View Full Version : Have two champs ever fought each other in debut?

BennyST
02-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Guys who went on to be future champs that is....I can't think of any? Surely it's been done though at some point.

If not, what about champ and title challenger/top contender?

Emon723
02-02-2012, 11:36 PM
I doubt if it happens, have to check out boxrec.com but I think Riddick Bowe's debut was against Lionel Butler, who would become at least a top 10 contender in the HW division.

TBear
02-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Close,
Michael Carbajal turn pro with a decision over Will Grisby who was 1-0. Both later became champions.

BennyST
02-03-2012, 12:36 AM
I doubt if it happens, have to check out boxrec.com but I think Riddick Bowe's debut was against Lionel Butler, who would become at least a top 10 contender in the HW division.

Close,
Michael Carbajal turn pro with a decision over Will Grisby who was 1-0. Both later became champions.

Nice. That's probably the closest we might get....Found another one that's pretty close. Roberto Duran vs Carlos Mendoza at 118. Mendoza went on to become the No. 1 contender and fight Wilfredo Gomez in a good, but losing world title fight and also lost to Ruben Olivares in a war. Also beat Juan 'Kid' Meza, Juan Antonio Lopez, etc.

I think the Grisby/Carbajal is a great one, although one fight off as Grigsby had one fight already. Both were good champs, great in the case of Carbajal, and Grigsby put up one hell of a fight and hurt Carbajal stunned a few times. Was unlucky not to have had a point deducted from Carbajal, or two, for being hit when he went down in the last round. Cortez DQ's guys for BS stuff that isn't anything as bad as what happened in this fight. Carbajal cracked him as bad as Barrera cracked Marquez. That **** isn't on, and should be penalised more. The dodgy ref didn't even say anything.

Bundana
02-03-2012, 03:45 AM
3 more champs, who started out against future world champions:

Fahlan Sakkreerin L PTS 8 Chana Porpaoin (1-0)
Miguel Vasquez L PTS 4 Saul Alvarez (2-0)
Freddie Castillo L KO 4 Guty Espadas (5-0-2)

crold1
02-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Rafael Marquez debuted, and lost, to a former champion (Victor Rabanables).

Man, that was tough matching.