View Full Version : Appreciating Floyd Patterson!

Dempsey 1919
11-21-2005, 06:36 PM
i always thought this was obvious, but unlike what i hear on this forum alot, Patterson is an all-time great! he became the youngest hw champion and still is the youngest undisputed champ, he never ducked a fighter in his life (or sonny liston never would have became champ), and he had the most guts probably of any fighter. the fact that he wanted to fight liston again after he lost the title is proof enough, but he actually wanted to fight liston a third time, but never got a chance to 'cause he fell out of the mainstream of top contenders after his loss to ali in '65. he was the first to regain the title, doing so by a savage beat down of johannson, and had the title for a total of 5 years and had six title defenses. but like joe frazier, he is underrated cause he unfortunately fought at the same time two other all-time greats were, muhammad ali and sonny liston (frazier's were ali and george foreman) and is only remembered as getting beat by both of them. patterson is a great champion, and probably the second fastest hw under ali. he never ran from an opponent and faced all-comers. you don't see much of that today, or from people like tyson, jeffries and marciano. he should get the credit he deserves!

http://www.autographsonline.com/Scans/pattersonfloyd09552.jpg

Linx
11-22-2005, 01:10 AM
I agree with most of your post and yes Floyd Patterson was very underrated mainly because of his Liston losses as is Liston to his Ali losses. However, he did avoid Liston for many years until he had no choice to fight him, because Liston had cleaned out the divison from 58-62. Floyd's handlers keeped him away from Sonny for as long as possible because they knew what the result would be and it came true, two brutal first round KO's.

Kid Achilles
11-22-2005, 02:50 AM
Floyd never avoided anyone. That was Cus D'Amato's doing.

Patterson was the man. What a perfect gentleman outside the ring, and what a talented fighter inside. You always hear that Patterson was floored more than any other heavyweight champion, but he also picked himself back up more than any other heavyweight champion.

He possessed Ali-quick handspeed, and frightening power for a man of his size. Check out the Jonhanson knockout in their second fight if you don't believe me.

In spite of all of that, he may have been the gentlest, nicest man to win the HW title.

http://www.bwaresoftware.com/fastball/photos/boxing/1844.jpg

Skydog
11-23-2005, 02:20 AM
Yea, the dude's power is very underrated. That left hook on Johansson is no light hit. It's a full blown, powered punch. The only problem I see is his chin.

Keleneki
11-23-2005, 10:03 PM
Nice thread. :)

How is Patterson doing these days? I heard a few years ago that he doesn't remember people's names, other memory loss, ...

Thanks.

Gemini531
12-06-2005, 08:35 PM
Nice thread. :)

How is Patterson doing these days? I heard a few years ago that he doesn't remember people's names, other memory loss, ...

Thanks.
patterson in his prime was a monster. Even Ali said he wanted to be a champion like floyd.

Verstyle
12-06-2005, 08:43 PM
when i see patterson i think of ali. but i loved floyd peek a boo style more then tyson's cause he's was more compact.

Gemini531
12-06-2005, 08:45 PM
when i see patterson i think of ali. but i loved floyd peek a boo style more then tyson's cause he's was more compact.
He was more composed in the ring than tyson you could see he new how to box the way he tried to score on ali.

Skydog
12-06-2005, 11:23 PM
God, I'm sitting here watching that KO of Johnasson. Man, every time I watch it, the more I like Floyd.

Dempsey 1919
05-11-2006, 04:03 PM
patterson is dead. so sorry. :(

RockyMarcianofan00
05-11-2006, 05:09 PM
i always thought this was obvious, but unlike what i hear on this forum alot, Patterson is an all-time great! he became the youngest hw champion and still is the youngest undisputed champ, he never ducked a fighter in his life (or sonny liston never would have became champ), and he had the most guts probably of any fighter. the fact that he wanted to fight liston again after he lost the title is proof enough, but he actually wanted to fight liston a third time, but never got a chance to 'cause he fell out of the mainstream of top contenders after his loss to ali in '65. he was the first to regain the title, doing so by a savage beat down of johannson, and had the title for a total of 5 years and had six title defenses. but like joe frazier, he is underrated cause he unfortunately fought at the same time two other all-time greats were, muhammad ali and sonny liston (frazier's were ali and george foreman) and is only remembered as getting beat by both of them. patterson is a great champion, and probably the second fastest hw under ali. he never ran from an opponent and faced all-comers. you don't see much of that today, or from people like tyson, jeffries and marciano. he should get the credit he deserves!

http://www.autographsonline.com/Scans/pattersonfloyd09552.jpg

Really who did marciano duck?
Yes Floyd Patterson did duck Marciano because Marciano wanted to fight him but Patterson didn't except. When Marciano retired Floyd took the title. So thats false

Also incorrect, Floyd Patterson was 21 years old when he won the title Mike Tyson was 20 years old and continued wto win the rest of the belts to make him undsiputed.

your bashing aside Floyd Patterson was great and always will be. The boxing community mourns at the loss of such a great fighter.

SuzieQ49
05-11-2006, 05:35 PM
dont turn this into a marciano-patterson debate. this is floyd patterson appreciation thread, and were here to mourn the loss of one of the most underated heavyweights of all time, floyd patterson.

btw, marciano always liked floyd. he greatly respected him as a person. he thought highly of floyd too! even though floyd had not accomplished that much, marciano thought archie moore and FLOYD PATTERSON(not baker or valdes) should fight for the linear title in 56.

RockyMarcianofan00
05-11-2006, 05:52 PM
yea Floyd Patterson was a very Underrated champion, like Tyson (who his Patterson's trainer later trained) Patterson had a very unique style of speed and power. His power wasn't as much as Tyson but as far as speed and power working together goes he had it good. He could throw fast and hit hard

Verstyle
05-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Really who did marciano duck?
Yes Floyd Patterson did duck Marciano because Marciano wanted to fight him but Patterson didn't except. When Marciano retired Floyd took the title. So thats false

Also incorrect, Floyd Patterson was 21 years old when he won the title Mike Tyson was 20 years old and continued wto win the rest of the belts to make him undsiputed.

your bashing aside Floyd Patterson was great and always will be. The boxing community mourns at the loss of such a great fighter.

he said undisputed. to this day he still is the youngest undisputed champion ever.floyd that is

Azteca
05-11-2006, 09:24 PM
to this day, i will always remember floyd's trademark punch - the leaping left hook.

rest in peace.

Heckler
05-12-2006, 12:21 AM
Very underrated fighter... RIP

Yaman
05-12-2006, 04:36 AM
RIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIqokfTuYQ4&search=floyd%20patterson

Dempsey 1919
11-04-2006, 06:24 PM
bump.......

Mr. Ryan
11-05-2006, 03:48 PM
Floyd Patterson should have a statue in his honor in Brooklyn, he was not just a great fighter but a great man. It's sad that I'm only appreciating him after his death, I hold that against myself.

kayjay
11-09-2006, 12:09 PM
RIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIqokfTuYQ4&search=floyd%20patterson

This video has been removed due to terms of use violation

kayjay
11-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Floyd Patterson should have a statue in his honor in Brooklyn, he was not just a great fighter but a great man. It's sad that I'm only appreciating him after his death, I hold that against myself.

And there should be a Frazier statue in Philly. A number of people have always protested the fact that my hometown honors a fictional heavyweight champ and ignores its real champ.

Mr. Ryan
11-09-2006, 03:42 PM
And there should be a Frazier statue in Philly. A number of people have always protested the fact that my hometown honors a fictional heavyweight champ and ignores its real champ.

I made a thread about that earlier this year. The idea that a Rocky statue is there but none for Joe Frazier is appalling.

kayjay
11-09-2006, 04:03 PM
I made a thread about that earlier this year. The idea that a Rocky statue is there but none for Joe Frazier is appalling.

That's right it was you who planted that thought in my mind. I wish I could do something about it but I haven't lived there since 1998.

Mr. Ryan
11-09-2006, 04:08 PM
That's right it was you who planted that thought in my mind. I wish I could do something about it but I haven't lived there since 1998.

I'm thinking of putting out an article about it soon.

K-DOGG
11-09-2006, 05:25 PM
I'm thinking of putting out an article about it soon.

Honestly...that is a "Great" idea. Do it.

Mr. Ryan
11-09-2006, 05:56 PM
Honestly...that is a "Great" idea. Do it.

I've been thinking of it for some time, I just haven't the time nor resources to write consistently anymore.

K-DOGG
11-09-2006, 06:04 PM
I've been thinking of it for some time, I just haven't the time nor resources to write consistently anymore.

I completely understand. I've been cramped for time myself; but made time recently and it felt good. An article such as you suggest is what I call a "noble and just cause". These are words than need to be written; your muse will guide you, if you let her.

Mr. Ryan
11-09-2006, 06:52 PM
I completely understand. I've been cramped for time myself; but made time recently and it felt good. An article such as you suggest is what I call a "noble and just cause". These are words than need to be written; your muse will guide you, if you let her.

I agree, but since I'm back on the wagon I've been trying very hard to seperate myself from the gift and the curse, or hard liquor as I put it LOL. It's been tough cuz I write at a library computer now cuz my laptop got stolen. I'm hoping to get one nextr week when I get paid.

Verstyle
11-09-2006, 06:57 PM
we need some patterson fights on here,there very rare

K-DOGG
11-09-2006, 07:01 PM
I agree, but since I'm back on the wagon I've been trying very hard to seperate myself from the gift and the curse, or hard liquor as I put it LOL. It's been tough cuz I write at a library computer now cuz my laptop got stolen. I'm hoping to get one nextr week when I get paid.

Sounds cheesy; but that tells me you're gonna make it, kid. And don't take the "kid" thing negatively. You got heart, will, and determination....you've got drive. I admire the hell out of that. I really do.

Kick ass, man. :fing02:

Mr. Ryan
11-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Sounds cheesy; but that tells me you're gonna make it, kid. And don't take the "kid" thing negatively. You got heart, will, and determination....you've got drive. I admire the hell out of that. I really do.

Kick ass, man. :fing02:

I can only hope to be as composed and professional with my craft as you and the other writers who are doing their thing. I'm very much a kid, the title fits well. It's how I grow into a mature writer that will dictate what I do from here on out. By the way, Im almost finished with my next article, its on Pacquiao-Morales.

K-DOGG
11-09-2006, 07:15 PM
I can only hope to be as composed and professional with my craft as you and the other writers who are doing their thing. I'm very much a kid, the title fits well. It's how I grow into a mature writer that will dictate what I do from here on out. By the way, Im almost finished with my next article, its on Pacquiao-Morales.

I look forward to it, Ryan. :)

Mr. Ryan
11-09-2006, 07:45 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yd24SWQgj9E"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yd24SWQgj9E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Mr. Ryan
11-09-2006, 07:45 PM
Heres th first round of the third Johannson fight, it was great:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/720gSY_V44o"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/720gSY_V44o" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Mr. Ryan
11-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Patterson-Bonavena

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zGo1GG2K9n8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zGo1GG2K9n8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Verstyle
11-09-2006, 11:14 PM
imo floyd throws the left hook better then tyson

Mr. Ryan
11-10-2006, 02:28 PM

Patterson has a very underrated hook, it really is a great punch. The one he knocked Ingemar Johannson out with in the second fight was probably the greatest heavyweight hook of all time. I think he might've thrown it better than Frazier, it was shorter and could do more damage.

KidKwik
11-12-2012, 08:27 PM

MAJOR BUMP
Yeah Patterson's lunging left hook was brutal when it actually landed. I don't have footage, but I remember when I watched the Chuvalo fight Chuvalo looked a little wobbled by it.