View Full Version : Floyd Patterson as a Cruiserweight

Kid Canada
01-30-2006, 03:20 PM
Floyd fought most of his matches at about 185/190lbs, which was heavyweight in those days. How do ya think he would have done against Holyfield, Spinks and other successful Cruisers?

Dempsey 1919
01-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Floyd fought most of his matches at about 185/190lbs, which was heavyweight in those days. How do ya think he would have done against Holyfield, Spinks and other successful Cruisers?

spinks was a lighthw, but i think patterson would beat almost all cruisers in history. he had great power for his size.

Oasis_Lad
01-30-2006, 03:24 PM
holyfield would ko patterson

Verstyle
01-30-2006, 03:49 PM

hmmmmmm not likely. ;)

LS-Injection
01-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Patterson, He Was A Expert!

Oasis_Lad
01-30-2006, 03:52 PM
hmmmmmm not likely. ;)

why not there is no way patterson would ko holyfield his chin is too good and the only outcomes would be floyd ud or holyfield ud
or ko and seeing as im more of a holyfield fan i say holy by ko

Verstyle
01-30-2006, 03:53 PM
why not there is no way patterson would ko holyfield his chin is too good and the only outcomes would be floyd ud or holyfield ud

hmmmmmmm. well thats what boxing scenes for. opinions
:D

Dempsey 1919
01-30-2006, 04:42 PM

not at cruiser he wouldn't. patterson had freakish power for his size. plus he did fight 200+lb. hw when he was 190 or so, and holy field fought hws when he was about 215, so if both were 180-189, patterson would win either by md, ud, or late ko.

blockhead
01-30-2006, 04:46 PM
not at cruiser he wouldn't. patterson had freakish power for his size. plus he did fight 200+lb. hw when he was 190 or so, and holy field fought hws when he was about 215, so if both were 180-189, patterson would win either by md, ud, or late ko.
no ****ing way. stop nuthugging and over rating every fighter that ali fought. holy would wreck patterson. you always talk up patterson and talk down louis and marciano because they were "small" but patterson oh no he had freakish power for his size. you are such an ass. louis marciano and holyfield would send patterson to the canvas with ease.

Oasis_Lad
01-30-2006, 04:47 PM

i agree patterson could get a ud against holyfield but no way is he knocking him out

Dempsey 1919
01-30-2006, 04:51 PM
stop nuthugging and over rating every fighter that ali fought.

i said this in another thread, but i guess i'll repeat it.

lol, i overrate every ali opponent? and i guess you mean i rate every ali opponent high. i could have sworn that i just rate liston, holmes, foreman, and frazier high, unless those four are the only boxers ali ever fought. :rolleyes:

everyone with a brain knows joe frazier is a top ten hw. the only people who disagrees either don't know boxing history or just plain rascist. during the period of ali's layoff in 1967-70, frazier was one of the most dominant boxers i've ever seen, he destroyed EVERYBODY at that time, most of his opponents were bigger and taller than him. he has the hardest left hook in history period. he definetely deserves the credit i give him.

george foreman destroyed frazier twice, so common sense would tell you that he ranks higher than frazier, making him a top ten hw as well. he is the hardest hitter period. he also won the title at 45, something no other hw could do at that age.

larry holmes fought ali once, and annihilated him; but ali was 38 and was shot, so that really doesn't count. holmes dominated the late '70s and early '80s. his style would enable him to defeat many all-time great hws.

and liston is one of the most underrated boxers in history period if not the most underrated. the only reason he turned out the way he was in the end were because of ali. he lost to ali twice, which there is no shame in, he lost one fight to marty marshall when he was 22; he was young and inexperienced. however, 2 years later he rematched marshall and crushed him. he lost to leotis martin in 1969 when he was 37 years old. martin was a top contender, and it was not the same liston of old. the combination of liston's strength, speed, punching power, and boxing skills made him and un-stoppable force, and he would dominate even the 70s, if he boxed at that time. no question in my mind that liston had everything you would want to become a great fighter, and he was a great fighter.

Dempsey 1919
01-30-2006, 04:54 PM
no ****ing way. stop nuthugging and over rating every fighter that ali fought. holy would wreck patterson. you always talk up patterson and talk down louis and marciano because they were "small" but patterson oh no he had freakish power for his size. you are such an ass. louis marciano and holyfield would send patterson to the canvas with ease.

and you are just repeating what i have said in the past. i agree that louis, marciano and holyfield would beat patterson, but i'm just saying at cruiserweight holyfield couldn't beat patterson. holyfield at hw weighed close to 215. if holyfield was 30lbs lighter, then i don't think he could beat patterson.

M26
01-30-2006, 05:00 PM
Floyd Patterson would give Evander Holyfield some trouble with his handspeed and power, but I think Holyfield was the better boxer. Plus, his chin could probably stand up to Pattersons punches even at cruiserweight. Holyfield wins this one 2 out of 3 times, either by late stoppage or decision.

Evander Holyfield by UD.

mokele
04-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Patterson was a good heavyweight, beating many guys who outweighed him during his career, so he would be among the greatest cruiserweights of all time, better than any around today, and on a par with Holyfield. Don't forget that Marciano and Dempsey were also cruiserweights by the modern definition, and so Patterson would have to compete with those 2 greats. Even Joe Louis often fought at just under 200 lbs. He would have been the strongest cruiserweight of all time by a big margin.

If you don't include Joe Louis, then Marciano considered as a cruiserweight is a clear #1 all time. Maybe Dempsey is #2, Patterson #3, Holyfield #4.

However, all of those guys could beat most regular heavyweights, even those weighing over 220 lbs., which most modern cruiserweights probably cannot do.

Verstyle
04-16-2006, 11:34 AM

why does it have to be a ko
:confused: