View Full Version : RIP Mike Bernardo...

kaps
02-14-2012, 01:24 PM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/2hyRN-rsvH4?version=3&feature=player_embedded"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/2hyRN-rsvH4?version=3&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Michael "Mike" Bernardo (born 28 July 1969) is a South African former kickboxer and boxer from Cape Town. Bernardo is known as Beru-chan in Japan, where he has taken part in K-1 World GPs since 1994. He holds notable wins over Mirko Filipovi?, Andy Hug, Francisco Filho, Branco Cikatic, and 3 straight wins over K-1 legend Peter Aerts.

He made his K-1 debut in K-1 World GP 1995 Opening against Andy Hug. Since then he participated in 5 World Grand Prix Finals, achieving the biggest success in 1996. He reached the final but lost to Hug via spining low kick KO.

On New Year's Eve of 2004, Bernardo was going to face Nigerian fighter and Japanese-TV personality Bobby Ologun in "K1-Dynamite!" but couldn't take part in the event due to an injury and retired from K-1.

ƒallenloki
02-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Damn man...

Bad news everywhere today

kaps
02-14-2012, 01:49 PM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ij_wVubqqjw?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ij_wVubqqjw?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Blackfoot
02-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Some power he had in those hands, man.. Wouldn't ever want to step across from Bernardo

RIP

New England
02-14-2012, 02:21 PM
that;s a name i have not heard in a really long time

bernardo was in some great fights

brings me back to like 98. downloading virus filled clips and rounds of k-1 fights.

RIP

any news on what happened to him? i just popped on the bscene and saw the headline.

kaps
02-14-2012, 02:25 PM
No details yet....

Blackfoot
02-14-2012, 04:03 PM
In 2000, he gave a prime Cro Cop a lesson about leg kicks, that was awesome.

Damn, this one really sucks.

BKM-2010
02-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Terrible news. He had a great rivalry against Peter Aerts as they both beat eachother senseless. He had a lot of great fights. He's a legend.

New England
02-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Terrible news. He had a great rivalry against Peter Aerts as they both beat eachother senseless. He had a lot of great fights. He's a legend.

his lights went out a lot

both of them, actually

you've got to think that guys in that sport are going to feel the effects down the line

its a brutal sport (especially when they get into the grand prix stage.)

BKM-2010
02-15-2012, 02:58 PM
his lights went out a lot

both of them, actually

you've got to think that guys in that sport are going to feel the effects down the line

its a brutal sport (especially when they get into the grand prix stage.)

I can already see Peter's speech changing a lot. He's slurring so much I can barely even understand him in Dutch anymore. But I think these guys were willing to make these sacrifices, like I said they're legends now and will always be remembered by fight fans.

teds
02-15-2012, 08:08 PM
that sucks

Cloud
02-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Very depressed right now. I was only thinking about this legendary fighter the other day.

The Passing of Mike Barnardo

On behalf of the family of Mike Barnardo I would like officially announce his passing on the morning of 14th of February 2012 at his home in Muizenberg Cape Town.

A very special thanks to Mr Ishii from K1 Japan, Fuji Television, Joe Mellilo, his friends and K1 fans in Japan and all over the world. The times Mike spent fighting in Japan were undoubtedly the happiest moments in his life.

Mike was very grateful for the opportunity Mr Ishii granted him as an unknown fighter from South Africa and with the K1 platform he became world renown and respected fighter. Mr Ishii took a personal interest in Mike spending hours with him in the gym working on his kicking and blocking technique, Mr Ishii instilled the Japanese fighting spirit in Mike and for this he was always grateful and honoured. Mike fell in love with Japan and its people and was hearted by the way K1 fans adopted him as one of their own, being more famous and loved there than in his own country. A great personal highlight for him was visiting the grave of Japanese Samurai Musashi.

After Mike***8217;s fighting career he studied and qualified as a clinical psychologist and had a practice in Lakeside Cape Town where he offered trauma and addiction counseling with troubled youth. He also started a promotional company with his old trainer Steve Kalakoda called "BOMA-YE All African Mixed Martial Arts" Boma-ye - All African Mixed Martial Arts which created a platform for young up and coming African fighters. He was always passionate about creating opportunities for younger fighters and would inspire them to follow their dreams.

The last two years of Mike***8217;s life he battled deep depression and anxiety.

On the 14 February 2012, Mike took his own life at his home in Muizenberg. His remains were found by his family in his apartment shortly after his passing.

Rest in Peace Beru-Chan

Steve Kalakoda

Rest In Peace Mike Bernardo.

I could cry to be honest. He could probably take alot of todays talent in the kickboxing world. Plus he had a decent enough boxing career.

kaps
02-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Damn he killed himself?

BKM-2010
02-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Just so tragic. The question remains why he was so deeply depressed.

Cloud
02-17-2012, 04:24 AM
Just so tragic. The question remains why he was so deeply depressed.

I hope this isn't another tragedy related to head trauma. Goodridges dementia was diagnosed so recently. Bernardo has been knocked out quite a few times.

Chris Benoit went crazy due to all the head trauma he experienced during his career. Several NFL players experienced depression due to concussions. The following website also lists depression as one of many symptoms that can occur from concussions:

http://suicide.org/depression-and-suicide.html

EDIT - Link Is Working Now.

BKM-2010
02-17-2012, 02:12 PM
I think you're on to something there.

KingOne
02-17-2012, 02:17 PM
R.I.P.! I'll never forget the two fights against my man andy hug. Still honored to attend those fights in the 90's, tough, tough dude..

merker
02-17-2012, 11:25 PM
Shocked to read of his death but even more shocked by the way it happened.

Bernardo was one mean fighter in the ring, which made his fights very exciting. Did he have children?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-EYmTD72SiXc/TztKgN2KZhI/AAAAAAAAAQI/OG0iok2N0XM/s1600/Boxing1.jpg