View Full Version : foreman vs. holmes. who wins?

Dempsey 1919
12-25-2005, 10:08 PM
who wins in their prime?

???
12-25-2005, 11:55 PM
who wins in their prime?

Foreman by ko.

Verstyle
12-26-2005, 12:33 AM
larry fought sorta like ali but had more power then ali. so imagine a steroided ali against foreman maaaan!!!!

M26
12-26-2005, 07:15 AM
George Foreman was powerful enough to knock out anybody and I can envision him stopping Larry Holmes as well. And I would surely be cheering for Foreman.

But Holmes was very skilled, had tons of heart, great stamina and a cast iron chin. This forces me to believe that Holmes would be victorious. I believe that because of his chin and great defensive skills, he would weather the early storm and come back to outbox the rapidly fading Foreman.

Larry Holmes by UD.

LondonRingRules
12-26-2005, 11:42 AM
They were scheduled to meet in 76 but Larry got hurt against Williams so Foreman met Ledoux instead. George would have KOed him back then. George beat better comp than Larry could ever think of and has more KOs than Larry has career victories.

M26
12-26-2005, 01:48 PM
They were scheduled to meet in 76 but Larry got hurt against Williams so Foreman met Ledoux instead. George would have KOed him back then. George beat better comp than Larry could ever think of and has more KOs than Larry has career victories.

The 1973-74 version of Foreman would have a chance, but I don't think the 1976 version would have beaten Holmes. He was too passive and did not have the heart for boxing at this point.

supaduck
12-26-2005, 05:07 PM
Foreman would KO him. If he could KO Joe Frazier he could KO Holmes

hellfire508
12-26-2005, 08:56 PM
It can be argued both ways:

Holmes is a more powerful version of Ali, thus he would beat Foreman.

OR

Foreman is a much better version of Shavers, thus Foreman could finish of Holmes.

supaduck
12-27-2005, 04:42 AM
Holmes isn't a more powerful version of Ali. He is more powerful, but he isn't as good a boxer.

Also, Foreman fought Ali stupidly. He could have won if he tried a different strategy.

Dempsey 1919
12-27-2005, 04:19 PM
Holmes isn't a more powerful version of Ali. He is more powerful, but he isn't as good a boxer.

Also, Foreman fought Ali stupidly. He could have won if he tried a different stradegy.

yeah, what strategy? thats the only strategy he had, just go for the ko. he was doomed to lose to the louisville lip!

Brassangel
12-27-2005, 04:29 PM
Styles make fights, and the Speedy Dancer has a great match-up against the Mummy. If a beyond-his-years Ali could embarass George Foreman, a prime Holmes would have had a similar result. Holmes was light on his feet, perhaps not as graceful as a 60's Ali, but certainly more so than a 70's Ali, and he could hit pretty well. Larry Holmes had toughness, heart, and a tough chin & midsection. I pick Larry Holmes in round 9-10.

On a side note, stating that Foreman fought Ali stupidly doesn't make up for the fact that....Foreman fought Ali stupidly. Foreman got beat by style.

Dempsey 1919
12-27-2005, 04:33 PM
foreman fought ali the same way he fought everybody else, only ali was too smart for him.

Brassangel
12-27-2005, 04:46 PM
butterfly1964 foreman fought ali the same way he fought everybody else, only ali was too smart for him.

Exactly. What I'm saying is that Foreman's style wasn't adaptable; it's major weakness was a cunning, quick punching, dancer. Ali didn't even have much juice left in his legs in 1974 and he still beat Foreman soundly. Ali only danced for the first two-and-a-half rounds, at most, but it was enough to tire Foreman out a little.

supaduck
12-28-2005, 07:54 AM
Fair enough, but I still think Foreman would KO Holmes. A more interesting poll would be a "who is the better boxer overall" poll.

VERSION1 (V1)
12-28-2005, 04:16 PM
larry fought sorta like ali but had more power then ali. so imagine a steroided ali against foreman maaaan!!!!
lol i think it be holmens 3 ko

Dazzaman
12-29-2005, 01:06 AM
Foreman could knock out anybody, but,... Holmes was an excellent boxer. Could of gone either way. I pick Holmes with a late round KO.

Dazzaman
12-29-2005, 03:29 AM
Larry was one of the most underrated heavyweight champs, definitely a top tenner in my view. George, well, for all that power and unrealised potential he did ok, not top ten though.

LondonRingRules
12-29-2005, 04:28 AM
Like I pointed out, Larry is overrated because he failed to meet the best comp of his era. He did redeem himself somewhat by fighting until he was 50 or so, but he was no longer a main event fighter like George still was.

Best prime heavies Larry beat are Cooney and Shavers and Larry also won a close controversial split decision over a past prime Norton.

Foreman beat a prime Frazier, Norton, and Moorer, being the first to ever beat Frazier and Moorer. Since Moorer will likely be in the HOF, that's 3 prime HOFers for George and none for Holmes.

Larry is tough and could cause some problems, but I don't see him taking the pounding that Ali did. Larry just never showed he could beat a prime heavy of George's caliber.

Dempsey 1919
01-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Like I pointed out, Larry is overrated because he failed to meet the best comp of his era. He did redeem himself somewhat by fighting until he was 50 or so, but he was no longer a main event fighter like George still was.

Best prime heavies Larry beat are Cooney and Shavers and Larry also won a close controversial split decision over a past prime Norton.

Foreman beat a prime Frazier, Norton, and Moorer, being the first to ever beat Frazier and Moorer. Since Moorer will likely be in the HOF, that's 3 prime HOFers for George and none for Holmes.

Larry is tough and could cause some problems, but I don't see him taking the pounding that Ali did. Larry just never showed he could beat a prime heavy of George's caliber.

moorer is not a hall of fame hw, maybe light hw or cruiserweight. he wasn't that good at hw. also just because holmes didn't beat better competition than foreman doesn't mean he couldn't beat foreman. i don't know what kind of marijuana you're smoking, but holmes is not overrated by a long shot! holmes is probably the most underrated hw in history by most people, caise he ruled in a weak era. but this guy is good and IMO he could have beaten any hw who ever fought except ali and liston.

Southpaw Stinger
01-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Foreman by KO 5

czars_salad
01-08-2006, 08:35 PM
who wins in their prime?
i dont think holme's jab would do more damage than foreman's power shots

Dempsey 1919
01-08-2006, 08:43 PM
i dont think holme's jab would do more damage than foreman's power shots

maybe so, but holmes would outbox foreman.

czars_salad
01-08-2006, 08:45 PM
maybe so, but holmes would outbox foreman.
that would be fun to watch. slugger vs boxer

Yaman
01-08-2006, 08:53 PM
Good thought.
Foreman had less stamina but a lot more power. Holmes had more stamina and was quicker on his feet. He was also a better boxer. But i don't see him do the same thing what Ali did to Foreman. Holmes was a big guy himself so it wouldn't be that hard for brother George to Ko him. Tyson knocked Holmes down a few times. I wouldn't see why Foreman wouldn't knock him down or out.

I say Foreman by TKO in the 4th.

LondonRingRules
01-08-2006, 09:16 PM
moorer is not a hall of fame hw, maybe light hw or cruiserweight. he wasn't that good at hw. also just because holmes didn't beat better competition than foreman doesn't mean he couldn't beat foreman. i don't know what kind of marijuana you're smoking, but holmes is not overrated by a long shot! holmes is probably the most underrated hw in history by most people, caise he ruled in a weak era. but this guy is good and IMO he could have beaten any hw who ever fought except ali and liston.
Kid, it real easy, boxing 101.

Best fighters Holmes beat: Cooney, Norton, Shavers

Best fighters Holmes failed to meet in his "weak" era: Frazier, Foreman, Tubbs, Page, Coetzee, Thomas, Dokes, Tucker, Tate, plus he failed to give inexperienced Williams and Witherspoon rematches or the past prime Norton his rematch in a split decision loss.

Now if Holmes had made half those bouts nobody would say he fought in a weak era. Holmes deliberately fought the weakest fighters in a good era, bottomline. George is above him in both his first and 2nd career. I will have to admit Holmes was the better fighter whilst George was retired!

Dempsey 1919
01-08-2006, 10:49 PM
Kid, it real easy, boxing 101.

Best fighters Holmes beat: Cooney, Norton, Shavers

Best fighters Holmes failed to meet in his "weak" era: Frazier, Foreman, Tubbs, Page, Coetzee, Thomas, Dokes, Tucker, Tate, plus he failed to give inexperienced Williams and Witherspoon rematches or the past prime Norton his rematch in a split decision loss.

Now if Holmes had made half those bouts nobody would say he fought in a weak era. Holmes deliberately fought the weakest fighters in a good era, bottomline. George is above him in both his first and 2nd career. I will have to admit Holmes was the better fighter whilst George was retired!

frazier was on his way out by the time holmes rose to prominence.

LondonRingRules
01-09-2006, 03:18 AM
frazier was on his way out by the time holmes rose to prominence.
Nope, George caught the undefeated Frazier and won the title. George and Larry are the same age and George caught up with Joe 2x, and Larry? ---------0.0000000x

Boxclever
01-09-2006, 05:38 AM
Foreman no problems

Dempsey 1919
01-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Nope, George caught the undefeated Frazier and won the title. George and Larry are the same age and George caught up with Joe 2x, and Larry? ---------0.0000000x

foreman was up and coming long before holmes was. holmes was highly recognized probably in like '76. by that time frazier was on his way out, so don't bring that age BS cause it holds no bearing here.

Yogi
01-12-2006, 06:02 PM
Or it can be argued that whoever chooses to argue it like that is a dumb idiot who doesn't know anything about boxing whatsoever.

How old are you, Jazz?

Your profile does say that you are 33 years of age. But then again, the posts I've seen of yours represent someone who's still in the early puberty stages of life.

So what is it...

Are you actually a young teenager, who thinks he's a big man because he can type a few derogatory words on the keyboard?

Or is the date of birth in your profile accurate, and you are in fact a "REALLY REALLY REALLY" immature 33 year-old?

Yogi
01-12-2006, 07:17 PM
^840 posts... look buddy, you seriously need a hobby... get of the computer... find some friends.. hell mabey you can even find a girlfriend...

Me = 1.49 posts/day

You = 11.90 posts/day

You were saying?

Brassangel
01-13-2006, 12:53 AM
Wow, that was a load of stupid.

Anyway, Holmes was a better boxer than Foreman. There's a lot more to it than stating who they faced. George Foreman's mummy style was always going to be weak against someone who could move swiftly. Holmes had the privelage of being Ali's sparring partner for a number of years and you're going to talk about who they faced?! Just being able to clobber people doesn't guarantee a win (see: Mike Tyson's wasted career). Holmes would wear out Foreman's body and his heart. Plus, if an old Ali could do it in 8....

Dempsey 1919
01-13-2006, 01:45 AM
Wow, that was a load of stupid.

Anyway, Holmes was a better boxer than Foreman. There's a lot more to it than stating who they faced. George Foreman's mummy style was always going to be weak against someone who could move swiftly. Holmes had the privelage of being Ali's sparring partner for a number of years and you're going to talk about who they faced?! Just being able to clobber people doesn't guarantee a win (see: Mike Tyson's wasted career). Holmes would wear out Foreman's body and his heart. Plus, if an old Ali could do it in 8....

good point. young holmes is better than old ali, so holmes would have an easier time with foreman than ali did in '74.

Dynamite76
01-13-2006, 11:18 AM
Foreman, probably by late round stoppage.But Larry would have his moments.

SonnyG8R
01-13-2006, 11:34 AM
If you could place a 45 year old Foreman's brain in the 25 year old Foreman's head, you'd have tyhe greatest boxer ever.

That being said I just don't think Holmes would weather the Foreman storm. Foreman ko 5. If it went past the 7 I think Holmes wins.

Dempsey 1919
01-13-2006, 11:54 AM
If you could place a 45 year old Foreman's brain in the 25 year old Foreman's head, you'd have tyhe greatest boxer ever.

That being said I just don't think Holmes would weather the Foreman storm. Foreman ko 5. If it went past the 7 I think Holmes wins.

actually, if you place a 32 yr. old ali's brain, in a 25yr. old ali's body you would have the best fighter ever!