View Full Version : Crunches?

bubba1
09-19-2004, 05:20 AM
good for you or bad for you? I heard they rip your abs but can give you back problems.

Ranger2408
09-19-2004, 06:48 AM
good for you or bad for you? I heard they rip your abs but can give you back problems. only if you don't do them right:o

jack_the_rippuh
09-19-2004, 11:29 AM
I naturally have a pretty ripped stomach, but what can you do to strengthen your stomach muscles?

.::|ULTIMATE|::.
09-19-2004, 03:00 PM
crunches are good for u but remember they need to be a concious effort. Some people either do em without thinking or pull from the back of the head that is a no no.

50 crunches with concious effort from you are better than 200 mindless crunches.

spinksjinx
09-19-2004, 03:14 PM
Crunches-Pull up with your midsection 4x25 (even put weights on them if you can)

Leg Raises-4X25

Bicycle crunches-4x25

Bicycle crunches in my book are the best in the book period.....

mic573
09-19-2004, 07:00 PM
Like everyone else said if you don't do them properly you could have back problems.

Hurlex
09-21-2004, 02:29 AM
yo wait explain this..crunches with NOT lifting from behind the head???

so u mean ars like together at side and force my self up??? with my hands anywhere but not nehind my head??? explain how to do a good crunch please...

Dyl-G
10-24-2004, 07:55 PM
what are bicycle crunches?

Rage
10-29-2004, 04:03 PM
For Hurlex- Lay on yer back with knees up-right, cross yer arms across chest, find a spot on the ceiling and try to lift the upper half of your torso to that point, try not to curl your body.
DYL-G,,,a bicycle crunch, lay on yer back, put your body(legs) in a sitting position, crunch and rotate yer upper body to one side, on the side you are rotating to, bring that knee in so to touch your elbow. i.e., right elbow to left knee.
Not sure if you guy's were playing ignorant, but wanted to explain just in case.

bigtex
10-29-2004, 04:27 PM
I perfer leg raises, and to the sides also

Eken
10-31-2004, 06:51 AM
Done properly crunches can be very effective and the chance of getting back problems almost non existent. :) You might prefer holding a weight behind your head though instead of doing hundreds of crunches without. :rolleyes:

bigtex
11-02-2004, 12:58 AM
dont forget to do the medicine ball drill either.

FrankJack
11-02-2004, 02:41 AM
The medicine ball is harder and more effective I think. I remember the first time I did it, man.....When my coach had finished throwin it onto my stomach, I had to sit down for like 25 minutes. I couldn't stand for more than a couple of second before feelin like my body would just shut down and collapse. The ball was small and lite too, only 6 pounds. But yeah, stay doin the crunches also man, you'll appreciate that you did.

blockburna944
11-02-2004, 02:52 AM
I know that there are a couple types of medicine ball drills for ab work, which one did you do to get that kind of effect?

TysonForeman
11-02-2004, 03:17 AM
I always wonder if hitting your stomach to get used to body shots is causing damage to your internal organs. It would be funny to drop a ball on your face to get used to head shots. LOL.
Another thing you can do is push up heavy bag really hard so it swings away from you and swings back and the bottom of the bag nails you in the stomach.

blockburna944
11-02-2004, 03:25 AM
Also, for a really good ab workout - this is what my coach had us do when i ran cross-country in high-school (works great for boxing):

15-min abs

Beween each exercise is a short rest (we would do 30 seconds for the first couple sets, then move to 45 seconds for the last, but its almost impossible to maintain if you havent done much ab development before).

Note: you can also mix up the order of exercises if you want.

1 minute regular crunches (focus on form - flat back, don't lift from neck, etc.)

1 min side-to-side scissor kicks (keep abs and back flat with head off ground and cross legs in side to sid motion at constant rate.

1 min up and down scissor kicks (same thing but up and down)

1 min bicycle crunches

1 min v-ups (this is killer)(start with only butt touching ground and legs and back six inches off ground, then bring both regions to center of body, keeping back and legs as straight as possible, like a v)

2 mins six-inches

1 min curls of bringing left elbow to right knee

1 min curls of bringing right elbow to left knee

Another minute each of both scissor kickcs, bicycles and v-ups

Finish out with regular crunches, again focusing mostly on form.

blockburna944
11-02-2004, 03:27 AM
Now that i think about it, i may have left some exercises out of that (cant remember) but thats what ive been doing now, and beats the hell out of me

bigtex
11-02-2004, 01:21 PM
medicine ball drills are simple but effective, lay flat have someone stand over you with the ball and drop it on your stomach and you throw it back up to them and repeat. I go for 3x15 and sides also. helps with the muscles contracting.

spinksjinx
11-02-2004, 01:36 PM
medicine ball drills are simple but effective, lay flat have someone stand over you with the ball and drop it on your stomach and you throw it back up to them and repeat. I go for 3x15 and sides also. helps with the muscles contracting.

I had a 15 pound medicine ball dropped onto my stomach before and it wasnt pretty...It was when I was starting out and it totally smashed me....

If I have a workout partner at the time im working out, I will use a medicine ball on all of my ab exercises...Much lighter now though, I use 5-10 pounds (I should probably move it up though)

Crunches and the various styles you can do them is the most effective abdominal exercises in the book, Leg raises would be the runner up, those things are pure hell.

FrankJack
11-02-2004, 02:44 PM
"I know that there are a couple types of medicine ball drills for ab work, which one did you do to get that kind of effect?"

He just stood over me and threw that ball down as hard as he could.

blockburna944
11-02-2004, 10:20 PM
haha, that would do it i guess

TysonForeman
11-03-2004, 05:15 AM
The Medicine ball I use to drop on my stomach is 22lbs, I just lay down and fully extend my arms and drop it. Is 22lbs too much?

spinksjinx
11-03-2004, 10:31 AM
The Medicine ball I use to drop on my stomach is 22lbs, I just lay down and fully extend my arms and drop it. Is 22lbs too much?

I dont know how I would do w/ that amount of weight coming down on my stomach lol.....I hope it is a free fall and you are not putting force into dropping it and your arms are short lol......

Hey if you can take it, Id keep doing it...It can only make you stronger.

Dyl-G
12-28-2004, 02:04 AM
Just Thought I Would Revive Some Old Good Threads For Some Newcomers

BlackBeltNow
12-28-2004, 04:22 PM
good for you or bad for you? I heard they rip your abs but can give you back problems.
if u do "sit ups" then they are bad. situp is when u go all the way down. crunches u go down maybe half way, and ur back is always in an arch shape the whole time. <--htis is important, b/c keeping it straight and going half way down is as bad as doing a situp.