View Full Version : George Foreman

Boxclever
01-31-2006, 08:25 AM
I Know I'm biased being a fan, but George Foreman is so underated it's so bad.

He was awesome in the 70's one bad night against ali aside and then to come back and do it all again win the title at that age and only got retired by the dodgiest of dodgy decisions ever.

More respect is overdue. :boxing:

Southpaw Stinger
01-31-2006, 11:21 AM
Great fighter and the best guy to be at you're BBQ! Hardest hitter of all time, the big comeback king of the ring. Most young people today know him as the grill guy off the commercial, wonder if they know that he was champ?

Anyway, great boxer and a great guy!

Yaman
01-31-2006, 11:25 AM
Brother George, oh yes.

He stands at 5 in the top 10.

Oasis_Lad
01-31-2006, 11:28 AM
number 3 in my top 10 heavyweights of all time

Southpaw Stinger
01-31-2006, 11:30 AM
Number 3 in mine too!

Oasis_Lad
01-31-2006, 11:32 AM
Number 3 in mine too!

i only have ali and louis above him big george is the only one who comes close to these two

Southpaw Stinger
01-31-2006, 11:34 AM
i only have ali and louis above him big george is the only one who comes close to these two

Me too!

1. Ali
2. Louis
3. Foreman

Thats mine!

Oasis_Lad
01-31-2006, 11:36 AM
Me too!

1. Ali
2. Louis
3. Foreman

Thats mine!

mine too definetly the best 3 heavyweights of all time and anyone who says different is deranged

Southpaw Stinger
01-31-2006, 11:40 AM
mine too definetly the best 3 heavyweights of all time and anyone who says different is deranged

Who would say differen't? What boxer could possibly compete with those 3 guys?

Oasis_Lad
01-31-2006, 11:42 AM

agreed! :D

Yaman
01-31-2006, 11:44 AM
About 20 more fighters could COMPETE with those guys and have a good fight. I have a diffirent top 3 but i don't think you wanna see that ;)

Oasis_Lad
01-31-2006, 11:46 AM
About 20 more fighters could COMPETE with those guys and have a good fight. I have a diffirent top 3 but i don't think you wanna see that ;)

no ones unbeatable we all no that but if we somehow had all the boxers in their prime boxing in one big tournament i think those 3 would take the top 3 spots

Yaman
01-31-2006, 11:48 AM
Maybe only 1 of them. You can't be too sure with these kind of things.

Oasis_Lad
01-31-2006, 11:51 AM
Maybe only 1 of them. You can't be too sure with these kind of things.

no u cant be hell of a tournament though :D

Southpaw Stinger
01-31-2006, 12:02 PM
I have a diffirent top 3 but i don't think you wanna see that

Let me guess, Tyson, Tyson and Tyson........ :?!:

Yogi
01-31-2006, 12:22 PM

Deranged I am! :o

Oasis_Lad
01-31-2006, 12:28 PM
Deranged I am! :o

what 3 do u have :D

Southpaw Stinger
01-31-2006, 12:56 PM
what 3 do u have

Since he is an English teacher, I think he will consider Ruiz, Valuev and Harrison the best 3, because there are always interesting articles about these guys! (The articles can not be considered a credit to the guys though)

Yogi
01-31-2006, 01:10 PM
Since he is an English teacher, I think he will consider Ruiz, Valuev and Harrison the best 3, because there are always interesting articles about these guys! (The articles can not be considered a credit to the guys though)

LOL...Get the hell outta here, man!

Oasis, besides Louis & Ali I really don't know for sure who else I'd have in my top three...it'd probably be either Jack Johnson or Jack Dempsey, though.

I put very little emphasis on head-to-head matchups in my rankings too, as I think that way of deciding greatness is not only too simply, but has been proven to be just plain wrong in a lot of cases (For example, is Jimmy Young > George Foreman?).

Oasis_Lad
01-31-2006, 01:14 PM
LOL...Get the hell outta here, man!

Oasis, besides Louis & Ali I really don't know for sure who else I'd have in my top three...it'd probably be either Jack Johnson or Jack Dempsey, though.

I put very little emphasis on head-to-head matchups in my rankings too, as I think that way of deciding greatness is not only too simply, but has been proven to be just plain wrong in a lot of cases (For example, is Jimmy Young > George Foreman?).

fair enough, valid points :boxing:

Southpaw Stinger
01-31-2006, 01:20 PM

Are the three full stops really nessicery? ;)

I'm going to forget I ever mentioned the english teacher thing now.

Yogi
01-31-2006, 01:35 PM
nessicery?

I'm going to forget I ever mentioned the english teacher thing now.

Well, considering how you spelled necessary there...Nah, I'll be nice and not say anything more. ;)

Southpaw Stinger
01-31-2006, 01:53 PM
Well, considering how you spelled necessary there...Nah, I'll be nice and not say anything more.

Have you thought that I may have spelt it wrong on purpose? You fell into my web! Hook, Line and Sinker!

Dempsey 1919
01-31-2006, 03:57 PM
yeah, george foreman really sealed his career when he ko'd moorer, that was sweet. he's number 4 on my top ten list. :cool:

1. muhammad ali
2. sonny liston
3. larry holmes
4. george foreman

Kid Achilles
01-31-2006, 04:02 PM
1. muhammad ali
2. sonny liston
3. larry holmes
4. george foreman

I guess the next ten include Norton, Bonavena, and Tunney Hunsaker?

Dempsey 1919
01-31-2006, 04:07 PM
I guess the next ten include Norton, Bonavena, and Tunney Hunsaker?

haha, funny. those three and frazier are the only ali opponents in my top ten, stop jumping to conclusions like other people on this forum.

5. joe frazier
6. mike tyson
7. joe louis
8. jack johnson
9. evander holyfield
10. lennox lewis

Boxclever
02-01-2006, 05:25 AM
glad so many agree :)

just for the record I have Ali at one and Foreman at two. :boxing:

RockyMarcianofan00
02-01-2006, 03:53 PM
George in my favorite heavywieghts stands 2 or 3 and in my opinion best of all time he's definitly top 5
________
Wong Amat Tower Condominium Pattaya (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

supaduck
02-01-2006, 04:28 PM
He's my number 3 for his boxing, and my favourite, too :)

king4fore
02-01-2006, 10:29 PM
larry holmes,jack dempsey, rocky marciano

Heckler
02-01-2006, 10:53 PM
None of those people you mentioned above would take out Foreman. Larry Holmes wasn't as dynamic as Ali and i doubt he could execute the rope a dope. Dempsey would try to brawl with Foreman and get Ko'd. Rocky would also swarm into Big george and be on the recieving end of a huge uppercut. Not many people can take georger in the words of a boxing historian 'if george had proper technique it would of been illegal for him to fight against mere mortals'

RockyMarcianofan00
02-01-2006, 11:47 PM
Rocky Marciano stands a decent shot

i wish i could say Jack Dempsey would but i don't think he would do the greatest and what you said about larry holmes is what i think too
________
Medical marijuana (http://medicalmarijuanacard.info)

Dempsey 1919
02-02-2006, 12:17 AM
Rocky Marciano stands a decent shot

i wish i could say Jack Dempsey would but i don't think he would do the greatest and what you said about larry holmes is what i think too

haha, marciano stands a chance but dempsey doesn't? ali would have a much easier time with marciano than dempsey, dempsey is fast and could suprise ali with a few left hooks, but marciano is slow as hell and ali could just stand still and use his head movement like he did against terrel.

Frazier's 15th round
02-02-2006, 12:20 AM
George Foreman always had his feet stuck in the mud. Anyone who was a clever boxer either gave him fits or beat him. The only good fighters he beat were a Joe Frazier more concerned with drinking and singing with his band, and Ken "Glass Jaw" Norton.

He then comes back and pulls off a lucky shot on Michael Moorer to win the title.

RockyMarcianofan00
02-02-2006, 12:23 AM
haha, marciano stands a chance but dempsey doesn't? ali would have a much easier time with marciano than dempsey, dempsey is fast and could suprise ali with a few left hooks, but marciano is slow as hell and ali could just stand still and use his head movement like he did against terrel.

i'll give you that, dempsey was faster and more surprising but Marciano hit harder i understand that you really like ali but be realistic i even said the only way marciano would beat ali was by ko i was being realistic why can't you be, Marciano stands just as good a shot if not better then most other champions,Marciano wasn't a stupid fighter he would think it through and he would ko ali
If ali stood there Marciano would destroy him
because marciano knows how to land the shots
________
Easyvapedigital (http://www.vaporizers.net/)

Dempsey 1919
02-02-2006, 12:30 AM
i'll give you that, dempsey was faster and more surprising but Marciano hit harder i understand that you really like ali but be realistic i even said the only way marciano would beat ali was by ko i was being realistic why can't you be, Marciano stands just as good a shot if not better then most other champions,Marciano wasn't a stupid fighter he would think it through and he would ko ali
If ali stood there Marciano would destroy him
because marciano knows how to land the shots

IMO dempsey punches harder than marciano, don't believe me ask jess willard :D ! willard was 245 and had a very good chin, he took johnson's best and johnson could punch like hell. dempsey IMO ko'd willard in the first round not the third cause the referee should have stopped it in the first. marciano struggled to ko an old joe louis, and old walcott, and old moore, and an old charles, all of these fighters have chins of porcelain.

i'm being realistic too, at least IMO. ali couldn't be hit by marciano that much for rocky to hurt him, so no way ali gets ko'd by rocky.

RockyMarcianofan00
02-02-2006, 12:47 AM
IMO dempsey punches harder than marciano, don't believe me ask jess willard :D ! willard was 245 and had a very good chin, he took johnson's best and johnson could punch like hell. dempsey IMO ko'd willard in the first round not the third cause the referee should have stopped it in the first. marciano struggled to ko an old joe louis, and old walcott, and old moore, and an old charles, all of these fighters have chins of porcelain.

i'm being realistic too, at least IMO. ali couldn't be hit by marciano that much for rocky to hurt him, so no way ali gets ko'd by rocky.
what, dempsey didn't hit harder then Marciano, and niether did Johnson, what is with this
eveytime there's a thread with this same arguement it always ends with
Marciano is as strong or stronger then Foreman and then somebody starts up a new thread and your opinion completely changes
Marciano (beside Foreman) is the Strongest heavyweight PERIOD

what does imo mean i can't remember
________
Washington dispensaries (http://washington.dispensaries.org/)

Southpaw Stinger
02-02-2006, 08:19 AM
Rocky would also swarm into Big george and be on the recieving end of a huge uppercut.

Thats true. Rocky's style is tailor made for Foreman. The swarmers and brawlers were what he liked to fight best and Marciano had never been hit by anyone harder than him before. Marciano - Foreman would be like Foreman - Frazier 1 only Marciano was smaller than Frazier. I think the ref would stop it in the first or second round because Marciano keeps being knocked down but then gets up.

As for Dempsey hitting harder than Marciano. Thats hard to tell. Marciano was definatly the better more dedicated boxer as Dempsey became interested in hollywood! I think that the punch that floored willard broke his jaw and sent teeth flying into the crowd, I think it's the hardest landing punch recorded. He made a mess out of the gaint Willard.

I can see Marciano destroying Willard as well, but not as quickly. I think that Dempsey hit harder than Marciano for that fight only, because he was as he said "Fighting for my life" because willard had killed a man in the ring before, with an uppercut to the chin which broke a guys neck.

In career terms, Marciano hit harder, for that fight, Dempsey hit harder.

tommyhearns804
02-02-2006, 09:52 AM
It's cute too put Louis about Foreman because Louis is dead .But Louis didn't have the punch (Seeing he never knocked out anybody who had the chin Foreman had)or the chin to stand up to Foreman(Walcott hurt Louis countless times and Walcott is no Foreman and Conn a light punching middleweight almost knocked out a prime Louis).
You could either have Ali at number 1 or Foreman but if you have anybody else above Foreman you are a retard and maybe you should check yourself into a mental institution.

Southpaw Stinger
02-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Ali, Louis and Foreman are definatly my top three anyways. I don't think Louis could beat either Ali or Foreman, but none the less he was a skilled fighter.

Dempsey 1919
02-02-2006, 02:14 PM
It's cute too put Louis about Foreman because Louis is dead .But Louis didn't have the punch (Seeing he never knocked out anybody who had the chin Foreman had)or the chin to stand up to Foreman(Walcott hurt Louis countless times and Walcott is no Foreman and Conn a light punching middleweight almost knocked out a prime Louis).
You could either have Ali at number 1 or Foreman but if you have anybody else above Foreman you are a retard and maybe you should check yourself into a mental institution.

i think holmes could beat foreman, cause his style was similar to ali's, and so could liston, cause he had better boxing skills than foreman. but never louis, marciano, dempsey, or anyone else.

Southpaw Stinger
02-02-2006, 02:23 PM
Holmes wouldn't beat Foreman, Ali is way better than Holmes. His style was too similar to a young Ali which I think would lose to Foreman. Ali beat Foreman with Brains, not dancing. And Liston would get ko'd.

I agree with you about Marciano, Dempsey etc. If it comes to a brawl, Foreman would win!

Dempsey 1919
02-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Holmes wouldn't beat Foreman, Ali is way better than Holmes. His style was too similar to a young Ali which I think would lose to Foreman. Ali beat Foreman with Brains, not dancing. And Liston would get ko'd.

I agree with you about Marciano, Dempsey etc. If it comes to a brawl, Foreman would win!

no way a young ali would lose to foreman. ali made foreman miss by standing still and laying on the ropes. imagine if ali was moving at the speed he did in the 1960s.

Southpaw Stinger
02-02-2006, 03:06 PM
Foreman fought people better that he caught in the middle of the ring. Foreman was no Liston, if he caught Ali in the centre I'm not sure that he would have the chin to withstand it. Older Ali had a better chin.

Dempsey 1919
02-02-2006, 03:09 PM
Foreman fought people better that he caught in the middle of the ring. Foreman was no Liston, if he caught Ali in the centre I'm not sure that he would have the chin to withstand it. Older Ali had a better chin.

foreman wouldn't hit young ali that much, and the chin of ali didn't get that much better.

Heckler
02-02-2006, 03:24 PM
in 67 Ali had the chin to withstand big george. In center ring Ali would definately dominate George... because his style would take advantage of Georges style in center ring. Tell me, what happened usually in center ring in 74'? Ali would control the range, work the jab, throw right leads, and burst in with combos from the periphery... he couldn't do it all night because he couldn't move laterally and fluidly, and george got him on the ropes. George was overwhelmed by handspeed, he was a big slow, bruiser.... and no big, lumbering bruiser in history including George could take out Ali. Cleveland Williams, Foreman, Liston.. he was best against such opponents.

Dempsey 1919
02-02-2006, 03:38 PM
in 67 Ali had the chin to withstand big george. In center ring Ali would definately dominate George... because his style would take advantage of Georges style in center ring. Tell me, what happened usually in center ring in 74'? Ali would control the range, work the jab, throw right leads, and burst in with combos from the periphery... he couldn't do it all night because he couldn't move laterally and fluidly, and george got him on the ropes. George was overwhelmed by handspeed, he was a big slow, bruiser.... and no big, lumbering bruiser in history including George could take out Ali. Cleveland Williams, Foreman, Liston.. he was best against such opponents.

you are absolutely right.

Verstyle
02-02-2006, 03:54 PM
you are absolutely right.

i wanna see u and tommyhearns go on a battle foreman vs. ali. u might get tired of reading his long as paragraphs though

Dempsey 1919
02-02-2006, 03:55 PM
i wanna see u and tommyhearns go on a battle foreman vs. ali. u might get tired of reading his long as paragraphs though

yeah that would be the ultimate, although some of his posts are idiotic though. he actually said buster douglass could beat ali, lol! :D

supaduck
02-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Yes, absolutely spot on, there, Heckler, that's how I see it.

Southpaw Stinger
02-02-2006, 04:21 PM
actually said buster douglass could beat ali,

lol, which is why I never take him seriously! lol

Heckler
02-02-2006, 04:25 PM
Larry Holmes would have a CHANCE, but i would still give the nudge to Foreman. Holmes didn't have the handspeed of Ali, nor did he have sufficent footwork to stay off the ropes. Ali may have a style similar to Holmes, but Ali also posessed intangible qualities beyond those of Larrys. Larry would have to execute the Rope a Dope, i cannot think of one fighter other then Ali that could execute such an outlandish strategy. People often think Ali just sat on the ropes with his hands up, there was alot more to it... he developed sneaky techniques, he developed the means to deflect punches off his gloves using certain angles and movements, also the very clever use of the elbows to protect the body... more importantly he learnt how to use them simultaneously.

Kid Achilles
02-02-2006, 04:37 PM
Tommyhearns is the worst poster on this site. A deranged bitter lunatic with nothing intelligent to offer. He should be outright banned on account of his stupidity.

RockyMarcianofan00
02-02-2006, 04:43 PM

If Dempsey or Marciano could get inside on foreman then they would have a good chance at winning but knowing George with his long arms he wouldn't let that happen so most likely they'd lost in the brawl

but Marciano would try and if anybody could do it it would be him

i think Foreman would KO liston
________
Park Royal 3 Condos Pattaya (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

Southpaw Stinger
02-02-2006, 04:45 PM
i think Foreman would KO liston

Replace KO with kill! ;)

I think Demspey would do better in a brawl with Foreman. The way he handled Willard shows he likes to beat up on the big guys! But Foreman is way better than Willard anyway so it doesn't really have any indicaton.

RockyMarcianofan00
02-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Replace KO with kill! ;)

I think Demspey would do better in a brawl with Foreman. The way he handled Willard shows he likes to beat up on the big guys! But Foreman is way better than Willard anyway so it doesn't really have any indicaton.

well i'm not trying to hug marciano's nuts (i always feel i do) but Marciano liked beating up on big guys to, Carmine Vingo was 6'4 220Lbs and marciano put him into a coma and nearly killed him, and he was a decent boxer. they compared it to they compared Marciano-Vingo to Dempsey-Firpo
________
Best Herbal Vaporizers (http://vaporizerinfo.com/)

Heckler
02-02-2006, 05:49 PM
Tommyhearns is the worst poster on this site. A deranged bitter lunatic with nothing intelligent to offer. He should be outright banned on account of his stupidity.

Agreed, i believe he is the same guy that said Ali had a **** Chin. Also the same guy that thought Lewis would deal to Ali, as with Chris Byrd.

Dempsey 1919
02-02-2006, 05:55 PM
Agreed, i believe he is the same guy that said Ali had a **** Chin. Also the same guy that thought Lewis would deal to Ali, as with Chris Byrd.

but yet in another post he said ali and foreman are the best hw ever, he contradicts himself like crazy.

mokele
04-16-2006, 11:02 AM
I just watched Foreman-Qawi from March 1988 which I missed when the fight happened 18 years ago, and I was laughing in amusement. George is 6'31/2" while Qawi stands maybe 5'7". It was a good fight which lasted until part way through the 7th round, when Qawi had enough. Foreman took a bunch of shots from Qawi during the fight but just shook them off and kept throwing his jab and heavy hooks, slowly wearing him down. I'm not a big fan of runners and clinchers and Foreman is the exact opposite of that, although he will rest in a clinch sometimes.

For sure I have Foreman in my top 10. I don't really have an exact order, but I would put Joe Louis ahead for sure, and would consider Marciano, Ali, Holmes, Tyson, Holyfield and Lennox Lewis on his level. I have Foreman ahead of Liston, Frazier, Patterson, Dempsey, Jack Johnson and Tunney.

SuzieQ49
04-16-2006, 12:51 PM
but Marciano liked beating up on big guys to, Carmine Vingo was 6'4 220Lbs

actually vingo was 6'4 190lb with over 80" reach

RockyMarcianofan00
04-16-2006, 11:16 PM
actually vingo was 6'4 190lb with over 80" reach
actually i think vingo was over 200lbs when he fought marciano

hemichromis
04-17-2006, 02:01 PM
dempsey couldn't take out a prime foreman, its a style thing few swarmers would standa chance against foreman because they just cant get close