View Full Version : Tyson vs Douglas judge cards

CarlosG815
02-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Does anybody know what the judges scores were up until the knockout?

Ziggy Stardust
02-19-2012, 03:01 PM

Larry Rozadilla 82-88 for Douglas
Ken Morita 87-86 for Tyson
Masakazu Uchida 86-86 Even

Only Rozadilla had it right.

Poet

Barn
02-19-2012, 03:09 PM
88-82 - Douglas
87-86 - Tyson
86-86 - Even

http://www.fightsaga.com/Fights/item/844-Tyson-vs-Douglas

Barn
02-19-2012, 03:10 PM

Poet
Quick on the trigger there Poet.

Ziggy Stardust
02-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Quick on the trigger there Poet.

I have the 411 on speed dial :cool9:

Barn
02-19-2012, 03:17 PM
I have the 411 on speed dial :cool9:
Learned a new bit of slang from urban dictionary today! :lol1:

CarlosG815
02-19-2012, 04:49 PM

Poet

Wow that is really pathetic. With the recent string of bad judging lately I was just curious as to what the scores were in this Don King production.

Sad to think that had he not gotten knocked out he'd have probably won.

Sugarj
02-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Yes Douglas was in for a real points screwing were it not for the knockout. Remember that the round 8 Tyson knockdown probably caught him up a touch in the scoring, but even that said Douglas should have been up at least 4 points.

Another fight where I thought the scoring seemed a little screwy was Ali vs Foreman. Foreman was in for a screwing there if the fight was to have gone to decision.

Barn
02-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Yes Douglas was in for a real points screwing were it not for the knockout. Remember that the round 8 Tyson knockdown probably caught him up a touch in the scoring, but even that said Douglas should have been up at least 4 points.

Another fight where I thought the scoring seemed a little screwy was Ali vs Foreman. Foreman was in for a screwing there if the fight was to have gone to decision.
I thought Ali was winning the fight.

Sugarj
02-19-2012, 06:17 PM
Wow that is really pathetic. With the recent string of bad judging lately I was just curious as to what the scores were in this Don King production.

Sad to think that had he not gotten knocked out he'd have probably won.

Sad in one way, but not necessarily for the fans or for Douglas's pocket. If Tyson got a decision, there would have been an outcry for a rematch and Douglas would have earned a fortune compared to what he recieved for defending against Holyfield.

Granted, Douglas would have probably lost the return..........then fans would have been treated to Tyson vs Holyfield in something like their primes.

Sugarj
02-19-2012, 06:22 PM

I'd agree too, however.......two judges and the ref cumulatively only scored 3 rounds between them to Foreman.

One judge gave Foreman 2 rounds, one judge 1 round and the other judge zero rounds. Which to my eyes was shocking. Foreman was going to be screwed if that fight went to decision.

Ali was ahead..........but nothing like that dominant.

crold1
02-19-2012, 06:32 PM

Foreman-Ali is one of the more overrated fights ever, Great performance but for the most part it was a master schooling. Ali was letting him whale to the body and then tatooing him all night. Ali won most of the rounds.

Scott9945
02-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Foreman-Ali is one of the more overrated fights ever, Great performance but for the most part it was a master schooling. Ali was letting him whale to the body and then tatooing him all night. Ali won most of the rounds.

I watched that fight live (on closed circuit) and my immediate impression was that Foreman just gassed out. But everytime I've seen that fight since, the more dominant Ali looks. And if I had any bias about this fight it was over 30 years ago.

Clegg
02-23-2012, 05:01 AM
Sad in one way, but not necessarily for the fans or for Douglas's pocket. If Tyson got a decision, there would have been an outcry for a rematch and Douglas would have earned a fortune compared to what he recieved for defending against Holyfield.

Granted, Douglas would have probably lost the return..........then fans would have been treated to Tyson vs Holyfield in something like their primes.

I suppose we'll never know, but had he been screwed on the cards I don't think he would've gotten an immediate rematch. Maybe down the line if he looked bad enough.

House of Stone
02-23-2012, 05:11 AM
the fight is no longer fresh in my mind but i think after 9 rounds I had given 2 rounds to mike

Sugarj
02-23-2012, 07:22 AM
I suppose we'll never know, but had he been screwed on the cards I don't think he would've gotten an immediate rematch. Maybe down the line if he looked bad enough.

Well, when Tyson vs Ruddock 1 was ended controversially, Tyson was only too happy to rematch him in his very next fight.

If Tyson got a gift decision against Buster, I like to think he'd have rematched him straight away.

Oh well......its all in the past now.

TBear
02-23-2012, 06:25 PM
The cards on the fight were not as funny as the fact that King tried to get the sanctioning organzations to strip Douglas soon after the fight.

jaded
02-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Douglas got a break in the 8th when he was knocked down with the count. A lot of referees would have called that a KO.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gHcbFUTIslI?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gHcbFUTIslI?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Ziggy Stardust
02-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Douglas got a break in the 8th when he was knocked down with the count. A lot of referees would have called that a KO.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gHcbFUTIslI?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gHcbFUTIslI?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Only if they were idiots.

crold1
02-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Well, when Tyson vs Ruddock 1 was ended controversially, Tyson was only too happy to rematch him in his very next fight.

If Tyson got a gift decision against Buster, I like to think he'd have rematched him straight away.

Oh well......its all in the past now.

He couldn't have. He was already signed for a June 90 clash with Holy. Take Douglas, and the strippings would have started. Holy was across the board mando and had been awhile.

CarlosG815
02-24-2012, 12:34 AM

I wouldn't call that a break. He was up before the count of 10 and was totally coherent. Had the ref started his count a couple of seconds earlier, he'd have still gotten up in time because he was aware of the count and had no problem getting up.

Tyson on the other hand was barely standing at the end of the 8th and when he went down in the 10th he was done.

jaded
02-24-2012, 12:41 AM
I wouldn't call that a break. He was up before the count of 10 and was totally coherent. Had the ref started his count a couple of seconds earlier, he'd have still gotten up in time because he was aware of the count and had no problem getting up.

Tyson on the other hand was barely standing at the end of the 8th and when he went down in the 10th he was done.

Watch it again....he's up on the count of 10...but note that the ref is a bit late to get to the downed fighter by a second. When the ref is counting 1...I'm seeing it as 2.

I'm not commentating on Tyson being KO'd...but it might have not gotten that far if the count started when Douglas went down is what I am saying.

crold1
02-24-2012, 01:24 AM
Watch it again....he's up on the count of 10...but note that the ref is a bit late to get to the downed fighter by a second. When the ref is counting 1...I'm seeing it as 2.

I'm not commentating on Tyson being KO'd...but it might have not gotten that far if the count started when Douglas went down is what I am saying.

Ten counts rarely start the moment a fighter hits deck. It's a count. Not an exact science. Pay close attention; in most fights, the count is a second or two off of where the impact occurred. It was made an issue where there was none. Douglas was chilling, clear headed, waiting for the ref to give him the # he wanted. That was as normal a count as there is.

Ziggy Stardust
02-24-2012, 01:53 AM
Bottom line is the a KO is when the ref's count reaches ten NOT when ten seconds elapse.

Poet

Sugarj
02-24-2012, 08:33 AM
He couldn't have. He was already signed for a June 90 clash with Holy. Take Douglas, and the strippings would have started. Holy was across the board mando and had been awhile.

Ah, I didn't know he was signed already for Holyfield. Just that it was in the pipeline.

jaded
02-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Ten counts rarely start the moment a fighter hits deck. It's a count. Not an exact science. Pay close attention; in most fights, the count is a second or two off of where the impact occurred. It was made an issue where there was none. Douglas was chilling, clear headed, waiting for the ref to give him the # he wanted. That was as normal a count as there is.

I agree...what I'm saying is considering how different ref's make different calls...it wouldn't be the 1st time that I would have seen a ref call that type of thing a KO...especially with the favoured cash cow champion is involved. I'm sure you have seen such calls in the past yourself. But I'm not disputing the call...but I wouldn't have been overly surprised to seen it called a KO.

crold1
02-24-2012, 11:57 PM
Ah, I didn't know he was signed already for Holyfield. Just that it was in the pipeline.

I'd have to check to make sure signed is 100% but the date, site etc. were all in place. A Douglas return would have had to come after Holy or the whole thing would have gone to court and strippings.

And then the rematch wouldn't have mattered after Holy won. ;)

crold1
02-24-2012, 11:58 PM
I agree...what I'm saying is considering how different ref's make different calls...it wouldn't be the 1st time that I would have seen a ref call that type of thing a KO...especially with the favoured cash cow champion is involved. I'm sure you have seen such calls in the past yourself. But I'm not disputing the call...but I wouldn't have been overly surprised to seen it called a KO.

I see what you mean. They could have called a cheap stop. The referee being competent and not completely corrupt was a bonus then.

IronDanHamza
02-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Had the ref let Tyson carry on, his was once punch from going straight back down anyway.

The right man won, that night.

As much as I hate to say it. Still, to this very day, all these years later, I still can't believe Douglas beat Mike Tyson.

Without any question the most shocked I've ever been, ever.

Barn
02-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Had the ref let Tyson carry on, his was once punch from going straight back down anyway.

The right man won, that night.

As much as I hate to say it. Still, to this very day, all these years later, I still can't believe Douglas beat Mike Tyson.

Without any question the most shocked I've ever been, ever.
Would have been weird watching it, can only imagine.

Hands of Iron
02-26-2012, 08:31 PM

July 22, 1991
LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE
Richard O'Brien

The news broke last week in a flurry of headlines and hastily assembled composite photographs—a scowling Evander Holyfield pasted beside a glaring Mike Tyson. The big bout is on: Nov. 8, Caesars Palace, Las Vegas, heavyweight champion Holyfield versus No. 1 contender and former champ Tyson. The numbers are suitably colossal—a projected $100 million gross, with a guarantee of $30 million for Holyfield and $15 million for Tyson—and so is the anticipation. Already the papers are full of comparisons to Ali-Frazier I in 1971.
Yet, come November, the two fighters will be hard pressed to match the infighting that went on last week as their promoters, lawyers and retainers squirmed and maneuvered to forge a deal. The cast that gathered in midtown Manhattan to negotiate the terms of the bout included virtually all the biggest names—and egos—in the fight business. At stake was money and power. For the two boxers the stakes were far simpler. Tyson craves Holyfield's title, and though Holyfield wears the crown, only by beating Tyson can the champion earn the respect to which he feels he's entitled. Fittingly, the two boxers' determination to meet is the primary reason the fight was finally scheduled.

Mintcar923
03-04-2012, 11:12 PM
I can relate to a feeling as though you were dreaming if you had seen Tyson-Douglas on Feb 10, 1990. But, I could understand if you'd think another ref would've stopped it when Douglas got up late in the count. He didn't seem horribly hurt but he did have a discouraged look on his face as though he didn't want to go on. That minute rest appeared to have helped him more than people know...

slickfox
03-05-2012, 12:00 AM
douglas was knocked out in the 8th....he was down for like 14 seconds the ref had an insanely slow count.

Hands of Iron
03-05-2012, 06:43 AM
Douglas only did what Lewis probably shouldve done against McCall if he wasnt truly stopped: Regain compure and listen to the count to prevent being completely disoriented, ****faced and wobbly. Lewis shouldve known better in against DKP. Douglas did.