View Full Version : Is the Mex vs PR rivalry good for boxing?

UTEP
11-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Is the Mex vs PR rivalry good for boxing, Or does is it just bring out the ugly side of people here on boxingscene?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dqBlARq7NsQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jtcs1981
11-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Internet brings the worst of people. Rivalry? Just look how much respect those fighters have for each other. Ignorant and fools do their thing.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

-Johannes-
11-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Internet brings the worst of people. Rivalry? Just look how much respect those fighters have for each other. Ignorant and fools do their thing.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

You're right. The anonymity that the internet offers brings the worst of people.

The rivalry is awesome. Rivalry raises the level of competition thus giving us great excitement and provides extra motivation for the fighters to fight harder and the fans to cheer louder. It's a wonderfull thing and I live the rivalry with the highest of emotions.

-jose-
11-28-2012, 12:15 PM
I love me a Puerto Rico vs Mexico rivalry and I bet cases of beers with the Mexicans I know around my way...win or loose we all get drunk and continue with our day...what jtcs1981 said is right on point! I actually didn't know there was so much e-beef on this topic until I joined this site...

I have much respect for everyone here especially the latinos but there's a couple that are extremely ignorant...

RIZO24
11-28-2012, 12:27 PM
I love me a Puerto Rico vs Mexico rivalry and I bet cases of beers with the Mexicans I know around my way...win or loose we all get drunk and continue with our day...what jtcs1981 said is right on point! I actually didn't know there was so much e-beef on this topic until I joined this site...

I have much respect for everyone here especially the latinos but there's a couple that are extremely ignorant...

I have to admit that before I joined this site I knew about our rivalry but not all the ugly e-beef. Before I would root for all PR fighters against non hispanics, Now I don't root for them as much. Some of my favorite PR fighters I would root for are Tito, Manfredy and Collazo. Nowadays I root for WV 2 and that's about it, PR is lacking in good fighters right now. I can't stand Cotto!!!!!

-jose-
11-28-2012, 12:39 PM
I have to admit that before I joined this site I knew about our rivalry but not all the ugly e-beef. Before I would root for all PR fighters against non hispanics, Now I don't root for them as much. Some of my favorite PR fighters I would root for are Tito, Manfredy and Collazo. Nowadays I root for WV 2 and that's about it, PR is lacking in good fighters right now. I can't stand Cotto!!!!!

and that's how you feel and I respect that, every Mexican I know personally hates him and I go back and forth with them but in a respectful way not like here with some cats that start throwing racial slurs for no reason, ignorance...
when I first joined here my first 5 sigs I did were for my Mexican brothers and they hate Cotto ^^^ lol!...one of my favorite boxers of all times is Chavez Sr. and when he beast Camacho I was upset but it didn't make me hate him but respect his amazing boxing skills...

controlmachete
11-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Is the Mex vs PR rivalry good for boxing, Or does is it just bring out the ugly side of people here on boxingscene?

Both... It is good for boxing and brings out the ugly side of people around here, some are downright nasty.. From both sides..

Optimistic
11-28-2012, 12:58 PM
Competition is always good in any sport, brings out the best of both sides, PR-Mex rivalry included.

Just disregard & ignore the very bias & ignorant posters.

RIZO24
11-28-2012, 01:00 PM
and that's how you feel and I respect that, every Mexican I know personally hates him and I go back and forth with them but in a respectful way not like here with some cats that start throwing racial slurs for no reason, ignorance...
when I first joined here my first 5 sigs I did were for my Mexican brothers and they hate Cotto ^^^ lol!...one of my favorite boxers of all times is Chavez Sr. and when he beast Camacho I was upset but it didn't make me hate him but respect his amazing boxing skills...

I just watched Chavez sr VS Laporte. laporte was giving it to Chavez early but started fading later in the fight. I Had Chavez winning by Two points, what do you think? Also I recenltly rewatched Cotto VS Mosely and again I thought Mosely won Cotto was doing good for rounds1-8, I had Cotto winning by two points at that time but then Mosely got aggressive and walked Cotto down from rounds 9-12. I had Mosely winning by 2 points.

UTEP
11-28-2012, 01:08 PM
I think it's the best boxing rivalry of all times! Nothing get's my blood pumping hard like a good Mex vs PR boxing match.

I'm just wondering if the national extremists on this site really argue like that with each other out in public or if they're just like that on here.

-jose-
11-28-2012, 01:17 PM
I just watched Chavez sr VS Laporte. laporte was giving it to Chavez early but started fading later in the fight. I Had Chavez winning by Two points, what do you think? Also I recenltly rewatched Cotto VS Mosely and again I thought Mosely won Cotto was doing good for rounds1-8, I had Cotto winning by two points at that time but then Mosely got aggressive and walked Cotto down from rounds 9-12. I had Mosely winning by 2 points.

Laporte did give Chavez a good early beating especially in round 3 but I agree that he did start fading as the fight progressed so I might agree with you just a little bit on this one but on the Cotto/Mosley fight I do believe Cotto did win a very close fight...

What do you honestly think about the Cotto/Margarito 2 stoppage?

RIZO24
11-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Laporte did give Chavez a good early beating especially in round 3 but I agree that he did start fading as the fight progressed so I might agree with you just a little bit on this one but on the Cotto/Mosley fight I do believe Cotto did win a very close fight...

What do you honestly think about the Cotto/Margarito 2 stoppage?

I mean his eye was ****ed up.. The thing is that Margarito was starting to finally land even if Cotto was still getting the better of the exchanges. I just regret that we did not see the last rounds of the fight. Not saying that Cotto would not continue to dominate but what if Margarito would of kept the pressure and hurt Cotto???To me the stoppage was fine if it was made to protect Margarito's eye but it was weird that they stopped it right when Margarito was finally landing. I can tell you this this fight filly convinced me that Margarito did not have loaded gloves in their first fight. If Cotto fully believed that Margarito had loaded gloves in their first fight then why did he box and used so much movement in their second fight? Imo if Cotto really believed that Margs had loaded gloves the first time then he should of stood his ground and tried to kO Margarito but he didn't, once he felt that Margs power was still there in the second fight he decided to box and win by points. Margarito had the same power in the second fight and Cotto realized that.

-jose-
11-28-2012, 03:45 PM
I mean his eye was ****ed up.. The thing is that Margarito was starting to finally land even if Cotto was still getting the better of the exchanges. I just regret that we did not see the last rounds of the fight. Not saying that Cotto would not continue to dominate but what if Margarito would of kept the pressure and hurt Cotto???To me the stoppage was fine if it was made to protect Margarito's eye but it was weird that they stopped it right when Margarito was finally landing. I can tell you this this fight filly convinced me that Margarito did not have loaded gloves in their first fight. If Cotto fully believed that Margarito had loaded gloves in their first fight then why did he box and used so much movement in their second fight? Imo if Cotto really believed that Margs had loaded gloves the first time then he should of stood his ground and tried to kO Margarito but he didn't, once he felt that Margs power was still there in the second fight he decided to box and win by points. Margarito had the same power in the second fight and Cotto realized that.

I'll be honest with you I was celebrating his win but at same time I wanted the fight to go the distance.

RIZO24
11-28-2012, 03:55 PM
I'll be honest with you I was celebrating his win but at same time I wanted the fight to go the distance.

Margarito and Cotto fans were robbed of some great rounds. We can only speculate what the rounds would of been like and that really bothers me. Just though of a thread title.. I will ask posters on NSB what they think those rounds would of looked like..Lol

-jose-
11-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Margarito and Cotto fans were robbed of some great rounds. We can only speculate what the rounds would of been like and that really bothers me. Just though of a thread title.. I will ask posters on NSB what they think those rounds would of looked like..Lol
:lol1: that's like staring a war.

RIZO24
11-28-2012, 05:14 PM
:lol1: that's like staring a war.

I started the thread and everything is pretty legit right now. Nomas esta opinando la gente sin faltar al respeto... lol

-jose-
11-28-2012, 05:39 PM
I started the thread and everything is pretty legit right now. Nomas esta opinando la gente sin faltar al respeto... lol

I saw it and its got potential...but its just a matter of time before the bomb explodes :lol1:

EdWins
11-28-2012, 07:04 PM
boxingscene still aint as bad as youtube..

but yeah the Mex/PR rivalry has been a blessing for boxing, and I always root for Latinos regardless and i aint nationalistic or anything but I just genuinely enjoy the way Latino boxers typically fight, ALL of us fight with so much heart and passion, yes that goes for our Puerto Rican brothers too even tho their boxing scene is in a bit of a drought right now tho...

cactusEG
11-29-2012, 01:34 AM
I didnt even think that rivalry still lived ?

citolindo
11-29-2012, 01:53 AM
Of course it is. I cant wait for rios vs garcia if they ever fight. To cultures with alot of pride. Great for boxing.

thuggery
11-29-2012, 07:56 AM
Tony was on his way to winning the second fight.

UTEP
11-29-2012, 11:06 AM
boxingscene still aint as bad as youtube..

but yeah the Mex/PR rivalry has been a blessing for boxing, and I always root for Latinos regardless and i aint nationalistic or anything but I just genuinely enjoy the way Latino boxers typically fight, ALL of us fight with so much heart and passion, yes that goes for our Puerto Rican brothers too even tho their boxing scene is in a bit of a drought right now tho...

Yea I always root for the Latino too, every boxer in the world say's they fight for their fans but it seem's like Latinos are the only ones that back it up.

I didnt even think that rivalry still lived ?

Oh yea, It's alive and kicking :boxing:

Of course it is. I cant wait for rios vs garcia if they ever fight. To cultures with alot of pride. Great for boxing.

Unfortunately that fight won't happen till Bob Arum croaks.

elgranluchadore
11-29-2012, 03:02 PM
its a blessing imo, i mean promoters are mostly looking to match them up against each other and gives us great bouts like salido vs juanma

baya
11-29-2012, 03:08 PM
of course it is. what's a sport without the yankees / boston or redskins / cowgirls?

Cuauhtémoc1520
11-29-2012, 04:23 PM
of course it is. what's a sport without the yankees / boston or redskins / cowgirls?

How dare you use the word cowgirls...

When referring to the great Dallas Cowboys you use the proper words and make sure to capitalize the C !!!!

UTEP
11-29-2012, 05:02 PM
How dare you use the word cowgirls...

When referring to the great Dallas Cowboys you use the proper words and make sure to capitalize the C !!!!

I bet he's a Redskins fan :nonono:

http://kimages.imikimi.com/image/1bd1-14w-4.jpg?height=640&scale=max&width=640

STREET CLEANER
11-29-2012, 07:22 PM
The rivalry is good for boxing. The announcers and the promoters get on it too. It spice things up

ELHURACAN58
11-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Pretty dumb question IMO, its not like 80% of boxing fans even spend their time in boxingscene.

UTEP
11-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Pretty dumb question IMO, its not like 80% of boxing fans even spend their time in boxingscene.

Fuk off troll. Your opinion don't mean shyt anyway.

The Hoff
11-29-2012, 11:46 PM
We run boxing! When a Mex & Rican get in the ring; it's a WAR.
It's good for the sport... Why? Because when we fight others... Too boring and not entertaining.

I respect the Ricans (expect the biased-cyber ones) they bring it and always give us a good fight.

thuggery
11-30-2012, 02:43 AM
My favorite Rican posters are PRPPunches and AnimalisticMeth

ELHURACAN58
11-30-2012, 06:29 AM
Fuk off troll. Your opinion don't mean shyt anyway.

:bottle::bottle:

UTEP
11-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Tony was on his way to winning the second fight.

Yea I was fukin PIST when they stopped the fight, especially right after the most exciting round of the whole fight!!! Cotto would have probly cruized his way to a victory anyway but this was a 65$ PPV, fans didn't buy the PPV for a BS stoppage. If HBO, the doctors, and the New York commision were so concerned about Margaritos eye before the fight then they shouldn't of had the fight in the first place. It's not like his eye looked as bad as the fighters below

http://www.lpi.lt/uploads/posts/2008-07/1216741746_1216663820_fo.jpg

http://receph.apextech.netdna-cdn.com/images/2011/12/01/132047_5.jpg

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/906421/IMG_8160aFIGHTimages.jpg

http://www.mightyfighter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/morales-eye-2.jpg

thuggery
11-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Yea I was fukin PIST when they stopped the fight, especially right after the most exciting round of the whole fight!!! Cotto would have probly cruized his way to a victory anyway but this was a 65$ PPV, fans didn't buy the PPV for a BS stoppage. If HBO, the doctors, and the New York commision were so concerned about Margaritos eye before the fight then they shouldn't of had the fight in the first place. It's not like his eye looked as bad as the fighters below

Exactly, and where was that "doctor" in the Pacquiao fight where the eye was damaged in the first place?

boricuajr23
12-01-2012, 08:02 AM
The rivalry is great. Too much pride from both sides only makes it that much better. Neither side wants to lose to the other but have respect for them wether they want to admit it or not.

I've been lucky enough to experience a few weigh ins and there is nothing like it when PR-Mexico collide. The atmosphere gets picked up big time when both countries are involved in a big title fight. I even went to Pacquiao-Cotto and no disrespect to Filipino fans, i just felt like they were missing something. Canelo vs Cotto has to be made in Vegas! It just has to!

UTEP
12-01-2012, 01:59 PM
The rivalry is great. Too much pride from both sides only makes it that much better. Neither side wants to lose to the other but have respect for them wether they want to admit it or not.

I've been lucky enough to experience a few weigh ins and there is nothing like it when PR-Mexico collide. The atmosphere gets picked up big time when both countries are involved in a big title fight. I even went to Pacquiao-Cotto and no disrespect to Filipino fans, i just felt like they were missing something. Canelo vs Cotto has to be made in Vegas! It just has to!

Damn you been to some good boxing events. Cotto vs Canelo will be the biggest boxing event since De la Hoya/Mayweather. nobody cares about manny vs mayweather anymore. Cotto has to win tonight so the fight of the decade gets made!

edit: I guess we could forget about that :banghead:

boricuajr23
12-02-2012, 07:55 AM
Damn you been to some good boxing events. Cotto vs Canelo will be the biggest boxing event since De la Hoya/Mayweather. nobody cares about manny vs mayweather anymore. Cotto has to win tonight so the fight of the decade gets made!

edit: I guess we could forget about that :banghead:

LOL...well maybe it can still get made. Cotto looked unconfortable in the ring. Seemed to be reaching more. I'm sure he has one last good fight left in him.

UTEP
12-06-2012, 02:56 AM
LOL...well maybe it can still get made. Cotto looked unconfortable in the ring. Seemed to be reaching more. I'm sure he has one last good fight left in him.

If it's on an undercard of a big PPV then yea, but I wouldn't pay $70 (HD) for a Cotto/Canelo headliner PPV.

TX_BOXNG
12-06-2012, 07:48 AM
If it's on an undercard of a big PPV then yea, but I wouldn't pay $70 (HD) for a Cotto/Canelo headliner PPV.

Most likely it would, cause both can sell events by themselves, unlike Mayweather lol

I want Angulo vs Cotto, Canelo destroys Cotto with power punches n great timing, either way i want my Meskins to retire him lol, Cotto was a bad ass always took the big challenges

-DSG-
01-04-2013, 11:14 PM
if you dont like cotto your an idiot plain and simple.

RIZO24
01-05-2013, 09:19 AM

I'm a self declared idiot then,I hate Cotto!

-Johannes-
01-07-2013, 01:41 PM

Elaborate?

Ant Dgk
01-10-2013, 05:52 AM
La verdad en mi opinion me da igual , claro tampoco voy a mentir, siempre le voy a cualquier Mexicano si va contra un Boricua. Pero en realidad hasta el momento no le encuentro una rivalidad porque ya no hay con quien, y se lo digo con todo respeto a mis hermanos Boricuas, Puerto Rico ultimamente a estado muy estancado , ojala que se levanten porque el 2012 fue uno de los peores momentos para el box . atte el Mini 6

Cuauhtémoc1520
01-10-2013, 09:06 AM
La verdad en mi opinion me da igual , claro tampoco voy a mentir, siempre le voy a cualquier Mexicano si va contra un Boricua. Pero en realidad hasta el momento no le encuentro una rivalidad porque ya no hay con quien, y se lo digo con todo respeto a mis hermanos Boricuas, Puerto Rico ultimamente a estado muy estancado , ojala que se levanten porque el 2012 fue uno de los peores momentos para el box . atte el Mini 6

Si fue un año malo para los Boricuas pero la verdad es que siempre van a ver buenos peladores Puerto Riqueños. La rivalidad es buena.

jtcs1981
01-10-2013, 11:39 AM

2012, yo diria que en los ultimos 5 años no hay nada consistente saliendo de la isla. De los gemelos Velazquez, Carlos casi no pelea por problemas que son ajenos a mi conocimiento. Y ese chamaco tiene mucho talento. Alex De Jesus, buen prospecto, pero esta preso por violencia domestica y nunca tendra el apoyo de la gente aqui. Los gemelos Arroyo los vienen trayendo poco a poco pero PR Best Boxing no esta haciendoles favores con la porqueria de competencia que le pone. Los otros prospectos, los que tiene Dibella y Shaw, los llevaron muy rapido contra peleadores de mas experiencia y no les buscan mas actividad al año. Hasta el 2015 no veo alguna estrella de box saliendo de PR y van a ser varios años sin emocion en la isla.

Ant Dgk
01-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Si fue un año malo para los Boricuas pero la verdad es que siempre van a ver buenos peladores Puerto Riqueños. La rivalidad es buena.

Eso que ni que Cuah , espero que se levanten porque si tienen gran corazon y tambien tienen mucho orgullo como igual que los Mexicanos. La rivalidad sin duda siempre es buena y eleva el status del deporte muy arriba. Espero que si se levante porque como hemos visto tienen bastante talento, no se en realidad que es lo que pasa ultimamente pero como cada pais en su momento trascursan por un momento malo. Espero que pronto se levanten porque de que hay talento lo hay indiscutiblemente.

Ant Dgk
01-10-2013, 06:44 PM
2012, yo diria que en los ultimos 5 años no hay nada consistente saliendo de la isla. De los gemelos Velazquez, Carlos casi no pelea por problemas que son ajenos a mi conocimiento. Y ese chamaco tiene mucho talento. Alex De Jesus, buen prospecto, pero esta preso por violencia domestica y nunca tendra el apoyo de la gente aqui. Los gemelos Arroyo los vienen trayendo poco a poco pero PR Best Boxing no esta haciendoles favores con la porqueria de competencia que le pone. Los otros prospectos, los que tiene Dibella y Shaw, los llevaron muy rapido contra peleadores de mas experiencia y no les buscan mas actividad al año. Hasta el 2015 no veo alguna estrella de box saliendo de PR y van a ser varios años sin emocion en la isla.

Tienes mucha razon amigo en 5 años no tengo duda que se levante bastante el boxeo en Puerto Rico ,Tiene que surgir algo bueno de los buenos prospectos que vienen poco a poco , Veo como que no hay el apoyo hacia sus peleadores en la actualidad, por equis razon pienso que le estan haciendo el camino muy complicado a sus grandes prospectos.Tiene que ver promotoras de boxeo con ganas de mover a estos jovenes pero sobretodo no echarlos a la boca del leon rapidamente. Obviamente el sistema diferencea a base de Mexico pero no es para mal ni para bien, tiene sus buenas caracteristicas tambien de llevarlos despacio y que tomen esa experiencia de amateur , Yo en varias ocasiones eh corrido la suerte de ver a los gemelos Arroyo y si parece que traen bastante y tienen con que para darle a Puerto Rico buenos momentos y poner a la Isla una vez mas en el mapa como sus buenos boxeadores y su historia en el box.