View Full Version : Is Marquez A P4p Fighter After Salido?

lapulapu
09-19-2004, 01:05 PM
The Emm-salido Fight Is A Record Sleeper. Such A Performance From Marquez Could Only Mean --- Marquez Suffered Amnesia After The Pacquiao Fight. Marquez Was So Hesitant Because He Didn't Know How To Box Anymore.
Lucky He Fought A Complete Dumb Boxer Named Salido!!!

.::|ULTIMATE|::.
09-19-2004, 01:58 PM
why so much hate?

maybe he just needs someone to bring out the best in him.

mic573
09-19-2004, 03:06 PM
He did what he needed to do to win the fight.

{BrownBomber}
09-19-2004, 03:08 PM
You think that Salido was an easy fighter? I think this fight was mandatory and Marquez gave the the guy shot at his belts. That is what real champs do. As for Manny he needs to find a new team and different fans.

Sir_Jose
09-19-2004, 03:26 PM
Yes Marquez was a p4p fighter before and he is now.

The thing is Marquez is a counter puncher and needs a guy to come right at him and throw alot of punches for him to look good.

neils7147933
09-19-2004, 04:12 PM
Marquez would be in my Top 10 p4p, but not because of the Salido fight. This was a mandatory challenger that he had dispose of so that he could take on some real competition. If he loses last night to a guy with 8 losses, the Pacquaio rematch or a fight with Morales is in serious jeopardy.

So he did what he had to do, got his W, and will fight another day at the championship level.

m00ks
09-19-2004, 06:26 PM
Yeah he did what he had to do to win but I wasn't impressed. He was missing a lot of his combo counters when Salido was coming in and out. When Salido stayed there, JMM capitalized. Marquez looked slow at times and got caught with punches that shouldn't have landed. I dunno, for a fight against a whatever fighter, it wasn't an impressive performance.

One thing I don't like about counterpunchers other than they are sleepers is the fact that they are dependant. I'm all for counterpunching but to rely and base your style solely on it doesn't sit well with me. When a stronger and quicker guy comes, they have nothing.

Epie2
09-20-2004, 02:36 AM
JMM may have purposely not shown all he has being in the presence of Pacquiao, Barrera and Morales. I really thought he would win by knockout.

mic573
09-20-2004, 05:54 PM
I think it's more of him coming down from a big fight. Trust me he will be alive and well against Pacquiao.

psychopath
09-20-2004, 07:33 PM
Having two belts . . . JMM was already inside the top 5 p4p featherweight fighter list but was never inside the p4p top ten list. It was MAB who was in the top of the list and included in that TOP 10 p4p list until Pacquiao came into the picture.

JMM is a good fighter... his counter punching powers very awesome ... but BORING. How many JMM fights did we see being boooed by the crowd due to lack of action? :D His brother Rafael is much more of a PPV fighter material.

grayfist
09-20-2004, 10:16 PM
JMM may have purposely not shown all he has being in the presence of Pacquiao, Barrera and Morales. I really thought he would win by knockout.If he did that, i.e., not show what he can really do, he was not doing Arum, his boss, any good and he did not fulfill his contractual obligation, required of all fighters who enter the ring, to give it their best effort. More important, he was unfair to his fans who paid good money to watch him perform at peak.

grayfist
09-20-2004, 10:18 PM
Yeah he did what he had to do to win but I wasn't impressed. He was missing a lot of his combo counters when Salido was coming in and out. When Salido stayed there, JMM capitalized. Marquez looked slow at times and got caught with punches that shouldn't have landed. I dunno, for a fight against a whatever fighter, it wasn't an impressive performance.

One thing I don't like about counterpunchers other than they are sleepers is the fact that they are dependant. I'm all for counterpunching but to rely and base your style solely on it doesn't sit well with me. When a stronger and quicker guy comes, they have nothing.Yup. We have Gerry Penalosa to look back to.

grayfist
09-20-2004, 10:22 PM
Marquez going p4p after Salido? Salido put him on a slippery slope. :p

baliw_nga
09-21-2004, 08:28 PM
Marquez might be considered a p4p but he sure isnt a true warrior in the mold of Pacquiao,and to some extent, Barrera, and Morales.
A true warrior to me is someone who gives his best in every fight, someone who takes risk in order to prove that he's the best of them, unfortunately, Marquez hasnt shown that in the Salido fight. He fought a safe fight, apparently preserving himself for future battles we're not even sure if will ever happen. Add to that the fact that he avoided an immediate rematch with Pacquiao, to sum it all up, Marquez cant be considered an elite fighter.

mr. bojangles
09-22-2004, 03:34 AM
Marquez might be considered a p4p but he sure isnt a true warrior in the mold of Pacquiao,and to some extent, Barrera, and Morales.
A true warrior to me is someone who gives his best in every fight, someone who takes risk in order to prove that he's the best of them, unfortunately, Marquez hasnt shown that in the Salido fight. He fought a safe fight, apparently preserving himself for future battles we're not even sure if will ever happen. Add to that the fact that he avoided an immediate rematch with Pacquiao, to some it all up, Marquez cant be considered an elite fighter.

JMM has a totally different game compared to Pac. He is a calculating, methodical and smart ring technician compared to Pac who's a no-holds-barred, take-no-prisoners, all-out-assault kind of a fighter. He's really exciting & fun to watch alright but don't downgrade the double champ's chess game approach. However, he was really boring against Salido. He was overly cautious and just waited a bit too long for the also cautious challenger to commit. That's what normally happens when a counterpuncher faces another counterpuncher or a simply scared opponent (like Forrest Gump Gainer ;) ) A BORING FIGHT! Well, these 2 Top Rank fighters could've just played along by the script for all we know. If knocking out opponents at every single fight is the sole criteria to be a P4P fighter, then Marquez doesn't seem to deserve to be in that list ;) .

SonnyG8R
09-23-2004, 12:56 AM
I pretty much agree with what everyone else has already said. He's in the top 10 p4p, but not because of the salido fight.

JaNnO
09-23-2004, 01:06 AM
I pretty much agree with what everyone else has already said. He's in the top 10 p4p, but not because of the salido fight.

I don't think he should be there. He's a good ring general and technician but it stops there. He's one-dimensional and a passive counter-puncher who just capitalizes on his opponent's mistake. The quality of his opponents is a big question too? He didn't even win against tha Pacman - yet everybody seems to be giving him a lot of credit already. The standard of boxing is really on the decline! :rolleyes:

m00ks
09-23-2004, 02:05 PM
I don't think he should be there. He's a good ring general and technician but it stops there. He's one-dimensional and a passive counter-puncher who just capitalizes on his opponent's mistake. The quality of his opponents is a big question too? He didn't even win against tha Pacman - yet everybody seems to be giving him a lot of credit already. The standard of boxing is really on the decline! :rolleyes:

Seriously, before fighting Pacman he was no where near the list, he gets a "draw" against a recent bantamweight turned feather and who was a mere "contender".

psychopath
09-23-2004, 08:55 PM

That's right . . . he shouldn't be there. That was the making of Dirty Arum. Despite having two belts JMM was practically unheralded before he fought Pacquiao. . . and in that fight he showed his guts and counter punching powers but that all and should end to that . . . but placing him in the P4P list after settling for a DRAW aided by a judges scoring error and the Ref's stupidity of not deducting a point after so many warning for low blows is simply unacceptable for me.

Verbl_Kint
09-25-2004, 06:01 PM

Hey m00ks, you got a great avatar there. ;)

m00ks
09-25-2004, 06:05 PM
Hey m00ks, you got a great avatar there. ;)

People won;t believ when I say knockdown..lol maybe they needed proof....

so verbal knight, slip or knockdown? how do you see it?

psychopath
09-27-2004, 12:24 AM
People won;t believ when I say knockdown..lol maybe they needed proof....

so verbal knight, slip or knockdown? how do you see it?

Hey Mooks that's a slip if STEVE WONDER is the one watching :D

m00ks
09-27-2004, 02:07 AM
Hey Mooks that's a slip if STEVE WONDER is the one watching :D

:D I really wanna see someone tell me it's a slip. Just one person lol...

Mr. Ryan
09-28-2004, 02:55 PM
Yes, Rafael, that is.

lapulapu
09-29-2004, 09:08 PM

One thing I don't like about counterpunchers other than they are sleepers is the fact that they are dependant. I'm all for counterpunching but to rely and base your style solely on it doesn't sit well with me. When a stronger and quicker guy comes, they have nothing.

Actually, Marquez was really doing his best not to get hit. His nose still hurts!
Too much caution on JMM's part gave Salido the chance to land some punches. Now check it out if there's a lucky one that landed on Marquez's nose.

Prorock
11-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Marquez is a very good fighter but his bout with Salido is the worst of i ever seen... I want to sleep... Do you remember his bout again PacMan? It was the one of the best fights in this year. So Marquez is the P4P Fighter... Salido is tune-up

PacLand
01-20-2005, 05:41 AM
Yep of course he is still P4P but has not live to become one last year!

AIR_KENG
01-20-2005, 10:26 PM
seriously, it's quite hard to place a very cautious counter-puncher in the top 10 of the p4p list...

jayrichardse
01-30-2005, 11:55 PM
yes he is son

butatista
02-28-2005, 12:39 AM

Well he was warrior enough to get up after three knockdowns in the first and then go on to school Pacquiao. This is the same Pacquiao that forced the warrior Barrera clan to throw in the towel isn`t it, or am I mistaken?

I don`t know if he`s P4P but in my opinion he`s the pick of the featherweights - he`s got Pacquiao`s number now, and it`s hard to consider MAB or Morales the best given their recent losses.

masha
03-02-2005, 01:42 PM
damn straight. JMM is the main man and I can't see him being beaten by any feather out there.

he would have learned a lot from the pac mauling.

psychopath
03-02-2005, 04:42 PM
Well he was warrior enough to get up after three knockdowns in the first and then go on to school Pacquiao. This is the same Pacquiao that forced the warrior Barrera clan to throw in the towel isn`t it, or am I mistaken?

I don`t know if he`s P4P but in my opinion he`s the pick of the featherweights - he`s got Pacquiao`s number now, and it`s hard to consider MAB or Morales the best given their recent losses.

JMM is indeed in the p4p list but that's only after he and Arum robbed Pac of that victory :D It's hard to consider MAB and Morales is the best because of recent loses? I'll be DAMN . . . you'll have to consider the quality of opponents brother . . . QUALITY! A loss or two won't decrease the stature of a FIGHTER . . . it will only increase the degree of their greatness if they can show they can come back from those defeat.

JMM is a skilled fighter but he is not in the mold of MAB and Eric in terms of WARRIOR SPIRIT. Eric and MAB goes for hard fights unlike JMM who fights BUMS. In fact he has just recently refused to fight Joan Guzman and Rocky Juarez, two good UP and COMING feather weights and chose to fight Victor Polo who just drew to Harrison.

The truth is HARSH Bro . . . oftenly it hurts . . . but not until JMM fights quality opponents he will remain a paper champ. Remember he got those belts from aging over the hill champions.

psychopath
03-02-2005, 04:47 PM
damn straight. JMM is the main man and I can't see him being beaten by any feather out there.

he would have learned a lot from the pac mauling.

Yeah you are right . . . you can't see him being beaten by any feather weight out there http://img1.yoxio.com/img/136870.gif (http://www.yoxio.com) . . . well that's because he always run away from quality opponents. http://img1.yoxio.com/img/136867.gif (http://www.yoxio.com)

El Jesus
01-04-2014, 04:40 PM
Reading back on this thread is amazing. It's crazy how you can't judge the fighters until their career finishes.

BennyST
01-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Reading back on this thread is amazing. It's crazy how you can't judge the fighters until their career finishes.

Yep, absolutely. Even funnier how everyone is talking **** about Salido being a crappy fighter, yet he goes on to beat these champs and is still a top ranked featherweight champion all these years later.

Salido has proven time and time again that he's tough as they come, a hard night out for anyone and a good win.