No announcement yet.

More questions about linear title.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More questions about linear title.

So, someone becomes linear champion by becoming undisputed champion. But how does one become undisputed champion?

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
    So, someone becomes linear champion by becoming undisputed champion. But how does one become undisputed champion?
    Your premise is off. A fighter is not necessarily the lineal champion by virtue of becoming "undisputed" champion.

Comment

Sbleeder is correct.

Now, a champion is usually called the 'undisputed champion' these days if he holds the WBC WBA IBF & WBO belts at the same time. These are the big four governing bodies. There are other world belts such as the IBO, WBF and WBU.......but a champion need not hold any of these to be considered 'undisputed'.

As for linear champ. This is reserved for the man who beat the man who beat the man. Problems arise when a champion retires, because the line starts afresh!!!

Comment

How do you know the man in lineal?

Comment

Often it's The Ring Champion, but other times you just have to follow history.

Comment

Lineal Champion is the guy who got the title from the guy who got the title who......got the title from the original first champion in boxing history in that weight class.
            example: At the beginning there were no organizations, only one championship: lets say Marciano was Heavyweight champion. so you have to beat marciano to become the next lineal heavyweight champion. lets say a guy named "boxer1" beats marciano and becomes the lineal HW champion. now lets imagine at the same time a new organization named WBA is founded and "boxer2" and "boxer3" fight for the first WBA title in HW boxing history. lets imagine "boxer2" beats "boxer3". So boxer2 is now WBA heavyweight champion, but he is NOT the lineal HW champion cause the lineal champion is still "boxer1" cause he took the lineal title from rocky marciano.
            it becomes more complicated if a champion retires while holding the lineal title or if he moves up in a weight class. then the lineal title will go to the next "best" guy in the division (universally recognised as the best by e.g. media, ring magazine)

undisputed champion is if you unify WBO, WBC, IBF and WBA titles of a weight class, but usually a champ is called "undisputed" if he has only 3 of those 4 titles.
            Last edited by Salardo; 10-12-2012, 10:56 AM.

Comment

thats a tough question to find out who the lineal champion is. I guess ring magazine knows it. I dont really care who the lineal champ is cause its not important. its more important who "the man" in a division is and then it doesnt matter if some other guy is the lineal champ.
              for example: I dont know if Canelo is the lineal champ at light middleweight. he might be, but I dont know and I dont care. he is not the REAL champ at 154. Erislandy Lara doesnt have a belt at 154 even though he fought the best opposition right now in that weight class. So Lara is ten times more champ than Canelo ever was or will be.
              so it doesnt mean anything who the lineal champ is nowadays with all that corruption.

Comment

Working...
              X