View Full Version : P4P Underrated Punchers

The Surgeon
02-21-2012, 11:37 AM
We have had some threads on who the best and heaviest punchers are but im curious who people think are some of the most Underrated Punchers?

I'll get the ball rolling and throw out a couple in

Evander Holyfield

&

Jersey Joe Walcott

Hitman Hodgson
02-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Chris Eubank, Clazaghe (pre hand problems), Frankie Randall. Evander is probably my pick though as well.

jabsRstiff
02-21-2012, 12:48 PM
When I see lists of the best punchers made I always notice the omission of a guy who recorded a number of one punch KOs and turnaround KOs-

Michael Carbajal

Barn
02-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Ray Leonard.
Marvin Hagler.
Ezzard Charles.
Pipino Cuevas.

them_apples
02-21-2012, 01:17 PM
We have had some threads on who the best and heaviest punchers are but im curious who people think are some of the most Underrated Punchers?

I'll get the ball rolling and throw out a couple in

Evander Holyfield

&

Jersey Joe Walcott

good picks for sure

I'll add:

Ray Leonard (on this forum at least)

Juan Manuel Marquez (everyone he's connected with he's hurt)

them_apples
02-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Ray Leonard.
Marvin Hagler.
Ezzard Charles.
Pipino Cuevas.

who underrated cuevas' power? I certainly don't. Maybe as a fighter he's underrated but most people know he can bang.

New England
02-21-2012, 01:30 PM
gene tunney

benny leonard

early period vitali klistchko (go watch him BEAT THE TRUCK out of kirk johnson,)

Cloud
02-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Ray Leonard is very underrated I have found. People think he was just a dancer but he could bang and pretty fast.

MRBOOMER
02-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Pernell whitaker

The Surgeon
02-21-2012, 03:01 PM
gene tunney

benny leonard

early period vitali klistchko (go watch him BEAT THE TRUCK out of kirk johnson,)

I always found Vitali a touch, just a touch OVERrated until recent years, people now seem to have the measure of his power. Least thats my take

The Surgeon
02-21-2012, 03:04 PM
good picks for sure

I'll add:

Ray Leonard (on this forum at least)

Juan Manuel Marquez (everyone he's connected with he's hurt)

Excellent picks mate, hey they dont call him "Dinamita" for nothing he is a BANGER
Pac man sure respects his power for one....

The Surgeon
02-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Ray Leonard.
Marvin Hagler.
Ezzard Charles.
Pipino Cuevas.

Totally agree on Hagler (for people who actually understand him as the fighter he was anyway, some think he was a mini Mike Tyson...)

Gonna have to disagree on Cuevas though, i havent heard anyone say anything but WOW when it comes to his power....

Barn
02-21-2012, 04:19 PM
who underrated cuevas' power? I certainly don't. Maybe as a fighter he's underrated but most people know he can bang.
Don't see him mentioned that often, probably hard to remember as he wasn't quite an ATG.

Barn
02-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Pernell whitaker
Good pick...

The Surgeon
02-21-2012, 04:35 PM
How about Ali? I dont think he is a Banger by any stretch of the imagination but he hit harder than given credit for, ask Brian London....

Barn
02-21-2012, 04:53 PM
How about Ali? I dont think he is a Banger by any stretch of the imagination but he hit harder than given credit for, ask Brian London....
Definitely.

Gavilan? His record doesn't match his power. Check 9:55 of this fight.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9c6CQkjj0AM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Capaedia
02-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr. at lower weights.

IronDanHamza
02-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Harold Johnson.

New England
02-21-2012, 06:11 PM
I always found Vitali a touch, just a touch OVERrated until recent years, people now seem to have the measure of his power. Least thats my take

i'd say today that he doesnt have a rep of a huge puncher and doesnt deserve it

his hands and joints are weak and he doesnt really set his feet and turn the punches over. doesnt bend his knees. doesnt really keep his weight where he can transfer it, he'd really just look to move around the ring with big steps.

back in his day however he had a huge right hand
just a huge punch.

people forget it. that's why i think it's underrated personally

he throws two real straight right hands in this entire fight with real extension and leverage. the others he loops a bit and uses his hand more than his knuckles (a bit like he throws them today,)

both through the guard, both during the finish.

that's huge punch. he hasn't hit like that since the layoff
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Mb3L-Jx_GX4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

about :50 of the second he lands his first real right hand. before that he's looping it (mostly around the guard / over a jab.) here he throws it straight, it lands through the guard, and johnson goes down.
the second one comes at :20 or :19 of the round, and he goes down even quicker after it lands.

that's a very natural and hard right hand in my eyes with a ton of leverage.

many people around here do overrated his power, especially today, so i can see what you mean. i think it's because of how many knockouts he has. he hardly uses his knuckles today, and basically exhausts his opponents into giving up or selling out and being broken down.

nomadman
02-21-2012, 06:22 PM
At heavyweight I definitely think Evander gets a bit shortchanged. Recorded Mercer's first ever KD, stopped Tyson, badly stunned Foreman and was just generally a very sharp and dangerous puncher. Briggs and McCline were both huge punchers when they wanted to be. Danny Williams and Lamon Brewster had underrated power. Williams several time turned big fights around with one or two good shots, even knocked out a guy one handed.

New England
02-21-2012, 06:24 PM
At heavyweight I definitely think Evander gets a bit shortchanged. Recorded Mercer's first ever KD, stopped Tyson, badly stunned Foreman and was just generally a very sharp and dangerous puncher. Briggs and McCline were both huge punchers when they wanted to be. Danny Williams and Lamon Brewster had underrated power. Williams several time turned big fights around with one or two good shots, even knocked out a guy one handed.

williams and my man brewster could both flippin bang and are unsung warriors.

nomadman
02-21-2012, 06:30 PM
back in his day however he had a huge right hand
just a huge punch.

people forget it. that's why i think it's underrated personally

he throws two real straight right hands in this entire fight with real extension and leverage. the others he loops a bit and uses his hand more than his knuckles (a bit like he throws them today,)

both through the guard, both during the finish.

that's huge punch. he hasn't hit like that since before his layoff

Just out of interest, which fight were you referring to here?

many people around here do overrated his power, especially today, so i can see what you mean. i think it's because of how many knockouts he has. he hardly uses his knuckles today, and basically exhausts his opponents into giving up or selling out and being broken down.

Vit throws a weird looking right hand now, kind of like how Maskaev used to throw his with the elbow bent up toward the ceiling. Almost like doing an overhand stroke in the front crawl. Don't know if it's age or technique or compensation for something but it really doesn't pack as much of a wallop as the old one.

nomadman
02-21-2012, 06:31 PM
williams and my man brewster could both flippin bang and are unsung warriors.

Definitely!

New England
02-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Just out of interest, which fight were you referring to here?

Vit throws a weird looking right hand now, kind of like how Maskaev used to throw his with the elbow bent up toward the ceiling. Almost like doing an overhand stroke in the front crawl. Don't know if it's age or technique or compensation for something but it really doesn't pack as much of a wallop as the old one.

lol my bad i meant to edit it and put the clip in there and i kept forgettting the damn video :rofl:

kirk johnson
it's up there now.

two huge right hands with some mustard on them down the center

nomadman
02-21-2012, 06:41 PM
I've got to say, Ricky Hatton rarely gets mentioned as a big puncher. At 140 he was a beast, tremendously explosive and capable of pounding fighters' bodies to pulp. He broke four of Castillo's ribs with a single shot, had Tszyu moving back under his relentless onslaught for eleven rounds and knocked out the tough Carlos Maussa with one of the nastiest left hooks I've seen. Not the greatest 140lb puncher in the world I grant you, but worthy of a mention I think. Judah was another very good one punch puncher at welterweight.

Barn
02-21-2012, 06:42 PM
lol my bad i meant to edit it and put the clip in there and i kept forgettting the damn video :rofl:

kirk johnson
it's up there now.

can't beat a long hard right with a bit of mustard on it can you

nomadman
02-21-2012, 06:46 PM

kirk johnson
it's up there now.

I remember that. The last right hand looked like it impaled Kirk right in the face, it was just a nasty shot. Gotta mention the Herbie Hide fight as well. Hide's chin was pretty crap to be fair, but Vit looked like he knocked him into a coma with his shots. That wasn't something Bowe was able to do over six rounds despite knocking Hide down about a half dozen times.

nomadman
02-21-2012, 06:58 PM
These guys were mentioned in another thread and I don't know if they'd be considered underrated or just little known, but both Wayne Alexander and Ezra Sellers had some of the best one shot power for their divisions that I can recall.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lnLDaoKvGRw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tWC7aJUa52w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Plenty of quotes from other fighters to back up their power as well.

The Surgeon
02-22-2012, 02:13 AM

Danny Williams DESPITE KO'ing my man Tyson will always be a hero of mine ever since he smashed Mark Potter to defeat with a dislocated shoulder and after climbing off the canvas himself - Warrior! Excellent pick to btw as is Ricky Hatton :boxing:

Cloud
02-22-2012, 03:59 AM
Yeah, I'll never forget how Danny smashed Potter with his major arm problem.

Heart of a lion.

He got wrecked by Vitali but he kept getting up.

mickey malone
02-22-2012, 06:14 AM
Dare i say it, but Hector Camacho could be considered an underrated puncher (or very economical with what power he did have)

And two British fighters who i often watched as a kid have just come to mind..

Terry Downes and John H Stracey, who both imo were underrated punchers.

Honourable mention to Colin Jones aswell.. ''Jones the punch!''

New England
02-22-2012, 12:26 PM
outside of boxing his power is overrated, but i'd say among boxing people joe frazier's power has started to get underrated. he had an awesome left hook that held its power throughout the fight.

The Surgeon
02-22-2012, 02:52 PM
outside of boxing his power is overrated, but i'd say among boxing people joe frazier's power has started to get underrated. he had an awesome left hook that held its power throughout the fight.

Yeah there is definitely truth to that bro, good shout

New England
02-22-2012, 03:26 PM
These guys were mentioned in another thread and I don't know if they'd be considered underrated or just little known, but both Wayne Alexander and Ezra Sellers had some of the best one shot power for their divisions that I can recall.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lnLDaoKvGRw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tWC7aJUa52w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Plenty of quotes from other fighters to back up their power as well.

shazbot! what a wild fight.

The Surgeon
02-22-2012, 04:10 PM
shazbot! what a wild fight.

Woah, u know a fights good when u have to pull out a word like that to describe it! lol :boxing:

nomadman
02-22-2012, 05:47 PM

Not to take the thread too off topic but I'll also add Tyson to the mix. Now no one's ever going to call Tyson an underrated puncher in the grand scheme of things, and you'll still hear plenty of people singing his praises, but among more hardcore fans I feel his one shot power tends to get undervalued when compared to other historically well-regarded punchers like Foreman, Liston, Shavers, Baer etc. If he hit anyone flush chances are they were likely to go down, or at least get seriously rocked. That's pretty phenomenal and something I can't really say for any other fighter barring maybe Tua, and that was limited to his left hook.

Like I said, not underrated as a puncher, but underrated as a truly top-level puncher.

Barn
02-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Not to take the thread too off topic but I'll also add Tyson to the mix. Now no one's ever going to call Tyson an underrated puncher in the grand scheme of things, and you'll still hear plenty of people singing his praises, but among more hardcore fans I feel his one shot power tends to get undervalued when compared to other historically well-regarded punchers like Foreman, Liston, Shavers, Baer etc. If he hit anyone flush chances are they were likely to go down, or at least get seriously rocked. That's pretty phenomenal and something I can't really say for any other fighter barring maybe Tua, and that was limited to his left hook.

Like I said, not underrated as a puncher, but underrated as a truly top-level puncher.
Agreed, I think he punches harder than Liston and Baer of the names you mentioned. 10x more effective than Shavers however shot for shot I'll go with the Acorn.

House of Stone
02-22-2012, 07:41 PM
The person that for me has always stood out as having greatly underrated power is Sugar Ray Leonard.

Cardinal Buck
02-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Teddy Reid
James Page
Casamayor
Roy Jones
Tarver
Holyfield
Paul Williams

Valuev actually has some good knockouts. The only problem is that guys would have to stand right in front of him without moving for the right hand to connect.

nomadman
02-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Valuev actually has some good knockouts. The only problem is that guys would have to stand right in front of him without moving for the right hand to connect.

Who was it that he knocked out just by sticking his arm in front of him causing the guy to do a somersault on the floor? Barrett?

On the subject of slavic heavyweights, I've heard from several people that Vladimir Virchis possessed phenomenal punching power. I haven't seen enough of his fights to judge so does anyone know if this is true?

Cardinal Buck
02-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Yeah, I was thinking of the Barrett knockout.

The only Virches fight I've seen was of him getting schooled by Gomez, which probably isn't the best barometer.

nomadman
02-22-2012, 09:24 PM
Yeah same, and the Taras Bidenko fight. He looks like an old school stocky mofo in the Oleg Maskaev mold though, so I wouldn't be surprised if he could crack a bit.

Scott9945
02-22-2012, 10:08 PM
Teddy Reid
James Page
Casamayor
Roy Jones
Tarver
Holyfield
Paul Williams

Teddy Reid is a nice sleeper choice. Just an average fighter, but he could really hit.

The Surgeon
02-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Hmmm James Toney?

Always looked at as an old school stylist but the man could whack as Michael Nunn can testify! Lights OUT! :boxing:

jabsRstiff
02-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Ray Leonard's pretty boy persona and the way he fought Duran (2nd fight) and Hagler....lead many of the more ignorant fight fans to think the guy couldn't punch. His early KOs, a lot of them were great- especially over Andy Price. His KO of Davey "Boy" Green is a classic, and his power helped him take out bigger guys like Kalule and LaLonde. He also landed a great left hook on Kevin Howard in his '84 comeback fight.....it was a fight he wasn't looking too good in.

nomadman
02-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Definitely agree on Leonard and Toney.