them_apples
02-10-2012, 01:51 AM
Jerry Quarry vs Henry Cooper

What do you think? both fights who's the winners

Ziggy Stardust
02-10-2012, 02:07 AM

Williams - Lyle is pick 'em, Quarry - Cooper is Quarry all the way.

Poet

Scott9945
02-10-2012, 02:15 AM
Williams - Lyle is pick 'em, Quarry - Cooper is Quarry all the way.

Poet

Agree 100%. Quarry would bust up Cooper bigtime.

The Surgeon
02-10-2012, 03:01 AM
I think Lyle swamps Williams and gets a KO, never really rated Big Cat....

Quarry destroys Cooper

them_apples
02-10-2012, 03:51 AM
big cat hit HELLA hard. Might not have had the best chin, but either did Lyle.

Cooper in an underated boxer I would not be so quick to write him off. His jab was clean and sharp.

DarkTerror88
02-14-2012, 01:21 AM
Williams has the slight advantage in power, Lyle the slight advantage in durability. Lyle was a bit faster, more skilled with better basic fundamentals and better stamina.

In an all out war with small advantages in chin and power canceling each other out. Lyle has the intangibles and other advantages that give him the edge in a fan friendly fight.

Lyle KO 5 Williams.

Cooper hit harder and had a better jab, but quarry was faster, had better defense and was game himself. I think Jerry has the tools to dominate Ol Enry at both their peaks. Quarry was just such a fluid versatile guy that he can beat. Most contenders and even some champions. Quarry wide UD 15 or 12.

TheGreatA
02-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Williams has the slight advantage in power, Lyle the slight advantage in durability. Lyle was a bit faster, more skilled with better basic fundamentals and better stamina.

In an all out war with small advantages in chin and power canceling each other out. Lyle has the intangibles and other advantages that give him the edge in a fan friendly fight.

Lyle KO 5 Williams.

Cooper hit harder and had a better jab, but quarry was faster, had better defense and was game himself. I think Jerry has the tools to dominate Ol Enry at both their peaks. Quarry was just such a fluid versatile guy that he can beat. Most contenders and even some champions. Quarry wide UD 15 or 12.

I'd give Williams the speed advantage over Lyle.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wWbpM99wD2M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

New England
02-14-2012, 11:29 AM
I'd give Williams the speed advantage over Lyle.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wWbpM99wD2M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

supremely gifted athlete

still leaning with toward lyle

kayo in five, six, maybe seven rounds

quarry via corner // doctor stoppage today
or via old fashioned beatdown if it happened 50 years ago

for the purposes of the discussion this was the only tale of the tape i could find for williams on short notice
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2009/11/20/1225800/889286-1966-how-muhammad-ali-and-cleveland-williams-mat-6492739-jpg.jpg

them_apples
02-14-2012, 05:20 PM
supremely gifted athlete

still leaning with toward lyle

kayo in five, six, maybe seven rounds

quarry via corner // doctor stoppage today
or via old fashioned beatdown if it happened 50 years ago

for the purposes of the discussion this was the only tale of the tape i could find for williams on short notice
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2009/11/20/1225800/889286-1966-how-muhammad-ali-and-cleveland-williams-mat-6492739-jpg.jpg

that tale of the tape is wrong. Williams is 6'4 minimum 6'3. I mean look at him vs Ali. Foreman also said Williams was one of the hardest hitters he ever faced, as did Ali. That and just about everyone knows Ali's reach was 80.

MRBOOMER
02-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Never seen to many sonny fights but from watching that I didn't know he was able to impose his will so well and get to where he need to be.

But from that I don't see this all time great jab I see a jab that was excellent for getting him in to range and platoon but not so much for scoring or damage
Like a Holmes or Ali jab but I've not seen all of sonny and there are different ways to to label a all time great jab so idk

Capaedia
02-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Never seen to many sonny fights but from watching that I didn't know he was able to impose his will so well and get to where he need to be.

But from that I don't see this all time great jab I see a jab that was excellent for getting him in to range and platoon but not so much for scoring or damage
Like a Holmes or Ali jab but I've not seen all of sonny and there are different ways to to label a all time great jab so idk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYA4qt-LBmA&feature=player_detailpage#t=112s

Ignore the commentator, that's a jab.

New England
02-14-2012, 06:20 PM
that tale of the tape is wrong. Williams is 6'4 minimum 6'3. I mean look at him vs Ali. Foreman also said Williams was one of the hardest hitters he ever faced, as did Ali. That and just about everyone knows Ali's reach was 80.

take it up with whoever did the measurements

i was not alive

Tiozzo
02-14-2012, 07:10 PM

Cooper vs Quarry : battle of the bleeders

Cooper was a very good fighter

I give it to Quarry because Cooper was a more notorious bleeder, TKO 6 or 7

Williams wins the first few rounds, Lyle survives, than Lyle starts to do damage

Lyle by stoppage in 8

them_apples
02-16-2012, 01:45 AM

Sonny Liston was a beast most people only have seen him vs Ali.

There was a reason Ali was so scared of Liston. Liston smashed everyone.