View Full Version : Do you ever root against your countrymen??

RIZO24
05-14-2012, 03:32 PM
I never root against my countrymen unless they are fighting against each other, like Morales did VS Barrera, I was rooting for Morales. Heck I also root for anyone that has Mexican ethnicity (Chicanos, Half-bloods) I know that sometimes my countrymen will, or might lose but I dont care, I will never root against my people.. At least Im being honest, and its not that I dont know boxing, Its just the way I am.. Got it from my dad, he always rooted for Mexicans and Chicanos even if they sucked!!:boxing: Rooting for LAtinos is a different thing all together. I will root against Latinos that are not Mexican every once in awhile, especially if they have beat a bunch of Mexicans.. LMAO

JRM
05-14-2012, 03:34 PM
I never root against my countrymen unless they are fighting against each other, like Morales did VS Barrera, I was rooting for Morales. Heck I also root for anyone that has Mexican ethnicity (Chicanos, Half-bloods) I know that sometimes my countrymen will, or might lose but I dont care, I will never root against my people.. At least Im being honest, and its not that I dont know boxing, Its just the way I am.. Got it from my dad, he always rooted for Mexicans and Chicanos even if they sucked!!:boxing: Rooting for LAtinos is a different thing all together. I will root against Latinos that are not Mexican every once in awhile, especially if they have beat a bunch of Mexicans.. LMAO

.....jamas....

I root for fighters like Mosley though..

RIZO24
05-14-2012, 03:51 PM
.....jamas....

I root for fighters like Mosley though..

Mosely is one of my favorite fighters of all time, never rooted for him against Mexicans or Chicanos though..every other time I rooted for him, even against Cotto and Mayorga.

Cleto_Reyes
05-14-2012, 06:29 PM
usually root for "gente". unless i dont know the dude

!! AI-Holmes!!
05-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Only once, when they played The Harlem Globetrotters..

piojo del norte
05-14-2012, 07:21 PM
I root for whoever I think deserves the win based on his dedication, hard work and determination.

ELHURACAN58
05-14-2012, 07:21 PM
I root against puerto ricans only when they fight a fighter they severely outclass and obviously cherrypick.

Few examples are Camacho-Chavez Sr., Calderon-Segura, and Tito-Hopkins.

In truth though, only time I root against them is if I find them boring. Dont like boring champs (for me to find a boxer boring is if they spend 50% of a round shadow boxing or hugging).

Hyper Knuckles
05-14-2012, 07:29 PM
oh pr vs mexico rivalry.. I can never win

RIZO24
05-14-2012, 09:28 PM
Only once, when they played The Harlem Globetrotters..
Are you Puerto Rican?

-jose-
05-14-2012, 09:45 PM
Never Have-Never Will

!! AI-Holmes!!
05-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Are you Puerto Rican?
Nah, I'm from Beckley, West Virginia by way of Pomona, California and I'm a miner here in Virginia..

Optimistic
05-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Never have, never will.

MANIAC310
05-14-2012, 11:16 PM
all the time.......

like I've said before despite some trolling ....
I'm not very nationalistic. At least not enough to blindly support someone because they came out of a vagina in the same land that I did.

I don't really see blind nationalism as a good thing.... but that's just my opinion

el.azteca
05-14-2012, 11:23 PM
never have never will. Will always support margs.:boxing:

RIZO24
05-15-2012, 12:46 AM
Nah, I'm from Beckley, West Virginia by way of Pomona, California and I'm a miner here in Virginia..

WTF? it was a serious question. what nationality are you?

RIZO24
05-15-2012, 12:51 AM
all the time.......

like I've said before despite some trolling ....
I'm not very nationalistic. At least not enough to blindly support someone because they came out of a vagina in the same land that I did.

I don't really see blind nationalism as a good thing.... but that's just my opinion

What? So you just support the good Mexican fighters like JMM?
IMO being nationalistic is a sense of being proud of who you aré and where you Came from...

-Johannes-
05-15-2012, 01:24 AM
I root against some mexicans at times. I like to think we have enough talent out there to favor those fighters that fight the way we like to watch boxing. Being nationalistic is ok but following someone blindly based just on something trivial like nationality is kind of dumb. For example, if Chavez jr ever decides to fight Martinez I will root for Martinez because I just like him more as a boxer. I rooted for Mayweather every time he fought a mexican or mexican american.

There are times when a rivalry comes that I do follow Mexicans blindly but that's just for fun. I just can't bring myself to rooting for a Puerto Rican or a Filipino.

bigsmoothh
05-15-2012, 01:20 PM
todo de pende en la situacion donde estemos, claro que quiero que mi gallo gane pero cuando ya se apuesta mas serio hay que ver bien las cosas.............

baya
05-15-2012, 01:31 PM
couple of times.

when manfredy fought the kidd diaz, i rooted for diaz ... then he got robbed. that was weird.

also, when mares recently fought morel.

el espectator demuestra una madures cuando tiene mas criterio afuera de solo ser compatriota de un peleador. idiota seria yo si apoyo un peleador que ha violada una ninita y que tiene rasgos que no deseo en un peleador, pero lo hago porque es solo boricua. pero este mundo esta lleno de idiotas.

RIZO24
05-15-2012, 01:37 PM
couple of times.

when manfredy fought the kidd diaz, i rooted for diaz ... then he got robbed. that was weird.

also, when mares recently fought morel.

el espectator demuestra una madures cuando tiene mas criterio afuera de solo ser compatriota de un peleador. idiota seria yo si apoyo un peleador que ha violada una ninita y que tiene rasgos que no deseo en un peleador, pero lo hago porque es solo boricua. pero este mundo esta lleno de idiotas.

Thats true, I got to admit, I hate the way Carlos Molina and Archie Solis fight and wish they lose sometimes.. Tienes razon, Id probably root against Molina if he fought Canelo or Angulo.. LMAO but if he fought Cotto, id root for Molina even if I hate his style..

bigsmoothh
05-15-2012, 01:42 PM
but carlos molina pelea come el great b hop, al hop lo adoran y a molina lo detestan lmfao............

baya
05-15-2012, 01:48 PM
a ver molina pelear es como escuchar un inodoro enjuagar.

RIZO24
05-15-2012, 01:53 PM
I hate fighters like Molina, Abril, Ricky Hatton, B-Hop.. They hold way too ****en much!! Hey Baya, why you root against Manfredy? I liked the way "El Diablo" fought.. Actually he was one of my favorite fighters at that time, he beat the **** out of Gatti..

baya
05-15-2012, 02:44 PM
I hate fighters like Molina, Abril, Ricky Hatton, B-Hop.. They hold way too ****en much!! Hey Baya, why you root against Manfredy? I liked the way "El Diablo" fought.. Actually he was one of my favorite fighters at that time, he beat the **** out of Gatti..

i just loved the way "the kidd" fought, very composed and could really bang.

he never, IMO, really rebounded mentally when they robbed him against manfredy and with that mentality he went in to fight that dude, el pollo creo que le llamaban. diablo que KO, eso fue duro a ver.

RIZO24
05-15-2012, 02:54 PM
I liked the way the Diaz brothers fought.. Julio and Antonio both became champions but their reign lasted very little.

baya
05-15-2012, 02:57 PM
I liked the way the Diaz brothers fought.. Julio and Antonio both became champions but their reign lasted very little.

it was for that vacant 147 title the antonio fought against that no-namer antonio margarito at the time. that was my first margarito fight and was shocked to see what he had done to 'tonio in stopping him.

the_ilest
05-15-2012, 03:16 PM
i do it all they time. Im a boxing fan not a race fan. i rooted for mosley, vs marg, canelo and mora. Im a mosley fan though.

RIZO24
05-15-2012, 05:37 PM
i do it all they time. Im a boxing fan not a race fan. i rooted for mosley, vs marg, canelo and mora. Im a mosley fan though.

I did not know Mexican is a race?:no:

MalikKnucklez
05-16-2012, 12:22 AM
I noticed a lot of Mexican cats root for Mosley.

Nationalism isn't a bad thing. Its a huge part of the sport, and will continue to be. Maybe because, more so than any other sport, Nationality also has a lot to do with a fighter's style/ technique. A boxer's story is told through his roots. And a lot of times, its a huge part of the reason why the fighter fights in the first place. I'm all for it, its what makes the sport fun.

My problem is when "rooting" turns into blatant bias and then cats can't objectively rate or judge boxers. That's two different things. Cuz then that stops us from having a meaningful discourse amongst fans. Or when fans develop a negative opinion of a boxer simply based on his nationality, "nitpick" or consistently find ways to discredit the fighter.

I root for my folks, no doubt. But I also know when one of my own has a good chance of getting his ass kicked, or is outmatched lol. And i won't be afraid to say it.