View Full Version : Why is Lennox Lewis underrated?

Monsi
11-28-2005, 06:14 AM
Lewis had it all - size, power, heart, smarts plus he couldn't be intimidated. Yet he rarely features in GOAT lists. Is it because he wasn't an out-and-out blaster? He figured that sometimes it was better to outbox and outthink opponents, rather than go for a KO. Isn't that a sign of his greatness as a fighter?

BigDozer260
11-28-2005, 07:51 AM
Lewis had it all - size, power, heart, smarts plus he couldn't be intimidated. Yet he rarely features in GOAT lists. Is it because he wasn't an out-and-out blaster? He figured that sometimes it was better to outbox and outthink opponents, rather than go for a KO. Isn't that a sign of his greatness as a fighter?He's in the top 11 greatest fighters of all time, remember there are far more great fighters from the past then there are from the present, for example; Jack Johnson, Wolcott, Joe Louis, Ezzard Charles, Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Holmes, I hate to admit it but even Marciano. So he's compared to so many legends and all of their achievements, and that why he's rated the way he's rated.

Baddest man on da planet
11-28-2005, 08:54 AM
Lewis had it all - size, power, heart, smarts plus he couldn't be intimidated. Yet he rarely features in GOAT lists. Is it because he wasn't an out-and-out blaster? He figured that sometimes it was better to outbox and outthink opponents, rather than go for a KO. Isn't that a sign of his greatness as a fighter?
he is underrated because of the era he ruled was boring. he cleaned it out but in a very unconvincing way. and also because of tyson and holyfield were around and people considered them better. but i think he was a great fighter.

Verstyle
11-28-2005, 09:19 AM
I think he's underrated cause the era was boring and all the good ppl that he fought were out of there prime's. Plus we wasn't a really fun and exciting fighter to watch to begin with.

Dempsey 1919
11-28-2005, 12:23 PM
because he boxed at the time where tyson was still the main attraction.

RAESAAD
11-28-2005, 12:41 PM
He is one of the greatest IMO......he is my favorite HW of all time and I enjoyed watching him fight he was very smart and had a hell of a whack when he did let it go.

MickyHatton
11-28-2005, 01:03 PM
I think he's underrated cause the era was boring and all the good ppl that he fought were out of there prime's. Plus we wasn't a really fun and exciting fighter to watch to begin with.

Whilst I think you may have a point in the perception of Lennox I dont agree mate with your statement.

Lewis was of similar age to Holyfield and Tyson, he destroyed the vast majority of opponents he fought and was rarely in a dull fight (Shannon Briggs comes to mind)

Razor Ruddock was supposed to be the next big thing he was destroyed in two rounds, Botha and Grant in two rounds, Golota in 1 round. Tommy Morrison was smashed around for about 6 rounds!

He was far from boring in the ring, outside of the ring however he was as interesting as watching paint dry, thats why he was not liked that much, plus he beat Tyson up ableit an older Tyson but Tyson for his faults was the box office draw!

Punster
11-28-2005, 03:03 PM
He was boring in and out of the ring. It was lame to see a guy stand in the middle of the ring, use his 7 foot reach to tag a guy with jabs until he went down.

He had a glass jaw though. If somebody got inside and hit him hard enough, that's that.

flipside
11-29-2005, 01:21 AM
he faced a past his prime tyson and that was the best boxer he fought... thats why he's overlooked and i believe that lewis wouldn't have been a champion in a different era...

Baddest man on da planet
11-29-2005, 04:12 AM
he faced a past his prime tyson and that was the best boxer he fought... thats why he's overlooked and i believe that lewis wouldn't have been a champion in a different era...
i like him e is a good boxer but i agreewith you

Verstyle
11-29-2005, 06:53 AM
Whilst I think you may have a point in the perception of Lennox I dont agree mate with your statement.

Lewis was of similar age to Holyfield and Tyson, he destroyed the vast majority of opponents he fought and was rarely in a dull fight (Shannon Briggs comes to mind)

Razor Ruddock was supposed to be the next big thing he was destroyed in two rounds, Botha and Grant in two rounds, Golota in 1 round. Tommy Morrison was smashed around for about 6 rounds!

He was far from boring in the ring, outside of the ring however he was as interesting as watching paint dry, thats why he was not liked that much, plus he beat Tyson up ableit an older Tyson but Tyson for his faults was the box office draw!

But all the ppl u mentioned were out of there primes so in other words he just fought left overs

M26
11-29-2005, 08:21 AM
Lennox Lewis is hardly underrated. People tend to rank him somewhere in the top15 of the all time heavyweights, and this is where he belong. I don't consider Lewis among the top ten. He was really good though.

kapersky
11-29-2005, 11:24 AM
lennox lewis just happen to be in right place in wrong time, he fough tyson and holyfield when many though they was wasted up and couldnt ko holyfield, and he got weak chin other wise his skills belong in top10

Sir_Jose
11-29-2005, 12:47 PM
Right place right time? How do you call

Olympic Gold Medal
3 Time Heavyweight Champion
16-2 In Championship fights(Both losses avenged)

All this over a 15 year career is hardly a case of right place right time. Thats called being dominate.

Dont forget it was Tyson who paid Lewis 5 Million and gave up his WBC belt so he wouldn't have to fight Lewis. It was Ridick Bowe who gave up his belt so he wouldn't have to fight Lewis.

You cant blame him for that.

Not stoping Holyfield is a bad thing? Since when did Evander become easy to stop?

He was a dominate champion who is no doubt top 10 all time. I flat out laugh whwen I hear people rank guys like Gene Tunney and Sonny Liston ahead of him.

Lewis also had a much much better chin than people gave him credit for. His problem wasn't his chin it was his focus. Would someone like to explain to me how Rahman and McCall KO'ed him, but couldn't even make him blink the second time around?Or why big puncher like Mercer, Tua and Tyson could hurt him? and please dont say he didn't get hit in those fights. There is no way in hell you can fight 12 rounds in a championship fight and not take some power punches.

Tommy Brooks summed up Lewis chin perfectly.

If Lennox decides he's not going anywhere then he's not going anywhere- Tommy Brooks on Lewis being able to take Tyson's punch.

The era he fought in was probably the second deepest era of all time in the heavyweight division. Peopkle really seem to forget the heavyweight divion ALWAYS sucks and has though out history.

Lewis
Holyfield
Tyson
Bowe
Mercer
Morrison
Rudock
Moorer

Looks pretty damn good to me.

MickyHatton
11-30-2005, 04:13 PM
But all the ppl u mentioned were out of there primes so in other words he just fought left overs

What!!!!

Ruddock - Prime, on his was supposedly to the title.
Morrison - Prime.
Grant - Young and on his way up.
Golota - around the same age.
Briggs younger than Lewis.
Tyson - around the same age.
Holyfield - around the same age.

Where was the left overs, its not like he fought old men like Tyson (Tubbs and Holmes)

Imira
11-30-2005, 04:31 PM
Looking at his body of work, you can't take away his success in the ring. Most people who underrate him as a champion do so because he wasn't Tyson.

He isn't one of my favorite fighters, but I believe that anyone who is being fair and objective must admit that he has solidified his place as an all-time great.

tommyhearns804
11-30-2005, 04:40 PM
Lewis is a top 10 all time great.But some people short change him because his best wins came against a old Holyfield.And i see some fool has Ezzard Charles and Walcott above Lewis..Kid are you mentally retarded?Neither of these guys were heavyweights.Charels was a natural middleweight and Walcott was a small cruiserweight.Neither of them would last more than 3 rounds with Lewis.
Marciano was a small cruiserweight who would be crushed in less than one round.Frazier was unskilled compared to Lewis and would be beat with no problem.Joe Louis had a weak chin and was dead slow.Few people you actually put infront of Lewis.Ali,Foreman..maybe a prime Bowe or Holmes.If you seen a prime Lyle Fight you could see why he could beat Lewis.But anybody else you put only shows either that you are biased or a complete jackass.And this is from a person who can't stand Lewis.
The only person who i like less than Lewis is Tyson and i wanted Tyson to beat Lewis.

XionComrade
11-30-2005, 05:06 PM
Basically the reason people underrated Lewis was because of his cool, calm, laid back style, they think that he is a bum fighting bums because he doesn't move around a whole lot and lands at will, it's just his style.

Nonetheless I have seen Lewis move like a lighting bolt, and be as aggressive as Frazier.(First round of the Tyson fight and the Briggs and a few other fights...)

kapersky
12-01-2005, 04:39 AM
he also dont do anything more than neccesary. he got headbutts 6-7 times by holyfield but he didnt headbutt back. in round 12 holyfield headbutt him you could see how lewis like as to saying "please stop headbutts me, i have enough" thats why he is underrated.

boxstarr
12-01-2005, 06:12 PM
lewis is a great, in my opinion, there were 3 great boxers in his era...holyfield tyson and lewis himself

people will say that tyson was past his prime, but you forget they were the same age and its just that they peaked at different ages. had they fought earlier no-one would have complained lewis hadnt yet reached his prime had tyson won. they would have said they were the same age so people should also judge this on the same terms

he also hasnt messed up his legacy as so many boxers do

tyson and holyfield both stayed way past when they should have retired and have jeapordised their greatness

people will also underrate him as he was a more genuine nice guy, not attempting to be sensational, thus being harder to remember

DamonG
12-03-2005, 09:52 PM

He's not underrated at all. He is what he is.

The best fighter of his era in a crappy weight division. Not necessarily his fault, but he should've been more aggressive for a guy his size, skill level and punching power, but fought as if he were playing chess, rather than being the Heavyweight champ of the world, ready and willing to mix it up with anybody and knock out all comers, showing no mercy. He didn't do that.

Remember, when Tyson was flattening everybody from '85 to '89, he wasn't facing top notch competition either, but his whole persona in ring as a guy who is there to seek and destroy, rather than play it safe and out-box people is why everybody loved watching him.

Dirt E Gomez
12-04-2005, 06:33 AM
Lewis will always be over looked in years to come because of Tyson. Tyson's delusional fans will still be all over his jock disgregarding anybody else was alive in the late 80's early 90's. Lewis, while dominating the division, never had his foil to get the recognition he needed. He was too good in a sense. While Evander was a warrior, and a great fighter, he didn't match up with Lewis. He never had anybody who truly pushed him to his limits, so the spectators are always somewhat wanting more. I hope his legacy grows in time and people realize what a pleasure it was watching him destroy all commers.

ophqui
12-04-2005, 07:37 AM
Because of Boxing politics and fighters like Bowe and tyson ducking him Lewis was denied a career making fight until he was well out of his prime. His best win on paper was Holyfield, and he had to beat him twice to get the W. The tyson fight was supposed to be his career definer, but he had to wait until both he and tyson were past their bests before that fight could be made, and it ended up a relatively dull fight. Lewis beat everyone that was put infront of him (including Rahman and Mcall eventually), thats all a fighter can do in my eyes

I disagree with everyone who said it was a dull era for H/W boxing, i think there were more decent boxers, characters and rivalries in the Lewis era than any time before since The likes of Ali. People forget that Holmes was hardly in a competitive fight his whole career, yet he's lauded as one of the greats while Lewis is forgotten.

leff
12-04-2005, 09:24 AM
i think the reason he is underrated is because he never was very popular not because he wasnt very good, cause he was very good indeed.

the funny thing is when the tyson nuthuggers say tyson lost cause off his age when lewis is like 1ore 2 years older than tyson.

tracylee
12-04-2005, 02:25 PM
Lewis will always be over looked in years to come because of Tyson. Tyson's delusional fans will still be all over his jock disgregarding anybody else was alive in the late 80's early 90's. Lewis, while dominating the division, never had his foil to get the recognition he needed. He was too good in a sense. While Evander was a warrior, and a great fighter, he didn't match up with Lewis. He never had anybody who truly pushed him to his limits, so the spectators are always somewhat wanting more. I hope his legacy grows in time and people realize what a pleasure it was watching him destroy all commers.

Fantastic post Dirt-eeeee....I strongly agree! :)

MickyHatton
12-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Fantastic post Dirt-eeeee....I strongly agree! :)

Me also well said!

tracylee
12-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Me also well said!

yep, you too :)

Gemini531
12-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Lewis is overrated he never fought anyone in their prime worth mentioning victories against holifiled and Tyson are worthless in terms of greatness achieved.

kapersky
12-05-2005, 01:20 AM
i think the reason he is underrated is because he never was very popular not because he wasnt very good, cause he was very good indeed.

the funny thing is when the tyson nuthuggers say tyson lost cause off his age when lewis is like 1ore 2 years older than tyson.

i know, but if you cant see that tyson wasent serious from the day he left rooney then something is wrong with you.

leff
12-05-2005, 07:33 AM
i know, but if you cant see that tyson wasent serious from the day he left rooney then something is wrong with you.

i do see it, but that aint an excuse.

age,injuries etc are valied excuses but pure lazyness aint.

MickyHatton
12-05-2005, 07:48 AM
Lewis is overrated he never fought anyone in their prime worth mentioning victories against holifiled and Tyson are worthless in terms of greatness achieved.

Greatness achieved being what?

Do you mean ruling and unifying the Heavyweight division?

Or do you mean becoming only the second man in history to regain the Heavyweight crown three times?

Or the first undisputed BRITISH heavyweight champion of the world for over a hundred years?

He beat the best around including Holyfield and Tyson considering that he himself was in his mid to late thirties when he did this the argument about being in their prime and on the way down kind of doesn't stick!

DamonG
12-05-2005, 04:18 PM
I disagree with everyone who said it was a dull era for H/W boxing, i think there were more decent boxers, characters and rivalries in the Lewis era than any time before since The likes of Ali. People forget that Holmes was hardly in a competitive fight his whole career, yet he's lauded as one of the greats while Lewis is forgotten.

A couple points:

1. It was a dull era of heavyweight boxing, aside from the Bowe-Holyfield triology, which is about as good as it gets from a heavyweight standpoint as far quality fighters, great fights and pure entertainment.

Here's a list of the major HW champs (WBC, WBA, IBF) in the 90's outside of the Big 4 (Lewis, Holyfield, Tyson and Bowe): Buster Douglas? Michael Moorer? Oliver McCall? George Foreman in his 40's? Bruce Seldon? Frank Bruno?

2. As far as Holmes goes, he made 19 title defenses as a heavyweight, which validates his greatness. Especially when you can slip up (see Lennox Lewis' two unexpected KO losses) on a night you aren't feeling it and lose.

MickyHatton
12-05-2005, 04:27 PM
A couple points:

1. It was a dull era of heavyweight boxing, aside from the Bowe-Holyfield triology, which is about as good as it gets from a heavyweight standpoint as far quality fighters, great fights and pure entertainment.

Here's a list of the major HW champs (WBC, WBA, IBF) in the 90's outside of the Big 4 (Lewis, Holyfield, Tyson and Bowe): Buster Douglas? Michael Moorer? Oliver McCall? George Foreman in his 40's? Bruce Seldon? Frank Bruno?

2. As far as Holmes goes, he made 19 title defenses as a heavyweight, which validates his greatness. Especially when you can slip up (see Lennox Lewis' two unexpected KO losses) on a night you aren't feeling it and lose.

The four you mention would hold their own in any era so was it a poor time?, throw in Golota, Ruddock, Grant, Morrison, Wladimir Klitschko and the others you mentioned then you cannot say it was a poor era.

In the Ali era there was four or five top fighters and then a lower brand of good fighters so not that much has changed, I am old enough to remember the Ali Bum of the Month fights so......

Regardless of what is said Lewis was a superb champion and thats that.