No announcement yet.

Gerry Penalosa, how good was he?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gerry Penalosa, how good was he?

I'm a filipino-american from Jersey City, NJ. I have seen Luisito Espinosa and Manny Pacquiao many times, but have never seen Penalosa. What was his style, how good a puncher was he, and what was his best fight?

I only saw him fight once...& was very, very impressed.
    He fought on USA Tuesday Night Fights in '97.

He was a southpaw.....could really do everything, though he was more of a technician.
    Threw nice combos, & had a beautiful straight left.

Comment

Originally posted by asian_sensation
      I'm a filipino-american from Jersey City, NJ. I have seen Luisito Espinosa and Manny Pacquiao many times, but have never seen Penalosa. What was his style, how good a puncher was he, and what was his best fight?

Slightly above average fighter. He held his belt for little bit but never fought or beat anyone of any real worth. He was never thought of as the best in his division Johnny Tapia was thought to be head and shoulders better.

Comment

Gerry issued a challenge to Johnny Tapia when the former was in the US. Johnny did not respond. Before his retirement, Gerry was No. 1 randed at 115 by *********. A fighter who once fought Gerry said Gerry is difficult to hit. You'll see more of him as he is coming back. He just won the World Boxing foundation 115 title last November '04.

Comment

He was a tactician, more in the mold of Juan Manuel Marquez, but not as fast as JMM.
          He loved banging opponents that come to him, but is always outsmarted by fleety boxers.
          I think he will probably win an International version of WBC's belt but will come up short in significant fights.

Btw, he used to be our next door neighbor. Nice guy actually.

Comment

Asian, look for that Penalosa-Saucedo and Penalosa-Hurtado fight videos. He's a good technical fighter, more of a counterpuncher actually. But, he had difficulties fighting sleek boxers like that Jap Tokuyama who just hits-and-runs.

His best fights were against :
            • Kawashima
            • Saucedo
            • Hurtado
            • Tokuyama 2 (lost by a controversial SD in Japan!)

Penalosa vs. Tokuyama

He's currently on the comeback trail, winning the WBF Superflyweight belt last November. He's looking to land a big $$$ fight with IBF champ Rafa Marquez which I think is a very difficult challenge. Rafa is perhaps the hardest puncher in boxing today P4P and is at his peak. IMO he should challenge instead the aging WBC champ Veeraphol (who's just picking on patsies to set a record number defenses in bantamweight history, he's at #14 now) or his former TKO victim WBO champ Sor Vorapin.
            Last edited by mr. bojangles; 01-22-2005, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Gerry is a very good tactical fighter. cerebral. a very good counter-puncher. southpaw with power in both hands. has one punch ko power but also throws power combos. very good footwork. difficult to hit. excellent defense. at his best against aggressive opponents who bring the fight to him. rangy fighters who doesn't mix it up makes him look bad.( like tokuyama and in joo cho who did nothing but run against gerry to score controversial hometown decisions. ) all his 4 loses were very close decisions. could've been undefeated. on a comeback trail at age 32. may be a young 32 considering he has never absorbed a beating throughout his career. toughest fight was against long time champ kawashima. best fights include ud vs saucedo, 5th rd ko of vorapin.

Comment

Originally posted by jose
                Slightly above average fighter. He held his belt for little bit but never fought or beat anyone of any real worth. He was never thought of as the best in his division Johnny Tapia was thought to be head and shoulders better.
                i thought gerry was in the superflyweight division while tapia was in superbantamweight division.

anyway gerry was a great fighter who was never given the chance to fight in "big fights" like espinosa or manny.

he was an exceptional defensive fighter who moves his head often avoiding punches from opponents. he was also a counterpuncher unlike pacquiao.

Comment

gerry was wbc superfly champ at the time tapia was ibf jr bantam king

Comment

Originally posted by blitz
                    gerry was wbc superfly champ at the time tapia was ibf jr bantam king
                    ah, ok

gerry's prime vs tapia's prime

tapia would have wone... but not a KO

probably by a UD

what do u think, bro?

Comment

Working...
                    X