View Full Version : Ring Magazines 100 greatest punchers.

paul750
12-27-2005, 03:29 PM
In 2003, the writers of Ring Magazine published a ranking of the 100 greatest punchers of all-time. Not unlike an all-time pound-for-pound ranking, this list compares fighters across different weight categories and different eras. As such, it's entirely open for debate ...
1. Joe Louis
2. Sam Langford
3. Jimmy Wilde
4. Archie Moore
5. Sandy Saddler
6. Stanley Ketchell
7. Jack Dempsey
8. Bob Fitzsimmons
9. George Foreman
10. Earnie Shavers
11. Sugar Ray Robinson
12. Ruben Olivares
13. Wilfredo Gomez
14. Rock Marciano
15. Sonny Liston
16. Mike Tyson
17. Bob Foster
18. Thomas Hearns<SCRIPT>zSB(3,3);if(!z336){var zIsb=gEI("adsb");if(zIsb){zIsb.style.display="inline";zIsb.style.height="0px";zIsb.style.width="0px";}var zIss=gEI("adss");if(zIss){zIss.style.display="inline";zIss.style.height="0px";zIss.style.width="0px";}}</SCRIPT>

19. Khaosai Galaxy
20. Alexis Arguello
21. Carlos Zarate
22. Max Baer
23. Rocky Graziano
24. Matthew Saad Muhammad
25. Julian Jackson
26. Danny Lopez
27. Gerald McClellan
28. Roberto Duran
29. Rodrigo Valdez
30. Felix Trinidad
31. Pipino Cuevas
32. Jim Jefferies
33. Lennox Lewis
34. Bennie Briscoe
35. Marvin Hagler
36. Edwin Rosario
37. Tommy Ryan
38. John Mugabi
39. Joe Frazier
40. Carlos Monzon
41. Tony Zale
42. Michael Spinks
43. Joe Gans
44. Elmer Ray
45. George Godfrey
46. Naseem Hamed
47. Alfonso Zamora
48. David Tua
49. Cleveland Williams
50. Julio Cesar Chavez
51. Tiger Jack Fox
52. Joe Walcott
53. Gerry Cooney
54. Al (Bummy) Davis
55. Max Schmeling
56. Florentino Fernandez
57. Henry Armstrong
58. Bob Satterfield
59. Al Hostak
60. Jesus Pimentel
61. Eugene (Cyclone) Hart
62. Lew Jenkins
63. Harry Wills
64. Tom Sharkey
65. Terry McGovern
66. Jersey Joe Walcott
67. Kostya Tszyu
68. Leotis Martin
69. Buddy Baer
70. Donovan (Razor) Ruddock
71. Jose Luis Ramirez
72. Tommy Gomez
73. Jose Napoles
74. Kid McCoy
75. Antonio Esparragoza
76. Ricardo Moreno
77. Evander Holyfield
78. Ike Williams
79. Luis Firpo
80. Ricardo Lopez
81. Humberto Gonzalez
82. Bobby Chacon
83. Jock McAvoy
84. Eduardo Lausse
85. Eder Jofre
86. Charley Burley
87. Mike McCallum
88. Salvador Sanchez
89. Roy Jones JR
90. Rodolfo Gonzalez
91. Nigel Benn
92. (Irish) Bob Murphy
93. Paul Berlenbach
94. Battling Torres
95. Chalky Wright
96. George (K.O.) Chaney
97. Andy Ganigan
98. Fred Fulton
99. Ingemar Johansson
100. Charley White

Brassangel
12-27-2005, 03:53 PM
Dempsey was powerful even when it was his own fists and not one made of paris...

Why don't they have Holyfield's head on there?

paul750
12-27-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm not sure why Holyfield is on there. Theres no doubt he's a legend, but he was never a devastating puncher.

Brassangel
12-27-2005, 04:01 PM
Yeah, although he was a pretty sharp puncher when he was on. He would land 7-9 punch combos on people in a counter-punch situation. Maybe this is also referring to combos and technical punching skill in addition to power. After all, I doubt that 8 guys could punch harder than George Foreman, or 14 guys over Sonny Liston, Mike Tyson, etc. I guess if they are trying to cover all bases and weight classes, they have to squeeze them in somewhere.

I was just stating that Evander's head-butt of doom won him a lot of fights without having to land anything devastating.

paul750
12-27-2005, 04:06 PM
I was just stating that Evander's head-butt of doom won him a lot of fights without having to land anything devastating.I've watched a lot of Holyfield fights, and it always seemed to me that he was just a rough fighter, but i don't believe it was ever intentional, a few headbutts did not make Evander Holyfield what he was IMO.

Brassangel
12-27-2005, 04:43 PM
While that's true, it did cost him his ear at the teeth of a madman beyond his disciplined years.

It also forced another man's forehead to grow a golf ball full of blood.

Lennox Lewis complained about it, as did Ruiz, and a few others. I just exaggerated it for comedic purposes.

I'm surprised that no one is commenting on this thread...

Dempsey1238
12-27-2005, 06:35 PM
were is the Toy Bulldog??

I sure Walker is in the top 100 hitters of all time.

mECHsLAVE
12-28-2005, 01:44 AM
While that's true, it did cost him his ear at the teeth of a madman beyond his disciplined years.

It also forced another man's forehead to grow a golf ball full of blood.

Lennox Lewis complained about it, as did Ruiz, and a few others. I just exaggerated it for comedic purposes.

I'm surprised that no one is commenting on this thread...

What's funny to me about the people who still deny that Holyfield consistently cheated, fouled and used his head as a weapon is that there's basically a smoking gun- everyone saw the training footage of Manny (who of course has trained Holyfield) demonstrate exactly how Holyfield normally tries to headbutt his opponents, warning Lennox not to leave space or Evander would have room to butt him on the inside.

As for the list, pretty good list. I might have Dempsey, Tyson and Hearns all a little higher than they are, though.

Yogi
12-28-2005, 01:10 PM
Dempsey was powerful even when it was his own fists and not one made of paris...

Brassangel, I directed a post to you in regrads to Dempsey and the plaster theory, which I believe was in the 'Greatest Knockouts' thread from a few days ago...Did you not see it?

Brassangel
12-29-2005, 06:01 PM
Yes I've read it. And while a story may have been exaggerated by an angry or disgruntled former associate of the great Jack Dempsey, it wasn't put to rest by the fact that Jack spoke of such antics to interviewers later in life. It's true that he didn't do it repeatedly. In fact, it may have only been in one incident (broken ribs and various other bones of an opponent 50 lbs. heavier), but I doubt he was crazy when he made such comments. He of course, justified himself (or tried to), by stating such things that other boxers partook of, including: moving padding away from the knuckles in between rounds, placing blinding solvents on gloves or over eyebrows, etc. It was also common practice to hold your opponent's head still with one hand while taking free shots at it with the other. Fitzsimmons conceded to wrapping his hands against Jeffries; and only after a lot of rounds did it eventually break one of his fingers. A guy could wear a cement block for a glove so long as he was exerting the force and not running into it. It's just science. Dempsey only needed it for three rounds against the large punching bag that was Willis. Secondly, the gloves were far lighter at that time than they were today. Give Tyson, or Liston, or Foreman gloves that weigh 4-8 ounces like they had in the olden days instead of 14-16 oz. and I guarantee there would have been plenty more bones broken in their fights.

While I know this doesn't disqualify Jack Dempsey as a great, I just tend to pick on one particular noteable in boxing history for a short while. My current flavor happens to be Holyfield's head-butt. Jack Dempsey was definitely one of the best; and he used what was given to him. The combination of shenanigans and mixed stories all over the place makes for good nit-pickin. Besides, every major critic believes that Jeffries would have eaten Dempsey for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I still like Dempsey, I just pick a flavor of the week. Again, I'm on Holyfield's head right now. Stay tuned as I'm sure to jump to Tex Cobb's stupidity.

supaduck
12-30-2005, 05:56 AM
I disagree with a lot of the places on that list, but the one i'm going to bring up is Julian Jackson at #25. I'd put him at #1 or #2.

Brassangel
12-30-2005, 12:10 PM
I think that they were trying to cover all weight classes, not just the "hardest" hitters. Chances are, there would be only heavyweights then. I also believe that it's trying to cover a plethora of definitions for the term "strongest" including style, purity, power, technique, etc.

supaduck
12-30-2005, 12:39 PM
Ah, I see. So they included handspeed, accuracy etc... Fair enough.

Brassangel
12-30-2005, 01:33 PM
Maybe, just a guess. Otherwise this list would be a little skewed to me.

supaduck
12-31-2005, 01:14 PM
I doubt it's a guess. They would have called it the "100 hardest punchers of all time" if that was what they meant :)

Skydog
12-31-2005, 04:46 PM
Bob Foster is way too low. He knocked out people with solid chins such as Tiger and Quarry with one punch.

Dempsey is a bit too high.

Joe Louis is right where he needs to be.

Frazier could be MUCH higher.

supaduck
12-31-2005, 04:54 PM
I agree, Frazier was an excellent puncher. I don't know why people usually underrate him.

moondog0
01-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Louis is the man, I'm glad they have him where he belongs, Tyson hit hard and fast, but didn't seem to phase Holyfield in either fight??

Dempsey 1919
01-05-2006, 03:43 PM
Louis is the man, I'm glad they have him where he belongs, Tyson hit hard and fast, but didn't seem to phase Holyfield in either fight??

foreman hit harder than louis. deal with it.

paul750
01-05-2006, 03:48 PM
foreman hit harder than louis. deal with it.
It's not just about power, it's about accuracy, timing, speed etc.

supaduck
01-05-2006, 04:44 PM
I still think Julian Jackson at #25 is bull****.

Brassangel
01-05-2006, 04:45 PM
I was going to say, I could post my earlier reply again in hopes of clearing up the fact that it isn't just about power.

Tyson should be a little higher, as he had frightenly accurate combinations. He did get a little careless, however, when his opponents were reeling.

Foreman just clobbered to-and-fro without much grace or form.

Frazier's right hand was slightly limp, and often used as a decoy to move people towards his left. He had a beautiful left, which is why he's in a good spot on the list.

Rocky Marciano had about the most textbook stance after a strong right hand. You could model the WBA logo after that position.

Sugar Ray Robinson was a punching dynamo!

Joe Louis was also a near-perfect puncher.

All-in-all, it's a decent list. One last note: IT'S NOT THE 100 HARDEST PUNCHERS!! People need to stop coming on here and saying who hits harder than who.

Heckler
01-06-2006, 06:58 AM
if its not the hardest punchers, Why not Ali for the best handspeed in Boxing HW history, he had good timing and good accuracy. Watch a muhammad Ali right Cross off the ropes against Foreman, He judges the distance perfectly and bursts in with a beautiful jab then cross.. or sometimes a lead right cross. I think the reason hes not there is because he never executed these manouveres with textbook form which pissed off many a 'boxing expert' whom were appauled with his 'antics'. Irrespective of whether it was textbook or not, its effectiveness is shown throughout his career.

Dempsey1238
01-06-2006, 02:18 PM
I still say Walker should have been in the top 100.

Brassangel
01-06-2006, 03:35 PM
Ali wasn't a great puncher; he was a great tactician. He knew exactly how to use every resource to his advantage. His left jab was one of the prettiest, that's true. On a side note, however, he didn't actually have the fastest hand speed in heavyweight history; look around, you'll find this out. Nevertheless, he was one of the most fluid fighters ever, but his punching was really just a part of his gameplan. He did what he could to gain psychological advantages, as well as forcing exhaustion from his opponents. His style and grace gave him many things over his adversaries, and took away their morale. It's not too difficult to make challengers look stupid and slow with these things going for you.

Also, this magazine is trying to cover all divisions, not just heavyweight. If it was hardest punchers, there would just be heavyweights. A 200+ pound guy with a good swing will usually be more powerful than any below him; save perhaps, Bruce Lee.

RockyMarcianofan00
01-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Rocky should been closer to the top 5 then 14
it should be
Joe Louis
Rocky or Foreman
Foreman or Rocky
Dempsey
________
Live sex webshows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

RockyMarcianofan00
01-06-2006, 04:08 PM
I was going to say, I could post my earlier reply again in hopes of clearing up the fact that it isn't just about power.

Tyson should be a little higher, as he had frightenly accurate combinations. He did get a little careless, however, when his opponents were reeling.

Frazier's right hand was slightly limp, and often used as a decoy to move people towards his left. He had a beautiful left, which is why he's in a good spot on the list.

Rocky Marciano had about the most textbook stance after a strong right hand. You could model the WBA logo after that position.

All-in-all, it's a decent list. One last note: IT'S NOT THE 100 HARDEST PUNCHERS!! People need to stop coming on here and saying who hits harder than who.

hmmm i got toake another look cause you maybe rite
________
Colorado Dispensaries (http://colorado.dispensaries.org/)

supaduck
01-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Brassangel Ali wasn't a great puncher; he was a great tactician. He knew exactly how to use every resource to his advantage. His left jab was one of the prettiest, that's true. On a side note, however, he didn't actually have the fastest hand speed in heavyweight history; look around, you'll find this out. Nevertheless, he was one of the most fluid fighters ever, but his punching was really just a part of his gameplan. He did what he could to gain psychological advantages, as well as forcing exhaustion from his opponents. His style and grace gave him many things over his adversaries, and took away their morale. It's not too difficult to make challengers look stupid and slow with these things going for you.

Also, this magazine is trying to cover all divisions, not just heavyweight. If it was hardest punchers, there would just be heavyweights. A 200+ pound guy with a good swing will usually be more powerful than any below him; save perhaps, Bruce Lee.

What's this ****? Bruce Lee doesn't hit any harder than someone like Nigel Benn (in fact, Benn hits harder than Lee), whats with all this "Lee is immortal and above everyone else" media influenced bull****? You guys must think Bruce Lee can do everything better than everyone...

And the list is obviously P4P, what that I said made you think I thought otherwise? A young or old George Foreman may hit harder than Julian Jackson due to being 5 stone heavier, but against a fighter of both their own weights, a Jackson punch would obviously be more effective. I never said the list was only about hard hitters, but Julian Jackson should still be higher up on the list, since Foreman made it in the top 10 and he had no better technique than Jackson.

hellfire508
01-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Hearns and Foster should be higher. Ketchel maybe a LITTLE higher.

I feel Moore is a little too high. Julian Jackson should be higher.

Trinidad is too high.

Joe Gans is too high.

Kostya Tszyu is too low.

Jofre is far too low.

Hamed could be higher.

I think its a good list of names, but a bad order.

hellfire508
01-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Rocky should been closer to the top 5 then 14
it should be
Joe Louis
Rocky or Foreman
Foreman or Rocky
Dempsey

All heavies?

Skydog
01-10-2006, 07:53 PM

Frazier vs. Stander, Mathis, Machen, Chuvalo, and Quarry is all proof that Frazier does not have a weak right. Nearly all the commentators say he has an extremely powerful straight right, and when he fought Mathis, he had 9 KO's with a straight right, 9 with a left hook.

Brassangel
01-10-2006, 10:17 PM
While this is something often pointed out, I must concede that Joe Frazier did have a decent right hand. It was Joe, himself, who said that he felt he almost didn't need it out there. In his training manual (and autobiography), he said, "I used it (my right) as a parrying tool to push people towards my left side. My right eye started going bad also, which made it harder to use that hand as time went on."

What a critic thinks about a person doesn't say much compared to what a person knows about themselves. Nonetheless, read my Frazier vs. Holyfield fight; I give plenty of credit to his right hand. :D

Brassangel
01-10-2006, 10:26 PM
In regards to my earlier comment about Bruce Lee:

Bruce Lee gave several demonstrations at gymnasiums and martial arts academies where he punched people who were 80-100 pounds heavier than himself, while holding a body pad (weighing 60+ punds), and he knocked them back an average of ten feet. He could also punch without a wind up or a swing and knock people out who were heavier than himself. The man knew the mechanics of power distribution, timing, and speed. In terms of raw power, there were probably many others above him. Knowing how to use it most efficiently...there's no one in his class. Bruce Lee is a rare exception to the rule that heavier people generate more raw punching power per class (ie: heavyweights hit harder than lightweights, etc.).

Since this thread was not about the hardest or even the most devastating punchers, I felt that it was safe to make this small, if insignificant statement. This is a salad bowl of punching categories, much like Guitar magazines will rate the "best" players on a number of different categories.

Skydog
01-10-2006, 11:20 PM
While this is something often pointed out, I must concede that Joe Frazier did have a decent right hand. It was Joe, himself, who said that he felt he almost didn't need it out there. In his training manual (and autobiography), he said, "I used it (my right) as a parrying tool to push people towards my left side. My right eye started going bad also, which made it harder to use that hand as time went on."

What a critic thinks about a person doesn't say much compared to what a person knows about themselves. Nonetheless, read my Frazier vs. Holyfield fight; I give plenty of credit to his right hand. :D

I know, I saw your prediction, and it was great! But, no matter what Joe said, he could really lay the smackdown with that right hand. I can send you Frazier vs. Stander, where he turns Stander into a zombie with a single right uppercut.

Yaman
01-11-2006, 10:21 AM
That list is kinda ****ed up regarding Tyson. IMO he's the best and one of the hardest punchers ever. Look at the 80s Tyson were his punches were so perfect and devastating. He blew his punching ability because he lifted heavy weights. Remember the Buster Mathis, Jr fight? ''Tyson misses, and he misses another one and another one!!!!)

jabsRstiff
01-11-2006, 10:26 AM
That list is kinda ****ed up regarding Tyson. IMO he's the best and one of the hardest punchers ever. Look at the 80s Tyson were his punches were so perfect and devastating. He blew his punching ability because he lifted heavy weights. Remember the Buster Mathis, Jr fight? ''Tyson misses, and he misses another one and another one!!!!)

Tyson was rated above.....

Julian Jackson, Pipino Cuevas, Thomas Hearns, Bob Foster, Carlos Zarate...

They all should have been higher than he was, IMO.

Dempsey 1919
01-11-2006, 10:30 AM

he's the best at quitting to any fighter who fought back.

Yaman
01-11-2006, 12:54 PM
he's the best at quitting to any fighter who fought back.

When did he quit? Tell me that. Mcbride and who else? He lost 5 other fights. None of those were quitting you idiot. Why did you go offtopic anyway? Like do you have anything to defend against Tyson's punching?

moondog0
01-11-2006, 02:31 PM
It did'nt seem to effect Holyfield? Tyson could hit when he came up, but also threw a barrage of very effective combinations, people were very intimidated by his speed and quick punching ability

Yaman
01-11-2006, 04:48 PM
He Didn't hit Evander headbuttfield. He hit him but he didn't HIT him.

Fight_Nightx
01-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Since this thread was not about the hardest or even the most devastating punchers, I felt that it was safe to make this small, if insignificant statement. This is a salad bowl of punching categories, much like Guitar magazines will rate the "best" players on a number of different categories.

Stochelo Rosenbeerg is the greatest guitar player ever!!

http://www.djangobooks.com/archives/2003/12/28/stochelo_rosenberg_minor_swing.html

http://www.about-django.com/news/videos/videos.php

Brassangel
01-11-2006, 08:28 PM
On the topic of guitar players, there is no correct answer. Styles and techniques will separate them for eternity; same as boxers.

tapping: Van Halen
improvisation: Hendrix
fret reach: Vai
vibrato: King
chorus tones: Johnson

etc. etc. etc...

Back to the topic.

Tyson was an incredible puncher, but he lacked the ability to use his talents when a fight was even. He simply refused to gain control of a fight that could go either way. While it's true that the majority of the examples one could list here would be associated with his entry into the Don King camp, it is still a part of Tyson's character. They gave him credit where his credit was due and thus, he finished in the top 16% of ALL punchers from ALL weight classes. I'd say that's enough given how he slid down the stinkiest toilet in the sport's history during the prime of his career.

@butterfly1964: Lots of fighters "fought back" with Mike before Buster Douglas; Tyson had heart before 1989 and neutralized his opponent's attacks. Again, King is largely responsible for this. Even so, Mike should have been aware of his own strengths and weaknesses.

Arrgghh...another Tyson topic.

Skydog
01-11-2006, 10:44 PM
On the topic of guitar players, there is no correct answer. Styles and techniques will separate them for eternity; same as boxers.

tapping: Van Halen
improvisation: Hendrix
fret reach: Vai
vibrato: King
chorus tones: Johnson
etc. etc. etc...

Back to the topic.

Tyson was an incredible puncher, but he lacked the ability to use his talents when a fight was even. He simply refused to gain control of a fight that could go either way. While it's true that the majority of the examples one could list here would be associated with his entry into the Don King camp, it is still a part of Tyson's character. They gave him credit where his credit was due and thus, he finished in the top 16% of ALL punchers from ALL weight classes. I'd say that's enough given how he slid down the stinkiest toilet in the sport's history during the prime of his career.

@butterfly1964: Lots of fighters "fought back" with Mike before Buster Douglas; Tyson had heart before 1989 and neutralized his opponent's attacks. Again, King is largely responsible for this. Even so, Mike should have been aware of his own strengths and weaknesses.

Arrgghh...another Tyson topic.

Gotta go with Gilmour for vibrato, and I think Hendrix takes it for feedback. Improvisation? YOu obviously haven't heard the Allman Brothers' AT FILLMORE EAST or Led Zeppelin's SONG REMAINS THE SAME or HOW THE WEST WAS WON.

moondog0
01-12-2006, 10:03 AM
What's that guy's name for AC/DC, he's not bad either, Is it Angus? Guitar playing isn't my bag...

Brassangel
01-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Skydog: The votes presented were by the artists.

Everybody: We're way off topic here.

Skydog
01-12-2006, 07:51 PM
I know, I was just stating my opinions. Didn't mean it as a cut-down to you or anything.