Collapse
No announcement yet.

could yory boy campas have been great?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• could yory boy campas have been great?

i remember seeing him fight againts tito (at age 23 with 54 wins) witch was his first lose. he looked pritty good untill the part where tito took over. he caught him with a great hook that he only took 6inches back. the annoncers were refuring to him as the boxer with the body of chavez and the punch of tyson. his biggest losses were againt carr de la hoya and tito. then he had a couple of decisions againts minor opponents. with all his skill and power why wasnt he ever great? was it because he burned out by having 54 fights at 23??

His record was padded with Mexican cab drivers(literally).

Comment

Yea pretty much...he fought nobodies...and when they gave him a shot he couldn't win tito killed the guy with that straight right!!

Comment

Originally posted by Undefeated
        Yea pretty much...he fought nobodies...and when they gave him a shot he couldn't win tito killed the guy with that straight right!!
        yea tito killed him but still im not sure how much truth this hod but i heard that he had to go to court because tito didnt want to fight him even tho he was number 1 mandatory

Comment

Mini Great

I'd say he was a mini great, being an IBF world champion and all that. He lost to Tito, to Vargas, to Jose Luis Lopez, to De La Hoya, but so what? My favorite, Gomez, lost to Sanchez, Nelson and Layne. Arguello lost twice to Pryor, and to Marcel, and Duran lost twice to Leonard, he lost to Hagler, to Benitez, to Kirkland Laing!! Thomas Hearns lost to Leonard, Hagler, Barkley (twice). De La Hoya to Tito, to Mosley (twice although I had him win fight 2), to Hopkins....

Everybody in boxing's got a papa (unless you're Marciano, Louis or Ali in his prime, of course), so you can't blame Campas for having his papas. I think he's a mini-great. Not as great as Duran or Hagler of course, or Gomez or Chavez for that matter, but a great nonetheless.

Comment

(Answer to title) NO.

Comment

He could have been the greatest ever at blocking punches with his face.

Decent fighter, his record was padded and Tito nearly decpiatated him/

Comment

strictly a short puncher

Yory Boy Campas was very strong and hit hard but he was strictly a short puncher in spite of his decent height. He also didn't defend that well and relied on his great chin too much. I recently saw the Campas-Trinidad fight again, which was a fantastic fight by the way, and noticed that Campas rarely used his jab or a straight right hand. He usually waited until he was literally on top of Trinidad to throw punches. I can't remember seeing Campas use uppercuts on the inside either. These limitations of his style led him to get slaughtered by good outside boxers who could beat the heck out of him before he could get his inside attack going.

Julio Cesar Chavez had a similar style to Yory Boy Campas with a few big differences:

(1) Chavez had a tremendous lead right hand that he used from the outside while stalking an opponent
                (2) Chavez used his jab
                (3) Chavez had a superior body attack on the inside with a devastasting left hook

Comment

Originally posted by mokele
                  Yory Boy Campas was very strong and hit hard but he was strictly a short puncher in spite of his decent height. He also didn't defend that well and relied on his great chin too much. I recently saw the Campas-Trinidad fight again, which was a fantastic fight by the way, and noticed that Campas rarely used his jab or a straight right hand. He usually waited until he was literally on top of Trinidad to throw punches. I can't remember seeing Campas use uppercuts on the inside either. These limitations of his style led him to get slaughtered by good outside boxers who could beat the heck out of him before he could get his inside attack going.

Julio Cesar Chavez had a similar style to Yory Boy Campas with a few big differences:

(1) Chavez had a tremendous lead right hand that he used from the outside while stalking an opponent
                  (2) Chavez used his jab
                  (3) Chavez had a superior body attack on the inside with a devastasting left hook

You forgot to add Chavez had a LIONS heart as how he got his nickname and though many under rate Chavez in this area he could avoid punchs when he wanted too.

Comment

Originally posted by moy22487
                    i remember seeing him fight againts tito (at age 23 with 54 wins) witch was his first lose. he looked pritty good untill the part where tito took over. he caught him with a great hook that he only took 6inches back. the annoncers were refuring to him as the boxer with the body of chavez and the punch of tyson. his biggest losses were againt carr de la hoya and tito. then he had a couple of decisions againts minor opponents. with all his skill and power why wasnt he ever great? was it because he burned out by having 54 fights at 23??

As many fighters from Mexico Campas started his boxing career at an early age. Learning his craft as a pro was his amature days for him.

Before his lose to Trinidad he was building a name for himself by beating tough competition and worked the body and head. Had a great chin and pride that would not let him take a knee as was the case with Trinidad and other fights.

After the Trinidad fight he slowly came back and won the title by beating the defending World Champion Raul Marquez in a BLOODY WAR! Campas got a tko. Then defended against top contenders Anthony Stephens and Larry Barnes winning both by tko.

Then he faced a young super star in Vargas and was out gunned but never dropped by the hard punching Vargas. Along the way he lost to very tough contender Jose Luis Lopez in a tough fight.

Then at that time Tony Ayala was in the middle of his comback and Campas was his first tough contender to face to date. Campas won. Then Campas keep fighting and wining and fought Delahoya and lost. Then continued to fight till he lost to Vanda and fought another fight and now I think hes retired.

But Campas was a tough fighter that fought his share of tough contender. He was not known for his defence rather he was known for his great chin and technicaly sound body puncher. And he did use upper cuts. Campas could hurt you with short punchs he throws. He was a top contender then lost to Trinidad but came back and became World Champion.

Comment

Working...
                    X