View Full Version : David Tua vs Michael Moorer. [ August 17, 2002 ]

paul750
01-19-2006, 06:49 PM
--Tua Quickly Tramples Moorer--
By Steve Gregg

(August 17, 2002) Atlantic City, NJ -(Taj Mahal)--

Faster then it takes to time an egg, the wicked throwing Samoan, David Tua (41-3, 36 KO's) cracked comebacking ex-light heavyweight and two-time heavyweight champion Michael Moorer (43-3-1, 34KO's) with a tremendous straight right that left the former champ scrambled on the canvas in just 30 seconds of the opening round.

--Sunny Side Up--

Friends since 1992 when they trained together at a gym in Houston, the pumped up Tua (243) refused to return the complaisant Moorer's (224) gaze during referee Rudy Battle's instructions but instead, glared menacingly at the floor before the bell.

"He's the greatest guy," stated Tua before the bout. "He's helped me in boxing and as a person. I have a lot of respect for him."

Rumbling forward at the sound of the opening bell, the tank like Tua, 5'9", was all business, firing off three jabs and driving a solid right to the slightly fleshy midsection of Moorer. Repeating the process, Tua planted another hard right to the body and backed the southpaw Moorer, 6'2", into the ropes.

Connecting with a crunching left hook under the heart, the stronger Tua, 29, missed with a looping overhand right but kept the older Moorer, 34, pinned on the ropes. Digging hard downstairs, Tua slammed in a left hook and a right uppercut and caught Moorer with a jarring left hook to the head as he tried to get off the ropes.

Sinking in a left hook to the liver, the rampaging Tua forced Moorer back onto the ropes. Countering, Moorer was shy with a whistling right hook that missed Tua's jaw by a fraction. Measuring with a left jab, the muscular Tua nailed Moorer with a sledge hammer straight right on the point of the chin and that was the end of the brief fight.

The unconscious Moorer's form turned to jelly and as he slid down, Tua followed up and clubbed him with a glancing left hook to the back of the skull that left the former champion draped over on the bottom rope, starring blankly into space. Referee Rudy Battle waved it off at mid-count so the stricken Moorer could be attended to by his equally stunned handlers.

"I felt good coming into the fight," said Moorer. "He tried to get inside and he did. I got hit with some looping punches I couldn't do anything about."

"I'm a friend of Michael's now and I always will be. But this is a business," reflected the victorious Tua. "The hard work made it look easy. Not bad for a country boy."

Not bad, indeed as the thunderous punching Tua keeps his hopes alive for another world title shot.

paul750
03-23-2006, 09:39 AM
Heres the video.
Tua vs Moorer. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C-yjrs7X6g&search=david%20tua)

mokele
03-23-2006, 10:28 AM
I watched that fight when it happened, and if I was a betting man I would have bet the house on Tua. These are the qualities necessary to deal with Tua:

(1) a good chin
(2) good legs
(3) skilled outside boxing
(4) occasional tying up inside

Of those 4 qualities, Moorer had only #3. I like Moorer but his weak chin and refusal to hold even when hurt made fighting Tua an act of suicide in the ring. Chris Byrd beat Tua by employing #s 2, 3 and 4. His chin is ok but nothing special, but Tua never really tested it.

paul750
03-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Like i just said in another post, Maskaev almost beat him, and he's got a bad chin, Rahman has given him trouble, and his chin is so-so. the fact is that Tua is a wasted talent plain and simple, he never seemed to have had the natural ability to get himself into positions to be able to land the big shots, yes of course he's knocked many people out, but i'm talking about his biggest and most important fights.

wichito_one
03-23-2006, 03:29 PM
I remember watching this fight I popped open a beer and the fight was over, probably one of the most brutal ko's I saw that yr.Michael looked horrible when he hit the deck.

XionComrade
03-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Didn't Tua break Moorer's back in that fight?

Talking Turkey
03-29-2006, 03:14 PM
Moorer winked at somebody in the crowd before this fight, not sure who it was at though.

SnoopySmurf
03-29-2006, 03:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJl3qrzVqZY&search=john%20ruiz

Great idea! I looked up John Ruiz and only this ^ came up. :D

Dempseyistheman
03-29-2006, 04:13 PM
Wish I saw that fight.