View Full Version : Andre Berto: the Vernon Forrest of this era

Emon723
02-03-2012, 12:31 AM
do you find similarities in Andre Berto with the late Vernon Forrest.

both are good boxers who just dont appeal to the big names, the viper, in his prime was never considered in a match-up with the welterweights biggest stars, Oscar Dela Hoya and Tito Trinidad.

Berto on the other hand, will never get a shot at Mayweather or Pacquiao, fellow champions/contenders at 140-147 each have faced a hall of fame bound, Khan fought Barrera, Ortiz fought Mayweather, Maidana fought Morales, Bradley is now fighting Manny Pacquiao and the possibility of Lamont Peterson taking on Juan Manuel Marquez but Berto???

Forrest has postponed bouts on occasions because of an injury in the same way Berto, whenever an opportunity comes up, would postponed fights (Mosley in 2010 and now Ortiz).

BennyST
02-03-2012, 02:37 AM
do you find similarities in Andre Berto with the late Vernon Forrest.

both are good boxers who just dont appeal to the big names, the viper, in his prime was never considered in a match-up with the welterweights biggest stars, Oscar Dela Hoya and Tito Trinidad.

Berto on the other hand, will never get a shot at Mayweather or Pacquiao, fellow champions/contenders at 140-147 each have faced a hall of fame bound, Khan fought Barrera, Ortiz fought Mayweather, Maidana fought Morales, Bradley is now fighting Manny Pacquiao and the possibility of Lamont Peterson taking on Juan Manuel Marquez but Berto???

Forrest has postponed bouts on occasions because of an injury in the same way Berto, whenever an opportunity comes up, would postponed fights (Mosley in 2010 and now Ortiz).

Berto's still got time. However, I find it a bit confusing because Forrest got his big shot and showed why he was so avoided, dominating a prime, undefeated Mosley and nearly taking off his head. I can't even remember who Berto won his title off?

People avoided Forrest like the plague because he would have been such a struggle for anyone. Berto, is similar sort of, but has shown more flaws too. I actually think it's more his management that has stalled his career somewhat. He has been getting too much money, too early, for too little. So when he gets in with the big guys he expects even more and gets thrown straight out of the door.

Thread Stealer
02-03-2012, 02:54 AM
Maybe in terms of not getting the big fights with the big names, but Forrest was a much better fighter than Berto is. Berto is a guy with flashy speed and some pop. Forrest was far more skilled than Berto.

Obama
02-03-2012, 03:04 AM
You disrespect the late Vernon Forrest by even mentioning Berto in the same sentence. Two different levels of fighters.

BigStereotype
02-03-2012, 05:04 AM
Maybe in terms of not getting the big fights with the big names, but Forrest was a much better fighter than Berto is. Berto is a guy with flashy speed and some pop. Forrest was far more skilled than Berto.

This. Some "extracurricular" are similar, but Berto is, for the most part, crap. Good speed, a little bit of power...doesn't throw combinations, more worried about looking good than legit conditioning, chinny and can't stay healthy. Everything about him screams BUST short of having it literally written across his forehead.

Remember when Berto beat the tar out of Shane Mosley twice? Me neither.

P.S. Jacking his tattoos doesn't count :lol1:

Scott9945
02-03-2012, 12:20 PM
One difference is that Berto hasn't refused to fight southpaws like Vernon Forrest always did.

Emon723
02-05-2012, 09:37 PM
You disrespect the late Vernon Forrest by even mentioning Berto in the same sentence. Two different levels of fighters.

No, I wouldnt, Forrest is one of boxing's nicest guys, Agree with PED in terms of not getting the big fights, but the Viper is simply way better skill-wise than Berto.