View Full Version : Who is your favourite commentator and referee?

Barn
02-03-2012, 10:14 PM
My pick for commentator has to be Don Dunphy. I think his voice really personifies the whole idea of Sweet Science, he keeps the elegance in his voice during violent moments but, still makes it sound exciting. I feel others rely to much on sounding loud and pumped. Although I do like Cosell's calls as some of them are great. I remember the Foreman Lyle one when he didn't know what to say and it went something like this. "Foreman now, now Lyle Lyle, now, Lyle is down!"

Dunphy and Cosell obviously know their stuff and point out many a good statistic or fact as the bout goes on.

As for referee I'm a fan of Arthur Mercante, Mills Lane and as of now Weeks and Bayless are two referees I think are very good.

joseph5620
02-03-2012, 10:34 PM
My pick for commentator has to be Don Dunphy. I think his voice really personifies the whole idea of Sweet Science, he keeps the elegance in his voice during violent moments but, still makes it sound exciting. I feel others rely to much on sounding loud and pumped. Although I do like Cosell's calls as some of them are great. I remember the Foreman Lyle one when he didn't know what to say and it went something like this. "Foreman now, now Lyle Lyle, now, Lyle is down!"

Dunphy and Cosell obviously know their stuff and point out many a good statistic or fact as the bout goes on.

As for referee I'm a fan of Arthur Mercante, Mills Lane and as of now Weeks and Bayless are two referees I think are very good.

Dunphy was great because he had NO agenda like so many do today. Mercante was great too. And I think he was sill doing it in his 70's. Always in and out at the right time with firm commands.

Today I like Max Kellerman and Bayless.

Barn
02-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Dunphy was great because he had NO agenda like so many do today. Mercante was great too. And I think he was sill doing it in his 70's. Always in and out at the right time with firm commands.

Today I like Max Kellerman and Bayless.
Dunphy earned his place in the hall, when I download(or watch these days.) a classic fight I'm always happy when he's commentating.

Jim Lampely drives me up the ****in' wall.

Scott9945
02-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Al Bernstein / Kenny Bayless

Barn
02-03-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm a fan of Bernstein as well, he did a great job of Hagler vs Hearns.

I also quite like listening to Harry Carpenter.

joseph5620
02-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Dunphy earned his place in the hall, when I download(or watch these days.) a classic fight I'm always happy when he's commentating.

Jim Lampely drives me up the ****in' wall.

Yeah I've listened to a few with Dunphy and he really was great at what he did. And I agree, Lampley drives me crazy too.

joseph5620
02-03-2012, 11:10 PM

I like Bernstein too. Definitely one of if not the best today.

The Surgeon
02-04-2012, 05:51 AM
I think my favourite on the mike would be Bob Sheridan believe it or not!

Ref wise another controversial one Merchante Jnr!

Barn
02-04-2012, 08:29 AM
I think my favourite on the mike would be Bob Sheridan believe it or not!

Ref wise another controversial one Merchante Jnr!
You like Mercante Jr!!!?

The Surgeon
02-04-2012, 12:57 PM
You like Mercante Jr!!!?

Lol i thought that might raise a few eyebrows but yeah i do, too many fighters look for an easy way out these days and he dont give it to em, he wants the paying public to get their moneys worth from the prima donna in the ring and is loud and clear

TBear
02-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Always liked what Bernstein brought and Dunphy and Cosell were amazing in their time.

Referees, Frank Cappuccino, Carlos Padilla, Mills Lane and Arthur Mercante Sr. are the first that come to mind.

Verstyle
02-04-2012, 04:58 PM
All-time is Sugar Ray Leonard and for ref I like Cortez. Edit: I forgot about Mills Lane; he gets my vote but Cortez is after.

ny123
02-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Bernstein and Smoger.

TBear
02-04-2012, 05:21 PM
All-time is Sugar Ray Leonard and for ref I like Cortez. Edit: I forgot about Mills Lane; he gets my vote but Cortez is after.

One thing alot of people don't realize is that Cortez was a good referee for years. I can see why he gets alot of criticism of late, but for quite awhile he was one of the best.

Verstyle
02-04-2012, 05:38 PM
One thing alot of people don't realize is that Cortez was a good referee for years. I can see why he gets alot of criticism of late, but for quite awhile he was one of the best.

Been around for a good while also. I remember him in Tyson's coming up days.

Daddy T
02-04-2012, 06:51 PM
Bob Sheridan and Smoger