View Full Version : Joe Louis vs. Mike Tyson

Brassangel
01-26-2006, 12:08 PM
I'm on a Tyson kick this week, so I figured I would continue matching him up. Think 1986-1988 Tyson.

I felt like making things saucier for this poll. Everybody voted unanimously for Tyson over Patterson, despite Floyd's skill in the ring. Here we have two different styles, coupled on one side by a brilliant mind, and on the other by a physical freak of nature. Would Louis's brilliant boxing brain figure out how to stem the early tide and frustrate Tyson? Or, would Mike's buzzsaw approach be overwhelming for Louis who sometimes gets off to a slow start? I'm sure this one will be far more heated in discussion. Enjoy!

MickyHatton
01-26-2006, 12:47 PM
I think Louis would have been too cultured for Tyson, although they are probably very close in many departments!

LondonRingRules
01-26-2006, 01:07 PM
** Love Louis, but the peak Tyson came from another planet and started way too fast for Joe. Tyson by early KO.

Dempsey 1919
01-26-2006, 01:33 PM
tyson ko in the 3rd round.

Brassangel
01-27-2006, 02:04 PM
So far the opinions have come from people who pick a young Iron Mike over the Brown Bomber; the poll, however, tells another tale.

My opinions:

Joe Louis had a questionable chin, but he was a very accurate puncher with considerable power. James "Buster" Douglas was similar when he defeated Tyson (ie: accurate, powerful, but weak chin). Mike wouldn't be giving up quite as much of a reach or size advantage, however, which would allow him to get closer. Furthermore, we are assuming that this is Rooney's Tyson, not Don King's.

If Joe Louis could make it through the first 4-5, he might stand a chance. He was certainly one of the smarter fighters in history, but Mike could really apply the pressure to a slow-moving Louis. My prediction: Mike Tyson KO in 4; or, Louis wins in 10. I think it has to happen one drastic way or another.

Dempsey 1919
01-27-2006, 02:12 PM
So far the opinions have come from people who pick a young Iron Mike over the Brown Bomber; the poll, however, tells another tale.

My opinions:

Joe Louis had a questionable chin, but he was a very accurate puncher with considerable power. James "Buster" Douglas was similar when he defeated Tyson (ie: accurate, powerful, but weak chin). Mike wouldn't be giving up quite as much of a reach or size advantage, however, which would allow him to get closer. Furthermore, we are assuming that this is Rooney's Tyson, not Don King's.

If Joe Louis could make it through the first 4-5, he might stand a chance. He was certainly one of the smarter fighters in history, but Mike could really apply the pressure to a slow-moving Louis. My prediction: Mike Tyson KO in 4; or, Louis wins in 10. I think it has to happen one drastic way or another.

yeah, louis wins if he goes the distance, but that is just not happening.

angelo_dundee
01-27-2006, 02:59 PM
Mike would just too fast. His hand speed and combo punching in those early years was unbelievable. He'd overwhelm Joe Louis. I see this as similar to a Tyson-Smoke fight, if Mike didnt get Louis out of there early, he may have had problems. But he'd KO Louis, who wasnt esp fast on his feet.

Tyson within 5.

supaduck
01-28-2006, 11:50 AM
This thread's posts are almost saying in his prime Tyson was the number 2 heavyweight of all time!

angelo_dundee
01-28-2006, 02:11 PM
Mike at his absolute peak was for me inferior as a HW only to Ali and Holmes, both posessing the style of defeat him, and avoid his early barrage.

Other then that, I feel Mikey would tag anyone within 5.

RockyMarcianofan00
01-28-2006, 03:11 PM
i'd have to say Louis, Louis would box him and then start bumbarding him with power full Lefts and rights,Mike would dodge them but as soon as this fight got into round 5 tyson would be slowing down and Louis would catch up to tyson in the later rounds and tyson would get ktfo

Louis late round KO

i say ktfo because prime tyson either beat the crap out of somebody else or got really messed up there really is no in between for PRIME tyson
________
VAPORIZER FORUM (http://vaporizer.org/forum)

Brassangel
01-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Tyson was not #2 heavyweight of all-time, but in his prime, he fought in a manner that would be difficult for anyone to handle. Prime Ali or prime Holmes would be better against his style of attack, because their speed was on par with Mike (or sometimes better). This would allow them to keep distance for most of the fight, but I still think that Tyson at 19-21 could catch anybody. Other than that, there aren't too many fighters who could deal with his speed, power, and defensive skills.

NOTE: Tyson's downfall is still a part of his character which is why I don't pick him as a top 5 heavyweight all-time. In the "dream" scenario, however, he's a tough cookie.

angelo_dundee
01-28-2006, 04:53 PM
i'd have to say Louis, Louis would box him and then start bumbarding him with power full Lefts and rights,Mike would dodge them but as soon as this fight got into round 5 tyson would be slowing down and Louis would catch up to tyson in the later rounds and tyson would get ktfo

Louis late round KO

i say ktfo because prime tyson either beat the crap out of somebody else or got really messed up there really is no in between for PRIME tyson

Louis would'nt realistically avoid getting tagged within the first 5 though would he. Not with his slow feet.

Prime Mike was an animal.

Yaman
01-28-2006, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=Brassangel]Tyson was not #2 heavyweight of all-time, but in his prime, he fought in a manner that would be difficult for anyone to handle. Prime Ali or prime Holmes would be better against his style of attack, because their speed was on par with Mike (or sometimes better). This would allow them to keep distance for most of the fight, but I still think that Tyson at 19-21 could catch anybody. Other than that, there aren't too many fighters who could deal with his speed, power, and defensive skills.
[QUOTE]

Not to mention he destroyed a fast dancing Tyrell Biggs that was as fast as Holmes(Maybe even faster)on his feet.

supaduck
01-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about Briggs. Hm. Tyson really could have been something else... He could have been beyond awesome, too bad he didn't quite fulfil that unbelievable potential he had.

RockyMarcianofan00
01-28-2006, 11:55 PM
maybe i'm short changing tyson

i think he'd hurt louis alittle more then may have made apparent in the beginning, prime tyson probably would go into the 7th round without getting tired but Louis would catch up with him

they both would be a good match up cause they both had ko power in both the left and right hand
actually now that i think of it Tyson stands just as good a chance as louis
hm
________
Web shows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

king4fore
01-29-2006, 12:08 AM
i would give tyson the first fight.but i would pick joe louis in a rematch against anyone including ali

angelo_dundee
01-29-2006, 09:01 AM
Never. Ali would dazzle Louis with his superior speed, esp of foot. Re: that Ali was also the bigger man, and had a better chin.

No one tests prime Ali. Ever.

Yaman
01-29-2006, 11:22 AM
I can name 5 fighter who could beat prime Ali.

supaduck
01-29-2006, 11:30 AM
Huh? Name them..

Frazier's 15th round
01-29-2006, 02:25 PM
No one tests prime Ali. Ever.

What a ridiculous statement. There are plenty of fighters who would have tested him. And yes, could have beaten him.

DaddysBoy
01-29-2006, 03:12 PM
What a ridiculous statement. There are plenty of fighters who would have tested him. And yes, could have beaten him.

Plenty of fighters that coulda beaten a prime ali? Stop droppin acid, kid. Who tha **** are those "plenty fighters"?!

Yaman
01-29-2006, 03:34 PM
Dickryders please. Ali was HUMAN, plus, he was never really tested with a hall of fame fighter, instead he beat them when he supposedly wasn't in his prime. Frazier, Norton(Not really), Foreman etc. They were beaten by him when he was older and much more experienced.

Joe Louis
Foreman
Frazier
Lewis
Tyson
Norton

Could've beaten him.

DaddysBoy
01-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Dickryders please. Ali was HUMAN, plus, he was never really tested with a hall of fame fighter, instead he beat them when he supposedly wasn't in his prime. Frazier, Norton(Not really), Foreman etc. They were beaten by him when he was older and much more experienced.

Joe Louis
Foreman
Frazier
Lewis
Tyson
Norton

Could've beaten him.

What a crappy post.

Louis was great, but his feet was too damn slow, so i think its a safe bet to say ali keeps away all nite long and win by wide UD

A 32-year old ali kayoed foreman when foreman was at his absolute best. He set him up allright, but thats what ****in great fighters do.

Frazier defeated ali once, and that was in his prime fight. he never looked better before or after. ali on the other hand, just came off a 3 year lay off, only had two light warm ups prior, and still made it ****in competative. Prime ali kicks his ass.

Lewis?! WTF? Slow ass **** would be owned

Tyson......... LOL

Norton struggled when ali was dancin, and in his prime ali could dance for ever. Loopsided decision.

Muhammad ali was the greatest heavyweight of all time.

RockyMarcianofan00
01-29-2006, 05:09 PM
What a crappy post.

Louis was great, but his feet was too damn slow, so i think its a safe bet to say ali keeps away all nite long and win by wide UD

A 32-year old ali kayoed foreman when foreman was at his absolute best. He set him up allright, but thats what ****in great fighters do.

Frazier defeated ali once, and that was in his prime fight. he never looked better before or after. ali on the other hand, just came off a 3 year lay off, only had two light warm ups prior, and still made it ****in competative. Prime ali kicks his ass.

Tyson......... LOL

Norton struggled when ali was dancin, and in his prime ali could dance for ever. Loopsided decision.

your rite about one thing there are few fighters that can beat ali but he's not invincible, he could've been beaten.
________
BlackAngel4u cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/BlackAngel4u)

Southpaw Stinger
01-29-2006, 05:14 PM
your rite about one thing there are few fighters that can beat ali but he's not invincible, he could've been beaten.

He was beaten, but he came back and succeeded. That is somthing great champs do.

RockyMarcianofan00
01-29-2006, 05:22 PM
no all i'm saying is he's not an invincible
no fighter is invincible and anybody that says a fighters invincible is a nuthugger i mean i know marciano's not invincible i mean he can get hurt just like anyone else but its all in how they train
i mean look at tyson, Douglas beat him cause tyson didn't train
so i mean fighters arent invincible but what makes them greats is there potencial to be invincible'

that probably makes no sense to you :rolleyes:
________
properties for sale Pattaya (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

RockyMarcianofan00
01-29-2006, 05:23 PM
but with a name like rockymarcianofan its hard not to be mistaken for a nuthugger
________
Web Shows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Southpaw Stinger
01-29-2006, 05:31 PM
I know what you mean man! lol

Yaman
01-29-2006, 05:57 PM
What a crappy post.

Tyson......... LOL

Get a grip.
You're blinded by love and ignorance. THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A FIGHTER WHO WAS INVINCIBLE. Come on, think. Joe Louis was supposedly invincible untill he was suprised and defeated. Foreman was suprised and defeated like so many fighters. Most of the time they come back and beat the fighter because they are better. Styles make fights. No matter how much you want it to be true, Ali wasn't unbeatable.

DaddysBoy
01-29-2006, 06:08 PM
Get a grip.
You're blinded by love and ignorance. THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A FIGHTER WHO WAS INVINCIBLE. Come on, think. Joe Louis was supposedly invincible untill he was suprised and defeated. Foreman was suprised and defeated like so many fighters. Most of the time they come back and beat the fighter because they are better. Styles make fights. No matter how much you want it to be true, Ali wasn't unbeatable.

I never said Ali was invincible. He could be beaten, even in his prime. But not by the heavies that you mentioned. Not on his best night, thats for sure :boxing:

angelo_dundee
01-29-2006, 10:49 PM

List them.

Prime v Prime.

No man test that man! Believe!

Frazier's 15th round
01-29-2006, 11:05 PM
Prime vs Prime?

Jack Dempsey, Larry Holmes, Ken Norton, Joe Frazier, Sonny Liston, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, and George Foreman all would have given him tough fights. Some COULD have beaten him. He might beat them all, he might lose to them all. But all would test him. It would take an all time great to beat him, or someone with the right style, like Ken Norton. But it could be done.

RockyMarcianofan00
01-29-2006, 11:29 PM
he's rite

alot of those guys could test him and a handful have a decent chance at beating him
________
Iolite herbal vaporizer review (http://vaporshop.com/)

angelo_dundee
01-29-2006, 11:38 PM
Test him, yes. Beat him, I cant see it. Muhammad Ali had it all man, and some cats forget that on top of all his speed, agility, guile, ring generalmanship, heart, chin and courage, he could punch.

Some of those names, ala Dempsey and Rocky, would be too small (JD) or far too limited and mechanical (Marciano) to overcome the quicksilver genuis of Ali.

RockyMarcianofan00
01-29-2006, 11:41 PM
hahahaha you got be kidding me

Dempsey would probably test him pretty good

but Marciano i could see beating him and i'm not just saying that cause of the comp fight, i mean i don't think its complete bull**** but i know that it would be different,i can see marciano beating him,

Joe Frazier did beat ali in there second fight, Ken Norton stands a chance, I think of George Foreman were as smart in the 70's as he was in the 90's he would be ali

he's not invincible sure he's good but he ain't invincible,and if you say he is your really hugging his nuts
________
PAXIL DEATH (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/paxil/)

RockyMarcianofan00
01-29-2006, 11:43 PM
and where the hell did ali come up this thread is about joe louis vs Mike Tyson

niether of them fought ali

i'd rather not argue about this and lets get back to the thread alirte?
________
Nastia2011 cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/Nastia2011)

angelo_dundee
01-29-2006, 11:45 PM
On the issue, Joe beat Ali in there 1st fight, not 2nd. But we can discuss this in another thread, in fact I'll open one after this post, on the topic, Louis had a great range of skills, but his slow feet and suseptible chin would for my dollar result in Mikey winning this.

Dempsey 1919
01-30-2006, 11:03 AM

yeah, tested him, but never beat him. too fast, and too physically strong and big.

Dempsey 1919
01-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Prime vs Prime?

Jack Dempsey, Larry Holmes, Ken Norton, Joe Frazier, Sonny Liston, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, and George Foreman all would have given him tough fights. Some COULD have beaten him. He might beat them all, he might lose to them all. But all would test him. It would take an all time great to beat him, or someone with the right style, like Ken Norton. But it could be done.

dempsey was too small and had a weak chin. holmes wasn't as fast as ali. norton or frazier couldn't handle an ali that moved. liston wasn't that fast on his feet, and his style was taylor made for ali. louis was too small, and weak, and slow. marciano was too unskilled, and weak and slow, and uncoordinated, and, well everything! foreman got ko'd by and old ali, so imagine what a young one would do to him!

Brassangel
01-31-2006, 01:15 AM
Ugh...

Ali was beatable, as was everybody else. Just saying that "..So-and-so couldn't do it! He was [insert rediculous comment here]!" doesn't make it so. Ali could have had an off night like any other fighter. There weren't many who could have done it, but chances are, it would have to be someone who could pursue quickly and apply ample pressure.

Jack Dempsey: While small, he could still hit hard for a lot of rounds against people far larger than himself. He also had great pursuit.

Joe Frazier: I don't care which Ali you take, this would always produce a great fight. Joe would have turned it up a notch against the Ali of '67. While he may have fallen short, it would still have been thrilling.

Mike Tyson: While many consider him the joke of the biz, he arguably had the fastest feet of any aggressive fighter in the ring. It's been clocked by many professionals and noted that he could chase faster than Ali or Holmes could dance away. Mike's hand speed, power, and pressure application don't need introductions here. Even so, Mike would likely have (the most) difficulty with Ali. His best shot would be in fight 1.

George Foreman: Well, Ali looked spectacular in 1974 in the jungle. He may have been a bit more arrogant when he was younger, which could have cost him. Surprise shots knocked him down a few times in his younger days and George could deliver like no other. This is likely a bad style match up for Mr. Mieneke, however, and Ali wins every time.

Larry Holmes: Take both dancers in their prime and you'd probably have a boring fight. Holmes did have a stronger punch, and a ring generalship similar to his former sparring partner. Pretty even match, with Ali having an edge in the hand speed department.

Lennox Lewis: What?! Lewis couldn't hit like Foreman, and Ali weathered that storm. Lennox was a massive guy with skill, but I imagine Ali wins this one in textbook fashion.

Joe Louis: One of the greatest boxing brains in history. He was slow, however, and had a questionable chin. While the Brown Bomber could figure out most opponents, Ali was a master of destroying game plans. Horrible style matchup for Joe; Ali wins like he did against Patterson.

Now, since this was NOT was this thread was about to begin with, I will turn back to the topic at hand. I am starting to agree with most of the discussion(s) presented here in that Mike Tyson probably takes it to Joe Louis in the early to mid rounds.

angelo_dundee
01-31-2006, 08:36 AM
Foreman's telegraphed style would mean he's always going to be beaten by Ali.

Brassangel
01-31-2006, 09:33 AM
Great! Back on topic.

Dempsey 1919
01-31-2006, 04:01 PM
tyson is too fast and too big. joe would be in over his head on this one.