View Full Version : Broken Noses

Manfredo Jr
11-27-2005, 03:50 PM
This thread may sound kinda silly to you , but i am very interested in knowing about how boxers get so many bands in there noses , take peter manfredo jr his nose is mashed , i was wondering if after you brake it the first tym it just starts to get worse and worse the more you box or if it just gradually go's like that after a few punches in the snout ? :confused:

njbxr
02-27-2007, 07:48 AM
This thread may sound kinda silly to you , but i am very interested in knowing about how boxers get so many bands in there noses , take peter manfredo jr his nose is mashed , i was wondering if after you brake it the first tym it just starts to get worse and worse the more you box or if it just gradually go's like that after a few punches in the snout ? :confused:

Exactly how many times was his nose broken? And what do you mean by bands? i never heard this term used before when refering to a broken nose. Peter's nose may be obviously broken but there are far worse ones to look at. If it doesnt bother him enough to do something about it, it doesnt bother me.

squealpiggy
02-27-2007, 07:50 AM
A broken nose is an occupational hazard for a boxer. I have had a total of one amateur fight and I have broken my nose exactly once in boxing!

-Antonio-
02-27-2007, 08:23 AM
I guess the toll of punch after punch eventually flattens some noses.

I noticed that on a guy I train with. His nose is already starting to flatten and hes only 19.

Manfredo Jr
02-27-2007, 08:24 AM
Exactly how many times was his nose broken? And what do you mean by bands? i never heard this term used before when refering to a broken nose. Peter's nose may be obviously broken but there are far worse ones to look at. If it doesnt bother him enough to do something about it, it doesnt bother me.

i dunno lol i made this thread over ayear ago lol

Manfredo Jr
02-27-2007, 08:25 AM
i think its meant to say bends no bands lol my bad :cool2:

njbxr
02-27-2007, 08:54 AM
i think its meant to say bends no bands lol my bad :cool2:

LOL.

Well I am new here and didnt even notice the date the message was posted. My bad. Being the reciprient of 2 broken noses myself, I think it depends on a number of things which cause the nose to flatten. Not all of them do. In Manfredo's case. It looks as if the cartilage has begun to deteriorate causing what is known as a saddle nose or boxers nose (aptly named). Didnt notice to many bends in his although his bridge is pretty wide. Overall the nose fits his face. He seems proud of it having pointed it out in several interviews I had seen him in.

Best is to avoid having it broken if you dont want it to turn out flat or crooked. And if it concerns you that much have it fixed. Most boxers dont bother until they end there carrers. Of course by then things never look the same.

Manfredo Jr
02-27-2007, 10:37 AM
if my nose breaks i aint getting it fixed, you know what the fix it with!

Jim_Davis
02-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Henry Cooper's nose is mashed up. I heard that sometimes surgeons can even structure nose better than it was before in most cases. But boxers aint gonna get surgery while theyre still fighting.

tito yuca
02-27-2007, 11:02 AM
I've heard many times that boxers have surgery on their nose BEFORE they begin their careers, and they take a bone out, a bone that if you hit the nose from the bottom it will go up and stab the brain, cutting off oxygen. Anybody know anything about this?

beecherhq
02-27-2007, 11:22 AM
I think thats true, i know in certain areas of the army they teach them the area to hit and the technique to do that.

Jim_Davis
02-27-2007, 11:27 AM
I've heard many times that boxers have surgery on their nose BEFORE they begin their careers, and they take a bone out, a bone that if you hit the nose from the bottom it will go up and stab the brain, cutting off oxygen. Anybody know anything about this?

Mike Tyson used to threaten to do that to his opponents alot lol.

Manfredo Jr
02-27-2007, 11:54 AM

i aint sure if thats true, but i can remember when i was younger we used to go on about if you hit someone under there nose with the palmof your hand you could kill them, anyone got any more info?

AllEyesOpen
02-27-2007, 01:11 PM
i aint sure if thats true, but i can remember when i was younger we used to go on about if you hit someone under there nose with the palmof your hand you could kill them, anyone got any more info?

I read somewhere that it's not possible to jam someone's nose(or any part of it) into someone's brain. it was a long time ago but if I recall correctly, hitting someone as hard as you can on the nose with your palm, you'd just press his nose against his tear ducts, temporary blinding them, but not killing them.

small_warrior
02-27-2007, 03:30 PM
my nose been brocken 3 time, the first time the nose wasn't straight anymore. the second time the bone went completley on to the side, so i straighted the nose myself. since then the nose was even straighter then betwen the first and the second broken nose.
the thirth time it broke, on the same place then the second time, because i got a bout, and the nose wasn't fixed completely.

aljon
02-27-2007, 03:39 PM

Yeah that's very true, I have 2 friends in my gym that have done that already...
I personally haven't done it and I used to sparr almost everyday... My nose is just fine, it depends how many times you get hit and if you get hit clearly or not... Most experienced amateur boxers that I know, even when they get hit they don't get hit clearly cuz they're disciplined enough to keep their hands up at all times... In pros you go in the later rounds and ur arms eventually start falling down from exhastion and you get hit clearly and that's why your nose gets ****ed up..
So I suggest DEFEnse :boxing:

njbxr
02-27-2007, 05:15 PM
Yeah that's very true, I have 2 friends in my gym that have done that already...
I personally haven't done it and I used to sparr almost everyday...:

Wouldnt having surgery on your nose before you box, be pointless, thats like putting your underwear on after your pants? why? and what do they do? remove bone, then you end up looking Manfredo with out the experience behind it.
Of course I may be wrong I don't know anyone who has had it done.

And the palm to nose thing is an urban ledgend. there are many posts online debating the legitamacy of it

aljon
02-27-2007, 05:56 PM
Wouldnt having surgery on your nose before you box, be pointless, thats like putting your underwear on after your pants? why? and what do they do? remove bone, then you end up looking Manfredo with out the experience behind it.
Of course I may be wrong I don't know anyone who has had it done.

And the palm to nose thing is an urban ledgend. there are many posts online debating the legitamacy of it

You don't have to make surgery, the doctor can manually do it, you don't have to remove the whole bone, just break it in a spot I'm not sure which spot, but I know my friend did it, and he told me it's a lot less painless to take punches in the nose... Even some old school trainers know how to do it with the right equipment...

squealpiggy
02-27-2007, 06:07 PM

Doubtful because when you break your nose it's usually cartilege that breaks. Bone doesn't knife off into your brain...

njbxr
02-27-2007, 06:16 PM
You don't have to make surgery, the doctor can manually do it, you don't have to remove the whole bone, just break it in a spot I'm not sure which spot, but I know my friend did it, and he told me it's a lot less painless to take punches in the nose... Even some old school trainers know how to do it with the right equipment...

I'd be interested in finding out more about that one.

I mean if there is a way to avoid additonal breaks and less pain when hit there, hell I guess a flatter nose is better than a crooked one. http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/images/faces/wtf1.gif
:wtf1:

2 times broken is enough for me although there are guys who have had more than I. Oddly some look better than mine and others not.

njbxr
05-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Anyone have any moreinformation about the removal of nose cartiladge to prevent additional breakage? Or know anyone who has had it done?

Does this effect the shape on strength of the nose or what?