View Full Version : Greatest knockouts.

???
12-16-2005, 08:38 PM
Tell me your greatest knockout monent.

The Noose
12-16-2005, 08:46 PM
Hearns KO Duran.

First boxing memory when i was about 4 or 5 years old. My dad must have watched the replay 10 times.

And holy ****ing ****...wat a punch.

Brassangel
12-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Tyson vs. Johnson

The poor guy (Johnson) goes down once from a body shot. The referee asks him if he's okay, and reluctantly he replies, "..yes." You could read it all over his face. He wasn't thinking, "yes," he was thinking, "I have to deal with punches like that for another 7 rounds?! Aw nuts!"

Tyson then proceeded to deliver a right cross that broke Johnson's jaw before he even got his gloves back up.

Skydog
12-17-2005, 12:42 AM
In terms of brutality, the two above mentioned, or Foreman vs. Roman.

In terms of beauty, Louis-Schmeling II (the last one), Ali-Williams (the five punch one that looks perfect), or Walcott-Charles.

Frazier's knockdown on Ali or Robinson's knockdown on Fullmer are the closest things to perfection.

Skydog
12-17-2005, 12:50 AM
Ah, and of course, in terms of brutality, Marciano-Walcott I.

osamabinwayne
12-17-2005, 03:06 AM
Jack Dempseys destruction of Jess Willard. And no I don't think Dempsey used plaster of paris in his gloves. Those would surely break his hands.

whdempsey
12-17-2005, 06:33 AM
Ah, and of course, in terms of brutality, Marciano-Walcott I.
Ever seen Dempsey knocking out Jess Willard? That's some brutal ****. He should have been counted out in the first round.

Edit: I didn't notice the dude who beat me to it.

Gavilan1
12-17-2005, 11:32 PM
Dempsey's KO of Willard in 3. Definetly one of the most brutal fight of all time. Dempsey was a savage beast in the ring.

Skydog
12-18-2005, 12:40 AM
Willard's face after the fight is the worst thing I've ever seen. Not to mention his 3 broken ribs.

j
12-18-2005, 04:09 AM
the tyson/johnson fight ain't **** compared with the beating willard took against dempsey. and take a look at jack johnson's ko of stanley ketchel. not only was ketchel unconscious before hitting the ground, he had all of his front teeth broken off at the roots and imbedded in jack's glove. f'ing brutal.

now, if you're talking great fights that ended in ko's, one that comes to mind is marciano/walcott were walcott floored rocky early and was fairly comfortably ahead on the cards going into the 13th round - only had 2 rounds left to seal up the victory - then marciano blasts my man joe with a well placed shot that ended with walcott draped in a corner completely out of it.

ebo elder vs courtney burton was a classic newer fight that was a tossup untill that ****er ebo caught burton a few times in the 12th round to end it.

also have to give hommage to that double knockdown fight that was on showtime i believe. the whole fight lasted something like a total of 20-some seconds.

buellster
12-19-2005, 10:33 AM
Has to be Mike Weaver cold-****ing Big John Tate. What a punch!

Reezy
12-19-2005, 11:48 AM
tyson vs johnson

Dempsey 1919
12-19-2005, 02:37 PM
what about patterson-johannson II?

leff
12-19-2005, 02:48 PM
marciano-walcot 1

walcot looked like he had been shot

everlast99
12-19-2005, 05:04 PM
julian jackson - herol graham

Brassangel
12-21-2005, 03:14 PM
No, the plaster really happened, and it didn't break his hands. Fortunately for Dempsey, it didn't take nearly as much force to demolish a set of bones as it would have otherwise. His own hands were swollen and bruised, but not broken. It's a similar effect to brass-knuckles. This is probably a testament to just how tough Dempsey really was.

The Marciano-Walcott match is definitely brutal.

I almost forgot about Johnson getting that guy's teeth on his glove. A mouthguard might have helped!

The reason I put Tyson vs. Johnson on there was because we're just discussing greatest knockouts, not the most brutal ones. Tyson's flatlining of MJ is on most "Greatest Knockouts" DVD's. A lot of Tyson's brutal KO's were generally so fast that you couldn't see the force behind the punch until they did a slow-mo recap. Still, his weren't always the best.

One of the most exhausting knockouts to watch is Ali vs. Wepner. That fat old guy took a complete beating for 15 rounds and finally, after another perfect Ali combo in the last round, he went down. Wepner had never been knocked out in his career until that fight in 1975.

Dempsey 1919
12-23-2005, 01:32 PM
also louis-walcott II was nice.

Skydog
12-23-2005, 03:23 PM
For Louis's best knockout, I gotta go with Paycheck. Two jabs and a HUGE overhand right that cathces Paycheck on the top of the head and he slowly falls, unconcious.

Also another great Louis one is Nathan Mann, Mann throws a right and puts all his weight forward, Louis unleashes an uppercut that nearly takes his head, then topples Mann over with a short, compact left hook.

Yogi
12-23-2005, 03:42 PM
No, the plaster really happened

Sorry, but that theory of Dempsey using plaster of paris on his hands was laid to rest a long, long time ago (when Cleveland Williams conducted an experiment with it while punching a heavy bag a few times). Even the film evidence that still exists today contradicts Kearns' statement that he put that stuff on Dempsey while they were in the dressing room, because the unedited film shows Jess Willard going over to Dempsey and checking his handwraps just before the fight started...You would think that if Jack had something on his handwraps, Big Jess would've said something right there on the spot, don't you think?

Nah, that was all one big myth that was correlated by a former manager who had a well publicised fall-out with Dempsey, and wanted to get back at him in some way.

bigbill9
12-23-2005, 06:03 PM
Foreman/Frazier....Smokin Joe came off the canvas...monster shot! :boxing:

Da Iceman
12-23-2005, 09:08 PM
also louis-walcott II was nice.
one of the most thrilling ko's ever.

scotty779
01-13-2006, 08:03 PM
has 2 b walcott marciano
dempsey willard was pretty brutal with no neutral corner rule, for willard 2 carry on after that first round was a miracle

Dempsey 1919
01-13-2006, 11:02 PM
the funniest one i've ever seen was jack johnson vs. stanley ketchel. johnson brushing ketchel's teeth after the ko was hilarious! serves ketchel right for trying to do something stupid against the galveston giant. hahahaha!! :D

VERSION1 (V1)
01-19-2006, 05:32 PM
tyson ko of tubbes hearn ko duran tyson ko spinks

Yaman
01-19-2006, 05:40 PM
My favorite knockout of all time was

Tyson's Frazier like left hook that sent Eddie Richardson 5 feet through the ring.

Verstyle
01-19-2006, 05:51 PM
tyson vs.michael jack johnson. soooooooo easy

Yaman
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
tyson vs.michael jack johnson. soooooooo easy

Man that was so brutal. That was the first i ever had a bad feeling about a knock out. It was just not right lol.

Dempsey 1919
01-19-2006, 08:51 PM
i liked the ali-wepner one. that was classic.

Skydog
01-19-2006, 10:11 PM
Yea, Wepner was getting the **** beat out of him the last round.