jones in the amateurs? I think in the pros McClellan probably would have beat him.

The Noose
02-20-2006, 10:22 PM
Your forgetting that the fight ended because McClellan had a brain clot which could have killed him. Had Benn not thrown any rabbit punches or that headbutt, McClellan may have actually beat him

He absolutely nailed him in the first, but failed to land on the chin. Plus didn't McClellan beat Jones in the amateurs? I think in the pros McClellan probably would have beat him.

I wouldnt say Benn headbutted him. Certainatly not on purpose, he fell over, and barley caught McClellan with his head. Plus that was at the end of the fight. The rabbit punches were bad. But he took huge right hands and left hooks for 10 rounds. Maybe they were more the cause of the bloodclot?
McClellan seemed to be in trouble from the 5th round. His breathing was very heavy and he started blinking later.

The Benn fight is not a great example of McClellan, because we dont know how early on he was in trouble.

But, he couldnt finish Benn off, plus wen he tried boxing, he wasnt effective. If Benn could catch him, Jones would have easily.
But like i said, McClellan wasnt right from early on.

JuicyJuice
02-21-2006, 02:18 AM
If he had fought Roy Jones Jr, do you really think he would have tried the first round knockout stunt?
He promised that Jones Jr wouldn't last two rounds with him.

JuicyJuice
02-21-2006, 02:18 AM
He knew RJJ was able to withstand that
Your joking right??

JuicyJuice
02-21-2006, 02:20 AM
One question I always aked myself was why didn't Benn fight Jones?
Well, unless you were hiding under a rock that was the fight everybody wanted to see for 12 months. Jones said Benn was the only challenge out there for him but that he wouldn't fight for Don King.

JuicyJuice
02-21-2006, 02:23 AM
Geralds defence wasnt great. As we saw in the Benn fight.

If a super middleweight Nigel Benn (kinda slow in my opinion, and without a great chin) can beat him, then i dont see Jones who was powerful and exceptionally quick at super middleweight would have had that much of a problem with Gerald.
Jones would have stood no chance against McClellan according to Michael Moorer. McClellan had Jones pinned against the ropes every time they sparred, and was the last guy to legitimately beat Jones before Tarver got him (and apparently it was a one-sided beatdown).

As for a super middleweight Nigel Benn, he was ducking and weaving under punches as well as anybody (whereas Jones would just run) and placing shots to the vital points. Against McClellan though, he brought the beast back because he knew he couldn't out-box him.

JuicyJuice
02-21-2006, 02:26 AM
Your forgetting that the fight ended because McClellan had a brain clot which could have killed him. Had Benn not thrown any rabbit punches or that headbutt, McClellan may have actually beat him.
Dude, McClellan was lucky to come out of there alive. Benn hit him with about 10,000 knockout punches. Benn's the hardest hitter to ever grace the middleweight division, but didn't punch anybody as hard as he could post-Watson until bringing the beast back for McClellan.

McClellan - best chin I've ever seen.

JuicyJuice
02-21-2006, 02:28 AM
If Benn could catch him, Jones would have easily.
Totally disagree, Benn's spring was second to none. When Benn bent at the waist in front of you, you didn't have a chance to get out of the way.

At his very best, Benn was in a class of his own.

The Noose
02-21-2006, 09:13 AM
Totally disagree, Benn's spring was second to none. When Benn bent at the waist in front of you, you didn't have a chance to get out of the way.

At his very best, Benn was in a class of his own.

I agree with ur points.

But i still say Jones was incredibly fast and accurate at his best.
He was faster than Benn, and therefore i believe would have been able to outbox McClellan.
I havent seen him sparring, or the amatuer fight with Jones. Pro Jones improved an awful lot by the time he was Super Middleweight champ. So i dont know how relavent the McClellan fight was.

Benn was amazing against McClellan. And his movement coming in under punches was great. Reminded me of the footage ive seen of Dempsy and Henry Armstrong.

McClellan was a great puncher, and could have KO'd Jones, but id have Jones as favourite at Supermiddle.

supaduck
02-21-2006, 05:05 PM
The amateur fight and sparring domination are quite relevant because McClellan improved an equal amount after leaving the amateurs and moving up to super middle. I'd say McClellan for this one.

The Noose
02-21-2006, 05:37 PM
The amateur fight and sparring domination are quite relevant because McClellan improved an equal amount after leaving the amateurs and moving up to super middle. I'd say McClellan for this one.

Yea, but it sounds like hearsay to me.
Ive always heard these stories from the amatuers and sparring sessions. They all seem like legend to me.

Until i see the footage, i aint convinced.

But im also biased towards Jones. Plus i just want to have the last word.

supaduck
02-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Yeah but look at McClellan's record. The Benn fight only half counts because he had a legitimate reason for it to be a no contest (his brain clotted). He had two points losses before that, but he obviously improved hugely (his KOs of Julian Jackson were awesome imo). He just looked to me like the real deal, and I think he was class. I reckon he woulda beat Jones.

lazyitis
02-22-2006, 07:18 PM
supaduck, please stfu, noob.

supaduck
02-23-2006, 06:15 AM
http://ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/negative6.gif

pr20
03-02-2006, 11:00 AM
I agree with you Jab. I just saw a collection of his fights an while he looked awesome against some weaker comp he absolutely took to many shots. he forgot about the defense that he was starting to put together under emanuel Stewrt. In my opinion he would not have beaten Roy.

supaduck
03-05-2006, 06:54 AM
Bull****, he used his power to stun opponents then battered them on the ropes, i've seen him box as well.

Stiv Rex
03-09-2006, 09:34 PM
I think him & Jones were both peaking at the same time
Gerald had amazing power and was fast and kept his power through every round...I think he woulda beat Jones

he was fast, but jones was beyond fast. hasnt been a light heavy or super middle ever with roy jones combination of speed and power.
it would have been a good fight, no question, but mcclellan wouldnt be as fast or strong and would have to turn boxer, something he wasnt inclined to do. jones would take him out, but it would be late in the fight, from 10 on.