View Full Version : michael spinks vs evander holyfield

king4fore
01-29-2006, 01:27 AM
what if michael spinks decided to fight at cruserweight in 1987 against evander holyfield,who would win? i pick spinks, i think his style would give holyfield trouble

M26
01-29-2006, 02:39 PM
A tough and close fight, no doubt about it. Skillwise they were both great with the edge going to Michael Spinks.

I have a difficult time deciding the outcome on this one, but I will give the nod to Michael Spinks by close decision. I don't think Holyfield could stop him, and I don't think he was skilled enough to outbox him. Spinks was great in his prime. But then again, so was Holyfield. :confused:

Michael Spinks by SD.

VERSION1 (V1)
01-30-2006, 04:18 PM
spinks by md

Dempsey 1919
01-30-2006, 05:08 PM
spinks was a natural lighthw, and holyfield a natural cruiser, so holyfield would win.

Skydog
01-30-2006, 07:23 PM
spinks was a natural lighthw, and holyfield a natural cruiser, so holyfield would win.

And what the **** does that have to do with it? :confused:

Southpaw Stinger
01-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Theres more to boxing than how heavy you are.

marvdave
01-30-2006, 07:44 PM
Spinks is one of my favorites, but Holy would cause him alot of trouble.

I think it's a close fight, but Holyfield would be busier and pull out a close decision. If it's the Holy that fought Qawi, it's real close becuase Holy wasn't totally developed at that point. Either way I'm afraid I would have to pick against my man Spinks.

LS-Injection
01-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Evander………………

Dempsey 1919
01-31-2006, 04:03 PM
And what the **** does that have to do with it? :confused:

holyfield is more at home at cruiserweight, and spinks would be putting on extra weight to fight at cruiser, so holyfield would have the true cruiserweight power to beat spinks.

king4fore
01-31-2006, 08:25 PM
well i think alot of you forget spinks was 6'2 himself, so it would'nt be hard to add those few extra pounds,plus spinks beat an undefeated larry holmes where as holyfield struggled with an older one

AntonioMartin
02-01-2006, 05:45 AM
The hype to this fight would be second to...the hype of Tyson's fights with the pair at hand.

Spinks slows down toward the last third of the fight, then gets rocked hard, surviving just enouigh to hear the last bell if it's a 15 rounder. If it's a 12 rounder, Holy by a holy-disputed split decision.

LondonRingRules
02-01-2006, 05:57 AM
holyfield is more at home at cruiserweight, and spinks would be putting on extra weight to fight at cruiser, so holyfield would have the true cruiserweight power to beat spinks.
** True cruiserweight? Spinks was much more noted for his power than Holy. The bout was proposed in 87 when Spinks was the undefeated heavy champ of the world scaling 200 lbs or so. Holy was making the 190 lb limit with a few lbs to spare. All Spinks had to do is get in fighting shape and dry out to make the 190 lb limit like he used to do at LH.

So you have an inexperienced Holy against a tough, tricky, powerful fighter with loads of championship experience. Spinks has both the footwork and power to negate Holy and win a close decision. Holy would have a better chance in the rematch as he was still a fighter on the way up and Spinks was at his peak. It's still hard for an equal sized fighter to beat that Spinks. Holy would have to really study up and formulate a good game plan, not a given.

Brassangel
02-01-2006, 12:15 PM
What their "true" original weight was does not decide this outcome.

Micheal Spinks was actually a powerful striker, and a decent counterpuncher. Often underrated and considered a joke because of his fight with Tyson. Spinks was champion during a time when the fighters were getting faster and stronger, and the field was grittier to emerge on top of. Holyfield was also talented, but I think he was a little too green in 1987 for Spinks.

DaddysBoy
02-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Spinks ****s holy up. He was more powerful and a better boxer in my view. I think this would end in a kayo.

Dempsey 1919
02-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Spinks ****s holy up. He was more powerful and a better boxer in my view. I think this would end in a kayo.

but spinks couldn't handle tyson, who got thrashed around the ring by holyfield! :p

king4fore
02-01-2006, 07:52 PM
that was a totally different tyson that spinks fought in 88 than the one holyfield fought in 96

Dempsey 1919
02-02-2006, 12:18 AM
that was a totally different tyson that spinks fought in 88 than the one holyfield fought in 96

it wasn't that much different that you could say spinks could beat holyfield though.