View Full Version : British soldiers - right or wrong?

MickyHatton
02-15-2006, 08:41 AM
With the pictures flying round the press about the soldiers in Iraq assualting the teenagers, whats your thoughts?

I served 14 years in the Army and served in Gulf War 1 not to mentioned Northern Ireland and Bosnia and other places, keeping in mind that this incident happened two years ago almost at the height of the troubles out and the fact that we dont know what had provoked this attack, maybe this was justified?

To me it look co-ordinated, as if they had been ordered to make a statement to a group for some reason, we did similar things when I served, if a group or individuals threw petrol bombs or bricks or worse then we split the group by force and administered a payoff in the form of a rough house arrest.
After all they had tried to kill us and would continue to do so....

Iraq is in a state of alert, if this had been on the streets of Manachester then yes it would be OTT but it wasn't, these insurgents play big boys games therefore must expect the soldiers to react accordingly!

Oasis_Lad
02-15-2006, 09:08 AM
what those particular sodiers done was plain wrong
no human being deserves to be treated that way

El Guapo
02-15-2006, 09:23 AM
no they defenatly souldnt have done that,
but they will think again next time, so i suppose they got it into them, but its still wrong!

medium-deek
02-15-2006, 09:42 AM
Its totally unacceptable behaviour and the fact that it has taken nearly 2 years for this to come out is worrying.

MickyHatton
02-15-2006, 10:19 AM
Don't want to patronise anyone and I'm not saying what they did was right but its easy to judge people sat on your cosy sofa at home.
We do not know what those Iraqi kids did, the likely hood is that they had done a serious wrong doing, we have seen one part of an overall event.
Soldiers do not got taught how to be diplomatic or sensitive, they are trained to fight, if you were stood in a line and were repeatedly petrol bombed, stoned, spat at, shot at, grenades threw at you, car bombs driven at you, suicide bombers running toward you would you say please dont bomb me, please dont throw stones at me?
Or would you do as you have been taught and address the problem by force?
These guys and girls are not Policemen they are soldiers, their job is to defend their country and follow the orders of their Country via an elected leader.
Therefore we elected Blair, therefore we have played a part however small in the decision to send these soldiers into an enviroment where there lives and the lives of their friends are in constant danger, we have done this whilst we sit at home typing on a boxing forum with our big 'we know better hats on'.
Then we judge them and condemn them!
Vietnam revisited British style.
If they have done anything wrong they will go to prison, but do not judge them lightly until you have been where they are at!

El Guapo
02-15-2006, 12:29 PM
Don't want to patronise anyone and I'm not saying what they did was right but its easy to judge people sat on your cosy sofa at home.
We do not know what those Iraqi kids did, the likely hood is that they had done a serious wrong doing, we have seen one part of an overall event.
Soldiers do not got taught how to be diplomatic or sensitive, they are trained to fight, if you were stood in a line and were repeatedly petrol bombed, stoned, spat at, shot at, grenades threw at you, car bombs driven at you, suicide bombers running toward you would you say please dont bomb me, please dont throw stones at me?
Or would you do as you have been taught and address the problem by force?
These guys and girls are not Policemen they are soldiers, their job is to defend their country and follow the orders of their Country via an elected leader.
Therefore we elected Blair, therefore we have played a part however small in the decision to send these soldiers into an enviroment where there lives and the lives of their friends are in constant danger, we have done this whilst we sit at home typing on a boxing forum with our big 'we know better hats on'.
Then we judge them and condemn them!
Vietnam revisited British style.
If they have done anything wrong they will go to prison, but do not judge them lightly until you have been where they are at!

yea, i know exactally what your getting at, but this will just create more beef, except for those who were beaten, or maybe not! but id of just said ****em and walk-off, thats if it were just the supposed stone throwing!

EXIGE
02-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Totally unacceptable, and should not be tolerated. The soldiers are there to increase the peace, not defy the peace. What they were doing was a step down from the tortures that American soldiers have been doing in the various prison camps. Its almost as bad as that, I believe. If these people are throwing petrol bombs then they are insurgents. The thing to do with petrol bomb throwing insurgents is to kill them. However, clearly the kids who were beaten were doing much less than that. They were throwing stones, probably throwing insults about and being an annoyance to the soldiers. Even then it is not justified.

The soldiers have to "win over the hearts and minds" of the people in Iraq, and conducting this sort of thing is only going to make people lose faith in the army presence.

I dont care what anyone says, I am no way responsible for this war. Firstly I didnt vote for labour, and neither did anyone in my immediate family, and secondly Blair expressed no intention to go to war illegally before he was elected, and when he did expres a feeling of war, the choice was not given to the people to decide whether we should or shouldnt. So no, im not responsible in anyway for the war, and it is a complete embarrasment....

MickyHatton
02-15-2006, 03:07 PM
Totally unacceptable, and should not be tolerated. The soldiers are there to increase the peace, not defy the peace. What they were doing was a step down from the tortures that American soldiers have been doing in the various prison camps. Its almost as bad as that, I believe. If these people are throwing petrol bombs then they are insurgents. The thing to do with petrol bomb throwing insurgents is to kill them. However, clearly the kids who were beaten were doing much less than that. They were throwing stones, probably throwing insults about and being an annoyance to the soldiers. Even then it is not justified.

The soldiers have to "win over the hearts and minds" of the people in Iraq, and conducting this sort of thing is only going to make people lose faith in the army presence.

I dont care what anyone says, I am no way responsible for this war. Firstly I didnt vote for labour, and neither did anyone in my immediate family, and secondly Blair expressed no intention to go to war illegally before he was elected, and when he did expres a feeling of war, the choice was not given to the people to decide whether we should or shouldnt. So no, im not responsible in anyway for the war, and it is a complete embarrasment....

Kind of missing the point mate, dont talk to me about 'hearts and minds' just becuase you read the term somewhere and that makes you an expert of police states.
Unless you've been there (and I have) you haven't got a clue what your talking about so get off your high moral horse and listen for once to someone who knows something about the reality of this subject, its not a discussion based on theory or opinion like Boxing, I have been involved and have witnessed everything war can throw up and normal rules fail to apply until the status quo is back in order.
Also I am not suggesting you or anyone on here are responsible for these events becuase you may or may not have voted labour, what I was saying was that as a democracy we have enabled a system where by an elected leader makes our decisions for us at certain levels therefore we must accept a level of responsibilty for the actions of this country or we may as well get out of the country unless your a hypocrite of course.
My point was if the soldiers have acted completely without provacation or just cause then fine throw them to the dogs, if there are circumstances they led to the instance then thats sad but that war!
Therefore do not blame the soldiers blame the government for putting them there and blame us or yourself for allowing it to happen whilst you and I went on about are happy existance!
By the way Exige, you make some good points on certain matters but by arguing the toss all the time for the sake of it only highlights lack of experience and maturity.

MickyHatton
02-15-2006, 05:45 PM
Oh, another point, it has come to light that the soldiers had found the youths building a MBP (Mortar Base Plate) and they had ran and then attacked a patrol, the patrol called for a snatch squad to assist, thats what the film showed, a snatch squad removing the leaders of this group, the same group who were suspected of mortaring the barracks and injuring soldiers snd civilians!

Never cut and dry is it!

EXIGE
02-15-2006, 08:06 PM
Kind of missing the point mate, dont talk to me about 'hearts and minds' just becuase you read the term somewhere and that makes you an expert of police states.
Unless you've been there (and I have) you haven't got a clue what your talking about so get off your high moral horse and listen for once to someone who knows something about the reality of this subject, its not a discussion based on theory or opinion like Boxing, I have been involved and have witnessed everything war can throw up and normal rules fail to apply until the status quo is back in order.
Also I am not suggesting you or anyone on here are responsible for these events becuase you may or may not have voted labour, what I was saying was that as a democracy we have enabled a system where by an elected leader makes our decisions for us at certain levels therefore we must accept a level of responsibilty for the actions of this country or we may as well get out of the country unless your a hypocrite of course.
My point was if the soldiers have acted completely without provacation or just cause then fine throw them to the dogs, if there are circumstances they led to the instance then thats sad but that war!
Therefore do not blame the soldiers blame the government for putting them there and blame us or yourself for allowing it to happen whilst you and I went on about are happy existance!
By the way Exige, you make some good points on certain matters but by arguing the toss all the time for the sake of it only highlights lack of experience and maturity.
The first para was extremely disrespectful, since you think I have read it in a book, and assume I think I am a master on this subject. Little do you know that I was expressing my opinion, as you requested, and that this phrase "winning the hearts and minds" applies to this situation perfectly, which is why I inserted it into my post.

If you dont like my opinion, and dont think that I can make a judgement on a situation that I and many others have not been into, then simply dont come on here and ask a group of members on a boxing forum, where you know the majority would not have army experience, their opinions on a certain war topic.

I gave you my opinion and if you dont like it you're simply gonna have to put up with it, because in my book its right, and I simply wont change mindset on this.

The war is illegal, any torturous acts against these civilians is also illegal. War has a set of rules like anything else, so they dont all "fly out the window" in those situations. Its something that the British Army has always thrived on, a good reputation and a very high comparitive level of training when compared to other nations. So when I see this ****, im gonna say it is wrong, which it is. Some of those people in the video I saw were like 8 etc. In this country they wouldnt even be put in prison, since they havent even reached the age of legal responsiblity. Punishing kids isnt going to help the morale of anyone. If they thought they were insurgents (highly unlikely at 8 but it did happen in Vietnam), then they should have shot them. What they actually did was totally against any code of conduct, and was a complete embarassment for the government and the British Army....

/end rant.

MickyHatton
02-16-2006, 03:14 AM
The first para was extremely disrespectful, since you think I have read it in a book, and assume I think I am a master on this subject. Little do you know that I was expressing my opinion, as you requested, and that this phrase "winning the hearts and minds" applies to this situation perfectly, which is why I inserted it into my post.

If you dont like my opinion, and dont think that I can make a judgement on a situation that I and many others have not been into, then simply dont come on here and ask a group of members on a boxing forum, where you know the majority would not have army experience, their opinions on a certain war topic.

I gave you my opinion and if you dont like it you're simply gonna have to put up with it, because in my book its right, and I simply wont change mindset on this.

The war is illegal, any torturous acts against these civilians is also illegal. War has a set of rules like anything else, so they dont all "fly out the window" in those situations. Its something that the British Army has always thrived on, a good reputation and a very high comparitive level of training when compared to other nations. So when I see this ****, im gonna say it is wrong, which it is. Some of those people in the video I saw were like 8 etc. In this country they wouldnt even be put in prison, since they havent even reached the age of legal responsiblity. Punishing kids isnt going to help the morale of anyone. If they thought they were insurgents (highly unlikely at 8 but it did happen in Vietnam), then they should have shot them. What they actually did was totally against any code of conduct, and was a complete embarassment for the government and the British Army....

/end rant.
No, what is despespectful is the first paragraph in your first post where you likened the act to and I quote "What they were doing was a step down from the tortures that American soldiers have been doing in the various prison camps. Its almost as bad as that, I believe."
This was my whole point all along, many posters expressed their opinions on here in a black or white manner but then did not attempt to make judgement or liken the events to those carried out by the Americans, you did therefore I addressed your opinion becuase its wrong, completely wrong, especially as you completely ignored my last post which explained the events leading to this.
But without getting personal if your opinions are dictated by what you have read in the press or had given to you by a lecturer who has never set foot outside of the UK other than to sun him or herself then I do not understand or accept your opinion becuase my points are based on fact not theory!
I almost feel foolish for sticking my neck out and defending you in the past to posters on here as I thought 'argggh' he's young and entitled to an opinion, what worries me is that you will not accept anything against your point of view therefore you have a lot to learn.
And as for if 'I dont like your opinion I just have to put up with it' statement, seems like an autocrat type statement and kind of goes against your entire theory on the war and our political stance, see you have a lot to learn.
I make mistakes everyday but I am a man and a man either proves his point or admits he's wrong, you cannot prove your point especially as now the troops actions have been given justification and you will not admit you were wrong, what does that say?

EXIGE
02-16-2006, 03:39 AM
No, what is despespectful is the first paragraph in your first post where you likened the act to and I quote "What they were doing was a step down from the tortures that American soldiers have been doing in the various prison camps. Its almost as bad as that, I believe."
This was my whole point all along, many posters expressed their opinions on here in a black or white manner but then did not attempt to make judgement or liken the events to those carried out by the Americans, you did therefore I addressed your opinion becuase its wrong, completely wrong, especially as you completely ignored my last post which explained the events leading to this.
But without getting personal if your opinions are dictated by what you have read in the press or had given to you by a lecturer who has never set foot outside of the UK other than to sun him or herself then I do not understand or accept your opinion becuase my points are based on fact not theory!
I almost feel foolish for sticking my neck out and defending you in the past to posters on here as I thought 'argggh' he's young and entitled to an opinion, what worries me is that you will not accept anything against your point of view therefore you have a lot to learn.
And as for if 'I dont like your opinion I just have to put up with it' statement, seems like an autocrat type statement and kind of goes against your entire theory on the war and our political stance, see you have a lot to learn.
I make mistakes everyday but I am a man and a man either proves his point or admits he's wrong, you cannot prove your point especially as now the troops actions have been given justification and you will not admit you were wrong, what does that say?
Troops have been given justification now, but was it justified back when this whole thing kicked off? No it wasnt, not legally justifiable anyway.

I have never seen you defend me, from the top of memory, but if you did, then you did it for a reason. If you all of a sudden dont think you had a reason, then that is your fault not mine. However, I would say to you that defending me in the past is done conditionless, so saying you wished you hadnt completely destroys your credibility in judgement, since you once had a reason to defend me and now you dont. :confused:

About the war I wont change my opinion. You see, I have a set of really basic principle's, and when things happen that break my principle's then I hold a negative opinion of whatever that thing was. In this case, soldiers bullying kids is not acceptable to me, no matter what the kids did, unless they were endangering the lives of the soldiers which is really debatable, but I believe they werent... (kids in rags, against soldier in helmet and boots).

Also, just because you claim to have experience in war situations it doesnt mean that I will change my opinion on this matter. You have an opinion, clearly, and so do I, so when I compare the bullying of the kids with the tortures carried out by American soldiers, those are similarities that I have spotted. (In defence of me I did say it wasnt quite as bad as that however).

EXIGE
02-16-2006, 03:42 AM
You share the same political stance as me?

MickyHatton
02-16-2006, 03:51 AM
Yes, I do!

I give up!

Perhaps in years to come you will get my whole point, but for now it futile going on!

EXIGE
02-16-2006, 03:56 AM
Yes, I do!

I give up!

Perhaps in years to come you will get my whole point, but for now it futile going on!
In years to come I will still hold the same principle's...

Formative years are past me mate... ;)

Either way, a discussion about these things is never bad. But you are wrong and I am right. :D

Sn1
02-16-2006, 04:37 AM
beat those animal feckers. they deserve it.
some prick throws a rock at me, im gonna feel entitled to mash
that guys skull into the pavement. thats how life works & anyone
who thinks otherwise is an idiot. there is no such thing as
excessive force during a war.

Boxclever
02-16-2006, 05:21 AM
With the pictures flying round the press about the soldiers in Iraq assualting the teenagers, whats your thoughts?

I served 14 years in the Army and served in Gulf War 1 not to mentioned Northern Ireland and Bosnia and other places, keeping in mind that this incident happened two years ago almost at the height of the troubles out and the fact that we dont know what had provoked this attack, maybe this was justified?

To me it look co-ordinated, as if they had been ordered to make a statement to a group for some reason, we did similar things when I served, if a group or individuals threw petrol bombs or bricks or worse then we split the group by force and administered a payoff in the form of a rough house arrest.
After all they had tried to kill us and would continue to do so....

Iraq is in a state of alert, if this had been on the streets of Manachester then yes it would be OTT but it wasn't, these insurgents play big boys games therefore must expect the soldiers to react accordingly!

If you bought into the war (I Didn't) but we were supposed to be ridding these people of this kind of thing. Making their country a better safer place, the fact that huge mobs attack our troops only enhances the fact that they don't want us. The response represents everything that is wrong with the British army (who for the most part have behaved impeccably.

:mad:

Sn1
02-16-2006, 05:28 AM
If you bought into the war (I Didn't) but we were supposed to be ridding these people of this kind of thing. Making their country a better safer place, the fact that huge mobs attack our troops only enhances the fact that they don't want us. The response represents everything that is wrong with the British army (who for the most part have behaved impeccably.

:mad:
those huge mobs are pricks. both their countries MAJORITY &
our soldiers know this. thats why they are hated by both.
to stand up against them brings it on yourself, which is why
its left to the british troops to kick their ass. as for buying
into the war, thank **** it aint women who decide when to strike
cause right about now im sure id be a ****ing german.

Boxclever
02-16-2006, 05:35 AM
those huge mobs are pricks. both their countries MAJORITY &
our soldiers know this. thats why they are hated by both.
to stand up against them brings it on yourself, which is why
its left to the british troops to kick their ass. as for buying
into the war, thank **** it aint women who decide when to strike
cause right about now im sure id be a ****ing german.

because the world has turned into a lovely place in the hands of men?

I Don't think so.

Sn1
02-16-2006, 05:37 AM
because the world has turned into a lovely place in the hands of men?

I Don't think so.
because if men didnt act, other men would ass **** you.
looks at every other species, they all follow the same pattern.
war begets war but leaving it alone gets you killed

Boxclever
02-16-2006, 05:40 AM
because if men didnt act, other men would ass **** you.
looks at every other species, they all follow the same pattern.
war begets war but leaving it alone gets you killed

How have Switzerland and Sweden been 'ass ****ed' they have never bothered anybody and consequently nobody bothers them.\\

Sorry you're wrong. :)

EXIGE
02-16-2006, 05:55 AM
How have Switzerland and Sweden been 'ass ****ed' they have never bothered anybody and consequently nobody bothers them.\\

Boxclever, describe to me how you would BoxClever..?

Boxclever
02-16-2006, 05:56 AM
Boxclever, describe to me how you would BoxClever..?

What in boxing? general? or in world affairs? :)

EXIGE
02-16-2006, 06:10 AM
What in boxing? general? or in world affairs? :)
BoxClever in boxing. Would you do the punchy thingy's and then do the running with the leggies thingy, and then do the punchy thingy again. :)

Boxclever
02-16-2006, 06:20 AM
BoxClever in boxing. Would you do the punchy thingy's and then do the running with the leggies thingy, and then do the punchy thingy again. :)

well I Think it would be a laugh to watch me box.

I Would jab and then run round the ring fast as I could and maybe just try and get a few more jabs in. This I Would do for 12 rounds and win on points. :boxing:

See I Like boxing but I Don't think I Could do it, don't want to get hit.

EXIGE
02-16-2006, 06:22 AM
well I Think it would be a laugh to watch me box.

I Would jab and then run round the ring fast as I could and maybe just try and get a few more jabs in. This I Would do for 12 rounds and win on points. :boxing:

See I Like boxing but I Don't think I Could do it, don't want to get hit.
Hmmm, my attempt at patronising you didnt work... :ninja: Haha.

When it comes to women's boxing the tactics are so simple. I would love to be training Laila Ali because I would say. Hit the tits, baby. I hear this is sensitive region? Its like having a ball sack on your chest? :confused: Either way, thats what would be going down in my fights.... :cool:

Boxclever
02-16-2006, 06:33 AM
Hmmm, my attempt at patronising you didnt work... :ninja: Haha.

When it comes to women's boxing the tactics are so simple. I would love to be training Laila Ali because I would say. Hit the tits, baby. I hear this is sensitive region? Its like having a ball sack on your chest? :confused: Either way, thats what would be going down in my fights.... :cool:

you were trying to patronise me? sorry didn't notice ;)

you'll need to up your game.

Sn1
02-16-2006, 08:58 AM

nobody bothers them.

ok switzerland isnt what id call an "innocent" nation.
switzerland persecuting (http://switzerland.isyours.com/e/guide/contexts/jews.html)
swizterlands money (http://switzerland.isyours.com/e/guide/contexts/worldwarii.html)
sweden. mmm yeah ok. back to the history books dear.
check this link for a more "honest" account of swedens
involvement in world war II swedens involvement (http://www.utb.boras.se/uk/se/projekt/history/articles/ww2/ww21.htm)

the whole net is right there girl. use it to back up your debates

EXIGE
02-16-2006, 10:02 AM
you were trying to patronise me? sorry didn't notice ;)

you'll need to up your game.
It was a mild form of patronisation (if that word exists)... So i guess it was easy to pass...

Boxclever
02-16-2006, 02:11 PM
nobody bothers them.

ok switzerland isnt what id call an "innocent" nation.
switzerland persecuting (http://switzerland.isyours.com/e/guide/contexts/jews.html)
swizterlands money (http://switzerland.isyours.com/e/guide/contexts/worldwarii.html)
sweden. mmm yeah ok. back to the history books dear.
check this link for a more "honest" account of swedens
involvement in world war II swedens involvement (http://www.utb.boras.se/uk/se/projekt/history/articles/ww2/ww21.htm)

the whole net is right there girl. use it to back up your debates

The Swedish involvement in world war II hardly amounts to it deserving a mention as if it is a warlike nation.
You should be careful about just pulling info off the net huni, since the net is so big you can find both sides to every story.

Your initial point was that if you don't take aggresive action you get ass ****ed and none of your 'research' backs up your point.

Obviously there are times when you need to react, however most violence is unneccesary.

paul750
02-16-2006, 02:20 PM
EXIGE, women boxers would kick your ass, including the strawweights. lol

EXIGE
02-16-2006, 02:36 PM
EXIGE, women boxers would kick your ass, including the strawweights. lol
Why are you lolling when nobody else is lolling? :confused:

paul750
02-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Why are you lolling when nobody else is lolling? :confused:
I do this thing, which is called thinking for myself. ;)

Sn1
02-16-2006, 02:38 PM
The Swedish involvement in world war II hardly amounts to it deserving a mention as if it is a warlike nation.
You should be careful about just pulling info off the net huni, since the net is so big you can find both sides to every story.

Your initial point was that if you don't take aggresive action you get ass ****ed and none of your 'research' backs up your point.

Obviously there are times when you need to react, however most violence is unneccesary.
let me put it like this. no brits fighting back, no brits.
(no limey lounge)

EXIGE
02-16-2006, 02:40 PM
I do this thing, which is called thinking for myself. ;)
No you do this thing called stalking EXIGE. You popped out of the woodwork to try and give one of your stupid comments...

Sn1
02-16-2006, 02:42 PM
No you do this thing called stalking EXIGE. You popped out of the woodwork to try and give one of your stupid comments...
damn, you seem to attract these guys like flies to ****

EXIGE
02-16-2006, 02:45 PM
damn, you seem to attract these guys like flies to ****
Indeed. But is there more than one meaning to your post?

Sn1
02-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Indeed. But is there more than one meaning to your post?
am i implying your a **** ?

EXIGE
02-16-2006, 02:47 PM
am i implying your a **** ?
Bluntly, yes .

Boxclever
02-16-2006, 02:47 PM
let me put it like this. no brits fighting back, no brits.
(no limey lounge)

Beating up civillians is not 'fighting back' and stop making your crappy world war two comparrisons they just don't hold water huni. :cool:

Sn1
02-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Bluntly, yes .
well i was actually gonna say that maybe all these "stalkers"
are you. i mean maybe you got bored of being !@anorak::';

EXIGE
02-16-2006, 02:58 PM
well i was actually gonna say that maybe all these "stalkers"
are you. i mean maybe you got bored of being !@anorak::';
Exposed. Owned. Pwned.

Why did you have to give the game away, ******.

Sn1
02-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Exposed. Owned. Pwned.

Why did you have to give the game away, ******.
theres a HOMOphobe in da house

EXIGE
02-16-2006, 03:08 PM
theres a HOMOphobe in da house
Homophobic? Nah, you're just heterophobic.

Sn1
02-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Homophobic? Nah, you're just heterophobic.you even know what a heterosexual is !!!!! who taught you that

msagrain
08-04-2007, 05:02 PM
it sould be clearly stoped