Is it ok to lead with a long range uppercut instead of a jab as a southpaw

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it ok to lead with a long range uppercut instead of a jab as a southpaw

Naseem Hamed style?

What about if you pivot as you throw it?

Is it the best counter to a straight right? (since the right hook is blocked as the orthdox fighter throws his moste effctive punch the straight right?)

(im southpaw and this is my front hand right long range uppercut)

Throwing a lead right hand uppercut (as a southpaw) from a distance? How well do you like getting hit with left hooks? Years ago I an orthodox fighter, I forget his name, lead with left uppercuts against Tracy Spann, a southpaw. In the fourth round Spann hit him with a hook and almost corkscrewed his head off.
    Timed properly the (southpaw) right hook is the perfect counter to a straight right hand. Think about it: As he throws the straight right, the left shoulder goes back, he opens up. This turns him into a right hook thrown nice and tight.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
      Throwing a lead right hand uppercut (as a southpaw) from a distance? How well do you like getting hit with left hooks? Years ago I an orthodox fighter, I forget his name, lead with left uppercuts against Tracy Spann, a southpaw. In the fourth round Spann hit him with a hook and almost corkscrewed his head off.
      Timed properly the (southpaw) right hook is the perfect counter to a straight right hand. Think about it: As he throws the straight right, the left shoulder goes back, he opens up. This turns him into a right hook thrown nice and tight.
      Good point thanks as always grey!

Are you saying the only time I should lead with a front hook/ uppercut is as a counter?

So are you saying never lead with anything but a jab and a straight left?

Comment

I'm not saying "always" do (or do not do) anything. In the fight I mentioned above, the guy landed that uppercut several times before he got caught, hence the peril of 'always.'

Comment

One of the punches I will NEVER lead with.

Comment

Originally posted by Fearless View Post
            One of the punches I will NEVER lead with.
            But you are not a southpaw are you?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
              But you are not a southpaw are you?
              I'm orthodox, but to me it don't matter... I don't throw my uppercuts quick enough, especially from a distance... it's almost a swing the way Hamed does it

Comment

not a wise move. could you get away with it? sure, is it more likely that you get countered and perhaps even knocked out? absolutely.

not only is it hard to catch a cross with just one hand while throwing a punch but even if you succeed its likely to push you backwards and take the leverage off the uppercut or even make it fall short. making you vulnerable to a left hook coming behind the cross. by pivoting you only walk into his left hook more.

if its a looping right hand you can catch it with your left and fire a right uppercut at the same time, but not if its a cross. then its better to counter it by slipping outside while simultaneously throwing a short right hook.

Comment

Not a safe move and you would have to be very very very good to get away with it and have an absolute hammer of a lead uppercut to make the risk reward ratio a worthy gamble. If you want to practice getting your head kicked in please continue as that will be the result.
                  Last edited by Prince Mongo; 03-15-2013, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X