View Full Version : johnson vs. holyfield

Dempsey 1919
12-21-2005, 09:47 PM
who wins? the galveston giant or the real deal?

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/Images/johnsonchi1b.jpg vs. http://www.scandinavian-boxing-rankings.dk/international-records/pictures/evander-holyfield.jpg

fistlegend
12-22-2005, 05:31 AM
jack johnson

Da Iceman
12-22-2005, 12:44 PM
real deal owns johnson

Keleneki
12-22-2005, 01:09 PM
Evander Holyfield, but that's because he has the advantages of all the advances in training and the evolution in boxing styles and what not. If Jack Johnson were to have access to all the modern day training techniques, diet, ... who's to say though. ;)

M26
12-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Jack Johnson was a marvelous defensive boxer and I can easily imagine him giving Evander Holyfield a solid lesson.

Holy was fast, but not fast enough to get through Johnsons defense. Further, Holy didn't carry a big enough punch to knock Johnson out cold,and he was not the better boxer of the two.

My heart tells me Johnson wins this one.

Jack Johnson by UD.

LondonRingRules
12-22-2005, 05:32 PM
Let's put it this way. Johnson never beat a prime heavy of the class of Holy, and additionally, Johnson never beat the quality of comp that Holy beat. Stylistically it's a boring fight, most Johnson fights were, but Holy is bigger, stronger, and bulls Johnson around the ring, winging shots that he never had to face. Holy by 10th round KO.

Southpaw Stinger
12-22-2005, 06:16 PM
This is a tough one to score. I might just give the edge to Johnson.

blockhead
12-23-2005, 07:27 AM
Evander Holyfield, but that's because he has the advantages of all the advances in training and the evolution in boxing styles and what not. If Jack Johnson were to have access to all the modern day training techniques, diet, ... who's to say though. ;)
ding ding ding. this is the only answer needed on this thread. holyfield owns johnson because of this. to say otherwise is misinformed.

j
12-23-2005, 11:47 PM
what type of gloves are we talking? back in jack's day the gloves were like mittons.

hell, even with the big gloves, jack owns holyfield.

dansweeney
12-23-2005, 11:58 PM
Without a doubt prime Evander beats him up and stops his ass.

Dempsey 1919
12-24-2005, 01:12 AM
johnson would win by a ud, or late stoppage. he was a defensive marvel and had great punching power for his size. besides, holyfield was blown-up anyway.

Dempsey 1919
03-04-2007, 01:52 AM
bump......

Yaman
03-04-2007, 06:18 PM
bump......

How about bumping all of my threads? i had some good ones back in the day.

Kid Achilles
03-04-2007, 07:33 PM
Close fight. Johnson was a harder puncher, was quicker IMO, and was pretty close to Holyfield in terms of strength too. What Holyfield has working for him is his workrate, superior chin, and more strength than the guys Johnson was used to dealing with.

I'll go with what I usually say in these fights: Holyfield via close decision if this goes down under modern rules and Johnson by decision or even late stoppage using his rules. I think Johnson is the superior fighter, but Holyfield has strength, heart and chin in abundance.

brownpimp88
03-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Jack Johnson lost to the most talentless heavyweight champ ever. Leon Spinks may look bad on paper, but trust me, jess willard is by far the worst champ in the history of the sport. The fact that this joke is in the hall of fame, just makes the entire rep of the HOF a joke too.

Kid Achilles
03-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Jess Willard shouldn't be in the hall of fame, I agree, but he would crush Leon Spinks and he was better than Carnera. One of the worst champions, sure, but he was not THE worst. Few other big men in history had that combination of chin and stamina. It goes a long way, especially in 20+ round fights.

brownpimp88
03-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Nope, leon spinks would beat him. He had something called skills, even though it was short lived. Jess willard was always a nothing, crude grizzly bear.

ceboxer15
03-04-2007, 09:20 PM
who wins? the galveston giant or the real deal?

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/Images/johnsonchi1b.jpg vs. http://www.scandinavian-boxing-rankings.dk/international-records/pictures/evander-holyfield.jpg

close fight, I have to say Johnson sould win this one, Holyfield would give Johnson some trouble though.

Kid Achilles
03-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Skills alone don't win fights Brownpimp. Willard had passable skill but he was bigger, much stronger, and had a vastly superior chin. He had decent coordination and was pretty good on his feet for a giant, something that has been forgotten. These factors far outweigh the edge in skill Spinks had. If skill alone won fights, Mayweather would be able to completely embarrass a guy like Jermain Taylor.

Dempsey 1919
03-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Skills alone don't win fights Brownpimp. Willard had passable skill but he was bigger, much stronger, and had a vastly superior chin. He had decent coordination and was pretty good on his feet for a giant, something that has been forgotten. These factors far outweigh the edge in skill Spinks had. If skill alone won fights, Mayweather would be able to completely embarrass a guy like Jermain Taylor.

:fing02:...

brownpimp88
03-04-2007, 11:21 PM
Leon is better, he was faster and he was technically sound, i could imagine him outclassing willard. jess willard was nothing but a club goof that was chosen to beat up a vastly overrated heavyweight champ. Jack Johnson looked great clinching middleweights and smiling on camera, but when he fought real heavyweights like willard, he got ktfo. Leon spinks would win when jess decides to hide behind the ref and cry. Spinks jinx all the way.

Dempsey 1919
03-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Leon is better, he was faster and he was technically sound, i could imagine him outclassing willard. jess willard was nothing but a club goof that was chosen to beat up a vastly overrated heavyweight champ. Jack Johnson looked great clinching middleweights and smiling on camera, but when he fought real heavyweights like willard, he got ktfo. Leon spinks would win when jess decides to hide behind the ref and cry. Spinks jinx all the way.

Leon is a swarmer so I could imagine Willard tearing into Spinks and knocking him out. Again, Johnson was 37, undertrained, inactive, and had to fight a 45 round fight. Give me one fighter who could do well under those conditions. I'll answer that one for you, nobody!

brownpimp88
03-04-2007, 11:32 PM
Leon is a swarmer so I could imagine Willard tearing into Spinks and knocking him out. Again, Johnson was 37, undertrained, inactive, and had to fight a 45 round fight. Give me one fighter who could do well under those conditions. I'll answer that one for you, nobody!

Whenever a fighter loses, you make excuses. He lost to willard, enough said, deal with it. It would have been different if he did this, if he did that, blah, blah, blah. Jack Johnson got ktfo by a cabdriver with 2 weeks of boxing lessons.

Dempsey 1919
03-04-2007, 11:36 PM
Whenever a fighter loses, you make excuses. He lost to willard, enough said, deal with it. It would have been different if he did this, if he did that, blah, blah, blah. Jack Johnson got ktfo by a cabdriver with 2 weeks of boxing lessons.

If you're boy Larry Holmes had fought him at 37 and inactive in a 45 round fight, he probably would lose too, maybe even by knockout.

Emon723
03-05-2007, 12:44 AM
Jack johnson never fought anyone as big as bowe and lewis, he was a giant in his time, outweighing his opponents by 20-30 pounds, i'd say holyfield beats him by decision.

Dempsey 1919
03-05-2007, 01:03 AM
Jack johnson never fought anyone as big as bowe and lewis, he was a giant in his time, outweighing his opponents by 20-30 pounds, i'd say holyfield beats him by decision.

How is Holy gonna outpoint Johnson? Johnson is faster, more skilled, physically stronger, and is a real heavyweight. Holyfield would get outpointed easily.

Emon723
03-05-2007, 05:47 AM
How is Holy gonna outpoint Johnson? Johnson is faster, more skilled, physically stronger, and is a real heavyweight. Holyfield would get outpointed easily.

Jack Johnson is trained to throw one punch at a time, as mike tyson would put it, he may not be competitive in today's standards were boxers are trained to throw combinations and variety of punches.

BrooklynBomber
03-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Holy and without much of a problem. People should seriously check themselves if they think Johnson's style is any good against Holy's.

Kid Achilles
03-05-2007, 10:46 AM
Johnson threw combinations, just not as many as modern fighters. You take Holyfield and have him throw combinations as he's used to and there's no way he makes it 20 or more rounds. You need to pace yourself for that length of a fight, especially if you're a heavyweight.

Johnson also had an economical style where he did as little as he had to and made the opponent work. It wasn't that he couldn't throw a ****load of punches, he just chose not too.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uvAV_fuUE38"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uvAV_fuUE38" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Check out his fight with Frank Moran, a 6'1" 200 lb very physically strong and hard hitting heavyweight. This guy wings some hard shots at him but Johnson is poised and alert and ready for it all. He doesn't throw much because he's like a matador: stationary and seemingly there to be hit, but in actuallity, ready at all times to take advance of any mistakes the opponent makes.

Check out his strength in the clinches. More and more often gets the better of it in there as the fight goes on. It's apparent he has only a small strength advantage early on but by the end of the fight he's pushing Moran around like nothing. Impressive muscular endurance.

I don't mind the people who have Holyfield winning, but to say he blows Johnson away is ridiculous. Johnson was born for this sport, he had the perfect combination of learned ringsmarts and natural instincts.

Dempsey 1919
03-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Jack Johnson is trained to throw one punch at a time, as mike tyson would put it, he may not be competitive in today's standards were boxers are trained to throw combinations and variety of punches.

What an idiot.

Dempsey 1919
03-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Johnson threw combinations, just not as many as modern fighters. You take Holyfield and have him throw combinations as he's used to and there's no way he makes it 20 or more rounds. You need to pace yourself for that length of a fight, especially if you're a heavyweight.

Johnson also had an economical style where he did as little as he had to and made the opponent work. It wasn't that he couldn't throw a ****load of punches, he just chose not too.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uvAV_fuUE38"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uvAV_fuUE38" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Check out his fight with Frank Moran, a 6'1" 200 lb very physically strong and hard hitting heavyweight. This guy wings some hard shots at him but Johnson is poised and alert and ready for it all. He doesn't throw much because he's like a matador: stationary and seemingly there to be hit, but in actuallity, ready at all times to take advance of any mistakes the opponent makes.

Check out his strength in the clinches. More and more often gets the better of it in there as the fight goes on. It's apparent he has only a small strength advantage early on but by the end of the fight he's pushing Moran around like nothing. Impressive muscular endurance.

I don't mind the people who have Holyfield winning, but to say he blows Johnson away is ridiculous. Johnson was born for this sport, he had the perfect combination of learned ringsmarts and natural instincts.

:fing02:...