View Full Version : Did Hearns have the best Jab of all time p4p?

them_apples
02-02-2012, 11:01 AM
I've been making a lot of threads lately in Boxing history. This one is about the jab.

p4p, Hearns had an incredible jab. It was non telegraphed, fast, and hard. As well as Accurate. It wasn't a lazy jab either.

I can find other great Jabs but Hearns was near perfect.

Liston and Lewis both had long Jabs, Listons was very heavy as well. At the same time they weren't that fast however.

Holmes had a quick snapping jab, an ATG Jab. One can argue it was thrown a lot of the time from the hip however, which means he was open for a counter right (he took from Tyson and Shavers) and it probably wasn't as stiff as it could have been.

Ali had a fast and accurate Jab but he flicked it, wasn't a very stiff Jab.

DLH had a great Jab, similar to Hearns but shorter reach.

Foreman had a great Jab. He didn't telegraph it and it was HEAVY. Not the quickest though.

Whitaker probably had the best southpaw Jab I've ever seen. Probably a shade better than Haglers. He could even land it against boxers much taller than him.

any others?

NChristo
02-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Quartey imo.

Harry Balls
02-02-2012, 11:13 AM
It's not the best jab p4p, but since he seldom gets any praise in this section I'm just gonna say Wladimir Klitschko has a very very good jab. :hijacked:

them_apples
02-02-2012, 11:20 AM
It's not the best jab p4p, but since he seldom gets any praise in this section I'm just gonna say Wladimir Klitschko has a very very good jab. :hijacked:

he does I agree. Even his brother has a good Jab as well.

New England
02-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Quartey imo.

perosnally i think that the HW division is where you see the most impact of the stand alone jab because of the size and range of the men in the ring

they're often so far away from eachother
and they can bust you up without using much other than a jab
if you ask me for great jabbers i'll usually rattle off HW first
holmes
ali
liston

quartey used a jab a bit like a HW
it was a stand alone jab. p4p it's probably the hardest and one of the most consistent.
ba zoo ka

hearns jab was terrific, given how heavy and fast it was, how much range he had, how well he used the distance,
but more importantly it set up a right hand at the correct range that would end the fight.

if anybody wants to make an argument for any of the guys mentioned and quite a few others i'll hear them out
i'll also add to the pot

louis
robinson

MJ223
02-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Possibly.... But I would still side with Ali/Holmes first

Ray Corso
02-02-2012, 01:32 PM
The best overall is Ali because he utilized the punch for a variety of reasons. He used it to set up punches, it was his depth finder he also gauged his opponents reactions off of it and then knew how to counter their counter to it. If he wanted to he could step straight in and pronate at its end and hurt and cut with it. Ali could hook off his jab but his opponents knew well enough not to let that happen because the right hand was coming and that punch is the one they didn't see!
Power wise George Forman was devasting! His jab hurt people simple as that. I worked pads with some pretty hard punching fighters like Ernie Shavers and Mike Tyson and thos punches were hard to catagorize as "jabs"! hahaha!!! Those fellows could hurt you bad if you just stood there!!!
Strangely enough Ken Norton jabs was very good it came from under when he cross armed defended and would cut it loose from there. He had good reach and his punches hurt also.
Joe Louis had a great jab and like Ali used it for a variety of reasons, mostly a reach gauge for that right cross.
The jab is an important punch but when ineffective can get you in alot of trouble, quick! Ray.

The_Demon
02-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Quartey imo.

Beat me too it,he had an incredible jab

IronDanHamza
02-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Harold Johnson's is very underrated.

One of the best in Light Heavyweight History IMO.

Barn
02-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Harold Johnson's is very underrated.

One of the best in Light Heavyweight History IMO.
Another I feel is under-rated is Hagler's. That jab was a piston if I ever saw one. Could switch up too.

As for the original question. Yeah it might well be. Hearns has a number of ATG punches.

Straight Right.
Jab.
Letf Hook/Straight right body.

Sugarj
02-02-2012, 06:52 PM
The best overall is Ali because he utilized the punch for a variety of reasons. He used it to set up punches, it was his depth finder he also gauged his opponents reactions off of it and then knew how to counter their counter to it. If he wanted to he could step straight in and pronate at its end and hurt and cut with it. Ali could hook off his jab but his opponents knew well enough not to let that happen because the right hand was coming and that punch is the one they didn't see!
Power wise George Forman was devasting! His jab hurt people simple as that. I worked pads with some pretty hard punching fighters like Ernie Shavers and Mike Tyson and thos punches were hard to catagorize as "jabs"! hahaha!!! Those fellows could hurt you bad if you just stood there!!!
Strangely enough Ken Norton jabs was very good it came from under when he cross armed defended and would cut it loose from there. He had good reach and his punches hurt also.
Joe Louis had a great jab and like Ali used it for a variety of reasons, mostly a reach gauge for that right cross.
The jab is an important punch but when ineffective can get you in alot of trouble, quick! Ray.

You've held the pads for Shavers and Tyson? Thats superb!!!!

Thread Stealer
03-29-2012, 02:34 AM
I think it's impossible to pick just one. At least for me it is.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qbRtjd5Vepc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HiPhhzRJMSM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hitman Hodgson
03-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Bob Foster's jab would be up there.

wmute
03-29-2012, 10:55 AM
Don't laugh... what do you guys think of Camacho's jab?

New England
03-29-2012, 10:58 AM
sonny liston

hon mention to muhammad ali

wmute
03-29-2012, 10:58 AM
I think it's impossible to pick just one. At least for me it is.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qbRtjd5Vepc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HiPhhzRJMSM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This reminds me of how the late 70s-early 80s. Top tier ATG in pretty much any division.

wmute
03-29-2012, 10:59 AM
sonny liston

hon mention to muhammad ali

massive cosig to Liston. seems you are the first to mention him.

Mintcar923
03-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Hearns, Hopkins, Holmes and Louis had the best jabs I'd ever seen... Even Buster Douglas had an awesome jabbing ability on his best days.

Flo_Raiden
03-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Mike McCallum and Winky Wright deserves a mention.

TBear
03-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Hearns, Hopkins, Holmes and Louis had the best jabs I'd ever seen... Even Buster Douglas had an awesome jabbing ability on his best days.

That's a good list. I goog think of a few to add but it's a good start!

SCtrojansbaby
03-31-2012, 12:05 AM
1.Holmes
2.Monzon

undisputed top 2 IMO

A few other ATG ones that haven't been mentioned so far are Barrera, Starling, and the greatest southpaw jab ever, Winky Wright

Some of the best jabs today belong to Miguel Vasquez and Yoan Pablo Hernandez

F l i c k e r
03-31-2012, 12:18 AM
No such thing as a p4p jab. A jab is a jab regardless of the size.

Hearns' jab was good though. Earned fame and cult popularity from it.

I'm not really in the mind to think about who's jab, I liked the most but Hearns' jab was a really good one.

rorymac
04-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Hearns had a great jab. He could pepper with it and do damage with it.

Holmes and Ali obviously stand out above most of the rest. I like Liston and Wlad too.

By the way I was just watching some Malignaggi footage, he actually has a really good jab. Not claiming he's up there with the names others have mentioned though haha

Ray Corso
04-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Tommy Hearns at times would "row" his jab (return it low) and when he stepped to long with it could be countered (left hook)and be caught off balanced but it wasn't an easy task because of Tommy's over all length. The Kronk boxers were known for working their jabs hard and often and was certainly the set up shot to see how their opponents handled it. I remember handling Fellie Marquez against Stevie McCroy (Kronk fighter) and Fellie had a hard time getting by Stevies jab and Fellie was an excellant technician too. My son fought Sting Ray Johnson in the finals at the Ohio State Fair Nationals (J.O. elimination national tourny)and he also had a tuff time working off Rays jab. Manny insisted that hard work and lots of time be put into the development of his fighters jabs.
The jab is the key to open most doors with, not all but most! Ray.

lexi Arquello had a hard jab too!!

IIIX JACK XIII
04-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Not the best jab ever but, that being said it was one hell of a jab

BIg Smoke
04-02-2012, 11:06 PM
the two best jabs I've seen IMO are Michael Spinks and Marvin Hagler.

Mintcar923
04-06-2012, 07:06 PM
the two best jabs I've seen IMO are Michael Spinks and Marvin Hagler.

I think you may have a point. Nobody really mentions those two when it comes to jabs but I suppose you're right if you think about it.