View Full Version : Rate Frank Bruno

Boxclever
02-14-2006, 07:38 AM
For me he was one of the hardest punchers EVER and only that got him anywhere and eventually to a world title.

As an all round boxer though very limited.

What do you think? :boxing:

the giant one
02-14-2006, 07:50 AM
He could box a bit. He just came along at bad times in terms of challenging for titles. In todays crop of heavies a prime Frank Bruno might hold two of the belts with only Klitschko and a few others to worry about as competition

medium-deek
02-14-2006, 08:39 AM
For me he was one of the hardest punchers EVER and only that got him anywhere and eventually to a world title.

As an all round boxer though very limited.

What do you think? :boxing:

dont rate him at all. just "another" heavyweight whose famous for being a complete dimwit. dont like seing him around. he typifies the racist stereotype of black men: big, strong and stupid.

EXIGE
02-14-2006, 08:44 AM
dont rate him at all. just "another" heavyweight whose famous for being a complete dimwit. dont like seing him around. he typifies the racist stereotype of black men: big, strong and stupid.
If the game shakes me or breaks me, I hope it makes me -- a better man

EXIGE
02-14-2006, 08:49 AM
Frank Bruno eh?

He was about as flexible as a cow on a trampoline, because of all the weights he did, which was one major major downfall of his. He was also scared ****less of fights, which made no sense since he was a boxer, and when he fought Tyson the second time round he was getting psyched out by everyone, including the man in my avatar. He also had a series of unfortunate events in his life, like Tyson - in that one of his beloved trainers died and he always had problems with his ***** - erm i mean wife.

So yeah, too many distractions, trained completely wrong, never made an impact... from what I have seen he could box a little though, and like Giant one says, he would stand a chance now, but he was fighting in the 90's so forget it.

Boxclever
02-14-2006, 09:04 AM
Frank Bruno eh?

He was about as flexible as a cow on a trampoline, because of all the weights he did, which was one major major downfall of his. He was also scared ****less of fights, which made no sense since he was a boxer, and when he fought Tyson the second time round he was getting psyched out by everyone, including the man in my avatar. He also had a series of unfortunate events in his life, like Tyson - in that one of his beloved trainers died and he always had problems with his ***** - erm i mean wife.

So yeah, too many distractions, trained completely wrong, never made an impact... from what I have seen he could box a little though, and like Giant one says, he would stand a chance now, but he was fighting in the 90's so forget it.

Nice flame :boxing:

Boxclever
02-14-2006, 09:06 AM
although he's a brit that won the world title, SO

Go U.K :boxing:

boxstarr
02-14-2006, 10:08 AM
i like him

he was one of the hardest punchers ever...he could kayod tyson if only he had the one thing he really lacked....a killer instinct

when he had tyson shaken he didnt jump on him like he should have as he had a confidence issue and was taken aback by the surprise that he had him shaken

i also respect his heart a lot...to compete for titles so many times in a tough era deserves a lot of respect...true brit

also he comes across to me as a very nice guy

El Guapo
02-14-2006, 10:10 AM
bruno was ****e!

boxstarr
02-14-2006, 10:26 AM
he cant have been that bad to have won a title in his career

anyone who does that fairly and remains a nice guy deserves a degree of respect

medium-deek
02-14-2006, 12:31 PM
bruno was ****e!

LOL. Gotta agree with this.

EXIGE
02-14-2006, 12:42 PM
he cant have been that bad to have won a title in his career

anyone who does that fairly and remains a nice guy deserves a degree of respect
Yeah 4th time round...

Not only did he lack killer instinct, he lacked skill, agility, mentality and heart.

boxstarr
02-14-2006, 12:50 PM
how can you say that a man tried so hard for so long lacked heart

his heart is the whole reason i have so much respect for him

boxstarr
02-14-2006, 12:51 PM
and also you forget how small a proportion of boxers do win a title so to say someone who does is completely talentless as well as heartless is ludicrous

im not saying hes a great

im saying give the poor man his dues

EXIGE
02-14-2006, 01:01 PM

Well, I dunno what was pumping the blood round his body in Tyson II, but it wasnt a heart. When it comes to the crunch, his heart flies out of the window (and gets replaced by a life support machine :D), and he gets easily intimidated. Just when it came to crunch time, he lost his balls. That -- to me -- is not a true champion.

Boxing takes a massive strain on the mind, and the psychology involved is immense, he couldnt handle it in my opinion.

boxstarr
02-14-2006, 01:34 PM
i said myself he lacked the killer instinct...his lack of self confidence led to him collapsing at the moment he couldve become a truly respected champ

but to try so hard for so long to me takes a heart, especially ifyou have so much fear you expect to lose

paul750
02-14-2006, 01:40 PM
Nonsense, you don't outjab Lennox Lewis over 7 rounds if you're just limited. Bruno had skills, his downfall was his chin, and the fact that he folded quickly after being hurt. he could certainly hit, as his 38 ko's out of 40 wins suggests. people who say say he was rubbish or whatever are clueless. he was a decent heavyweight.

EXIGE
02-14-2006, 02:44 PM
Nonsense, you don't outjab Lennox Lewis over 7 rounds if you're just limited. Bruno had skills, his downfall was his chin, and the fact that he folded quickly after being hurt. he could certainly hit, as his 38 ko's out of 40 wins suggests. people who say say he was rubbish or whatever are clueless. he was a decent heavyweight.
He really wasnt, unless you are thinking in terms of "decent heavyweight in 2006".

Kimmy
02-14-2006, 02:55 PM
Bruno had a decent punch but no speed to execute it effectively. He had a so so chin and poor endurance. He was better than Oliver McCall and probably was unluckly not to beat James Bonecrusher Smith. A fair assessment would be he was a good contender but not good enough to be termed world class!

Kimmy
02-14-2006, 02:58 PM
He could box a bit. He just came along at bad times in terms of challenging for titles. In todays crop of heavies a prime Frank Bruno might hold two of the belts with only Klitschko and a few others to worry about as competition
Good post giantone. His boxing ability was above average. He used what he had very well. His jab caused a problem for every fighter he ever faced except for Tyson. If all fights were 8 rounds Bruno might have been a world champion sooner and longer, get my drift?

boxstarr
02-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Bruno had a decent punch but no speed to execute it effectively. He had a so so chin and poor endurance. He was better than Oliver McCall and probably was unluckly not to beat James Bonecrusher Smith. A fair assessment would be he was a good contender but not good enough to be termed world class!

to me this sounds fair

El Guapo
02-14-2006, 08:13 PM

if you watched the fights and pre-fights you'd see the only time he'd show some heart was the mccall pre fight, the time he won it, actually, he just survived the fight!

boxstarr
02-14-2006, 08:15 PM
i dont think a man that fought so often against such high calibre opposition can be disrespected so much

EXIGE
02-15-2006, 07:31 AM
i dont think a man that fought so often against such high calibre opposition can be disrespected so much
He can be disrespected because he didnt have any impact on the heavyweight's at all. He tried hard and that was it, in terms of achievments, nothing....

As soon as he got the belt from Oliver McCall, he lost it to Michael Tyson, so he is my worst champion to come out of England really.

MickyHatton
02-15-2006, 11:35 AM
He can be disrespected because he didnt have any impact on the heavyweight's at all. He tried hard and that was it, in terms of achievments, nothing....

As soon as he got the belt from Oliver McCall, he lost it to Michael Tyson, so he is my worst champion to come out of England really.

Got to disagree here, Bruno was great heavyweight and would clean up today in my opinion.

I can think of dozens of worse champions to come out of England (Terry Marsh, Glen McCory), Bruno was not weak chinned he had no survival instinct, his loses to BoneCrusher Smith, Tim Witherspoon and Lennox Lewis where becuase of these inadaquacies, he was easily beating Smith and Witherspoon when he got caught, if he had took a knee or ran or even held on he would have riden the round and gone on to win, he didn't. Against Lewis the same thing happened, for most of the fight Bruno dominated Lewis (I was there) he out jabbed and out muscled Lewis until two things happened, he ran out of steam and when he was caught he had no survival instincts.

As for the Tyson loses, Bruno fought Tyson in his prime but had lost the fight before he set foot in the ring due to his fear of the awesome Mike Tyson, months before he admitted the man was a machine and unbeatable???
How could he then go and fight to win? Although he did someting that many couldn't at the time and hurt Tyson.

Bruno was an excellent fighter with an huge punch, the fact he got three World Title Shots says that much, what has tarnished his reputation and made him seem less of a great boxer/fighter is his panto/clown act he took on after the boxing, as well as his mental breakdown.

I was a teenager in Bruno's hay days in the eighties and he was feared by the heavyweight world at that time!

paul750
02-15-2006, 12:37 PM
Got to disagree here, Bruno was great heavyweight and would clean up today in my opinion.

I can think of dozens of worse champions to come out of England (Terry Marsh, Glen McCory), Bruno was not weak chinned he had no survival instinct, his loses to BoneCrusher Smith, Tim Witherspoon and Lennox Lewis where becuase of these inadaquacies, he was easily beating Smith and Witherspoon when he got caught, if he had took a knee or ran or even held on he would have riden the round and gone on to win, he didn't. Against Lewis the same thing happened, for most of the fight Bruno dominated Lewis (I was there) he out jabbed and out muscled Lewis until two things happened, he ran out of steam and when he was caught he had no survival instincts.

As for the Tyson loses, Bruno fought Tyson in his prime but had lost the fight before he set foot in the ring due to his fear of the awesome Mike Tyson, months before he admitted the man was a machine and unbeatable???
How could he then go and fight to win? Although he did someting that many couldn't at the time and hurt Tyson.

Bruno was an excellent fighter with an huge punch, the fact he got three World Title Shots says that much, what has tarnish his reputation and made him seem less of a great boxer/fighter is his panto/clown act he took on after the boxing, as well as his mental breakdown.

I was a teenager in Bruno's hay days in the eighties and he was feared by the heavyweight world at that time!
Good post, at least someone knows what they're talking about.

El Guapo
02-15-2006, 01:21 PM

Bruno was an excellent fighter with an huge punch, the fact he got three World Title Shots says that much, what has tarnished his reputation and made him seem less of a great boxer/fighter is his panto/clown act he took on after the boxing, as well as his mental breakdown.

yes this is true and a good post, but still he was ****e and as for cleaning up today! :rolleyes:
the bruno lewis fight was great ha ha ha, i seen this fight about 6 times all the way through, and when(i just knew this was happen)lewis turns with a left hook on bruno, amazing.
and then lewis with the chopping overhand right, swiftley follwed by a left uppercut, then repeated again, oooooooooo orgie. brunos face was just a classic!

El Guapo
02-15-2006, 01:24 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/995000/images/_995011_bruno_300.jpg

El Guapo
02-15-2006, 02:02 PM
lets rate him on a line of brit H/W's

bruno-------------------lennox
1 5 10
you see theres no need to as bruno is the least

paul750
02-15-2006, 02:23 PM
lets rate him on a line of brit H/W's

bruno-------------------lennox
1 5 10
you see theres no need to as bruno is the least
UMM.... no, Bruno is ahead of, Joe Bugner, Derek Williams, Danny Williams, Gary Mason, Don ****ell, Herbie Hide, Brian London, Richard Dunn, Scott Welch, henry cooper, Julius Francis and Audley Harrison. SO GET A CLUE.

El Guapo
02-15-2006, 02:30 PM
UMM.... no, Bruno is ahead of, Joe Bugner, Derek Williams, Danny Williams, Gary Mason, Don ****ell, Herbie Hide, Brian London, Richard Dunn, Scott Welch, henry cooper, Julius Francis and Audley Harrison. SO GET A CLUE.

wow, chill man, im only messin on. sheeesh.
anyway ive never heard of most of them, but anyway chill, its just an example, its not a quote or fact from something or somewhere claiming it is 100% true, my opinion doesnt matter, and neither does yours or anyones!

Oasis_Lad
02-15-2006, 02:31 PM
awright harry heheheehe!!
--frank bruno

EXIGE
02-15-2006, 03:38 PM

My post remains...

Everything said there is true... apart from the opinion I gave at the end which can be disputed of course, since it is an opinion.

MickyHatton
02-15-2006, 06:51 PM
My post remains...

Everything said there is true... apart from the opinion I gave at the end which can be disputed of course, since it is an opinion.

Apart from winning a version of the World Titles of course!
Only a tiny percentage of all the thousands of boxers in the world win a World Title especially the Heavyweight World Title and add to that the fact that there was no British Heavyweight Champ for around 100 years (since Bob Fitzimmons)I'd say he made a fair impact?

El Guapo
02-15-2006, 06:57 PM
Only a tiny percentage of all the thousands of boxers in the world win a World Title especially the Heavyweight World Title and add to that the fact that there was no British Heavyweight Champ for around 100 years (since Bob Fitzimmons)I'd say he made a fair impact?
are we not talkin about bruno not what impacts or how big his ****e was on thursday!

medium-deek
02-15-2006, 08:08 PM
He can be disrespected because he didnt have any impact on the heavyweight's at all.

As soon as he got the belt from Oliver McCall, he lost it to Michael Tyson

Two key points.

EXIGE
02-15-2006, 08:55 PM
Winning a title? A big impact on him and his family for sure... in the grand scheme of the heavyweight division as it will be remembered? Definetly not.

MickyHatton
02-16-2006, 04:26 AM
Winning a title? A big impact on him and his family for sure... in the grand scheme of the heavyweight division as it will be remembered? Definetly not.

Perhaps not no, but the record books will show it, the British will remember it and anyone that followed boxing around that time will remember it, when was it 1995? I remember it and enjoy the memory.
In the World scene it did not have any great shakes but in Britain (this is a British Forum?)it did, so......

EXIGE
02-16-2006, 04:31 AM
Perhaps not no, but the record books will show it, the British will remember it and anyone that followed boxing around that time will remember it, when was it 1995? I remember it and enjoy the memory.
In the World scene it did not have any great shakes but in Britain (this is a British Forum?)it did, so......
Indeed .

msagrain
08-04-2007, 06:01 PM
in heavy weight standard a 6.5 out of 10