View Full Version : Mexico vs Cuba Rivalry

Mars Volta
05-19-2012, 04:03 AM
should that be the new Rivalry? now that PR boxing is basically dead?

Cuba has been owning us so far too...... with the exception of Molina vs Lara robbery

el.azteca
05-19-2012, 04:07 AM

Cuba has been owning us so far too...... with the exception of Molina vs Lara robbery

Really who have they been owning? And naw i think the pr rivalry is dead but the new one should be against the pinoys

Mars Volta
05-19-2012, 04:12 AM
Really who have they been owning? And naw i think the pr rivalry is dead but the new one should be against the pinoys

gamboa beat up solis,siri, and ponce although the ponce fight ended weird

abril owning rios.....also a lot of cubans are saying lara will beat up canelo etc

and i Never understood the rivalry with Phillipines i mean they only got Pac Man who might be on the juice....from featherweight all the way up to heavyweight they only got 1 champ/contender and it's pac....

chiguy91
05-19-2012, 04:12 AM

there's potential big fights out there:

rigondeaux/mares

alvarez/lara

gamboa/garcia

abril/demarco

even solis/arreola

there's also young guys like angelo santana, alexei collado, and rances barthelemy.

chiguy91
05-19-2012, 04:15 AM
gamboa beat up solis,siri, and ponce although the ponce fight ended weird

abril owning rios.....also a lot of cubans are saying lara will beat up canelo etc

and i Never understood the rivalry with Phillipines i mean they only got Pac Man who might be on the juice....from featherweight all the way up to heavyweight they only got 1 champ/contender and it's pac....

nonito donaire and brian viloria. viloria's last 3 victims were mexicans. poor giovani, poor giovani......

Mars Volta
05-19-2012, 04:18 AM
nonito donaire and brian viloria. viloria's last 3 victims were mexicans. poor giovani, poor giovani......

yeah and both got owned by Mexicans too and are trained by them as well.......

not to mention those two fighters fight at those midget weights that i'm not too fond of

el.azteca
05-19-2012, 04:20 AM

Thery have fought multiple times. Viloria got owned by two mexicans and owned mexicans ass well. Also the up and comers. And donire. Also nietes has fought multiple mexicans. De leon vs bautista was hyped up too. Thats becoming a hot rivalry. Cubans only have about 5 fighters and thats it

Mars Volta
05-19-2012, 04:24 AM
Thery have fought multiple times. Viloria got owned by two mexicans and owned mexicans ass well. Also the up and comers. And donire. Also nietes has fought multiple mexicans. De leon vs bautista was hyped up too. Thats becoming a hot rivalry. Cubans only have about 5 fighters and thats it

and IMO they are by far greater gamboa,rigondaux are two of my favs to watch

MalikKnucklez
05-19-2012, 04:30 AM
there's potential big fights out there:

rigondeaux/mares
alvarez/lara
gamboa/garcia
abril/demarco
even solis/arreola

there's also young guys like angelo santana, alexei collado, and rances barthelemy.

word, with the exception of Abril/Demarco, these are all match-ups that I would like to see....I'd like to see the "Irish" Cubans, Alexei Collado and Luis Garcia n em begin to start making the transition to the states as well...I see them both quakin' s**t in the next few years...

chiguy91
05-19-2012, 04:32 AM
yeah and both got owned by Mexicans too and are trained by them as well.......

yeah but he is currently a world champ. he rematched romero who beat him twice and stopped him. it's kind of like pacquiao/morales. morales beat him the first time but pac came back and stopped him twice after. pac had the last say in that trilogy.

not to mention those two fighters fight at those midget weights that i'm not too fond of

it's still boxing though man. one of mexico's greatest, ricardo 'el finito' lopez was minimumweight champ most of his career.

yeah but all those cuban fighters are good. there's plenty of filipino fighters that come over here to the us or mexico and get their ass kicked by decent mexicans. thing is though, there's only a limited amount of filipino names in boxing right now. the ones that are known, viloria, donaire, and pacquiao are all winning now. well expect pacquiao, but it says he's 'winning' on paper.

Hyper Knuckles
05-19-2012, 04:35 AM
Cubans are taking ova ;)

el.azteca
05-19-2012, 04:40 AM
whats with this cuban love are we forgetting how lara was schooled by molina?:blackeye:
The only one I see staying on top is gamboa. But boy would I love to see jhonny in there with him. This is the only guy I could see beating him.
And rigo is a dam hype job who has he beaten? Looked like sht against his best opponent to date. Nishioka would beat his ass.

chiguy91
05-19-2012, 04:41 AM
word, with the exception of Abril/Demarco, these are all match-ups that I would like to see....I'd like to see the "Irish" Cubans, Alexei Collado and Luis Garcia n em begin to start making the transition to the states as well...I see them both quakin' s**t in the next few years...

yeah man, i really think if these guys had a big promoter like top rank or golden boy, they'd be as known or bigger than erislandy lara. they're all still prospects though, so they still got plenty time left. another one is yoan pablo hernandez, but he is set living life over in germany.

MalikKnucklez
05-19-2012, 04:43 AM
Cubans only have about 5 fighters and thats it

Aside from the usual suspects in Gamboa, Rigondeaux, Lara, Hernandez, Solis...and now Abril (which is actually one of the least talented of all the incoming Cubans)

Collado, Luis Garcia, Yunier Dorticos, Sullivan Barrera and Rances Barthelemy are all serious Undefeated Olympic/National Champions/ prospects....and Yordenis Ugas should be undefeated, but he just came off a robbery....

plus Angelo Santana & Hairon Socarras and the rest of the Cuban "American" prospects...

those are just 14 off the top of my head...and like i said, serious prospects...not just some random ass cubans... there are plenty of names out there bro...

MalikKnucklez
05-19-2012, 04:49 AM
And rigo is a dam hype job who has he beaten? Looked like sht against his best opponent to date. Nishioka would beat his ass.

The most decorated international Amateur fighter of all time, and he's a hype job? lol...fam...do ur research before u spew s**t...Rigo's AMATEUR resume is better than most professional belt holders now...that resume includes a Win over Gamboa...and how is a KO of Rico Ramos in the 6th round to win the WBA SuperBantamweight title in only his 9th professional fight "looking shi*ty"?.....

But u wanna sit here and talk about f**king NIETES...LOL...f**k outta here...

chiguy91
05-19-2012, 04:50 AM
whats with this cuban love are we forgetting how lara was schooled by molina?:blackeye:
The only one I see staying on top is gamboa. But boy would I love to see jhonny in there with him. This is the only guy I could see beating him.

who is the one who doesn't want the rematch, lara or molina? i honestly forgot but just keep hearing "x don't want the rematch" every now and then. but those cuban fighters, lara and rigondeaux, are potential elite fighters. they've looked promising or impressive in the fights they have, it's just no one at the top right now wants to give them that shot. i mean with rigondeaux only having like 9 fights, i guess i can understand, but i think his amatuer background and age shows that he is experienced and doesn't need to up his W column on his pro record.

EDIT: damn, didn't see all these posts made while i had this open and got away from the pc for a minute.

FirePunch
05-19-2012, 04:52 AM
THOSE ARENT RIVALRY THOSE ARE JUST PLAIN FIGHTS

Last time i checked the word rivalry co exist between 2 great fighters in a great fight .

Last time mexico and cuba had a real rivalry fight jmm wiped the floor with casamayor

chiguy91
05-19-2012, 04:58 AM
THOSE ARENT RIVALRY THOSE ARE JUST PLAIN FIGHTS

Last time i checked the word rivalry co exist between 2 great fighters in a great fight .

Last time mexico and cuba had a real rivalry fight jmm wiped the floor with casamayor

i think it's just between the two fighters of said nationalities, not the level of the hype or talk about the fight. there's plenty of pr/mexico fights that weren't super big promoted televised fights, isn't there?

this is one of the nicests fight posters imo:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/699711/gamboa_vs_ponce_de_leon_poster.jpg

MalikKnucklez
05-19-2012, 05:00 AM
yeah man, i really think if these guys had a big promoter like top rank or golden boy, they'd be as known or bigger than erislandy lara.

Word, i think the biggest detractor is the fact that by the time a lot of the Cuban Olympic fighters get here, they are all well into their late 20s and 30s...even dating back to Casamayor...American fans didn't even get to watch him in his prime...

Rigondeaux/Mares is probably the most appetizing to me right now...but I won't be upset if it doesn't happen soon...both two of my favorites....Mares' resume (especially considering his age) is extremely solid...I won't even be mad if he gets a couple "tune up" fights at 122...he'll be top 5 p4p easily within the next few years...

boricuajr23
05-19-2012, 05:02 AM

Puerto Rico vs Mexico rivarly is far from dead. There is a history of ass wuppins from both countries to the other. I think in title fights we are very close if not tied. You cant take that away. Plus both countries have a large fan base towards their countrymen so it will never die. but like u said, it would be nice to see Cubans matched up against Mexicans. Some interesting fights can be made.

el.azteca
05-19-2012, 05:35 AM
The most decorated international Amateur fighter of all time, and he's a hype job? lol...fam...do ur research before u spew s**t...Rigo's AMATEUR resume is better than most professional belt holders now...that resume includes a Win over Gamboa...and how is a KO of Rico Ramos in the 6th round to win the WBA SuperBantamweight title in only his 9th professional fight "looking shi*ty"?.....

But u wanna sit here and talk about f**king NIETES...LOL...f**k outta here...

Amateur wins mean nothing. Come talk to me when he beats a live body and not some scrub like ramos who shtted his trunks before the fight even began. He keeps on fighting nobodies when there are a sht load of fights which can prove his worth.

el.azteca
05-19-2012, 05:38 AM
who is the one who doesn't want the rematch, lara or molina? i honestly forgot but just keep hearing "x don't want the rematch" every now and then. but those cuban fighters, lara and rigondeaux, are potential elite fighters. they've looked promising or impressive in the fights they have, it's just no one at the top right now wants to give them that shot. i mean with rigondeaux only having like 9 fights, i guess i can understand, but i think his amatuer background and age shows that he is experienced and doesn't need to up his W column on his pro record.

EDIT: damn, didn't see all these posts made while i had this open and got away from the pc for a minute.

Lara is ducking molina. There was an article earlier this week about it. If he really is an elite why not rematch the guy who gave him trouble like other elites do.

cactusEG
05-19-2012, 01:17 PM

I thought that rivalry was going on ?

RIZO24
05-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Them Cubans got talent, we cant deny that.. As far as rivalry goes, they need to get some wins against some elite Mexicans before the rivalry can begin. Last elite VS elite was Marquez VS Casamayor and we all know what happened.. Maybe Mares VS Rigo Or Lara VS Canelo..

el.azteca
05-19-2012, 02:16 PM
I thought that rivalry was going on ?

Naw the ricans have been slayed. :boxing:
The pinoys is where its at though. Tyson needs to fight viloria. And sosa needs to ho snatch that easy belt from jaro

MalikKnucklez
05-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Amateur wins mean nothing. Come talk to me when he beats a live body and not some scrub like ramos who shtted his trunks before the fight even began. He keeps on fighting nobodies when there are a sht load of fights which can prove his worth.

Dude...he has 9 professional fights...and his 9th was for a world title...find me someone who fought for a major world title in their 9th fight...where does this "he keeps fighting nobodies" comes from...like he's been fighting professionally for 15 years or some **** lolol...

Rigo has been asking for a Donaire fight for 14 months now...and Donaire said he wouldn't fight him because his style is "too boring"...which really means he doesn't want to fight Rigo cuz he knows Rigo is a nightmare for him stylistically...so who's ducking who?

According to you, Donaire is the frontrunner of the new Pinoy vs. Mexican revolution lolol.....

But i get the feeling ur just trolling for the sake of trolling and keeping an emotional argument rolling lol...so this'll be my last post....

Capo Loko
05-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Gamboa ducked Bam Bam

Lara just ducked Molina

They don't want none! They know if they step in the ring, they will get a beating.

P.R vs Mexico- that's where its at! :boxing:

el.azteca
05-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Dude...he has 9 professional fights...and his 9th was for a world title...find me someone who fought for a major world title in their 9th fight...where does this "he keeps fighting nobodies" comes from...like he's been fighting professionally for 15 years or some **** lolol...

Rigo has been asking for a Donaire fight for 14 months now...and Donaire said he wouldn't fight him because his style is "too boring"...which really means he doesn't want to fight Rigo cuz he knows Rigo is a nightmare for him stylistically...so who's ducking who?

According to you, Donaire is the frontrunner of the new Pinoy vs. Mexican revolution lolol.....

But i get the feeling ur just trolling for the sake of trolling and keeping an emotional argument rolling lol...so this'll be my last post....
there are a sht load of fights that have been made between mexicans and pinoys while there have been very little fights between cubans and mexicans and I doubt we will see any fights between them any time soon. And yeah rigo has called him out but there are other fighters out there called out moreno mares I dont hear any one calling out the best in nishioka

Underboss
05-19-2012, 08:16 PM

Don't forget Mike Perez. He fought 3 guys in 1 night and whooped them all.

bigsmoothh
05-19-2012, 10:14 PM
sounds interesting, and would be good for the sport.............

Roman Moreno
05-20-2012, 07:41 AM
Dude...he has 9 professional fights...and his 9th was for a world title...find me someone who fought for a major world title in their 9th fight

There been quite a few in history.

But, in today, Kazuto Ioka comes to mind. He is fighting a unification match in his 10th pro fight. And, the plan after that is to move up and become a 2 division titlist in 11 pro fights. And, I think P4P he has a better resume than Rigondeaux. But, meh it's debatable.

But, Ioka is a perfect example that we have too many titles. That now winning a title means a lot for that particular fighter. But, in terms of history accomplishments it gets watered down.