View Full Version : American athlete under fire for carrying Mexican flag

bigsmoothh
08-10-2012, 09:58 PM
que es lo que piensan sobre este tema?

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/ZOOfPv2dn6X.9_3cnLXmwA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusolyexperts/manzano_flags1.jpeg

A U.S. athlete is under fire by some in the Mexican-American community for carrying a Mexican flag after winning a silver medal in the 1,500 meters.

Leo Manzano, a Mexican immigrant who became the first American man to win a medal in the metric mile since 1968, draped himself in the flags of both his countries after his race at Olympic Stadium. That decision earned some cheers, but mostly jeers from Mexican-Americans.

[ Video: Gold medalist Lopez Lomong on what the red, white and blue mean to him ]

Ruben Navarrette Jr., a CNN contributor and Washington Post Group writer, was among those criticizing the flag choice. Manzano competes for the United States, not Mexico, Navarrette wrote. Why would he carry a flag of the country his parents left when he was 4 years old?

Some people will insist that this is Manzano's choice to make, that it was his sweat and sacrifice that got him to London, and this was his victory to celebrate however he saw fit. Those people are wrong. They're focused on the individual. But the last thing the Olympics is about is the individual.

It's about being part of a team -- the U.S. Olympic team. It's about national pride, not ego. Manzano wasn't there to compete for himself but to represent his country. All he had to do was decide which country that was. He chose not to choose.

What am I missing? Where were the Italian-American athletes waving the Italian flag, or the Irish-Americans waving the Irish flag? I didn't see that.

The last one is the money quote. We all come from somewhere. Not everyone is an immigrant, but every Olympian has roots. But did you see Danell Leyva holding a Cuban flag at his medal ceremony? Or Michael Phelps carrying a Union Jack because he has English blood in his ancestry?

[ Related: Backlash over U.S. soccer team's Nike T-shirts ]

I talked to a friend with a Mexican background and she was vehemently against Manzano's action. "It's fine to be proud of your roots," she said, "but not in this context."

At least Manzano wears the red, white and blue. To me, it's even more offensive when athletes who live, train and hold citizenship here make the choice to compete for other countries because it makes for an easier path to the Olympics. To take one example: Milorad Cavic, the man who nearly beat Michael Phelps in the 100 fly in Beijing, was born and raised in the United States but made the choice early in his life to swim for Serbia where he holds dual citizenship.

A poll on the CBS Atlanta website showed that 83 percent of respondents think Manzano shouldn't have carried the Mexican flag. I believe it's more complicated than a yes or no answer, but can't disagree. Athletes with dual citizenship are naturally going to have competing loyalties and mixed feelings. Yet, when they step to the starting line with a USA on their chest, there should be no confusion.

JRM
08-10-2012, 10:01 PM
well that journalist is always against any Mexicans that bring out a Mexican flag while living in the US so I'm not even going to read it all..

obviously the man has some self-hating, racist issues to deal with. most likely a fat guy.

JRM
08-10-2012, 10:05 PM
btw where was this guy when this happened

http://www.latinorebels.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/723402707.jpeg

bigsmoothh
08-10-2012, 10:20 PM
btw where was this guy when this happened

http://www.latinorebels.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/723402707.jpeg

yeah i also notice how they had the voting toll in cbs atlanta, why not in california or texas? plus i think this was blown out of proportion by the media.

MANIAC310
08-11-2012, 12:45 AM
if I won a medal for the u.s. I would only carry the Mexican flag

Coyotefury
08-11-2012, 02:28 AM
The guy did good, I would carry both flags as well, rep ur roots, culture and heritage. Because any arrogant person can forget who they are, but it takes a real humble and sincere person to remember where you came from.

Side not didn't Oscar de la Hoya step into the ring with both flags in his gold medal fight in the Olympics I thought I read sumthing like that in his book. Anyways y lo mamaron al vato for winning gold lol, I guess ur only allowed to carry both flags when u win gold lol

chiguy91
08-11-2012, 02:45 AM
i could understand why they would get upset, i mean anyone can, right? he signed up to represent the USA in this international competition. then when he wins he basically shows off another flag and it gives the impression that 2 countries won instead of 1, when it should only be 1 country. i'm not sure if he planned it or not, but if he did, maybe that wasn't the best thing to do at these olympics. i mean when it comes to the olympics, it's suppose to be one country against another. all in all, on paper and at the end of the day, it'll be a medal for the US not mexico, so i don't think people should get too mad over this. let him be proud of being from both countries or acknowledging his roots.

Optimistic
08-11-2012, 03:41 AM
I dont see a problem with that at all. The guy is just repping his roots & blood.

Talk about making a big deal out of nothing.

D-MiZe
08-11-2012, 07:29 AM
To me, it's even more offensive when athletes who live, train and hold citizenship here make the choice to compete for other countries because it makes for an easier path to the Olympics. To take one example: Milorad Cavic, the man who nearly beat Michael Phelps in the 100 fly in Beijing, was born and raised in the United States but made the choice early in his life to swim for Serbia where he holds dual citizenship.

Sums it up really.

They're bitter that people who have an affinity for their motherland don't choose to represent USA. I cannot believe people are ' offended ' by the decision of one person, especially in this context.

Who does America think they are?

There are virtually no native US citizens, America is one big melting pot, full of people from various ethnic backgrounds. If I was an Eastern European or South American immigrant living in America, I'd probably represent my roots too.

ELHURACAN58
08-11-2012, 12:18 PM
Jaime Espinal is dumbass, if he wanted to represent Mexico he should have done so in the first place. I hate athletes that think they can represent two countries at once. Especially in the Olympics, where only one country receives a medal.

Kingdelboxeo
08-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Jaime Espinal is dumbass, if he wanted to represent Mexico he should have done so in the first place. I hate athletes that think they can represent two countries at once. Especially in the Olympics, where only one country receives a medal.

And the one getting the medal is the one that he had on while the race! USA. So he got USA the medal but is proud to be Mexican American Wtf is the problem?

Luffy
08-11-2012, 12:47 PM

isnt it the same with puertorica.... oh wait puerto rico is not a country my bad

jtcs1981
08-11-2012, 05:57 PM
The guy is happy he won. He is proud of his heritage. Let him do whatever he wants to.

ELHURACAN58
08-11-2012, 07:19 PM
isnt it the same with puertorica.... oh wait puerto rico is not a country my bad

No its not the same, if you compete for the US dont be carrying the puerto rican flag too, or do you not hear me criticizing guys like Danny Garcia too?

You can be proud of your heritage, but in sports you cant represent two countries, or do you see a Mexican american delegation in the olympics?

jtcs1981
08-12-2012, 04:03 PM

Why is it that if a rican have an opinion on anything you will come back with the PR not being a country or PR not having a champion. Does that bother you or do you think we going to commit suicide when you say it? Dude it is a discussion board, not a let me hate on them cause they dont agree with me. We were progressing in that end in this lounge, lets stop the stupidity.

Luffy
08-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Why is it that if a rican have an opinion on anything you will come back with the PR not being a country or PR not having a champion. Does that bother you or do you think we going to commit suicide when you say it? Dude it is a discussion board, not a let me hate on them cause they dont agree with me. We were progressing in that end in this lounge, lets stop the stupidity.

coming from the guy that pretends to be nonbiased but is as biased as any nuthugger. you do hide it a little better ill give you that

MANIAC310
08-12-2012, 08:36 PM

:lol1: Luffy is getting exposed.

jtcs1981
08-12-2012, 10:23 PM
coming from the guy that pretends to be nonbiased but is as biased as any nuthugger. you do hide it a little better ill give you that

Thats your opinion and that wont change my point of view. I dont hide the love for PR. I dont hide that I'm a Cotto fan. But I dont disrespect fighters or bash them cause of their nationality. You dont see me looking for stupid things about other countries to call them out like you always do. I'm not a child and I dont act like one.

jtcs1981
08-12-2012, 10:28 PM
miguel cotto vs tito

who wins?

Dude there is no if in sports. Fantasy matchups to me make no sense. On boxing ability, Cotto is better than Tito. On stamina and power Tito takes him. I cant see Cotto taking Tito's power. A bigger, stronger and come forward guy can give Cotto a long night and probably hurt him very bad.

Luffy
08-12-2012, 10:49 PM
When have i insulted a country? I certainly dont think that saying pr is not a country is insulting is it?

jtcs1981
08-13-2012, 10:09 AM
When have i insulted a country? I certainly dont think that saying pr is not a country is insulting is it?

Not insulting. I know PR is a colony of the states and I have no problem saying it. However, the motives every time you point that out are to stirr arguments that will end in Mexico owns you and all that bla bla bla that are not necessary. Which is stupid considering that latinos back up latinos every chance they have and will root for a latino before cheering for others. Pero alla tu y lo que te sea mas inteligente.

El.Naranjito707
08-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Hey hey made it that far and he still showed pride for Mexico. I got no problem with it. Nunca te olvides de donde vienes.

DeadLikeMe
08-13-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm surprised I hadn't heard about this. No problem with it at all. Anyone in America should understand the close ties between Mexico and America. Nothing wrong with being proud of your heritage.

D-MiZe
08-13-2012, 01:54 PM
You Ricans need some pride.

figzuki
08-13-2012, 02:17 PM
You Ricans need some pride.

I think thats the reasoning behind everybody's **** talking...

It's cuz we have TOO much pride.

D-MiZe
08-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Well I hope you guys get your independence from the American cunts.

Puerto Ricans became U.S. citizens in 1917, and the United States Congress legislates many aspects of Puerto Rican life. However, the islanders may not vote in U.S. presidential elections.

Amazed.

MEXGBP
08-13-2012, 02:33 PM
leonel manzano is such a badassssssssss, he is my idol, we have the same background, I used to run the 1500 meter in track too, I think we even look the same when we run.

click the link to watch the olympic 1500 meter race, set in time 2h:28 minutes manzano is the shortest of the field
http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/track-and-field/main-feed-aug-7-evening-session-finals-437219.html

jtcs1981
08-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Well I hope you guys get your independence from the American cunts.

Amazed.

I hope you are being honest with the bold and not a cunt.

Luffy
08-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Not insulting. I know PR is a colony of the states and I have no problem saying it. However, the motives every time you point that out are to stirr arguments that will end in Mexico owns you and all that bla bla bla that are not necessary. Which is stupid considering that latinos back up latinos every chance they have and will root for a latino before cheering for others. Pero alla tu y lo que te sea mas inteligente.

the reason i said it was to take a little jab at huracan because he always talks about mexicans. i never intended to turn it into mexico owns puerto rico and its true i would root for a rican if they were fighting a non mexican like how i was rooting for cotto over floyd even though i knew it probably wouldnt happen

Luffy
08-13-2012, 04:01 PM
leonel manzano is such a badassssssssss, he is my idol, we have the same background, I used to run the 1500 meter in track too, I think we even look the same when we run.

click the link to watch the olympic 1500 meter race, set in time 2h:28 minutes manzano is the shortest of the field
http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/track-and-field/main-feed-aug-7-evening-session-finals-437219.html

my favorite long distance runner of all time is ichim al gorouj from morocco his story is just amazing in 1996 he was in first place about to finish and he got passed at the last second in 2000 he was in first place about to win and he trips and falls a couple of feet from the finish line and then in 2004 in athens of all places he takes both the 5 thousand and 10 thousand and at the end of the 10 when he realizes he won two gold medals he looks at his coach and holds up two fingers