View Full Version : Which boxer had the best chin?

Punster
11-25-2005, 10:41 PM
Apologies if this thread already exists.

Who could take the most punishment and keep coming back for more?

I say George Chuvalo and Jerry Quarry are up there on the list. The former never got knocked out and if the latter didn't get cut so easily, he may not have had some of those TKOs.

salsanchezfan
11-25-2005, 11:36 PM
No worries as far as I'm concerned; always a fun topic........besides the ones you've mentioned, I'll add:

Tex Cobb: he withstoof the blasts of Shavers, and 15 rounds of lashing right hands against Holmes without flinching; his chin was awe-inspiring.

Lamotta: His legend speaks for itself.

Ali: Yes, Ali; Look at the plethora of punchers he took bombs from. The chin from hell.

Salvador Sanchez: Took howitzer shots from Lopez, Gomez, and Nelson without even so much as changing the expression on his face. Impervious jaw.

Dempsey 1919
11-25-2005, 11:45 PM
chuvalo, chuvalo, chuvalo, chuvalo! no contest!

http://www.hr/darko/gif/chuvalo.gif

Punster
11-26-2005, 02:14 AM

Ali: Yes, Ali; Look at the plethora of punchers he took bombs from. The chin from hell.

Lamotta was one I was contemplated putting in my post also. The beating he took from Robinson and he still stood up...sorta.

As for Ali. I question that. A good chunk of his fights contained him covering himself up along the ropes. He really didn't take too many clean hits there.

hellfire508
11-26-2005, 03:25 AM
I rank chins with ratings:

10 out of 10:
Chuvalo
LaMotta
McCall
Hagler

9 out of 10:
Frazier
Ali
Marciano

etc etc

Brockton Lip
11-26-2005, 01:16 PM
I'd have to agree with these. Especially LaMotta.

fabulous
11-26-2005, 01:42 PM
Lamotta P4p best chin no doubt.

whatdahieu
11-26-2005, 11:15 PM
hagler, lamotta, chuvalo

Da Iceman
11-27-2005, 09:26 AM
chuvalo, chuvalo, chuvalo, chuvalo! no contest!

http://www.hr/darko/gif/chuvalo.gif
that man never went down, and he took foreman's best shots

VERSION1 (V1)
12-27-2005, 04:17 PM
what about Marvelous Marvin Hagler

Brassangel
12-27-2005, 04:34 PM
Tex Cobb, because he appeared in Ace Ventura, Pet Detective. His character hit the pavement off of a moving car, and even his stunt double didn't get knocked out. That's a tough chin when your stunt double can take a beating too! :lol1:

His fight with Shavers is classic, as told by General Hilarity.

Otherwise, I'd pick Chuvalo, or Hagler.

blockhead
12-28-2005, 03:26 PM
chuvalo and lamatto with nobody else coming close.

leow
12-29-2005, 05:26 PM
David Tua does!

Verstyle
12-29-2005, 05:36 PM
I woulda said ali but the first part of his career he was getting rocked all the time and even knockdowns.

Dynamite76
12-29-2005, 05:40 PM
Mitch Green
Tex Cobb
Marvin Hagler
Bonecrusher Smith

Dynamite76
12-29-2005, 05:41 PM
No worries as far as I'm concerned; always a fun topic........besides the ones you've mentioned, I'll add:

Tex Cobb: he withstoof the blasts of Shavers, and 15 rounds of lashing right hands against Holmes without flinching; his chin was awe-inspiring.

Salvador Sanchez: Took howitzer shots from Lopez, Gomez, and Nelson without even so much as changing the expression on his face. Impervious jaw.

Did Salvador get floored by Juan Escobar?

McGoorty
08-14-2011, 02:11 AM
Lamotta was one I was contemplated putting in my post also. The beating he took from Robinson and he still stood up...sorta.

As for Ali. I question that. A good chunk of his fights contained him covering himself up along the ropes. He really didn't take too many clean hits there.
There are many more too, there is no such thing as the no, 1 chin,.. impossible. Here's a few with THE IMPERVIOUS CHIN... BASILIO, DARCY, GAVILAN, Barney ROSS, Tony ZALE, SADDLER, QUARRY, MARCIANO (give reasons why not), ALI for sure, Battling NELSON, Joe GANS, HAGLER, George KO BROWN, and there are more. A big factor in giving all the above a 10 out of 10 rating, is that they all proved their chins against Dynamite Punchers. But even a 10 chin can seem to fail under savage and sustained attack over the rounds, Ross and Quarry for instance. It took hundreds of punches from Armstrong to stop Ross, but throughout his career Barney took punches from some of the greatest in history,....... I'm done for now but if anybody wants to take me to task, I'm happy to talk about the Bangers that they faced.

McGoorty
08-14-2011, 02:14 AM
chuvalo and lamatto with nobody else coming close.
That's why you're called BLOCKHEAD.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

them_apples
08-14-2011, 02:21 AM
p4p

Hagler

Nobody walks through Hearns and Mugubis punches like he did.

Foreman was another, when he trained he was pretty much bulletproof. He got stopped by Ali because of exhaustion, even in the lyle fight was part exhaustion and just being out of shape.

You can see Foremans chin when he's in shape against Frazier (not even blinking after taking his left hook) and Holyfield in his comeback (getting hit flush with 20 punch combinations).

McGoorty
08-14-2011, 03:23 AM
p4p

Hagler

Foreman was another, when he trained he was pretty much bulletproof. He got stopped by Ali because of exhaustion, even in the lyle fight was part exhaustion and just being out of shape.

You can see Foremans chin when he's in shape against Frazier (not even blinking after taking his left hook) and Holyfield in his comeback (getting hit flush with 20 punch combinations).
If you read my above post, you will see Hagler's name there, and you will note my reasons for not agreeing with you entirely.

McGoorty
08-14-2011, 03:24 AM
p4p

Hagler

If you read my above post, you will see Hagler's name there, and you will note my reasons for not agreeing with you entirely.

SCtrojansbaby
08-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Hector Camacho watch him against Chavez, Rosario, Trinidad and DLH all guys with KO power

McGoorty
08-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Hector Camacho watch him against Chavez, Rosario, Trinidad and DLH all guys with KO power
Hi Pepe..............................lol:ANYWORD:Extr avaganz,<<<< Real fighters>>>>:stooges::Flush::Flush:

ghns1133
08-14-2011, 10:25 PM
hagler....

ive never even seen him really hurt in all his fights.

SCtrojansbaby
08-15-2011, 12:30 AM
hagler....

ive never even seen him really hurt in all his fights.

Hearns hurt Hagler in like the first minute of the fight

BigStereotype
08-15-2011, 12:49 AM

The he sucked it up and beat the **** out Hearns immediately after.

ghns1133
08-15-2011, 01:21 AM

i mean really hurt....

like dropped or legs buckled...

it was a flush right hand from arguably the greatest right hand puncher p4pall time....

and he was only slightly shook and he clinched and well we all know what happend next.

Orochi_Oni
08-15-2011, 03:51 AM
Couldn't possibly argue with any of the boxers already mentioned.

I'd like to add Carlos Monzon to the list. That boy could take a good beating and stay on his feet. Yes, he could be knocked down, but he always carried on as if nothing had happened.

I think Chris Eubank had one of the best chins too.

Barnburner
08-15-2011, 08:21 AM
There are many more too, there is no such thing as the no, 1 chin,.. impossible. Here's a few with THE IMPERVIOUS CHIN... BASILIO, DARCY, GAVILAN, Barney ROSS, Tony ZALE, SADDLER, QUARRY, MARCIANO (give reasons why not), ALI for sure, Battling NELSON, Joe GANS, HAGLER, George KO BROWN, and there are more. A big factor in giving all the above a 10 out of 10 rating, is that they all proved their chins against Dynamite Punchers. But even a 10 chin can seem to fail under savage and sustained attack over the rounds, Ross and Quarry for instance. It took hundreds of punches from Armstrong to stop Ross, but throughout his career Barney took punches from some of the greatest in history,....... I'm done for now but if anybody wants to take me to task, I'm happy to talk about the Bangers that they faced.

How can you say Darcy when he got knocked out in 5 by Hagler?

:banana:

McGoorty
08-15-2011, 09:53 AM
i mean really hurt....

like dropped or legs buckled...

it was a flush right hand from arguably the greatest right hand puncher p4pall time....

and he was only slightly shook and he clinched and well we all know what happend next.
You're way ahead of him mate,...... but then again,... who ain't

McGoorty
08-15-2011, 09:55 AM

Ohhh, Barney !!!!!!!!!!,..... you have lost because of a low blow, and in the first round ??.... Loss by DQ 1.

McGoorty
08-15-2011, 10:01 AM

That must mean you accept that Darcy DID Smash Marvie Baby to the canvas,,,.. That means Darcy IS THE HARDEST Hitter that Halger (you see that SURGEON ??) ever fought,... ........... Darcy HITS HARDER THAN HEARNS, CYBER FACT !!!...... I knew something good would come out of that game,.....................

fitefanSHO
08-15-2011, 10:05 AM
That must mean you accept that Darcy DID Smash Marvie Baby to the canvas,,,.. That means Darcy IS THE HARDEST Hitter that Halger (you see that SURGEON ??) ever fought,... ........... Darcy HITS HARDER THAN HEARNS, CYBER FACT !!!...... I knew something good would come out of that game,.....................

On my blog, I use this picture to highlight the Darcy Knockdown of Hagler.

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/5633/marvinhaglervsjuanroldaiq4.jpg

Barnburner
08-15-2011, 10:14 AM

Ah so it was a slip not a legitimate knockdown then?

fitefanSHO
08-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Ah so it was a slip not a legitimate knockdown then?

No, that's not what I'm implying at all, I just needed a picture that depicts the action described and that one is the best, and pretty much only picture that can be used to describe Hagler getting knocked down (by a white guy) :boxing:

baya
08-15-2011, 10:22 AM
the pocket rocket has my vote.

Barnburner
08-15-2011, 10:23 AM

I know I'm just a Hagler fan being awkward. :lol1: Also

You can use this to highlight the final result.

http://i56.tinypic.com/akv4hh.jpg