View Full Version : Got beat in sparring yesterday

boxer2k5
01-13-2005, 04:40 PM
i felt good working out all day

but when i had to spar yesterday and i got into the ring
i felt a state of shock
nto shock its hard to explain

i felt liek i was driving a car on a highway with a million people in there with me
telling me what to do and when to do it
and i was thinking of who to listen to
and by the time i chose one i get hit

it was like that for 3 rounds with 2 different guys

i threw an occasonal jab jsut to let them know i was in there but i really wasnt mentally

and i have a problem sparing with people i see everyday
people i talk to and workout with and talk stratigies
even though they are trying to take my head off
i cant seem to think about taking theirs

they have more experience than me and maybe my lack of experience is showing
but i cant seem to hit them as hard as i can
its like our boxing your little cousin and he htis you hard but you cant seem to try and hit him as hard as you can

i dont know maybe i dont have a killer instinct or maybe i jsut have a problem fighting friends and stable mates

i know i had aa problem thinking too much and not relying on reflexes

but hopefully all this stuff will come to me in due time

cms
01-13-2005, 05:01 PM

i felt a state of shock

i felt liek i was driving a car on a highway with a million people in there with me

i threw an occasonal jab jsut to let them know i was in there but i really wasnt mentally

its like our boxing your little cousin and he htis you hard but you cant seem to try and hit him as hard as you can

i dont know maybe i dont have a killer instinct or maybe i jsut have a problem fighting friends and stable mates

da reflexes will come , but as for fighting friends i think that is a personal thing, i spar my friends and i take it easy but i still let them know i can beat them at any second by hitting them with like 3 hard shots , im complete oppisite of u boxer2k5 i cant stand fighting ppl i dont know lol

ShotgunSeanK
01-14-2005, 04:14 PM
when i spar people i know, yeah it does feel awkward, but youre always friends afterwards, and you can learn from eachother...id try not to let it bother you too much mate.

ophqui
01-14-2005, 04:49 PM
With regards to overthinking, that tends to be something u do if u dont spar enough. If you spend all ur time in the gym doing bag work or weights your reflexes arent being tested and wont be good when ur in the ring, so u overthink to compensate, but it dont work. Spar more. Alternativly u coulda just been having an off-day if u do spar regular (i dont know u or how long u been boxing for).
I really dont care about sparring with friends, mainly cos i dont spar hard with anyone, regardless of if i know them, in my mind thats what a heavy bags for.

elveiel
01-14-2005, 09:27 PM
Its a huge mental block, i had problems sparring against my old coach, i could beat his ass but didnt want to in front of everyone! :confused:

In the end i just got mad and beat on him, i ended up changing gyms(not for that reason) and try not to speak to any of the Heavys at the new gym.

It works, i can go in there and enjoy it. :)

rsl
01-14-2005, 09:39 PM

i felt a state of shock

" I was thinking of who to listen to and by the time I chose one I got hit". Sounds like you weren't focused at all. " Having a hard time fighting buddies". Sh*t back when I was heavily into boxing and Thai kickboxing, man my main sparring partner was my cousin who also is my best friend and he was the stud of our gym and we would rip each other to the body, sweep each other, and go hard w/ the kicks to the thighs. But the one thing me and him had a mutual understanding on was to take it light to the face and head. But when it came to the other guys in the gym who we considered as our acquaintances we would literally try to knock 'em into next week. The thing in our gym though, at the time we were the only ones who were closest in weight I was a natural 135 and he was between 140 - 145. We had some featherweights 126 - 130, the rest were 160 and up. We had fun w/ the big dudes 'cause we would just let loose on 'em, but obviously for the most part they wouldn't throw punches w/ the same intensity, but there were a few times that they've had enough and they would throw some serious shots. So bottom line we never gave a rats ass who was across from us friend or foe everybody got the same "shock treatment" and that's a good thing, 'cause it'll just make you, your buddies, and other gym members get better at your sport.

Atwa_66
01-14-2005, 10:09 PM

i felt a state of shock

I know how you feel, I spar with my brother occasionally
And I'm always afraid to go hard on him, even though he goes his all on me, It's hard sparring with people you know

ShotgunSeanK
01-15-2005, 01:17 AM
if im sparring with a firend we'll both agree to either hit hard or soft...once we both agree you feel more comfortable.

Fistecles
01-15-2005, 08:46 AM
I used to have a problem like that. I would choke because everybody was watching me(or maybe that was just in my head). But I quickly learned to not give a **** because I realized that I'm not going to be the boxer that other people want me to be. I stopped think of the advice people gave and just did my own thing, my own moves. Don't feel pressure to box the way other people want you to box. And for boxing friends, those are the best sparring matches in the gym, because a friend will never hold the rounds against you. A few times I coudn't avoid punches and my nose would start to run red. My friends would stop aand ask, are you alright. I just told them it comes with the territory. But durring really intense sparring we always finished with our arms around each others shoulders heaving and panting like tired buddies.

boxer2k5
01-17-2005, 05:39 PM
thanks fdor the responses

puppy_dogg
01-17-2005, 05:55 PM
2k5.... when you say that you just could'nt seem to throw as hard as you could, that sounds to me like it might be a problem with mentality. not everyone is a fighter, and the killer instinct just might not be there. i think thats why its best to start someone as early as possible so they develop some of those attributes. i think mayweather was boxing at 2 or 3 years old but he comes from a family blood line of fighters to, so im sure that helps.

boxer2k5
01-17-2005, 06:50 PM
i feel the instinct is there but the main problem was fighting pople i train with and see everyday

its liek the feeling if your mother chased you with a broom and was swinging as hard as she could you couldnt jsut wolly mop her as if it was a stranger in the street with a broom

when i fight people i dont know and spar in other gyms i feel fine and do much better

but when i spar with people i train with and talk to all the tiem i seem to hold back and rely on thinkiing more than reflex

but i know this is a problem and im working on it and im going to push myself wnext time i spar with my stable mates
i spar tomm but im going to another gym to spar my coach didnt tell me who im sparring but it doesnt matter to me

i feel talkign about this problem and set back and fighting my coach hard im over this problem

but i wont know until i get in the ring with one of those guys