View Full Version : Fighters you picked to be great, and you were wrong...

wmute
02-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Post fighters you thought would be great but just came up short to your expectations.

Hopefully this did not happen only ti me, my latest big mistake was

Jorge Linares (I seeing he was getting hit too much, but I probably hoped that he had a really hard chin, just because I had not seen anyone *great* coming up in while I really wanted someone to be great)

My first one, (when I was a kid), was probably

Donald Curry

talip bin osman
02-09-2012, 09:27 AM
ricardo mayorga and jermaine taylor...

Funky_Monk
02-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Audley Harrison, I wouldn't say I picked him but definately thought he would go further after the olympics.

PAC-BOY
02-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Im never wrong! :D

Cloud
02-09-2012, 09:50 AM
I never thought he would be a great but I always thought David Lemieux would be successful and possibly very successful.

Despite that, I am still a fan and will always be a fan.

mickey malone
02-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Too many to mention.....

Mike Dokes
Don Curry
Ray Mancini
Yory Boy Campas
Errol Christie
Herol Graham

BattlingNelson
02-09-2012, 10:21 AM
I thought Mark Breland was the second coming of Ray Robinson. :(

The Surgeon
02-09-2012, 11:45 AM
I think Scott Quigg is the UK's next great fighter..... Even after that scare last week. Maybe its a sign im wrong about him though.

I thought Fernando Vargas and Joan Guzman were gonna be Greats.

El Feroz was a high profile big name fighter who beat Winky and Quartey, took on Mosley twice, Oscar and Tito among others but i thought he would have had a better record vs the best and lasted longer in the game. Weight making, a bad back and Felix Trinidad ruined him

Guzman is the biggest waste of talent i have ever seen, id have had him favourite over guys like Pacman and Valero at one point, he looked special and could have been the MAN in various weight divisions along with being a PPV and P4P star. Instead the lazy bastard lets his weight go, doesnt lock down any big fights of note and fails to capitalise on his ability. Disgusting

The Surgeon
02-09-2012, 11:47 AM
I never thought he would be a great but I always thought David Lemieux would be successful and possibly very successful.

Despite that, I am still a fan and will always be a fan.

He's been a massive disappointment i thought he was DYNAMITE and he had the world at his feet, big let down. I still like him though, gotta love a puncher!

goblin213
02-09-2012, 11:53 AM
I really thought Tim Austin was going to be a p4p atg.

joseph5620
02-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Post fighters you thought would be great but just came up short to your expectations.

Jorge Linares (I seeing he was getting hit too much, but I probably hoped that he had a really hard chin, just because I had not seen anyone *great* coming up in while I really wanted someone to be great)

My first one, (when I was a kid), was probably

Donald Curry

Zab Judah. He came up way short. Victor Ortiz too but he can still redeem himself unlike Zab.

New England
02-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Zab Judah. He came up way short. Victor Ortiz too but he can still redeem himself unlike Zab.

judah is a good one

i thought edwin valero was going to be a great fighter as well so long as he stayed below WW. the best i've ever seen him look is in sparring matches, but the guy had some great moves and serious talent. i wasnt huge on the power, i was big on the other things he did well.

i thought jermain taylor was going to be the next big thing, but it never turned out that way.

meldrick taylor

david tua (he ran into a pretty good HW era, to his credit.)

Ike ibeabuchi (ran into himself)

celestino caballero too. at 122 and even 126 i thought he could have been the goods.

Emon723
02-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Riddick Bowe, when he won the heavyweight title from Holyfield in 1992, i've thought he's gonna beat all of them.

Lennox Lewis
Ray Mercer
Michael Moorer
Tommy Morrison
Mike Tyson

but he never fought any of them, instead Bowe would have a short career.

El.Naranjito707
02-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Juan Diaz...I had high hopes for him. He is a likeable guy. First time I rooted against him though was against the great http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Floyd+Mayweather+Jr+v+Juan+Manuel+Marquez+bPGM4054 PeAl.jpg

Flo_Raiden
02-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Michael Nunn and Meldrick Taylor had the talents to be great, unfortunately they both ran into 2 future ATG fighters in James Toney and Julio Cesar Chavez.

Ziggy Stardust
02-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Herol Graham (still love Herol though)
Meldrick Taylor
Jermaine Taylor

wmute
02-09-2012, 05:52 PM
I m shocked so many ppl thought so highly of Jermain Taylor. Likeable guy, excellent athlete, but it was always clear that he was well basically... somehow he was not a fighter. I did pick him to beat Hopkins first time around though. I think anyone who saw Hopkins-Eastman should have been of the same opinion, but I think I was in the minority at the time. But he did disappoint my already low expectations in the Ouma and Spinks fights... just terrible stuff.

wmute
02-09-2012, 05:53 PM

Oh if only Mayorga had discipline and a trainer...

wmute
02-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Michael Nunn and Meldrick Taylor had the talents to be great, unfortunately they both ran into 2 future ATG fighters in James Toney and Julio Cesar Chavez.

Word is Michael Nunn ran into coke and that was his first problem. And yeah of course finding Toney in your division is not exactly a good thing :-) but boy did he have it all (almost).

Mel looked like he was going to be the **** at the time I think to pretty much everyone, but in hindsight you can see the flaws even in his best performances. Did not catch them at the time, which is not surprising considering i was a kid, but no one around me did either.

wmute
02-09-2012, 06:01 PM
I think Scott Quigg is the UK's next great fighter..... Even after that scare last week. Maybe its a sign im wrong about him though.

I thought Fernando Vargas and Joan Guzman were gonna be Greats.

El Feroz was a high profile big name fighter who beat Winky and Quartey, took on Mosley twice, Oscar and Tito among others but i thought he would have had a better record vs the best and lasted longer in the game. Weight making, a bad back and Felix Trinidad ruined him

Guzman is the biggest waste of talent i have ever seen, id have had him favourite over guys like Pacman and Valero at one point, he looked special and could have been the MAN in various weight divisions along with being a PPV and P4P star. Instead the lazy bastard lets his weight go, doesnt lock down any big fights of note and fails to capitalise on his ability. Disgusting

Vargas was a train wreck waiting to happen, but Guzman yeah me too. I remember telling my friends about him "**** Valero, this here is the guy to look at"... and then the idiots starts failing to make weight...

Cupo303
02-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Allen "sweetness" Green. I thought he would be a great one, especially at 168 but he faded fast after that beasty Codrington KO.

New England
02-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Word is Michael Nunn ran into coke and that was his first problem. And yeah of course finding Toney in your division is not exactly a good thing :-) but boy did he have it all (almost).

Mel looked like he was going to be the **** at the time I think to pretty much everyone, but in hindsight you can see the flaws even in his best performances. Did not catch them at the time, which is not surprising considering i was a kid, but no one around me did either.

man i'm thinking about adding to my ignore list as well.

more harm than good comes from NSB
more harm than good.

i wouldnt even think michael nunn was real if he came into the divsion at MW today with all that size and fluidity
same with toney, to be fair. toney looked like he came from a time machine straight out of 1955

New England
02-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Allen "sweetness" Green. I thought he would be a great one, especially at 168 but he faded fast after that beasty Codrington KO.

that was a frightening knockout
man green could punch

and then he fought miranda who hit him so hard he had to check and to make sure his feet were still there

Ziggy Stardust
02-09-2012, 06:12 PM

more harm than good.

i wouldnt even think michael nunn was real if he came into the divsion at MW today with all that size and fluidity
same with toney, to be fair. toney looked like he came from a time machine straight out of 1955

Yeah, did you catch the last couple of posts in that thread? Burner proves Floyd ISN'T the most well-rounded but claims he proved the inverse......then Brother Jays sez AMEN BROTHER TESTIFY! :hahahaha9:

I swear it would actually be funny if it wasn't so sad.....

Poet

New England
02-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Yeah, did you catch the last couple of posts in that thread? Burner proves Floyd ISN'T the most well-rounded but claims he proved the inverse......then Brother Jays sez AMEN BROTHER TESTIFY! :hahahaha9:

I swear it would actually be funny if it wasn't so sad.....

Poet

i did. contemplated going there. glad that i didnt.
finally showed some self control and came in here to see what was good in the neighborhood.

Ziggy Stardust
02-09-2012, 06:30 PM
i did. contemplated going there. glad that i didnt.
finally showed some self control and came in here to see what was good in the neighborhood.

Yeah, sometimes it does seem pointless to point out that the post essentially contradicted itself.

What I think is that the entire thread shows the "nuthugger" mentality......They have no clue what "well-rounded" means and they don't care: All they know is that it's being used complimentary and if there are compliments being handed out then there boy is the bestest ever at it. And they'll twist the meaning of everything until terms mean their opposite so that they can force those terms to conform to the fighter they're nuthugging :hahahaha9:

I'd be willing to bet if you made a thread talking about the hardest ever puncher from Featherweight to Welterweight those same nuthuggers would try and twist what "hardest ever puncher" means to get it to fit Floyd :hahahaha9:

Poet

New England
02-09-2012, 06:39 PM
Yeah, sometimes it does seem pointless to point out that the post essentially contradicted itself.

What I think is that the entire thread shows the "nuthugger" mentality......They have no clue what "well-rounded" means and they don't care: All they know is that it's being used complimentary and if there are compliments being handed out then there boy is the bestest ever at it. And they'll twist the meaning of everything until terms mean their opposite so that they can force those terms to conform to the fighter they're nuthugging :hahahaha9:

I'd be willing to bet if you made a thread talking about the hardest ever puncher from Featherweight to Welterweight those same nuthuggers would try and twist what "hardest ever puncher" means to get it to fit Floyd :hahahaha9:

Poet

that guy (brother jay) was literally following my posts around and looking for something to make him feel good about himself

sometimes you've got to wonder about the people on the other end of these keyboards
and question if they are all there.

i'm half expecting to see him show up here at any minute, lol!
maybe i've made a typo or error in grammar he can point out!

Ziggy Stardust
02-09-2012, 06:42 PM
that guy (brother jay) was literally following my posts around and looking for something to make him feel good about himself

sometimes you've got to wonder about the people on the other end of these keyboards
and question if they are all there.

i'm half expecting to see him show up here at any minute, lol!
maybe i've made a typo or error in grammar he can point out!

Bring him in! I got no problems watching him get pwned in here by people who actually know WTF they're talking about :boxing:

Poet

New England
02-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Bring him in! I got no problems watching him get pwned in here by people who actually know WTF they're talking about :boxing:

Poet

you wont hear me complaining, lol
i love fresh meat

until jab banishes him it will be great for laughs

the history section needs a good trolling once in a while

you might be able to keep your dignity in the eyes of the NSB saying stuff like "hearns is as well rounded as paul williams, and hagler as well rounded as joe frazier,"
but here you'll leave feeling shame

them_apples
02-09-2012, 06:57 PM

jermain taylor for sure.

juanma lopez isnt done yet but getting beat by salido surprised me.

Ziggy Stardust
02-09-2012, 06:58 PM
you might be able to keep your dignity in the eyes of the NSB saying stuff like "hearns is as well rounded as paul williams, and hagler as well rounded as joe frazier,"

That was almost as good as "Sam Peter is a bigger better version of Joe Frazier" from a while back :hahahaha9:

Poet

New England
02-09-2012, 06:59 PM
jermain taylor for sure.

making a leap here obviously
but i think he's all done

too big for FW
too easy to tag for LW
no money at 130

New England
02-09-2012, 07:00 PM
That was almost as good as "Sam Peter is a bigger better version of Joe Frazier" from a while back :hahahaha9:

Poet

christ

that's really selling an ATG like peter very short :boxing:

them_apples
02-09-2012, 07:02 PM

Poet

lmao good point.

A hard punch is only "hard" if it connects flush. Floyd has amazing accuracy so chances are he's probably landing harder than many of the so called "power punchers"...just kidding.....;)

Ziggy Stardust
02-09-2012, 07:04 PM
lmao good point.

A hard punch is only "hard" if it connects flush. Floyd has amazing accuracy to chances are he's probably landing harder than many of the so called "power punchers"...just kidding.....;)

:hahahaha9: :hahahaha9: :hahahaha9:

Ziggy Stardust
02-09-2012, 07:04 PM
christ

that's really selling an ATG like peter very short :boxing:

hehehehehe

Scott9945
02-09-2012, 09:36 PM
I thought Alex Ramos would be something special. And I bought into Bojado as well. :pat:

wmute
02-10-2012, 02:43 AM

Sigh me too... I got so suckered in. The guy seemed to have it all. Except for having the brains of a bacteria.

The_Demon
02-10-2012, 04:10 AM
I thought Herbie Hide was going to do a lot better than he did,he had all the tools apart from a solid chin,which was accentuated by fighting above his natural weight class for most of his career,i can understand his reasons for doing so though

TBear
02-10-2012, 04:52 AM
Don Curry, sure he made it pretty far, but with the right mindset he might have gone quite a bit further.

Riddick Bowe, see above.

Thread Stealer
02-10-2012, 05:45 AM
Zab Fu*king Judah

bojangles1987
02-10-2012, 06:28 AM
I didn't really pick either to be great, but I was shocked to see both Taylor and Pavlik fall off so hard and so fast. After 10 years or so of having one man recognized as the best fighter in the division, having the two guys that came after be such flashes was crazy.

While he still has a chance, at one point I was completely sold on Chad Dawson.

wmute
02-10-2012, 06:45 AM

judah is a good one

i thought edwin valero was going to be a great fighter as well so long as he stayed below WW. the best i've ever seen him look is in sparring matches, but the guy had some great moves and serious talent. i wasnt huge on the power, i was big on the other things he did well.

i thought jermain taylor was going to be the next big thing, but it never turned out that way.

meldrick taylor

celestino caballero too. at 122 and even 126 i thought he could have been the goods.

Herol Graham (still love Herol though)
Meldrick Taylor
Jermaine Taylor

jermain taylor for sure.

I didn't really pick either to be great, but I was shocked to see both Taylor and Pavlik fall off so hard and so fast. After 10 years or so of having one man recognized as the best fighter in the division, having the two guys that came after be such flashes was crazy.

OK now you guys make me think I was wrong in being right. I never saw anything special in JT... what did I miss? bojangles I agree with you on one thing. Taylor did manage to surprise me negatively in those 2 fights I mentioned.

wmute
02-10-2012, 08:23 AM

more harm than good.

The solution is staying the f-ck out of nsb. Every time I step in there my ignore list gets fatter.

And yes 160 was packed with talent around that time. McCallum was there too. Kalambay was a pretty sweet fighter too.

And the brits!

You don't have to say anything about Toney. To me he is the most natural fighter since Roberto Duran (at least!). Literally born to fight. Out of modern fighters, toney is the one I watch more often when I have a few mins free, youtube available, and I want to see some boxing.

New England
02-10-2012, 08:57 AM
OK now you guys make me think I was wrong in being right. I never saw anything special in JT... what did I miss? bojangles I agree with you on one thing. Taylor did manage to surprise me negatively in those 2 fights I mentioned.

in my eyes he had a ton of flaws that all looked like they could be corrected. obviously i was wrong. his style actually devolved. he never became a crafty boxer.

with all of his talent outside of those flaws, i thought he would be very hard to beat if he ever improved his craft a bit and plugged all the holes in his game

word is that jermain has never been motivated in the gym and at the dinner table (evidenced by the fact that he's looking to return to the MW division, and weighed about 163 for his recent "comeback" fight)

he was also a very likeable guy who was enjoying a huge push from HBO
i thought he was going to be a star // staple of the game

i was in college when he became the MW champion, and i really identified with the kid.

T.Horton
02-10-2012, 09:49 AM
The most glaring: I told all my boys that Tokumbo Olajide would be the next Roy Jones Jr. just before his fight with the Colombian fellow who nearly decapitated him. :rofl:

T.Horton
02-10-2012, 09:51 AM
word is that jermain has never been motivated in the gym and at the dinner table do you mean that he wasn't much of an eater?

JAB5239
02-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Eddie Hopson

The Surgeon
02-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Juanma Lopez someone said, couldnt agree more. He has time to turn things around but i doubt he does..... I'l enjoy watching him swing away as he tries though

talip bin osman
02-11-2012, 12:20 AM

the rawness was there, a lot of potential that just needs some polishing... (or so i thought)... i felt that with a watchful eye of a good trainer, those looping hands and defensive lapses will be remedied upon...

those hopkins fights though he won, never really felt satisfying for me as a hopeful fan...:)

Einstien
02-11-2012, 12:26 AM
Kermit Cintron and Paul Williams

C.Y.
02-11-2012, 12:27 AM
Jermaine Taylor, Joan Guzman, I thought David Reid was going to be really good too. Andre Dirrell, but he still has time.

IronDanHamza
02-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Roger Mayweather.

Then again, Roger was pretty good.

Just not as good as I thought he would be.

-Hyperion-
02-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Cristian Mijares....i was already high on him but after he beat Jose Navarro, i thought he would be great...that performance is so good.....in his very next fight he started looking bad in my eyes, and it only went downhill....even in his most recognized win(vs Alexander Munoz) i saw signs of his style changing for the worst, and Vic Darchinyan proved that right....

Chad Dawson still has time to redeem himself and im still high on him...but that loss to Pascal was so fuc.king pathetic for someone i held in such high regard...

wmute
02-12-2012, 04:02 AM
Cristian Mijares....i was already high on him but after he beat Jose Navarro, i thought he would be great...that performance is so good.....in his very next fight he started looking bad in my eyes, and it only went downhill....even in his most recognized win(vs Alexander Munoz) i saw signs of his style changing for the worst, and Vic Darchinyan proved that right....

Chad Dawson still has time to redeem himself and im still high on him...but that loss to Pascal was so fuc.king pathetic for someone i held in such high regard...

oh **** mijares... how could i forget. I took a friend to see the darchinyan fight live we got good seats too, telling him watch the master tame the bull or some **** like that... on the other hand the eastern european guy Dirrell was fighting on the undercard had a hell of a chin.

wmute
02-12-2012, 04:16 AM
btw Judah fooled me twice. After the second Spinks fight I thought "ok this idiot finally found focus in the gym and in the ring"... of course he then goes on to lose to Baldomir (which was bad per se and also because it created the basis for Baldomir-Mayweather)

LennoXX
02-12-2012, 05:57 AM
I thought Jeff Lacy was going to be "the next big thing", but I was really disappointed with his performance against past-his-prime Roy Jones in 2009. Then he lost to Dhafir Smith, and since then I do not think he will ever "rise" again.

pacquiaovmosley
02-12-2012, 07:06 AM
Francisco Bojado and Edwin Valero

SBleeder
02-12-2012, 08:14 AM
I thought Hank Lundy would end up as an ATG... he hasn't risen to as high a level as I thought.

New England
02-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Roger Mayweather.

Then again, Roger was pretty good.

Just not as good as I thought he would be.

if you combine floyd sr's skills and speed
roger's dynamite punching
and jeff mayweather's clean living sensibilities:

you got a pretty damn good fighter

man, the talent really didnt get passed along to jeff mayweather

New England
02-12-2012, 10:32 AM
btw Judah fooled me twice. After the second Spinks fight I thought "ok this idiot finally found focus in the gym and in the ring"... of course he then goes on to lose to Baldomir (which was bad per se and also because it created the basis for Baldomir-Mayweather)

LOL

i'm pretty sure george bush has a gem of a quote out there along those lines

judah conned everybody

PureBoxingCEO
02-13-2012, 06:45 PM
Miguel Cotto
Jermain Taylor
Juanma Lopez
Arthur Abraham

Emon723
02-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Larry Donald, when he defeated Jeremy Williams, who was coming off KO streaks, I thought he's gonna crowded the heavyweight divisions top names. at first I didnt like the idea of Bowe fighting this unbeaten boxer.

Donald wont lose for the next seven years but he never get a title shot, and his second loss was as disappointing performance to Kirk Johnson, he finally got to beat a legend, Evander Holyfield at 42.

Emon723
02-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Francisco Bojado and Edwin Valero

Bojado was being build up similarly to Miguel Cotto, but this boxer didnt lived up to the hype.

catalinul
02-14-2012, 07:35 AM
Larry Donald, when he defeated Jeremy Williams, who was coming off KO streaks, I thought he's gonna crowded the heavyweight divisions top names. at first I didnt like the idea of Bowe fighting this unbeaten boxer.

Donald wont lose for the next seven years but he never get a title shot, and his second loss was as disappointing performance to Kirk Johnson, he finally got to beat a legend, Evander Holyfield at 42.

Donald also had a good performance against Valuev at age 38 and past his best by quite a while.

Truth is I thought he beat Valuev easier than Haye or Holyfield.

Scott9945
02-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Donald also had a good performance against Valuev at age 38 and past his best by quite a while.

Truth is I thought he beat Valuev easier than Haye or Holyfield.

That was an absolute robbery. It should have been Valuev's first loss.

dchampishere
02-16-2012, 06:47 PM
The most glaring: I told all my boys that Tokumbo Olajide would be the next Roy Jones Jr. just before his fight with the Colombian fellow who nearly decapitated him. :rofl:
hahaha for sure! i forgot all about Tokumbo Olajide i loved to watch him fight! so smooth with power for sure the next roy!! I asked his old trainer eddie mustafa muhammad what happned to him and he said after he got stopped he just said f*ck it. and Zab what god- given talent. and i did not see his rise but Bruce Seldon also what a jab that guy had.

SCtrojansbaby
02-19-2012, 02:35 PM
David Reid was absolutely ruined by Trinidad I thought he was going to be a superstar

Marchegiano
02-19-2012, 03:31 PM
judah is a good one

meldrick taylor

Tua/Ike- me too

House of Stone
02-19-2012, 08:18 PM
herbie hide ... until riddick bowe cracked his china

Spungus X
02-20-2012, 12:14 AM
Donald Curry
Michael Olajide
Mark Breland
Larry Donald
Ike Ibeabuchi
Edwin Valero
Juan Manuel Lopez

#1Assassin
02-20-2012, 04:57 AM
idk about great but i thought yusuf mack and jaidon codrington would be relatively big names, world champions for sure. turned out not to be.

Spungus X
02-23-2012, 10:51 AM
How did I forget Mike Tyson?

New England
02-23-2012, 11:01 AM
How did I forget Mike Tyson?

mike tyson was pretty damn great

not what he could have been without basically imploding, but a great fighter none the less.

The Surgeon
02-23-2012, 11:44 AM
idk about great but i thought yusuf mack and jaidon codrington would be relatively big names, world champions for sure. turned out not to be.

I totally agree on Cordington i thought he could have really been something, a world champ of sorts at the very very least.... Still like him despite his now apparent flaws though and that Sakio Bika fight is one of my very favourites

Whats The Don doing these days? Havent heard of him in a minute

Scott9945
02-23-2012, 12:33 PM
mike tyson was pretty damn great

not what he could have been without basically imploding, but a great fighter none the less.

Agreed. You can't win that many title fights and make the kind of money Mike did and be considered an underachiever. It's not a disappointment if you aren't considered the greatest heavyweight ever.

Barn
02-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Agreed. You can't win that many title fights and make the kind of money Mike did and be considered an underachiever. It's not a disappointment if you aren't considered the greatest heavyweight ever.
9 defences of the undisputed title isn't bad at all.

The Surgeon
02-23-2012, 02:59 PM
It's not a disappointment if you aren't considered the greatest heavyweight ever.

I think in Tyson's case some will definitely feel that way though. As great as he was, and i think he was, he didnt quite fulfill his potential but that is a mark of how massive his potential was rather than how little he did....

jabsRstiff
02-23-2012, 03:59 PM
I know he's in the Hall of Fame and did have a tremendous career, but.......I am not sure Edwin Rosario was actually a great fighter or not. He certainly looked like he was going to be, but (to me) fell really short of expectations.

Scott9945
02-23-2012, 05:07 PM
I know he's in the Hall of Fame and did have a tremendous career, but.......I am not sure Edwin Rosario was actually a great fighter or not. He certainly looked like he was going to be, but (to me) fell really short of expectations.

I remember seeing Rosario at about 122 as a teenager and thinking he'd be a phenom. He definitely had more upside than he showed.

Scott9945
02-23-2012, 05:10 PM
I think in Tyson's case some will definitely feel that way though. As great as he was, and i think he was, he didnt quite fulfill his potential but that is a mark of how massive his potential was rather than how little he did....

It's difficult to categorize. A few people have listed Valero and Ibeabuchi, and neither of them ever lost a pro fight. Depends on whether you define this as in ring or out of ring.

savorduhflavor
02-24-2012, 11:58 AM

I think Dawson is still the goods. He beats Hopkins he's right back on top, and I think he will.

I definitely think he'll beat Pascal in the rematch.

jabsRstiff
02-24-2012, 12:23 PM
It's difficult to categorize. A few people have listed Valero and Ibeabuchi, and neither of them ever lost a pro fight. Depends on whether you define this as in ring or out of ring.

Ike woulda been great. Valero was overrated and would have been exposed when he attempted to face the elites.

But, I don't think either fits into what this thread is about. They had their careers cut short by life outside the ring...and this is about guys who fell apart or didn't pan out.

#1Assassin
02-24-2012, 01:10 PM
I totally agree on Cordington i thought he could have really been something, a world champ of sorts at the very very least.... Still like him despite his now apparent flaws though and that Sakio Bika fight is one of my very favourites

Whats The Don doing these days? Havent heard of him in a minute

last i heard he hadnt fought in 2-3 years (counting from now), but that was almost a year ago as well so he might have fought again since. at that point he only had two fights since the bika loss, both wins but against terrible oposition.

so idk if hes still fighting or if hes retired. if hes fighting its probably the same kind of bums he beat in those last fights since theres no word on it.

young_robbed
02-24-2012, 03:13 PM

Well I think we have yet to see the best of Linares. I'm not gonna blow him off yet. Besides, DeMarco is a real good fighter. I think Linares could potentially beat him in a rematch anyways.

wmute
02-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Well I think we have yet to see the best of Linares. I'm not gonna blow him off yet. Besides, DeMarco is a real good fighter. I think Linares could potentially beat him in a rematch anyways.

maybe but that is what i thought the first time...

The Surgeon
02-24-2012, 03:52 PM
last i heard he hadnt fought in 2-3 years (counting from now), but that was almost a year ago as well so he might have fought again since. at that point he only had two fights since the bika loss, both wins but against terrible oposition.

so idk if hes still fighting or if hes retired. if hes fighting its probably the same kind of bums he beat in those last fights since theres no word on it.

He could really bang and had such an enjoyable style so thats said to hear. Nice likeable lad too, unlike that other chin checker mug Curtis Stevens...

Then again its probably for the best that Green KO was horrifying in the way only us sicko boxing fans can really call Beautiful! And the shots he took against Bika were no joke neither, he coulda made some good cash but he looked like taking some real punishment to the head so maybe getting out while still a young fresh kid was wise if that is indeed what he did`

The Surgeon
02-24-2012, 03:56 PM
I think Dawson is still the goods. He beats Hopkins he's right back on top, and I think he will.

I definitely think he'll beat Pascal in the rematch.

Agreed. Still the lack of passion he has shown before was a bit displeasing...

He will spank Hopkins and Pascal and hopeful hit the P4P ranks again

Him vs Ward will be hot some day...

Mintcar923
02-29-2012, 01:15 AM
Meldrick Taylor was great before he ran into JCC. But, I'd have to say Prince Naz Hamed takes the cake. One loss and he just gives up? WTF! I remember HBO pushing David Reid. What happened to him? Michael Nunn was on top and I thought he'd be the greatest MW Champion of the post-Hagler era after his win over Sumbu Kalambay. But, it turned out to be Bernard Hopkins who was. A lot of the '80's welters like Marlon Starling, Aaron Davis, Mark Breland and Lloyd Honeyghan are worth a mention, as well. What happened to them? I also thought Terry Norris and Aaron Pryor were underachievers. They had excellent talent.

Dynamite76
04-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Greg Page and Howard Davis Jr, but part of that was due to management.

SBleeder
04-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Henry Lundy still has a lot of time ahead of him, but so far he hasn't lived up to what I thought he could.

I still believe that Chris John has ATG potential that he needs to fulfill by fighting some tougher opponents.

Ray Corso
04-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Theres a lot of World Champs mentioned here so I'm not sure how they fall into the catagory people like Marlon Starling were robbed out of their title and he never sined with the "vultures" he did it with his original backers and trainer.
Howard Davis was an Olympic and Pro Champ and Howard had a tuff time in the Pros with strong fighters because he had no power in comparison to the competition. He fought in the Amatuers so long that developed style was his down fall as a pro but he reached the heights in boxing as a dual competition champ.
Did you mean Aaron Prior the Champion of the World?? The other Welters mentioned were ALL top ten contenders, is it nothing to reach the top as top ten fighters? Is that a failure or something? Dawson is yet done with his history and hopefully he comes to win instead of just compete. He was brought up in boxing at a familar named gym in New Haven by a familar trainer who grew up in my gym. So I hope his history rises up and he competes the way ALL fighters from that gym competes and thats with everything they have.
Not sure how Champions and top flight contenders are needed to "fullfill" thjeir careers, you fans sure are tuff on the REAL fighters!! Ray.