View Full Version : Fighters you couldnt imagine being in a streetfight

kendom
02-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Here's an idea for a potentially interesting thread, a lot of boxers come from the streets, however name the fighters you would least expect to see in a streetfight.

I'll get the ball rolling with Alexis Arguello and Joe Louis, too much professionalism and class.

Barnburner
02-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Chris Eubank, guess the posh persona has gotten to me. I couldn't imagine it but, I'm sure he would tear it up in a street fight.

Jersey Joe Walcott's another. Must be his craftiness I just couldn't imagine in a good old fashioned punch up. Again I know he definitely could scrap.

Charlie Zelenoff for obvious reasons.

The Surgeon
02-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Floyd Patterson. Such a nice guy and so timid....

The Surgeon
02-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Chris Eubank, guess the posh persona has gotten to me. I couldn't imagine it but, I'm sure he would tear it up in a street fight.

Jersey Joe Walcott's another. Must be his craftiness I just couldn't imagine in a good old fashioned punch up. Again I know he definitely could scrap.

I was just about to say good pick on Eubank when i remembered a story about him body slamming Naz or something at an airport.....Maybe im wrong its a little fuzzy...???

Obviously with such limited footage on the old school guys they are harder to pick but i just imagine Peerless Jim Driscoll being to classy for street scraping! Something seriously Regal about that man

BigStereotype
02-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Wlad. I feel like he'd be like "I vill kill anyvan I hit so I must control my powers." Not that he's wrong. But he has restraint. If Chisora had spit in my face, I'd have hit him. I don't care that I would have been brutally thugged on. I wouldn't have had any choice. Wlad kept his cool.

The Surgeon
02-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Wlad. I feel like he'd be like "I vill kill anyvan I hit so I must control my powers." Not that he's wrong. But he has restraint. If Chisora had spit in my face, I'd have hit him. I don't care that I would have been brutally thugged on. I wouldn't have had any choice. Wlad kept his cool.

And here's our winner! Cant believe i never said him, the man is class through and through, so dignified. If he didnt plant Del boy for that ***** i dont know what would send him over the edge....

BigStereotype
02-23-2012, 03:12 PM
And here's our winner! Cant believe i never said him, the man is class through and through, so dignified. If he didnt plant Del boy for that ***** i dont know what would send him over the edge....

Have you noticed that he also kind of looks like Dracula when he's mad?

The Surgeon
02-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Have you noticed that he also kind of looks like Dracula when he's mad?

Haha :lol1: err cant say i have but i'll take ur word for it mate

VITALI i can see whipping some ass, really surprised he didnt go for Chisora...

MRBOOMER
02-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Sergio Martinez or pwill I just couldn't see them fighting out side the ring they seem really chill and friendly plus if pwill gets hit to hard again he might start planking again ...

jabsRstiff
02-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Oscar DeLaHoya. Seems more likely to get someone else, or a lawyer, to fight his battles for him.

kendom
02-23-2012, 03:49 PM
oscar delahoya. Seems more likely to get someone else, or a lawyer, to fight his battles for him.

loooooooool

kendom
02-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Floyd Patterson. Such a nice guy and so timid....

Great call on Patterson, such a peaceful looking guy

BigStereotype
02-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Haha :lol1: err cant say i have but i'll take ur word for it mate

VITALI i can see whipping some ass, really surprised he didnt go for Chisora...

I would NEVER step to Vitali, because I'm pretty sure he'd squash me with just a mean look. I feel like you could prod Wlad a little bit and he'd take it, but I wouldn't take the risk with Big V.

jabsRstiff
02-23-2012, 04:05 PM
I would NEVER step to Vitali, because I'm pretty sure he'd squash me with just a mean look. I feel like you could prod Wlad a little bit and he'd take it, but I wouldn't take the risk with Big V.

The Kilits seem like easy going guys, but you'd have to be nuts to take a run at either. First off, they're plain huge, which is already a tough obstacle. Secondly, they are very well trained. The average guy couldn't tackle either one if they tried, so all that would be left is to exchange punches- a horrible proposition.

The Surgeon
02-23-2012, 04:07 PM

There is definitely something "Bond Villain" like about the big man...

jabsRstiff
02-23-2012, 04:11 PM
I can't envision Jean Pascal getting into it outside the ring.

Guys who wear fuscia from shoes to boxing gloves in the ring....aren't going to risk tearing their street clothes.

New England
02-23-2012, 04:48 PM
I was just about to say good pick on Eubank when i remembered a story about him body slamming Naz or something at an airport.....Maybe im wrong its a little fuzzy...???

Obviously with such limited footage on the old school guys they are harder to pick but i just imagine Peerless Jim Driscoll being to classy for street scraping! Something seriously Regal about that man

lol what? :popcorn:

i cant see either klitschko fighting in the streets. maybe vitali in his youth
cant picture marquez in a street fight either. could definitely see his brother in one, though.

martinez, (or campillo for that matter,)

for fighters from the past i cant possible imagine gene tunney in a dust up in the streets

or arguello
or vernon forrest

jaded
02-23-2012, 05:05 PM

cant picture marquez in a street fight either. could definitely see his brother in one, though.

for fighters from the past i cant possible imagine gene tunney in a dust up in the streets

or arguello
or vernon forrest
Vernon went after the guy with his gun drawn who was stealing his car...sadly the thief also had a gun and shot him dead...so I'd have to disagree with you on this one. I wish he'd just let the guy go and call the insurance company who would have paid him for a new car and that would have been the end of the story...but Vernon had to much fight in him to just step back and let it go.

BigStereotype
02-23-2012, 05:05 PM

or arguello
or vernon forrest

The Marquez bros grew up poor in Mexico. They got into their share of fights, believe me. I do agree that Rafa seems way more likely to throw down as of now.

The Surgeon
02-23-2012, 05:15 PM

or arguello
or vernon forrest
Dont hold me to that its very vague but im sure something like that happened! Terry would know... Where has he been hiding these days anyway!?
I think both the Marquez brothers would be happy to engage in street warfare! So much fire there.... Plus they came up hard.

Vitali is pretty hot headed man, i think he'd throw down.

Forrest, jaded already said what i was gonna. But man i cant fault u on that Tunney call, great shout :boxing:

The_Demon
02-23-2012, 05:17 PM

A friend of mines dad (who was a bit of a headcase) saw Eubank in a bar once and asked him what he would do if he kissed him,Eubank replied 'i would stand up and punch you in the face'-he's an odd guy,could imagine him being quite unpredictable

TBear
02-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Emile Griffith and Hector Camacho, though I could imagine Macho instigating a street fight.

The_Demon
02-23-2012, 05:21 PM

He slapped him in the face at the airport if i remember rightly?

In fairness,Naz certainly knew how to wind a guy up,Thompson wanted to kill him in the back of a limo back in 97 aswell

Scott9945
02-23-2012, 05:24 PM

Wladimir said afterwards that showing restraint then was the hardest thing he's ever had to do. If he had cracked Chisora, it would have cost his brother (among others) millions of dollars. And I've never seen WK as animated as he was after the fight. I expect fights between Vitali-Haye and Wladmir-Chisora before the end of this year. The brothers really want them and they'll do what it takes to get them made. Especially WK-Chisora because Vitali will be out of action and Haye is a chickenspit.

The Surgeon
02-23-2012, 05:42 PM

In fairness,Naz certainly knew how to wind a guy up,Thompson wanted to kill him in the back of a limo back in 97 aswell

Thats probably it! Yeah i heard about Thompson too, Naz must have been hard work at times, ****y SOB! :mad:

The_Demon
02-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Thats probably it! Yeah i heard about Thompson too, Naz must have been hard work at times, ****y SOB! :mad:

I love Naz,but he was one arrogant prick,i dont think it was a facade either,like it is with a lot of fighters

Capaedia
02-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Sugar Ray Leonard and Nikolai Valuev.

I just can't picture Sugar Ray Leonard being in a streetfight.

Also I'm fairly sure no-one would ever mess with Valuev.

Naz slapped him at the airport. Eubank didn't hit him back because he was a midget and it "would have been like hitting a child"

The_Demon
02-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Naz slapped him at the airport. Eubank didn't hit him back because he was a midget and it "would have been like hitting a child"

Aw thats right

Such a Eubank thing to say :lol1:

Scott9945
02-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Sugar Ray Leonard and Nikolai Valuev.

I just can't picture Sugar Ray Leonard being in a streetfight.

Also I'm fairly sure no-one would ever mess with Valuev.

I don't know whatever became of it, but I remember Valuev being accused of assaulting a security guard.

nomadman
02-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Kostya Tszyu. I mean I literally cannot imagine this guy ever getting into a scuffle over anything at anytime anywhere. (now someone's going to shame me with tales of his legendary bar brawls in oz)...

BigStereotype
02-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Wladimir said afterwards that showing restraint then was the hardest thing he's ever had to do. If he had cracked Chisora, it would have cost his brother (among others) millions of dollars. And I've never seen WK as animated as he was after the fight. I expect fights between Vitali-Haye and Wladmir-Chisora before the end of this year. The brothers really want them and they'll do what it takes to get them made. Especially WK-Chisora because Vitali will be out of action and Haye is a chickenspit.

Exactly. Wlad showed he was ten times the man Chisora is and he's really locked me up as a fan. Like I said, millions of dollars on the line or no, I probably would have decked Del Boy. You just don't spit in a man's face. And you're right, he was really heated after the fight. I'm salivating at the thought of that matchup, just so I can watch Wlad get KTFO

Scott9945
02-23-2012, 06:57 PM
Exactly. Wlad showed he was ten times the man Chisora is and he's really locked me up as a fan. Like I said, millions of dollars on the line or no, I probably would have decked Del Boy. You just don't spit in a man's face. And you're right, he was really heated after the fight. I'm salivating at the thought of that matchup, just so I can watch Wlad get KTFO

If the fight is actually made, we can definitely revisit that prediction. :)

nomadman
02-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Speaking of Eubank I have a hard time seeing Michael Watson ever having gotten leery outside the ring. He just seemed so mild mannered and professional. Terrible shame what happened to him.

lightsout_finit
02-23-2012, 07:12 PM

or arguello
or vernon forrest

Forrest was the type to get into street fights actually............

New England
02-23-2012, 07:15 PM
andre ward and andre dirrell

ward's religious and i doubt dirrell has a shred of confidence until he gets some boxing gloves on :rofl:
anthony dirrell has a short fuse, lol!
he's always causing a ruckus

Barnburner
02-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Cassius Clay/Ali. He had a big mouth but was as soft as silly putty. I could never see him in a street fight. If he was ever close to one he would run more than he did in the ring.
So soft he takes shots from Foreman and Frazier...

New England
02-23-2012, 07:44 PM
So soft he takes shots from Foreman and Frazier...

seriously

muhammad ali had a great chin.

what is it with people calling him soft?

BigStereotype
02-23-2012, 08:06 PM
If the fight is actually made, we can definitely revisit that prediction. :)

Oh my word, I misspoke so bad. WLAD knocks him the **** out for sure.

Barnburner
02-23-2012, 08:06 PM
yeah and i loved it. look at him now :banana:. not so tough is he? He was a chicken ****e. refused induction in the army among other things. he was more mouth than anything else.
"Chicken" for refusing entry into the army. Oh, so he refused to perform in boxing exhibitions for morale? Wow, bet he was really scared of doing that.

Ali may have had a mouth but he sure as hell backed it up.

Also the Parkinson's comment is despicable and really shows your character.

Ali in his prime would beat Marciano's ass.

BigStereotype
02-23-2012, 08:07 PM
if chisora did that to me I would have fired back and i like my chances. no way would i have let him spit in my face without a return with something.

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/jackie(8).jpg

Barnburner
02-23-2012, 08:08 PM
If Chisora spat on my face I would say thanks and hope that's the end of it. :lol1:

nomadman
02-23-2012, 08:12 PM
Mikkel Kessler. That dude seems chill as heck.

BigStereotype
02-23-2012, 08:20 PM
"Chicken" for refusing entry into the army. Oh, so he refused to perform in boxing exhibitions for morale? Wow, bet he was really scared of doing that.

Ali may have had a mouth but he sure as hell backed it up.

Also the Parkinson's comment is despicable and really shows your character.

Zing!

It's on now :lol1:

Scott9945
02-23-2012, 08:37 PM
if chisora did that to me I would have fired back and i like my chances. no way would i have let him spit in my face without a return with something.

I like your chances. Of going to the ER with a broken face and internal bleeding. Clown.

Scott9945
02-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Oh my word, I misspoke so bad. WLAD knocks him the **** out for sure.

Consider it forgotten...

Capaedia
02-23-2012, 10:15 PM

The Ali that Frazier beat, beats Marciano

The Surgeon
02-24-2012, 01:49 AM
Kostya Tszyu. I mean I literally cannot imagine this guy ever getting into a scuffle over anything at anytime anywhere. (now someone's going to shame me with tales of his legendary bar brawls in oz)...

Zoo was a classy cat but i can defo see him getting into some drunken bar room brawls down under like a scene from Crocodile Dundee or something!

God i hope someone has some stories!!!

The Surgeon
02-24-2012, 01:52 AM

ward's religious and i doubt dirrell has a shred of confidence until he gets some boxing gloves on :rofl:

Fantastic call on Andre Ward, he is so controlled and smart i couldnt see it. Very Calm and level headed man, his religious side also hints that he wouldnt be getting into street fights

BigStereotype
02-24-2012, 02:39 AM

If you were drunk, would you be able to stop making fun of that rat tail?

MANIAC310
02-24-2012, 03:09 AM
Nikolai Valuev

J-Smooth
02-24-2012, 03:37 AM
joe calzaghe.........

mickey malone
02-24-2012, 05:02 AM
Nikolai Valuev
Lol, he'd have knocked over a few drinks in his time, so maybe..!?

Superflo777
02-24-2012, 05:59 AM
I could imagine Lennox getting whopped in a street fight. He got wrestled to the ground by Rahman and I don't think he could defend himself that good without boxing rules.

jabsRstiff
02-24-2012, 07:37 AM

Sit down, young man.

IronDanHamza
02-24-2012, 08:47 AM
Willie Pastrano strikes me as someone who would be useless in a street fight.

He apparently used to run from street fights a as a kid but he Dad allegedly forced him to fight kids on the street.

Either way, I can't see Pastrano being a guy who would brawl with a guy on the street.

kendom
02-24-2012, 10:29 AM

Oh yeah Andre Ward my new favourite current fighter, could never imagine him in a streetfight, just so religious and classy.

lightsout_finit
02-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Nikolai Valuev

Valuev beat up a small old man security guard a few years back......

I remember finding it funny at the time becuase Valuev inflicted close to no damage, despite being so big and a pro boxer........

:)

New England
02-24-2012, 03:29 PM
gypsy john fury

clean as a whistle, that one

wmute
02-24-2012, 03:31 PM
If you were drunk, would you be able to stop making fun of that rat tail?

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BigStereotype again.

GrandpaBernard
02-24-2012, 05:16 PM
Oscar DeLaHoya. Seems more likely to get someone else, or a lawyer, to fight his battles for him.

manny pacquiao because he actually is doing this

PAC-BOY
02-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Floyd Mayweather....

Barnburner
02-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Floyd Mayweather....
Floyd is a mean bastard when he wants to be. He would be able to scrap no problem at all. Would probably destroy Pacman in a street fight. Pacquiao will be too busy cheating on his wife or gambling while Floyd kicks the **** out of him.

The Surgeon
02-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Floyd is a mean bastard when he wants to be. He would be able to scrap no problem at all. Would probably destroy Pacman in a street fight. Pacquiao will be too busy cheating on his wife or gambling while Floyd kicks the **** out of him.

Floyd could scrap id think, he had a fight with 50cent once...

Pacman would hammer him in a street fight though

New England
02-24-2012, 06:49 PM

manny was a Philippine street kid. i'm sure he scrapped out of necessity in his youth. i'm sure there are very few fighter who never scrapped in the streets or fought as youth. i can only think of very few. i know martinez said in an interview that he was a passive kid and never fought.

on pacquiao: like many rich/famous and powerful people i'm sure he would be very unlikely to engage in a fight. however, if you somehow got a shot on him (say a sucker punch,) i have no doubt he would smash you back with a combination before he even thought about it.

back in the day (circa 1923,) chisora and haye would have finished their beef outside of a british pub :boxing:

F l i c k e r
02-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Marciano.

Just seemed like too nice of a guy.

Barnburner
02-24-2012, 07:53 PM

I was aiming for a reaction, I wasn't being serious. :)

The Surgeon
02-25-2012, 03:50 AM
Marciano.

What about that bar fight he had when still a young army lad, laid out some big guy in a pub and was advised to be a boxer? Or is that just some story ive heard somewhere!?
I also heard Al Weill slapped him hard across the face and shouted at him with no hostile reaction back from Rocky...

The Surgeon
02-25-2012, 03:52 AM
I was aiming for a reaction, I wasn't being serious. :)

OH... :o

Hadnt noticed WHO u were replying to! :doh:

#1Assassin
02-25-2012, 05:09 AM
I could imagine Lennox getting whopped in a street fight. He got wrestled to the ground by Rahman and I don't think he could defend himself that good without boxing rules.

lewis was a notorious street fighter growing up, in fact thats why his mom sent him to canada. but he kept it up there too, until he started boxing.

rahman ofcourse was the same way but in a worse way. still he only took lewis down cuz he wasnt expecting it and he couldnt do anything to him anyways. i think lewis.. scratch that.. i KNOW lewis could handle himself in a streetfight. maybe not on the same level as mike tyson, sonny liston, george foreman etc but not far behind.

ellobo
02-25-2012, 02:36 PM
back in the day (circa 1923,) chisora and haye would have finished their beef outside of a british pub :boxing:

How times have changed...

game20ver
02-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Muhammad Ali, was he ever in a street fight outside the ABC television studio, where Joe Frazier jumped on him?

Scott9945
02-26-2012, 09:41 PM
Muhammad Ali, was he ever in a street fight outside the ABC television studio, where Joe Frazier jumped on him?

Ali did have a weakness for women, but generally avoided the bar and club scenes. Once he acquired an entourage you couldn't get anywhere near him if you were menacing.

Someone88
02-28-2012, 09:58 AM

Zoo was a classy cat but i can defo see him getting into some drunken bar room brawls down under like a scene from Crocodile Dundee or something!

God i hope someone has some stories!!!

I've read Tszyu's book and he said the only fight he had outside of the ring was against a Doctor who disrespected him and his Wife, he only hit him a few times he dropped left him with a busted up face then left the guy Lol it's funny of all the people to get into a fight with a Dr.

Tszyu is a very classy respectful guy I knew someone who lived near him he said he was nice

Someone88
02-28-2012, 09:59 AM

Fantastic call on Andre Ward, he is so controlled and smart i couldnt see it. Very Calm and level headed man, his religious side also hints that he wouldnt be getting into street fights

I agree about Ward, Vitali and Wladimir all class and respectful guys

Someone88
02-28-2012, 10:02 AM

I agree

manny was a Philippine street kid. i'm sure
he scrapped out of necessity in his youth. i'm sure there are very few fighter who never scrapped in the streets or fought as youth. i can only think of very few. i know martinez said in an interview that he was a passive kid and never fought.

on pacquiao: like many rich/famous and powerful people i'm sure he would be very unlikely to engage in a fight. however, if you somehow got a shot on him (say a sucker punch,) i have no doubt he would smash you back with a combination before he even thought about it.

Martinez I agree about, also Tua and Pacquiao have fought on the streets but they needed to it was different they are nice guys

Marciano.

I read a story about him getting called out to fight by some drunk guy all Marciano said was let's just have a drink together the guy got embarrassed so yep Marciano was that nice

New England
02-28-2012, 10:12 AM
steven luevano

The_Demon
02-28-2012, 12:44 PM
lewis was a notorious street fighter growing up, in fact thats why his mom sent him to canada. but he kept it up there too, until he started boxing.

rahman ofcourse was the same way but in a worse way. still he only took lewis down cuz he wasnt expecting it and he couldnt do anything to him anyways. i think lewis.. scratch that.. i KNOW lewis could handle himself in a streetfight. maybe not on the same level as mike tyson, sonny liston, george foreman etc but not far behind.

It would take an incredibly brave and/or stupid guy to start a street fight with Lewis,however relaxed he may seem out of the ring

The Surgeon
02-28-2012, 04:42 PM
It would take an incredibly brave and/or stupid guy to start a street fight with Lewis,however relaxed he may seem out of the ring

I dont think he would be a natural "Fighter" like say a Tyson or a Liston but at that size and with that amount of strength and power i sure wouldnt wanna try my chances with him!

Barnburner
02-28-2012, 04:48 PM
I dont think he would be a natural "Fighter" like say a Tyson or a Liston but at that size and with that amount of strength and power i sure wouldnt wanna try my chances with him!
He's probably the perfect height for a d1ckpunch.

The Surgeon
02-28-2012, 04:56 PM
He's probably the perfect height for a d1ckpunch.

Lol it would be one big shot then leg it as fast as i could for me! I dont think i could survive a hard glare from Sonny or Mike though

The_Demon
02-28-2012, 04:58 PM

I agree,he doesnt have that 'animal' about him like Tyson and Liston,but if he hit you,its goodnight vienna,and i think it would be a few days before you came back around! same could be said for any top heavyweight in fairness

zab191
03-03-2012, 02:36 PM
A Mere Con because he would act all gangsta then at the slightest hint of danger he would start running.

Dynamite76
04-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Greg Page and Tony Tucker, too nice of guys for that stuff.

McGoorty
04-14-2012, 03:56 AM
Here's an idea for a potentially interesting thread, a lot of boxers come from the streets, however name the fighters you would least expect to see in a streetfight.

I'll get the ball rolling with Alexis Arguello and Joe Louis, too much professionalism and class.
Joe Louis is a good pick, he would refuse a streetfight, Luckily for the other guy, Joe would have cleaned up the streets if he had the inclination. There have been many fighters from th 90's on who would have been far less successful in streetfights, I think all the Mr/ Slicks who cruised their way to many points victories wouldnt make good streetfighters, nothing like a KO artist when it comes to the street.

Anthony342
04-14-2012, 04:21 AM
Even a trained boxer would have to be crazy to get into a street fight. I mean, in the ring you have a mouthpiece, hand wraps and gloves and none of that on the street. One punch connects and a guy could break his hand or lose a tooth. Plus you have one minutes breaks after a 3 minute round.

Someone was telling me some quote from Ali where he was asked when he was active if someone challenged him on the street, what would he do and he said he's run, probably because of the reasons I just mentioned. I think Ali said because anyone that wants to fight on the streets has to be crazy and he wouldn't want to mess with that or something. Is this true or someone's shoddy memory relaying an untrue story to me?

RINGG
04-14-2012, 04:58 AM
I couldn't imagine Hector Camacho or Amir Khan in a streetfight, not because they are nice guys, just because they are far from rugged.