View Full Version : Muhammad Ali, exciting?

Barnburner
02-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Do you think prime (pre-exile) Muhammad Ali was an exciting fighter to watch?

I personally don't just watching the same sort of dancing and moving. Jabs to the head and body occasional lead right and left hooks. Flurry when possible. Just basically a whole lot of that most of the time and it's not a style I particularly enjoy watching but, wanted others opinions on it.

Mannie Phresh
02-02-2012, 05:27 PM
i love it. its a chess game for a guy like ali but i like the boxing side of boxing as much if not more than i love the brawling side of the sport.

PAC-BOY
02-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Are you talking about prime Clay or Prime Ali? i liked the Ali of Old not the Clay

Barnburner
02-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Are you talking about prime Clay or Prime Ali? i liked the Ali of Old not the Clay
Pre exile Ali.

IronDanHamza
02-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Sometimes.

JAB5239
02-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Sometimes.

Give me Ali-Williams and Ali-Terrell over Wlad-Ibragimov any day!! ;)

Barnburner
02-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Give me Ali-Williams and Ali-Terrell over Wlad-Ibragimov any day!! ;)
Give me a local street fight between two nutjobs down the park over that.

JAB5239
02-02-2012, 06:01 PM

I get to see fights like that almost weekly. It just isn't the sweet science!

F A R L A P
02-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Beautiful to watch, I thought everyone thought it was beautiful to watch...

exciting, EXCITING! - Movement, In and out, hands down, dodging, plenty of punches; jabs, flurry's, maybe even a shuffle - all that at HW!

Each to their own I guess, slow flat footed boxing is what I can't stand watching.

Ray Corso
02-02-2012, 06:16 PM
No heavyweight before or since moved the way Ali did. No one floated in and out and showed the importance of laterial movement when boxing against strong punching, slow footed fighters. At 6' 3 1/2" 212lbs there wasn't anyone with his foot and hand speed. Plus he backed up everything he said he was gonna do.
I prefered the Sugarman approach which was box and fight as you set up your opponent but the bottom line was that Ali was incredible to see especially inperson. He looked like he was 6' 8" and his hands where a blur when he flashed them. He was unbelieveable inperson. As for his foot work he actually got his opponents to look down at them, ring generalship to the max! I was not a fan at first but once I realized he was a totally thinking fighter who looked to be a few steps ahead of his opponents I became a fan. Once I met him and saw the things he was doing outside the ring I appreciated him as the Champ, he had heart for all people. Ray

NChristo
02-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Apart from the obvious fights I never found him 'exciting' too watch at all really.

res
02-03-2012, 01:41 PM

That's the point, if you like the science of Boxing, you like. If some one watches Boxing just for violence, they won't.

GoogleMe
02-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Exciting, beautiful! Prime Ali was poetry in motion.

BigStereotype
02-03-2012, 02:18 PM
He was in some exciting fights but, no, I wouldn't say that his style was that exciting. Beautiful, though.

Miburo
02-03-2012, 03:17 PM
People loved Ali more for his showboating and personality outside the ring than his style as a boxer. The casual fan who will claim to love Ali would generally hate a fighter with his style today.

Barnburner
02-03-2012, 04:04 PM
That's the point, if you like the science of Boxing, you like. If some one watches Boxing just for violence, they won't.
I was being sarcastic.

I just don't see what all you guys find so appealing about his style and you haven't given anything except "wow it woz po3try in m0tion".

The Surgeon
02-03-2012, 04:17 PM
No. He was the best and he was a fantastic character but to me his performances IN the ring were not exciting, not very often anyway. He rarely threw to the body (i love good body shots) and he frequently spoiled and clinched (a pet hate of mine)

All the props in the world go to Muhammad but i tend to find him boring for the most part with the odd exception here and there

Forza
02-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Mostly no. Yeah ali-williams is fun because ali is completely destroying williams but a lot of his fights are very long and boring. Don't give me that sweet science bull, ali didn't do anything textbook.

Sugarj
02-03-2012, 04:49 PM
I was being sarcastic.

I just don't see what all you guys find so appealing about his style and you haven't given anything except "wow it woz po3try in m0tion".

I think of Ali as more 'entertaining' than 'exciting'. Big punchers tend to be more exciting because of their ability to end a fight at any given point. Ali of course wasn't a particularly big puncher.

His entertainment came from his talking in the ring, his shuffle, his feigning hurt, his waving people on, his talking in the ring etc. But I was genuinely entertained by his ability to land rapid, fast, accurate punches whilst shuffling and dancing.......and avoiding return punches with reflex alone. No fight embodied this better than the Cleveland Williams fight, his rhythm, reflexes, combinations, grace and accuracy were very impressive.

I suppose we all enjoy seeing different things in our favorite fighters. Some are excited by seeing the art of boxing, hitting and not getting hit in return (P. Whitaker / H. Graham / N. Locche / M. Ali). Some folks hate that style and find aggressive, knockout artists like G. Foreman, M. Tyson or G. McClellan exciting.

I find both entertaining and exciting......but not in the same way.

fvanesbeck
02-03-2012, 05:29 PM
He was exciting in the sense that you don't see fighters like that at heavyweight, but to be honest I think Ali is overrated as a fighter in general. You see these lists of ATG P4P boxers and Sugar Ray Robinson is number 1, with Ali number 2. To me, that's ridiculous!

People rate him higher as a fighter because of the influence he had outside of the ring; because he was an entertainer, and his style was part of that. But I think that people get carried away with the entertainment side of it and rate him higher as a fighter.

Having said that, he was still a great fighter, but if he wasn't such a character he probably wouldn't be in a lot of peoples top 10 all time P4P lists.

Barnburner
02-03-2012, 05:42 PM
He was exciting in the sense that you don't see fighters like that at heavyweight, but to be honest I think Ali is overrated as a fighter in general. You see these lists of ATG P4P boxers and Sugar Ray Robinson is number 1, with Ali number 2. To me, that's ridiculous!

People rate him higher as a fighter because of the influence he had outside of the ring; because he was an entertainer, and his style was part of that. But I think that people get carried away with the entertainment side of it and rate him higher as a fighter.

Having said that, he was still a great fighter, but if he wasn't such a character he probably wouldn't be in a lot of peoples top 10 all time P4P lists.
He probably would. People still rate Joe Louis in the Top 10 and he wasn't the character Ali was. I believe Ali was the best Heavyweight of all time close and clearly so if they're rating Joe Louis in the Top 10 Ali's got to be in there as well!

Ali also holds the record for highest percentage of Top 10 opposition faced.

JAB5239
02-03-2012, 06:39 PM
He probably would. People still rate Joe Louis in the Top 10 and he wasn't the character Ali was. I believe Ali was the best Heavyweight of all time close and clearly so if they're rating Joe Louis in the Top 10 Ali's got to be in there as well!

Ali also holds the record for highest percentage of Top 10 opposition faced.

Neither Louis nor Ali belong in the all time p4p top 10 on my opinion. They're easily the two best heavyweights ever, but p4p has guys who fought and beat much better comp than these 2 great heavyweights.

Barnburner
02-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Neither Louis nor Ali belong in the all time p4p top 10 on my opinion. They're easily the two best heavyweights ever, but p4p has guys who fought and beat much better comp than these 2 great heavyweights.
I think Ali has a fair shout but, Louis doesn't.

I mean the sheer dominance of his contender stat.

Beating HOF: Liston, Patterson, Foster, Moore, Norton, Frazier, Foreman.

As well as beating a host of amazing contenders in the best Heavyweight era of all time and to add to his attributes of dominance he defended the lineal Championship a total of 19 times and won it 3 times. Count that with his amazing past prime victories and producing arguably the greatest win in boxing history against Foreman.

hayZ
02-04-2012, 06:16 PM
He was an exciting fighter because at his peak he was very active, very quick and threw excellent combos. Phenomenal fighter, maybe not as exciting as say Mike Tyson but defo up there.

bojangles1987
02-04-2012, 07:29 PM
I love it. The speed is incredible, just awe inspiring to me.

Ziggy Stardust
02-04-2012, 08:55 PM
I think of Ali as more 'entertaining' than 'exciting'. Big punchers tend to be more exciting because of their ability to end a fight at any given point. Ali of course wasn't a particularly big puncher.

His entertainment came from his talking in the ring, his shuffle, his feigning hurt, his waving people on, his talking in the ring etc. But I was genuinely entertained by his ability to land rapid, fast, accurate punches whilst shuffling and dancing.......and avoiding return punches with reflex alone. No fight embodied this better than the Cleveland Williams fight, his rhythm, reflexes, combinations, grace and accuracy were very impressive.

I suppose we all enjoy seeing different things in our favorite fighters. Some are excited by seeing the art of boxing, hitting and not getting hit in return (P. Whitaker / H. Graham / N. Locche / M. Ali). Some folks hate that style and find aggressive, knockout artists like G. Foreman, M. Tyson or G. McClellan exciting.

I find both entertaining and exciting......but not in the same way.

I think both are aspects of the fight game. A true boxing fan finds things to appreciate about both kinds of fights. If someone is just tuning in to see someone KTFO they really need to switch to MMA since they're just violence freaks and not really boxing fans.

Poet

elfag
02-04-2012, 10:47 PM

Theres 10+ guys who have beat "much better" competition than Ali's resume? really?

Ziggy Stardust
02-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Theres 10+ guys who have beat "much better" competition than Ali's resume? really?

Check out the resumes of some of the Lightweights and Welterweights from the 20s and 30s. Their resumes make even Ali's pale by comparison. Ali has the best hit list among Heavyweights, the problem is that the resume bar for Heavies is about as low as it gets for the original eight weight classes.

Poet

AntonTheMeh
02-04-2012, 11:03 PM
for me? yeah. seeing a big guy like him move the way he did was extraordinary.