View Full Version : Could Bob Foster one punch KO Marvin Hagler?

kendom
02-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Say if it was Hagler on the receiving end of those left hooks that Foster threw against Tiger and Quarry would Hagler have been able to get up?? Personally I don't think he would. Those punches were damn devastating

them_apples
02-04-2012, 01:28 PM
if he landed flush and he didn't see it? yes. In a fight? I see Hagler surviving even if he goes down.

Hagler sparred with heavyweights and walked through helacious punchers at 160. Foster could wobble him or drop him, but not only does Hagler have a rock solid chin, he's got heart and conditioning to boot. Also, at 175 he'd be thicker and heavier which does add a bit to your resistance.

Prince Mongo
02-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Hagler took that evil uppercut that John "The Beast" Mugabe threw that lifted him off the deck. It was a perfectly timed max power shot and Hagler just shookit off like it was nothing. Anyone else would have been decked at best by that shot and most likely sparked out. Hagler had tremendous punch resistance and at 175 he would have been able to take a shot even better.

Barn
02-04-2012, 02:50 PM
if he landed flush and he didn't see it? yes. In a fight? I see Hagler surviving even if he goes down.

Hagler sparred with heavyweights and walked through helacious punchers at 160. Foster could wobble him or drop him, but not only does Hagler have a rock solid chin, he's got heart and conditioning to boot. Also, at 175 he'd be thicker and heavier which does add a bit to your resistance.
What heavies did Hagler spar with?

As for the question, I think it would take a succession of shots. I don't see anyone <180 1PKO'ing Hagler. Unless he completely doesn't see it, walks into it and is tired. Hagler's too good for these scenarios to occur though.

them_apples
02-04-2012, 02:56 PM
What heavies did Hagler spar with?

As for the question, I think it would take a succession of shots. I don't see anyone <180 1PKO'ing Hagler. Unless he completely doesn't see it, walks into it and is tired. Hagler's too good for these scenarios to occur though.

couldn't say, they just said Heavyweights, and he sent them home. It's in the most popular documentary about Hagler on youtube. Same doc about him passing out in sub zero temperatures on the beach where he'd run 7+ miles in army boots lol.

It's either that or that famous article where they speak with his trainers (the one that just died). I forget. It's a credible source though.

JAB5239
02-04-2012, 03:04 PM
There is little doubt in my mind that Foster could knock out any fighter in history at 175 or below, and that includes Hagler. He could generate tremendous torque and velocity on his punches for such a tall, lanky guy.

joseph5620
02-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Say if it was Hagler on the receiving end of those left hooks that Foster threw against Tiger and Quarry would Hagler have been able to get up?? Personally I don't think he would. Those punches were damn devastating

Yes he could have knocked Hagler out the same way. If he could turn Dick Tigers lights out he could do the same to Hagler.

joseph5620
02-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Hagler took that evil uppercut that John "The Beast" Mugabe threw that lifted him off the deck. It was a perfectly timed max power shot and Hagler just shookit off like it was nothing. Anyone else would have been decked at best by that shot and most likely sparked out. Hagler had tremendous punch resistance and at 175 he would have been able to take a shot even better.

You can't compare Mugabi's power to Foster's. Mugabi has 0 KO's at 175.

joseph5620
02-04-2012, 03:17 PM

Hagler was too small to fight at 175. Even if he put on the weight he would be out of place at that weight. Walking through hard middleweight punches is not the same as walking through Bob Foster's.

I think Hagler has one of the best chins in history. But it could have been cracked if he moved up to a division he didn't belong in. Look what happened to Foster when he moved up.

TBear
02-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Anything is possible but I would back Hagler's chin over Foster's amazing power.

New England
02-04-2012, 04:18 PM
If he walks one without seeing it he would suffer the same fate any other guy his size would suffer. Yes, it could happen. You're talking about one of the great punchers at 175. Hagler had a great chin, but to think it's an impossobilty to see him hurt badly or stopped by shots he can't see is a bit mch. Hagler's defense and conditionign is at least as reponsible for his never being stopped as the chin he was born with. If he showed up unprepared and punches his way into a hard hook he didn't see he would go out, just like anybody else

kendom
02-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Anything is possible but I would back Hagler's chin over Foster's amazing power.

I dont know man, the way Foster knocked out natural light- heavyweights... the weght diff between middleweight and lightheavyweight. I think Foster could definetly take him out with one punch, not like unconscious but enough to be down for a 10 count.

TBear
02-04-2012, 04:56 PM
I dont know man, the way Foster knocked out natural light- heavyweights... the weght diff between middleweight and lightheavyweight. I think Foster could definetly take him out with one punch, not like unconscious but enough to be down for a 10 count.

True, I was taking in Haglers defense and style which aided him and his chin in his career. If Hagler lowered his guard and walked into one of Foster's bombs it could happen. But if anyone could stand to such a tremendous puncher I could see it being Hagler.

Pierre Fourie was a middleweight that went the 15 round distance twice with Foster for the light heavyweight title, both times Fourie weighed in at the suppermiddleweight limit 168(before sm was a division).

House of Stone
02-05-2012, 05:04 AM

nobody sparks hagler, the guy probably had a better chin than lamotta - he might be wobbled or go down but not for the full count imo

Rspen46
06-18-2013, 01:45 PM
With the right punch in the right situation in a fight anyone could be knocked out, but with Hagler & Foster in 2 different divisions & Bob being a huge Power guy in an upper division, if Hagler moved up, Bob would knock him out or have a chance to, or if they just met at their best weights, still Bob would be too big & Powerful, no matter how good Hagler's chin is, he could not hold up an entire Fight against one of the Hardest Punchers in history in the Division above him.

likeamulekick
06-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Hagler had a middleweight body with a heavyweight chin, at heavyweight it would be average. Hagler would definitely not walk through fosters punches but I don't see haggler being knocked out with 1 punch. I think foster finishes him after 2 or 3 knockdowns or the ref jumping in, coz foster punches WOULD hurt haggler. Hagler at that weight though would give his bowling ball head some extra shock absorbers

kendom
06-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Hagler had a middleweight body with a heavyweight chin, at heavyweight it would be average. Hagler would definitely not walk through fosters punches but I don't see haggler being knocked out with 1 punch. I think foster finishes him after 2 or 3 knockdowns or the ref jumping in, coz foster punches WOULD hurt haggler. Hagler at that weight though would give his bowling ball head some extra shock absorbers

How do you rate Tigers chin in comparison to Haglers?

IronDanHamza
06-18-2013, 05:32 PM
Foster could KO anyone at 175.

likeamulekick
06-18-2013, 06:53 PM
How do you rate Tigers chin in comparison to Haglers?
I think hagler had a unique head, other guys can have good chins due to the way there head sits on there body and I think it would take a very heavy handed guy to put haggler completely to sleep, I don't doubt that foster could knock him out just not cold, then again anyone can get knocked out cold by a sucker punch but haglers to skilled to let that happen

HaglerSteelChin
06-18-2013, 07:42 PM
I think hagler had a unique head, other guys can have good chins due to the way there head sits on there body and I think it would take a very heavy handed guy to put haggler completely to sleep, I don't doubt that foster could knock him out just not cold, then again anyone can get knocked out cold by a sucker punch but haglers to skilled to let that happen

This theory was discussed in detail in the book "Sorcery at Caesars" in which Marantz talks about Hagler's unusual temporalis muscles in both temples of his head. Hagler's temporalis muscles were four times thicker than normal which Marantz describes as a 'helmet.' This was discovered during a medical exam. However, i tend to put more credence on his excellent conditioning which allowed him to take blows from all angles and vicious body shots. Remember, the Mugabi body shots had Hagler urinating blood for days, but he still took those shots. However, the abnormal temporalis muscles may help explain the Haglersteelchin.

HaglerSteelChin
06-18-2013, 07:51 PM

If you study the history of the sport fighters with excellent chins usually get put down with they go down in weight more often when they go down in weight. If Duran fought Hearns at 160 instead of 154 he likely would have lasted more than two rounds.

Bob Foster with great LHW puncher, however, guys like Bob Fitzsimmons and even Roy Jones carried their power further divisions than Foster. Sam Langford took his power from lightweight all the way up to HW. Remember, Ali was laughing off Foster's best shots while doing mock wobble dances, all the shots were flush on Ali. To his credit, ALi was cut, but he ate the punches. Nobody laughed off Hearns punches from the WW all the way up to the Cruiser division. Yes, Hearns carried his power up to the cruisers, he was a greater puncher than Foster.

I think a better thread is if Hagler went down to 154 could he handle the power of Julian Jackson, that i believe would have been a greater challenge.

IMHO, Foster could have hurt Hagler, but i think he could have taken the punch, get fazed, than in a few seconds recover.

AntonTheMeh
06-19-2013, 08:56 AM
personally, i don't think he would.

HaglerSteelChin
06-19-2013, 05:15 PM
This theory was discussed in detail in the book "Sorcery at Caesars" in which Marantz talks about Hagler's unusual temporalis muscles in both temples of his head. Hagler's temporalis muscles were four times thicker than normal which Marantz describes as a 'helmet.' This was discovered during a medical exam. However, i tend to put more credence on his excellent conditioning which allowed him to take blows from all angles and vicious body shots. Remember, the Mugabi body shots had Hagler urinating blood for days, but he still took those shots. However, the abnormal temporalis muscles may help explain the Haglersteelchin.

Wow got Red k for this post. I admit some may take it as race baiting, but it was written in the actual book.

Dynamite76
06-20-2013, 03:27 PM
As great as Hagler's chin was, it was at middleweight, and I think
Bob could cold**** him at LHY easily.

mickey malone
06-21-2013, 05:31 AM
Me too.. Purely on the fact that Foster dominated in a particularly weak era ..

DeepSleep
06-21-2013, 09:06 PM
Foster could KO anyone at 175.

Foster could bang, if Hagler walks into a bomb he could go down at 175.

CHEECH
06-21-2013, 11:04 PM
if u seen what foster did to tiger, u know he could flatten any 160lb with one shot. trick would b to get haggler in there with the much bigger foster in the first place

mickey malone
06-22-2013, 09:49 AM
if u seen what foster did to tiger, u know he could flatten any 160lb with one shot. trick would b to get haggler in there with the much bigger foster in the first place
Tiger was 38 yrs old, and died of liver cancer when he was 42, so
therefore should'nt be compared to any version of Hagler..

kendom
06-22-2013, 11:48 AM
If you study the history of the sport fighters with excellent chins usually get put down with they go down in weight more often when they go down in weight. If Duran fought Hearns at 160 instead of 154 he likely would have lasted more than two rounds.

Bob Foster with great LHW puncher, however, guys like Bob Fitzsimmons and even Roy Jones carried their power further divisions than Foster. Sam Langford took his power from lightweight all the way up to HW. Remember, Ali was laughing off Foster's best shots while doing mock wobble dances, all the shots were flush on Ali. To his credit, ALi was cut, but he ate the punches. Nobody laughed off Hearns punches from the WW all the way up to the Cruiser division. Yes, Hearns carried his power up to the cruisers, he was a greater puncher than Foster.

I think a better thread is if Hagler went down to 154 could he handle the power of Julian Jackson, that i believe would have been a greater challenge.

IMHO, Foster could have hurt Hagler, but i think he could have taken the punch, get fazed, than in a few seconds recover.

Interesting post. Green K

CHEECH
06-22-2013, 03:34 PM
''Tiger was 38 yrs old, and died of liver cancer when he was 42, so
therefore should'nt be compared to any version of Hagler''
omg u right. good god dam thing tiger didn't fight foster when he was 42 else he done really bin fkkd. hahaha, any way u slice it nobody euthanized tiger like that ever. foster hit like a truck and was a solid 175lb. haggler was solid n born to fight at 160 and nobody that size eats fosters bombs without goin to sleep.

mickey malone
06-23-2013, 04:38 AM
''Tiger was 38 yrs old, and died of liver cancer when he was 42, so
therefore should'nt be compared to any version of Hagler''
omg u right. good god dam thing tiger didn't fight foster when he was 42 else he done really bin fkkd. hahaha, any way u slice it nobody euthanized tiger like that ever. foster hit like a truck and was a solid 175lb. haggler was solid n born to fight at 160 and nobody that size eats fosters bombs without goin to sleep.
Nobody euthanized Hagler period.. Or even came close.

175 was devoid of talent during Foster's reign, and imo his power gets overrated..The shots that nearly killed a half dead Tiger, would hurt Hagler and get him pretty pissed off, but ktfo?.. Can't see it