View Full Version : Lack of members.

Barnburner
02-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Recently the history section has suffered a lack of members, the place seems dead with a post per day rate that I can count on 1 hand.
I don't know how we are going to solve this but, I have a few suggestions which could help the situation

- Anyone who has not registered, has an account and doesn't post. Start posting! If you enjoy talking about the support and co-ordinate yourself reasonably there's no reason not to post..

- Original members make more threads, make threads about anything. Lets just get some discussion going. An uninteresting topic can usually get hijacked and become interesting.

- Ask questions! If you're unsure of something or want an opinion, ask! That'll get some discussion going and up the activity.

Also if anyone from outside the history section wants to learn a bit then as long as I said earlier you don't act unreasonably then don't feel unwelcome here. If anyone has any ideas of the reasons for a lack of activity please post them here.

Scott9945
02-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Recently the history section has suffered a lack of members, the place seems dead with a post per day rate that I can count on 1 hand.
I don't know how we are going to solve this but, I have a few suggestions which could help the situation

- Anyone who has not registered, has an account and doesn't post. Start posting! If you enjoy talking about the support and co-ordinate yourself reasonably there's no reason not to post..

- Original members make more threads, make threads about anything. Lets just get some discussion going. An uninteresting topic can usually get hijacked and become interesting.

- Ask questions! If you're unsure of something or want an opinion, ask! That'll get some discussion going and up the activity.

Also if anyone from outside the history section wants to learn a bit then as long as I said earlier you don't act unreasonably then don't feel unwelcome here. If anyone has any ideas of the reasons for a lack of activity please post them here.

Gonna bump this. We need more action here. And hopefully someone won't now post that Jab, Joseph, and I drove everyone away with our wicked tactics. :lol1:

joseph5620
02-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Gonna bump this. We need more action here. And hopefully someone won't now post that Jab, Joseph, and I drove everyone away with our wicked tactics. :lol1:

It's coming. :lol1::lol1:

New England
02-05-2012, 09:38 PM
I've been frequenting the NSB lately and i must say it's often more of a headache than it's worth

i'll try and make some threads myself

i've been wanting to release my top 15 for a long time now. i've just been waiting for the right time
perhaps i'll put it together in the upcoming weeks

MRBOOMER
02-06-2012, 12:52 AM

Here's one for some posters there ****y af like nobody wants to come in here trying to learn and get dawgged lol instead of bashing try teaching :)

JAB5239
02-06-2012, 01:18 AM

It's coming. :lol1::lol1:

And it will be deleted just as fast. :fing02:

JAB5239
02-06-2012, 01:22 AM
Here's one for some posters there ****y af like nobody wants to come in here trying to learn and get dawgged lol instead of bashing try teaching :)

Most of the people who get dogged are those with an agenda or the ones who clearly don't know what they're talking about but insist they're right. Most of the regulars here are pretty tolerant of open minded people. Jmo.

69Lover
02-06-2012, 03:31 AM
I love this section and I am reading the good articles since 3 or 4 years. But sometimes knowledge can be terrifying others. Its hard to start a conversation if your knowledge isn't nearly as deep as of some of you guys.

Another problem is the lack of english (my personal problem) and the use of humble wordchoices for a nice and grown-up conversation with respect.

Then their are people like poet, whose post and knowledge I like, but in all honesty, he doesn't want the opinion of none-historians and none regular posters here around sometimes. For me, even if I too like and love more the old greats, he bashes everybody who likes modern boxers more than the old ones. But I loved his big threads and have read every word and he deserves big props for the workinput.

This section looks too much like an elite-club and every elite guy lives a lonely life:)

I just hope all of you stick to your passion and I also do not want to see so many short threads with just 2 or 3 posts. Sometimes the good nice threads get lost by it.

Barnburner
02-06-2012, 03:35 AM
I love this section and I am reading the good articles since 3 or 4 years. But sometimes knowledge can be terrifying others. Its hard to start a conversation if your knowledge isn't nearly as deep as of some of you guys.

Another problem is the lack of english (my personal problem) and the use of humble wordchoices for a nice and grown-up conversation with respect.

Then their are people like poet, whose post and knowledge I like, but in all honesty, he doesn't want the opinion of none-historians and none regular posters here around sometimes. For me, even if I too like and love more the old greats, he bashes everybody who likes modern boxers more than the old ones. But I loved his big threads and have read every word and he deserves big props for the workinput.

This section looks too much like an elite-club and every elite guy lives a lonely life:)

I just hope all of you stick to your passion and I also do not want to see so many short threads with just 2 or 3 posts. Sometimes the good nice threads get lost by it.
Thanks for your input, nice username choice!

Your English is also near perfect.

MRBOOMER
02-06-2012, 03:54 AM
Most of the people who get dogged are those with an agenda or the ones who clearly don't know what they're talking about but insist they're right. Most of the regulars here are pretty tolerant of open minded people. Jmo.

Open minded doesn't seem to be the case a lot I've seen people that post here or post at nsb and think that every old fighter or what not will kill or beat younger new age fighters or make cases why there not there good arguing with the history section can be like arguing with *****'s or *******s difference is people that post here nut hug a older generation because that's what y'all know best so that makes them not wanna post here because it's pointless to argue you don't learn anything you just argue if y'all know do much give good reason

MRBOOMER
02-06-2012, 04:00 AM
I also notice that people don't come here because there's nothing they can relate to most of the threads here don't deal with the new age fighters I mean y'all can do history on newer age fighters that people like from the early 2000's or 90's most of the time it's the 80's and back that's not gonna be a attention grabber for most people so if you want more members draw them in to the history if they start learning maybe they'll wanna learn more.

JAB5239
02-06-2012, 04:14 AM
Open minded doesn't seem to be the case a lot I've seen people that post here or post at nsb and think that every old fighter or what not will kill or beat younger new age fighters or make cases why there not there good arguing with the history section can be like arguing with *****'s or *******s difference is people that post here nut hug a older generation because that's what y'all know best so that makes them not wanna post here because it's pointless to argue you don't learn anything you just argue if y'all know do much give good reason

First off my friend h2h fantasy fights are PURELY subjective, it's all opinion. What isn't subjective is a fighters history, who he fought, who his opponents fought and how he fared at a time with more fighters, less weight classes and same day weigh ins. You choose to believe guys don't know today's game as well, but that would be a fallacy at least concerning myself and many of this sections regulars. We can speak intelligently on most of today's fighters and goings on, the difference is we have a wider base of knowledge to pick and choose from because many of us study the past as well as today. There is a lot more to boxing history than what people see and judge from boxrec or grainy old footage shot at one angle, from a distance in black and white. Peace. :beerchug:

JAB5239
02-06-2012, 04:22 AM
I also notice that people don't come here because there's nothing they can relate to most of the threads here don't deal with the new age fighters I mean y'all can do history on newer age fighters that people like from the early 2000's or 90's most of the time it's the 80's and back that's not gonna be a attention grabber for most people so if you want more members draw them in to the history if they start learning maybe they'll wanna learn more.

This is a pretty good suggestion. The reason I don't talk about them so much is because I've already talked about them to death. I started talking about boxing on message boards in 1999. 11 years before that I had my first amateur fight. You gotta keep in mind many of us are a fair bit older than yourself and are into studying era's we missed out on. Others who re younger here I think are just fascinated but the sport and its great history.

MRBOOMER
02-06-2012, 04:25 AM
First off my friend h2h fantasy fights are PURELY subjective, it's all opinion. What isn't subjective is a fighters history, who he fought, who his opponents fought and how he fared at a time with more fighters, less weight classes and same day weigh ins. You choose to believe guys don't know today's game as well, but that would be a fallacy at least concerning myself and many of this sections regulars. We can speak intelligently on most of today's fighters and goings on, the difference is we have a wider base of knowledge to pick and choose from because many of us study the past as well as today. There is a lot more to boxing history than what people see and judge from boxrec or grainy old footage shot at one angle, from a distance in black and white. Peace. :beerchug:

I'll take that but What about making it more relevant or drawing people in here cause it is really dead to be honest I mean I wait to read discussions but it takes 10,000 thousand hours to get a thread going maybe you should have contest but place them in other sections to draw em in here and if they wanna do it and like what they learn it'll bring fresh blood and new ideas in here

MRBOOMER
02-06-2012, 04:29 AM
This is a pretty good suggestion. The reason I don't talk about them so much is because I've already talked about them to death. I started talking about boxing on message boards in 1999. 11 years before that I had my first amateur fight. You gotta keep in mind many of us are a fair bit older than yourself and are into studying era's we missed out on. Others who re younger here I think are just fascinated but the sport and its great history.

Thats understandable lol hell in 99 I was 5 but what about and new master thread that post history from newer age fighters since y'all talked about em so much it wouldn't be hard to post stuff you already know or footage you have saved so others can debate there and it there intrested they can scroll down and see what else the history section offers

TBear
02-06-2012, 04:39 AM

This. I sometimes take time away from this wonderful section when Nhuggers from the nsb come here and ask a question about how their favorite active fighter would do against an ATG and then debate for several pages that everybody is wrong. I mean why ask? The threads are just to convince us their fighter is the greatest ever.

But all in all this section survives those moments and the history section has done well since JAB started. Would be great if more boxing scene veterans would pop in a little more often.

JAB5239
02-06-2012, 04:46 AM
I'll take that but What about making it more relevant or drawing people in here cause it is really dead to be honest I mean I wait to read discussions but it takes 10,000 thousand hours to get a thread going maybe you should have contest but place them in other sections to draw em in here and if they wanna do it and like what they learn it'll bring fresh blood and new ideas in here

We've had a few contests but its tough for many of us to invest a ton of time into something, especially if it has to drag out. Im certainly not trying to grab the average poster from NSB though. Everyone is welcome but I'd like to keep this a troll free section reserved for serious discussion. Im totally open to suggestions though and may be willing to go out on a limb for the right idea. If you got something in mind feel free to PM me or post it right in this thread.

MRBOOMER
02-06-2012, 05:16 AM
We've had a few contests but its tough for many of us to invest a ton of time into something, especially if it has to drag out. Im certainly not trying to grab the average poster from NSB though. Everyone is welcome but I'd like to keep this a troll free section reserved for serious discussion. Im totally open to suggestions though and may be willing to go out on a limb for the right idea. If you got something in mind feel free to PM me or post it right in this thread.

Will do!!..

IronDanHamza
02-06-2012, 05:39 AM

Bull sh*t.

IronDanHamza
02-06-2012, 05:53 AM
This. I sometimes take time away from this wonderful section when Nhuggers from the nsb come here and ask a question about how their favorite active fighter would do against an ATG and then debate for several pages that everybody is wrong. I mean why ask? The threads are just to convince us their fighter is the greatest ever.

Exactly.

I'm all for new faces but the problem occurs when some no nothing idiot(s) come into the section with an obvious lack of knowledge and starts spouting sheer bullsh*t quite frankly.

I understand there are younger people on here who are new into Boxing and if people want to learn then that's cool but it's when people talk down to others when they have no clue what they're talking about and it's clear as day they haven't seen or know much about the particular fighter they're talking about.

I mean, I don't get it. Why make comments about fighters you know nothing about? as if you do? And talk down to others? Spend 5 minutes in this section and it's obvious that the majority of this section are the older generation and have a vast knowledge of the sport. Barring a few young guns like Barnburner, RubenSonny and co who know an incredible amount for such a young age.

Being new is fine, wanting to learn is fine, talking like you know it all when you don't know anything is not.

Would be great if more boxing scene veterans would pop in a little more often[/B].

It certainly would.

House of Stone
02-06-2012, 11:16 AM
i got fed up with all the circlejerk threads about would wlad beat Ali or is vitali the best ever, followed by post after post of regurgated crap about how vitali has the greatest statistics ever and how he was actually up on points against lewis and so didn't really lose so you can't count that against him etc etc.

LennoXX
02-06-2012, 01:04 PM

I can not agree more. I really like reading this thread because I love the history of boxing, I even buy boxing autobiographies almost every month because I want to expand my knowledge of the sport that I love.

I registered here just about a week ago but I visit BoxingScene for more than a year. I just did not find a courage to start a conversation with anybody because I thought that my knowledge is not good enough.

Hopefully, I will encourage and join conversations with other members.

By the way, I am not an Englishman neither an American, too, but I learn English for more than five years, so I dare to say that my English has improved since.

joseph5620
02-06-2012, 01:55 PM

It's one thing when posters make claims such as "Frazier only used his left hook with no right hands" "Fought like Lamon Brester", "Lamotta was another Baldimir" or "Liston was another Sam Peter." But when they argue about it as if it's fact, then yes, they are going to get dogged.

One of my pet peeves here is when posters like that talk about things they obviously have no knowledge of. If you don't know about something you shouldn't talk about it and skip over the thread. But a lot of people in NSB have no shame when it comes to spewing BS no matter how stupid they look.

Juof
02-06-2012, 02:04 PM
My knowledge about the boxing past is slim I don't post here but I come often to read fascinating facts of past fighters alot of these threads are rather interesting and I find myself staying up to early hours of the morning just reading. I just don't post because I have no clue about the past

Ziggy Stardust
02-06-2012, 02:24 PM
It's one thing when posters make claims such as "Frazier only used his left hook with no right hands" "Fought like Lamon Brester", "Lamotta was another Baldimir" or "Liston was another Sam Peter." But when they argue about it as if it's fact, then yes, they are going to get dogged.

One of my pet peeves here is when posters like that talk about things they obviously have no knowledge of. If you don't know about something you shouldn't talk about it and skip over the thread. But a lot of people in NSB have no shame when it comes to spewing BS no matter how stupid they look.

And therein lays the problem. The vast majority of people who come over from NSB aren't interested in learning about past greats: They come over to spread propaganda for their personal favorites, usually active or relatively recently active fighters. They aren't interested in any sort of scholarly "getting to the truth" of things: They have their personal favs and they're going to spread the Gospel.

The few new faces that come in here that are actually interested in learning about the sport instead of boosting their favs and generally talking out of their asses get no problems from the regs in here.

Poet

The_Demon
02-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Exactly.

I'm all for new faces but the problem occurs when some no nothing idiot(s) come into the section with an obvious lack of knowledge and starts spouting sheer bullsh*t quite frankly.

I understand there are younger people on here who are new into Boxing and if people want to learn then that's cool but it's when people talk down to others when they have no clue what they're talking about and it's clear as day they haven't seen or know much about the particular fighter they're talking about.

I mean, I don't get it. Why make comments about fighters you know nothing about? as if you do? And talk down to others? Spend 5 minutes in this section and it's obvious that the majority of this section are the older generation and have a vast knowledge of the sport. Barring a few young guns like Barnburner, RubenSonny and co who know an incredible amount for such a young age.

Being new is fine, wanting to learn is fine, talking like you know it all when you don't know anything is not.

It certainly would.

This is the problem i have,a lot of new guys dont seem to want too learn and its very irritating when they say things about a fighter they know little about,its the reason i dont post in the section that often,my knowledge isnt that deep so id rather read through a thread and learn than post something just for the sake of posting

-Deal With It-
02-06-2012, 08:30 PM
I prefer the quality of this section over the quantity of NSB, even though i rarely post here. I mainly visit this section to lurk and soak up knowledge, while NSB is used mainly 4 lulz.

This is the only section of the entire board where you can actually witness civil boxing discussions between REAL boxing fans and students of the game, as opposed to the nutthugging agenda driven fanboys that you see litter up NSB trying to drag every single thread into a "my GOD has a bigger d!ck than your GOD" back and forth. And this is a big part of the reason why there isn't alot of activity in this section, because nutthugging fanboy flame wars aren't permitted here.

And lets face facts, i would say possibly 80% or more of registered users on not only this board, but boxing forums around the net aren't even boxing fans, but nutthugging fanboys with a mancrush and an agenda.

Ziggy Stardust
02-06-2012, 08:34 PM
I prefer the quality of this section over the quantity of NSB, even though i rarely post here. I mainly visit this section to lurk and soak up knowledge, while NSB is used mainly 4 lulz.

This is the only section of the entire board where you can actually witness civil boxing discussions between REAL boxing fans and students of the game, as opposed to the nutthugging agenda driven fanboys that you see litter up NSB trying to drag every single thread into a "my GOD has a bigger d!ck than your GOD" back and forth. And this is a big part of the reason why there isn't alot of activity in this section, because nutthugging fanboy flame wars aren't permitted here.

And lets face facts, i would say possibly 80% or more of registered users on not only this board, but boxing forums around the net aren't even boxing fans, but nutthugging fanboys with a mancrush and an agenda.

Case in point: Me getting jumped by *****s for pointing out the hypocrisy despite the fact I made a point to state I couldn't care less about either of those prima donna princesses.

Poet

Cupo303
02-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Snobby nostalgic elitism?

Maybe, I don't know.

Tiozzo
02-06-2012, 08:57 PM
it's hard to get a discussion going with people who will never concede anything because of their assumption that they are always right and that they know more than everybody else

everybody here is not like that, but there are a few unfortunately who have that mentality, and they will back each other up in order to destroy a different opinion

so yes, the attitude of the regulars plays a role in the lack of activity in the section

JAB5239
02-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Snobby nostalgic elitism?

Maybe, I don't know.

I suppose it can come off like that to some. I've posted with people who's knowledge was off the charts about boxing history and just thought it better to remain quiet and learn. As far as this section goes though...i don't think the regulars are snobbish nor elitist, just more well rounded with their knowledge.

Scott9945
02-06-2012, 11:03 PM
This has turned into an interesting thread and I hope more lurkers will post their thoughts here. Nothing wrong with not being an expert, as long as you're not posing as one.

And my opinion is that becoming a serious boxing fan involves experience, objectivity, and a thirst for knowledge. One thing I've learned to quickly spot in boxing forums are those who have clear biases and agendas. I'm just more selective now about when I challenge them on it.

Weebler I
02-06-2012, 11:13 PM
My knowledge about the boxing past is slim I don't post here but I come often to read fascinating facts of past fighters alot of these threads are rather interesting and I find myself staying up to early hours of the morning just reading. I just don't post because I have no clue about the past

I'd imagine this is the most likely reason there aren't so many posters in this section.

Cupo303
02-06-2012, 11:47 PM
I suppose it can come off like that to some. I've posted with people who's knowledge was off the charts about boxing history and just thought it better to remain quiet and learn. As far as this section goes though...i don't think the regulars are snobbish nor elitist, just more well rounded with their knowledge.

If you say so. I haven't paid much attention to this section in a while to make any accurate analogy.

But I suppose there really isn't much to say unless one invokes a Klitschko into the convo., about pwning the entire Heavyweight Division, Circa 1900-1990.

Without that sort of thing, you get nothing but apathy. Us younger folks can always watch youtube clips or ESPN Classics and read the occasional article about Boxing stories from the past, but there isn't much enthusiasm to debate or comment about those things, in a fraternity section like this.

JAB5239
02-07-2012, 12:31 AM
If you say so. I haven't paid much attention to this section in a while to make any accurate analogy.

But I suppose there really isn't much to say unless one invokes a Klitschko into the convo., about pwning the entire Heavyweight Division, Circa 1900-1990.

Without that sort of thing, you get nothing but apathy. Us younger folks can always watch youtube clips or ESPN Classics and read the occasional article about Boxing stories from the past, but there isn't much enthusiasm to debate or comment about on those things on a fraternity section like this.

Watching clips and reading articles on occasion is fine, but many people delve much deeper into certain topics. I don't think it makes anyone a better person, but the more you study something the more you know. Its like that concerning any subject.

McGoorty
02-07-2012, 09:04 AM

Mate,,, thats why its called the history section, you are free to talk about any fighter from just the 80's onward if you like to,,, and also free to read about almost every notable and quarter notables from James Figg to this Chavez kid,, here in the HISTORY section,,, take your shoes off, sit right down,,, pop open a nice draught, read, or watch one of the very many fight films weve posted for the sake of the boxing experience, ..................and enjoy yourself,,,,

McGoorty
02-07-2012, 09:28 AM

Without that sort of thing, you get nothing but apathy. Us younger folks can always watch youtube clips or ESPN Classics and read the occasional article about Boxing stories from the past, but there isn't much enthusiasm to debate or comment about those things, in a fraternity section like this.

Younger folk see history in Our gen terms,, I know, I there once myself, and I can tell you that you change with time and grow. I dont believe we a re a "fraternity", we agree to disagree on things here, I have made friends with many regulars here, I have learned from them all, I have had the odd critic here,, we all have, but we respect each other and dont take things too personally. Even some young people fall in love with old time heros, they are the exception but they exist. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- I havent met you before but trust me, what you think today can be turned on its head in a decade or two,, you may find that you come to enjoy reading about amazing champs and pugs through the ages, I did.

MJ223
02-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Just an idea..... Maybe have a weekly post ur scorecards of great/competitive fights of the past.... To not make it mundane maybe have fights that have a dramatic KO/TKO etc.....

Just a few off the top of my head:

Laporte vs Pedroza

Sanchez vs Nelson

Arguello vs Jose Luis Ramirez

Holmes vs Witherspoon

IMO we are all here no matter where we post because we love the sport one way or another and who wouldn't mind watching a good scrap regardless of the time/year it took place??? There's a whole lot more fights to list but u get the idea and it could be something specifically special to the history section...... I think it would generate more hits to the section....

Don't know if it's been tried already or not just a suggestion......

Mike Tyson77
02-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Joe Louis was 80 years old when he fought Marciano! Joe used to lie about his age, he was 80 years old!

Starof David
02-13-2012, 01:36 AM
I am pretty new here but this section looks pretty good to me. Im used to small forums with only a few fans of old fights and fighters. I spent quite a while yesterday reading threads here.

The Surgeon
02-13-2012, 04:38 AM
Joe Louis was 80 years old when he fought Marciano! Joe used to lie about his age, he was 80 years old!

I think u will find he was 108 years old!

That and the fact we have both seen Coming to America one to many times!

Mike Tyson77
02-13-2012, 07:42 PM

No damn it! He was 110! It was 110.

BritishBoxing92
02-14-2012, 07:00 PM

not true i always browse the history section, i only post on boxingscene like once every one or two weeks nowadays so thats why im not here much but i still always enjoy reading the debates keep it up

ellobo
02-23-2012, 12:39 AM
I am moving from lurking to posting. This section is where I will likely be spending my time. Good thread, I'll try and participate more. But like others I'm not especially knowledgeable, so I am hesitant to join in on many subjects.

Barnburner
02-23-2012, 02:54 AM
I am moving from lurking to posting. This section is where I will likely be spending my time. Good thread, I'll try and participate more. But like others I'm not especially knowledgeable, so I am hesitant to join in on many subjects.
That's cool man. Even if you can't contribute to discussion as such feel free to ask questions about said subject if there's something you want to find out and chances are someone involved will be able to answer it.

MRBOOMER
02-23-2012, 03:27 PM

It was 75 years old then 76 then 137...