View Full Version : after the bag

hardhitter
01-17-2005, 01:42 PM
i have been working the heavy bag for 1 week. i have been doing around 2 hours every night at a pretty decent intensity for a beginner. but i am now feeling pain in both of my hands were the wrist joins the hand. is this normal after hitting the heavy bag ? what should i do about it? should i just keep off the bag for a while ?

Mick Hucknall
01-17-2005, 02:21 PM
i have been working the heavy bag for 1 week. i have been doing around 2 hours every night at a pretty decent intensity for a beginner. but i am now feeling pain in both of my hands were the wrist joins the hand. is this normal after hitting the heavy bag ? what should i do about it? should i just keep off the bag for a while ?

i felt the same thing not long after i got my punch bag. I felt the problem i had was that i started off at too fast a pace and repeatedly thumping a heavy bag sometimes not in the right way can hurt after a while. First i'd like to say that two hours a night is far too much and no wonder ur wrists are begining to ache. Try taking to the punch bag for around 5 three minute rounds trying differen't punches. I suggest you take a few days off the heavy bag to help get rid of ur wrist pains.Then when u go back to the heavy bag try the routines i stated and after a while these pains should go away. You should also try heavier gloves, because the mitts u get for bags arn't very protective for ur hands. Hope this helps.

- Evil -
01-17-2005, 02:28 PM

Are your sure your punching correctly? I've had some problems with my knuckles being beaten up but never the wrists.

It could be the bag your using, the gloves or hand wraps but its more likely the techniqiue because i can punch very solid bag without gloves or wraps without damaging my wrist.

Keeping of the bags is a short solution but you need to find the cause so it doesnt happen in future.

This may sounds a bit harsh but you need to get back on the bag whilst you wrists are still hurting, land some punches and the punches that hurt the most are the ones that are causing the problems. DONT GO WILD BECAUSE YOU WILL MAKE YOUR INJURYS WORST. After you find the problem take it easy for a while, do some shadow boxing and work on your footwork.

Fistecles
01-17-2005, 10:34 PM
You don't say if your hands are wrapped or not. I've been told by one guy who had been boxing for a long time that he like to sew together 2 wraps per hand. He says you give yourself more support in the wrist and the hand over all. He said his experiance has been that most wraps aren't long enough. But I can tell you this, make sure the 2 first knuckles of your fists are hitting the bag. It"ll make your punch hit solid and give your wrists less of a beating>

hardhitter
01-18-2005, 04:15 AM
my hands are wrapped, my left wrist only hurts when i hook. my wrists are very weak and thin but my arms are quite big, is there anything what you can use to strenthen the wrist ?

Floydmayweather
01-18-2005, 05:16 AM
It depends on the bag some bags make my wrists hurt after a while but i just put duck tape around the glove and that holds em enough.

Fistecles
01-18-2005, 07:46 AM
I had the same problem. I have small wrists with big hands. Start doing wrist curls, regular and reverse. Do them every 3 days, and take it easy on the bag for a bit.

ShotgunSeanK
01-18-2005, 07:59 AM
2 hours on the bag every night- you sure you're not overdoing it?

cmason
01-18-2005, 09:26 AM
make sure that your hands and wrists are "tensed" when you hit the bag. if you hit it when your hands are relaxed, you will jar your wrists.also 2 hours is far too much. i normally do six four minute rounds with roughly a minutes break after each round. also what bag are you using? did you fill it yourself or get one ready filled?

hardhitter
01-18-2005, 11:36 AM
sorry sorry my mistake i dont hit the bag for 2 hours i spend half an hour on it then ill skip for around 20 mins. ill then do press ups pull ups sit ups then go for a jog for remaining time

elveiel
01-18-2005, 12:42 PM
my hands are wrapped, my left wrist only hurts when i hook. my wrists are very weak and thin but my arms are quite big, is there anything what you can use to strenthen the wrist ?

These are good for building wrist and forearm strength, there very cheap too. It improves your wrists static strength which is perfect for boxers.

Click pic for purchase link

http://store1.yimg.com/I/titleboxing_1823_56054370 (http://store.titleboxing.com/titleboxing-power-wrist-roller.html)

Mr. Ryan
01-18-2005, 01:04 PM
Your hands will hurt when you first begin hitting the bag. It's a normal thing. After awhile, you will get your hands in shape and it will be nothing. You got a case of baby knuckles, thats what it is. Give it a week or 2 and you won't be in pain anymore.

Mick Hucknall
01-18-2005, 03:10 PM
yeh. You kinda think ****!! at the start cos when i started i just wanted to pound the damn thing. Be patient and these wrist pains will disappear soon.