View Full Version : footwork

JPPLAY
01-14-2005, 11:08 PM
What some drills to work on footwork?

adeelr
01-14-2005, 11:42 PM
Running is very important, skipping with a variety of movements can improve footwork significantly. when i was boxing, i would move around the ring on any space that i found for 20 to 30 minutes on my toes. you might feel a little awkward at first but you get better everyday and than before you know it you start floating like muhammad ali. To be able to move like him watch ali's fights and observe his feet, it helps alot.

JPPLAY
01-14-2005, 11:53 PM
To be able to move like him watch ali's fights and observe his feet, it helps alot.

Where can I get some of his fights on the internet and which fights are the best for watching footwork?

Floydmayweather
01-14-2005, 11:58 PM
Jump alot of rope and use a stability ball that helps quite a bit.

adeelr
01-15-2005, 12:15 AM
the best fights to watch for footwork are ali vs. liston 1, Ali vs. patterson 1 and 2. these two are the best. i would recommend all the fights before the exile. Also watch sugar ray leonard and tommy hearns.

Atwa_66
01-15-2005, 12:55 AM
Where can I get some of his fights on the internet and which fights are the best for watching footwork?
Foreman-Ali good fight to watch Ali float
To work on footwork, jump rope, Run, and pratice moving around alot on your toes, because in the ring, if you're leaning on your heels you're going to be easier to wobble. Those should help a little

- Evil -
01-15-2005, 04:11 PM
Foreman-Ali good fight to watch Ali float
To work on footwork, jump rope, Run, and pratice moving around alot on your toes, because in the ring, if you're leaning on your heels you're going to be easier to wobble. Those should help a little

I wouldnt watch Ali to improve footwork, IMO his footwork is overated but i suppose it depends how you want to fight.

JPPLAY
01-15-2005, 06:35 PM
I wouldnt watch Ali to improve footwork, IMO his footwork is overated but i suppose it depends how you want to fight.

Who do you suggest? If you suggest no one it doesn't help me.

- Evil -
01-15-2005, 08:34 PM
Who do you suggest? If you suggest no one it doesn't help me.

lol, i was thinking you need to provide more info. :D

Naming random boxers with good footwork isnt a good idea, it a depends on your style.

I have an agressive power punching style so i look at fighters like Tszyu. He has brilliant footwork for his style, you need a solid foundation so you can take and give powerful shots.

Whats your style? :cool:

Atwa_66
01-15-2005, 09:44 PM
lol, i was thinking you need to provide more info. :D

Naming random boxers with good footwork isnt a good idea, it a depends on your style.

I have an agressive power punching style so i look at fighters like Tszyu. He has brilliant footwork for his style, you need a solid foundation so you can take and give powerful shots.

Whats your style? :cool:
I don't think it's even an arguement, Muhammad Ali was and will always be the best boxer to watch to improve footwork. He was the fastest fighter I have ever seen in the ring, foot wise, if you can think of someone else please let me know

trinidadpr87
01-15-2005, 09:50 PM
how about zab judah's footwork after he got knocked down in the zoo fight.

- Evil -
01-16-2005, 08:07 AM
I don't think it's even an arguement, Muhammad Ali was and will always be the best boxer to watch to improve footwork. He was the fastest fighter I have ever seen in the ring, foot wise, if you can think of someone else please let me know

Thats your opinion and i respect it but...

IMO It would be foolish to watch Ali's footwork, Ali was a heavy in a era of flatfooted Heavys, he used to circle his opponents to left(always) which a southpaw or switch hitter could take full advantage of, he was of balance 50% of the time and it was only because the opponents(Heavys) were too slow that he got away with it, He didnt set his feet and thats the reason he was a non puncher.

Ali footwork was effective for his era and weight but if for example if he was fighting at 140lb against todays fighters it wouldnt be.

Its impossible to answer your question because there are different styles that suit different fighters.

Power punching - Kostya Tszyu, Defensive - Floyd Mayweather, hell even James Toney has good footwork for his style.

- Evil -
01-16-2005, 08:08 AM
how about zab judah's footwork after he got knocked down in the zoo fight.

Priceless :D

spinksjinx
01-16-2005, 09:02 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Hands down top footwork in the game.

- Evil -
01-16-2005, 08:28 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Hands down top footwork in the game.

I always say good footwork depends on the style, but i agree that for his style Mayweather has perfect footwork.

He's P4P footwork king. :)

andreyd
01-20-2005, 07:41 AM
thanks all of you for good advices...