View Full Version : Who would be your ultimate pick at 147 to beat Floyd?

them_apples
02-02-2012, 09:28 AM
I always said Roberto Duran. He's the one to stomp on that 0. Everyone else You can't say yay or nay. Duran would simply be too strong and too good, Floyd has nothing to keep Duran off of him. He would laugh at Floyds punches.

Opinions?

NChristo
02-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Bit of a generic pick but Tommy Hearns really is the man best equipped too beat Floyd.

MJ223
02-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Good pick......

Here's another

Ray Corso
02-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Sugarman
Roberto Duran
Ray Leonard
Marlon Starling
Mark Breland
Tommy Hearns
Aaron Pryor
Lloyd Honnyghan
Donald Curry
........theres others but heres a few that could. Anyone with above average power would be able to shake Mayweather off the ropes and into fighting, then everyone would see a better fighter than he is now but he'd loose a few. Theres no shame in a loss when your opponent is repected for who he is and how he conducts himself in and out of the ring. All of Floyds opponents have been carefully picked as he came up in the ranks just like any of the modern day high prospects. Hes never fought anyone that came in with real power and enough skill to get him off the ropes then be aware of power. Hatton was a club fighter at best and the others we're all past their time. Shane Moslrey in his primes 10 years ago would give Mayweather all he wants and Shane had average power but his skill level was high. How would Floyd fair against the fellows above who fought each other a couple a times a year? You could through in Pepino Cuevas and Wilfred Benetez but Floyd and Wilfred together might make a great video for insomnia!!!! Ray

Barn
02-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Both Sugar Rays, Hearns and maybe Armstrong.

them_apples
02-02-2012, 10:51 AM
I'm talking fighter who have a high chance of winning. not just a shot.

I like Hearns and possibly Robinson. Both could crack, are considerably taller and at WW had lots of stamina and good chins. Both ATG's.

SRL has a chance IMO but he shouldn't be on the list because it would just be a boxing match. Armstrong as well IMO wouldn't make the cut, too open and not a devastating puncher.

I'd give Hearns a huge shot at both stopping Floyd or decisioning him. Even if Floyd could avoid getting tagged flush, I don't see him doing enough himself to win a decision. Benitez was a defensive first fighter himself and just ended up not doing enough. Hearns reach and boxing skills would be more than enough.

Harry Balls
02-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Bit of a generic pick but Tommy Hearns really is the man best equipped too beat Floyd.
This was my thought when i read the topic. Don't think you could even design a fighter more suitable for the job than Tommy.

MJ223
02-02-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm talking fighter who have a high chance of winning. not just a shot.

I like Hearns and possibly Robinson. Both could crack, are considerably taller and at WW had lots of stamina and good chins. Both ATG's.

SRL has a chance IMO but he shouldn't be on the list because it would just be a boxing match. Armstrong as well IMO wouldn't make the cut, too open and not a devastating puncher.

I'd give Hearns a huge shot at both stopping Floyd or decisioning him. Even if Floyd could avoid getting tagged flush, I don't see him doing enough himself to win a decision. Benitez was a defensive first fighter himself and just ended up not doing enough. Hearns reach and boxing skills would be more than enough.

Interesting quote considering in his biggest fights the only person he didn't KO/make quit was Hagler..... Duran Benitez and even Hearns qualify..... At 147 and with Ray in his prime I think Floyd would 2 considering 147 isn't Floyd's best weight......

The_Demon
02-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Hearns is the fighter you are looking for my man,whilst Duran is great and would most likely beat Floyd at 147,the hitman is the perfect guy for the job

Miburo
02-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Hearns is easily his worst historical match-up.

Prince Mongo
02-02-2012, 01:58 PM
It has to be Thomas Hearns. His size,skill,power and speed would cause Mayweather huge problems. SRL has a the tools also. I find it interesting that no one has mentioned Pacman but again after the Marquez performance it is a given he will lose against Mayweather.

IronDanHamza
02-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Hearns, Robinson and Leonard.

But there's plenty.

kendom
02-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Hearns, Robinson and Leonard.

But there's plenty.

Very true, Kid Gavilian, Basilio, Burley ....

Barn
02-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Very true, Kid Gavilian, Basilio, Burley ....
Don't think Basilio's style matches that well.

New England
02-02-2012, 04:06 PM
if i can pick from any WW in history i'm certanly not going with duran

tommy hearns
easy answer
best answer in my opinion

his size, boxing skills, speed, punching power, and aggression would be far too much for floyd to handle

trying to box with somebody who holds phsysical advantages like those is next to impossible
floyd would have to fight. i dont think he does, but i think he'd eventually start getting hit with right right hands and jabbed back to the ropes when he tries to box

TKO 10

THE REED™
02-02-2012, 04:07 PM
What everyone else said.

TintaBoricua
02-02-2012, 04:26 PM
It has to be Thomas Hearns. His size,skill,power and speed would cause Mayweather huge problems. SRL has a the tools also. I find it interesting that no one has mentioned Pacman but again after the Marquez performance it is a given he will lose against Mayweather.

This just goes to show you how stacked and how good the fighters in the 80's were.

You have someone like Thomas Hearns who, when taken into consideration against the other big three, is 1-3-1.

Yet despite having a losing record among those three, you can say that he'd be a very heavy favorite to beat Mayweather because of his abnormal reach, a god-like straight right hand, and toughness to boot. He could box, he could punch, he was always a LITTLE chinny as he progressed in his career but in his prime he was a fearsome fighter.

Floyd would have to avoid that magnum of a right hand, find a way to make Tommy look bad by outboxing him considering he's the shorter fighter, but I just think that with what Tommy went through, it is very safe to say that a prime Hearns gives Floyd a mess of a fight.

Barn
02-02-2012, 04:44 PM
This just goes to show you how stacked and how good the fighters in the 80's were.

You have someone like Thomas Hearns who, when taken into consideration against the other big three, is 1-3-1.

Yet despite having a losing record among those three, you can say that he'd be a very heavy favorite to beat Mayweather because of his abnormal reach, a god-like straight right hand, and toughness to boot. He could box, he could punch, he was always a LITTLE chinny as he progressed in his career but in his prime he was a fearsome fighter.

Floyd would have to avoid that magnum of a right hand, find a way to make Tommy look bad by outboxing him considering he's the shorter fighter, but I just think that with what Tommy went through, it is very safe to say that a prime Hearns gives Floyd a mess of a fight.
Hearns would most definitely benefit from a 12 round era, his stamina and chin is what cost him in the big fights.

Ray Corso
02-02-2012, 06:27 PM
I purposely left out the fighters from gone bye eras. Bassillo and Gavillan would be salivating to fight him. People like Bassillo have been missing in boxing for a long time. That guy was maxium effort and win at all cost. They would make Mayweather a better fighter and theres no doubt in my mind about that. He would be taught the main ingrediant he hasn't needed yet. What those individual old times lacked they made up for in max efforts and pride and will to win. They also understood that they had to make the fight exciting or the arenas wouldn't be at capacity. Remember NO tv NO pay per view! It was live performances, and counter punchers were NOT in demand actually they never made it to the big money. Ray.

talip bin osman
02-02-2012, 06:34 PM
im not really sure if these men could beat PBF, (its more of a pick'em for me...)

donald curry and jose napoles...

it would be an absolute delightful spectacle for the purists though...

Barn
02-02-2012, 06:40 PM
im not really sure if these men could beat PBF, (its more of a pick'em for me...)

donald curry and jose napoles...

it would be an absolute delightful spectacle for the purists though...
Jose Napoles vs Mayweather! Napoles might have the best style ever.

Barn
02-02-2012, 06:42 PM
I purposely left out the fighters from gone bye eras. Bassillo and Gavillan would be salivating to fight him. People like Bassillo have been missing in boxing for a long time. That guy was maxium effort and win at all cost. They would make Mayweather a better fighter and theres no doubt in my mind about that. He would be taught the main ingrediant he hasn't needed yet. What those individual old times lacked they made up for in max efforts and pride and will to win. They also understood that they had to make the fight exciting or the arenas wouldn't be at capacity. Remember NO tv NO pay per view! It was live performances, and counter punchers were NOT in demand actually they never made it to the big money. Ray.
I think it's unfair saying Mayweather doesn't have a will to win. He trains hard for every fight regardless and always appears in tip-top condition. Always seems very determined and has that malice look on his face as he pounds opponents with lead rights.

There is no doubt in my mind if the going got tough Mayweather could deal with it.

talip bin osman
02-02-2012, 06:44 PM

PBF is a bit more athletic, but napoles had all the tricks and the temperament to get things done...

IronDanHamza
02-02-2012, 07:09 PM

Mayweather KO1 Napoles.

Barn
02-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Mayweather KO1 Napoles.
Could have gotten away with TKO1.

First lead right Floyd lands Napoles face explodes into a blood volcano the equivalent of Vesuvius.

In fact Napoles KO1, after Mayweather drowns in the contents of a Napoles cut.

IronDanHamza
02-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Could have gotten away with TKO1.

First lead right Floyd lands Napoles face explodes into a blood volcano the equivalent of Vesuvius.

In fact Napoles KO1, after Mayweather drowns in the contents of a Napoles cut.

I think that's possible.

But I think as soon as Mayweather lands on that glass chin he's going to sleep is more likely.

Barn
02-02-2012, 07:22 PM
I think that's possible.

But I think as soon as Mayweather lands on that glass chin he's going to sleep is more likely.
More likely as soon as he lands on Mantequilla his itty bitty brittle hands will crack.

ghns1133
02-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Duran would be my first choice but i think thommy is his worst nightmare. I want him to lose to someone. I would like it if some new guy who is the real deal to beat pac and meaweather so we can end this bullish*t Dick around.

House of Stone
02-02-2012, 07:47 PM
I always pick tommy hearns for this sort of thing.

kendom
02-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Don't think Basilio's style matches that well.

Why not? Pressure style, good combinations and very strong, why does he not match up well with Mayweather, I see him putting too much pressure on Mayweather to be honest

Ziggy Stardust
02-03-2012, 06:02 PM
There's several I'd pick at 147 to beat Mayweather; but Robinson, Leonard, and Hearns I'd pick to knock him out. Let's face it: 147 is NOT Floyd's best weight by any stretch of the imagination.

Poet

Barn
02-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Why not? Pressure style, good combinations and very strong, why does he not match up well with Mayweather, I see him putting too much pressure on Mayweather to be honest
I suppose that could cause difficulty but I just don't fancy rugged aggressive fighters like Basilio coping well with Floyd's precision. Basilio's best chance is to hope his face doesn't get turned into Ragu sauce and outwork and outhustle Floyd which I think is a definite possibility.

I just don't know on this match, I just see speedy lead rights in my head. Floyd moving, never standing still to let Basilio work on him. Hit and clinch/step all the time.

Ziggy Stardust
02-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Bear in mind previous generations of boxing judges are unlikely to be as generous towards Floyd's potshotting and avoiding engaging his opponent.

Poet

Barn
02-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Bear in mind previous generations of boxing judges are unlikely to be as generous towards Floyd's potshotting and avoiding engaging his opponent.

Poet
Yeah that did piss me off, especially in the Hatton fight.

Oh wow Floyd's landed a good punch *hold*.

IronDanHamza
02-03-2012, 08:54 PM

Poet

If only they didn't decide to have a night off for the Harold Johnson-Pastrano fight because if anyone ever want's to see the most blatant display of a fighter wearing his track shoes then just watch that fight.

Barn
02-03-2012, 08:59 PM
If only they didn't decide to have a night off for the Harold Johnson-Pastrano fight because if anyone ever want's to see the most blatant display of a fighter wearing his track shoes then just watch that fight.
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0714IbwC3HA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ziggy Stardust
02-03-2012, 09:23 PM

Case in point: Watch Duran-Leonard II. Leonard's potshotting and showboating didn't exactly translate into a huge lead on the cards.

Poet

IronDanHamza
02-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Case in point: Watch Duran-Leonard II. Leonard's potshotting and showboating didn't exactly translate into a huge lead on the cards.

Poet

Yeah.

Leonard's "lead" is blown out of proportion anyway.

Barn
02-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Yeah.

Leonard's "lead" is blown out of proportion anyway.
Two rounds max.

Duran was definitely ill-prepared for that bout though, he just didn't look sharp. Although there were rounds when he did land some good shots on Leonard after getting him on the ropes.

crold1
02-03-2012, 09:36 PM

There's lots I'd pick at 47, but if I had to bet my house, it's Tommy.

joseph5620
02-03-2012, 10:32 PM
There's lots I'd pick at 47, but if I had to bet my house, it's Tommy.

That would be my first pick because Hearns had the ability to outbox Mayweather or bomb him out. The height, reach, Jab, power would be too much for Mayweather.

There is a good number I would pick at 147 but Hearns stands out for me.

crold1
02-03-2012, 11:04 PM
That would be my first pick because Hearns had the ability to outbox Mayweather or bomb him out. The height, reach, Jab, power would be too much for Mayweather.

There is a good number I would pick at 147 but Hearns stands out for me.

I know Leonard, Griffith and Robinson would beat him too but if anyone of them was (WAY) off, they could lose in some scenario. I don't see one single way for Floyd to beat Hearns.

crold1
02-03-2012, 11:07 PM
I think that's possible.

I'm thinking you're being funny but just double checking...

Harry Balls
02-04-2012, 08:24 AM
how would a fight between Charley Burley and Floyd play out?

Barn
02-04-2012, 08:39 AM
how would a fight between Charley Burley and Floyd play out?
I think Floyd would win a decision, 8-4 type.

The reason being they have both similar qualities, good potshotters, great defence and very crafty.

I believe Mayweather edges it as he hits harder and more effectively. Burley would be forced to do the leading in this fight where I don't think he would be as effective as his usual counter-punching self. Burley is crafty enough to make it difficult and frustrating for Floyd though.

Burley would also be forced to do the leading, as Floyd certainly wouldn't. Taking him out of his comfort zone a little and playing into Mayweather's hands.

In my opinion Burley has become over-played slightly due to the whole Robinson fiasco. A fight which in my eyes would be Robinson's.

Another problem in predicting this match-up is we only have footage of Burley fighting a bigger Oakland Billy Smith. I think Burley's style would be much more effective against men his height or smaller. Although that is a mere assumption at this point.

IronDanHamza
02-04-2012, 10:17 AM
I'm thinking you're being funny but just double checking...

Of course I am :lol1:

Just trying to piss off NChristo.

NChristo
02-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Of course I am :lol1:

Just trying to piss off NChristo.

It worked, been trying my hardest too ignore 24 onwards :lol1:.

I believe Mayweather edges it as he hits harder and more effectively.
Wouldn't say Mayweather hit harder then Burley, that's a bit of a stretch.

Barn
02-04-2012, 10:47 AM
It worked, been trying my hardest too ignore 24 onwards :lol1:.

Wouldn't say Mayweather hit harder then Burley, that's a bit of a stretch.
Burley doesn't seem to be hitting all that hard in the footage we have:

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zYFu7s37md4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NChristo
02-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Burley doesn't seem to be hitting all that hard in the footage we have:

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zYFu7s37md4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The footage of a out of shape, past it Burley against a Light Heavy Smith ?.

Burley knocked out Jack Chase who was only ever been KO'd by Archie Moore and Gervant early in his career, knocked out Heavyweight Elmer Ray and Jersey Joe Walcott in sparring (Yeah yeah it's sparring, but knocking out 2 recognized Heavyweights while being a Welterweight ?)

Barn
02-04-2012, 11:21 AM
The footage of a out of shape, past it Burley against a Light Heavy Smith ?.

Burley knocked out Jack Chase who was only ever been KO'd by Archie Moore and Gervant early in his career, knocked out Heavyweight Elmer Ray and Jersey Joe Walcott in sparring (Yeah yeah it's sparring, but knocking out 2 recognized Heavyweights while being a Welterweight ?)
I've never heard the sparring stories, is there an article or whatnot?

It's the only footage we have. If he could KO HW's then surely the whole LHW issue isn't a problem? He was a little past prime for the fight but, by no means shot. Possibly a little out of shape but, only weighed half a pound over MW.

Without footage knockout's are subjective, I mean Arguello vs Pryor II was declared a "KO." It didn't prove anything about Pryor's power though.

NChristo
02-04-2012, 11:48 AM
I've never heard the sparring stories, is there an article or whatnot?

It's the only footage we have. If he could KO HW's then surely the whole LHW issue isn't a problem? He was a little past prime for the fight but, by no means shot. Possibly a little out of shape but, only weighed half a pound over MW.

Without footage knockout's are subjective, I mean Arguello vs Pryor II was declared a "KO." It didn't prove anything about Pryor's power though.

The Elmer Ray is probably one of the more famous stories about Burley, you've never heard it ?, Ray tried too embarrass Burley and made fun of him because of the size difference and Burley caught him cold. It's in the Murderer's Row book as is the Walcott story I think.

A little past prime ?, Burley's prime was as a Welterweight, because he was a natural Welterweight, not a Middleweight.

But with
"But in the 9th Chase took a series of rights to the head which felled him flat on his face. He attempted to crawl to his feet at the ten count, but collapsed and had to be helped to his corner."
Being the only thing that we can go on, one could probably assume that Burley knocked him out.

When has Mayweather shown any great display of power too rank him over someone who knocked out Middleweights ?.

Barn
02-04-2012, 02:48 PM
The Elmer Ray is probably one of the more famous stories about Burley, you've never heard it ?, Ray tried too embarrass Burley and made fun of him because of the size difference and Burley caught him cold. It's in the Murderer's Row book as is the Walcott story I think.

A little past prime ?, Burley's prime was as a Welterweight, because he was a natural Welterweight, not a Middleweight.

But with
"But in the 9th Chase took a series of rights to the head which felled him flat on his face. He attempted to crawl to his feet at the ten count, but collapsed and had to be helped to his corner."
Being the only thing that we can go on, one could probably assume that Burley knocked him out.

When has Mayweather shown any great display of power too rank him over someone who knocked out Middleweights ?.
I think I'll just bite the bullet and admit I'm wrong now. :lol1:

elfag
02-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Hearns and SRL would be a more gauranteed win than Duran. With Duran, PBF atleast has a speed and reach advantage on and he would use his footwork to keep the distance. Hearns would probably be impossible for floyd to beat, Floyd is troubled by good jabs and Hearns had very good speed, he could outbox floyd on the outside and with his size and power, floyd wouldnt want to try to be the aggressor so he would end up fighting him on the outside and getting outboxed. If he tried to back him up, Hearns has the speed to catch him clean too so I dont think he would do it but he could get stopped if he tries.

elfag
02-04-2012, 11:15 PM

For good reason though, the only two guys that have won anything more than 2 rounds against floyd were zab and DLH and that was by having a good fast jab. People still like to bring up the first castillo fight but that was 10 years ago at 135 and floyd beat him easily in an immediate rematch, I am not convinced pressure fighting is the easiest way to beat floyd, a good jab on the outside is but only someone top notch like hearns or winky could do it. For the record SRL as well but hearns has the best qualities to beat PBF at 147.

NChristo
02-04-2012, 11:19 PM
I think I'll just bite the bullet and admit I'm wrong now. :lol1:

The stubborn Scot admitting defeat to an English man ?.
http://i2.listal.com/image/3101371/300full.jpg

BigStereotype
02-04-2012, 11:54 PM
I remember when I first watched Leonard-Hearns I, I just kept thinking to myself "Jesus...Hearns is as bad a matchup for Floyd Mayweather as you could find." That jab, the power, his defense, and most of all, his range and awkward rhythm. Mayweather would have tremendous difficulty countering such an awkward, long fighter with such speed and would definitely not be able to pressure Hearns or walk him down. I think Mayweather gets knocked out and that's coming from someone with MASSIVE respect for Floyd Mayweather as a boxer.

Barn
02-05-2012, 12:25 AM
The stubborn Scot admitting defeat to an English man ?.
http://i2.listal.com/image/3101371/300full.jpg
I wasn't defeated, I was taught. :)

Defeated is Bannockburn 1314.

NChristo
02-05-2012, 12:31 AM
I wasn't defeated, I was taught. :)

Defeated is Bannockburn 1314.

Touché sir.

Barn
02-05-2012, 12:34 AM
Touché sir.
Good night of fights today. Cunningham vs Hernandez was awesome, Donaire vs Vasquez Jr was great and Chavez Jr vs Rubio was good.

Did you catch any of the prelim fights? Some of them were a good laugh.

NChristo
02-05-2012, 12:39 AM
Good night of fights today. Cunningham vs Hernandez was awesome, Donaire vs Vasquez Jr was great and Chavez Jr vs Rubio was good.

Did you catch any of the prelim fights? Some of them were a good laugh.

Got in from work at quarter too 4ish and have had some **** too do. Didn't catch much of any of the fights :/ last few rounds of God vs Rubio which were pretty fun, gonna download the other 2 fights in a bit.

Barn
02-05-2012, 12:46 AM
Got in from work at quarter too 4ish and have had some **** too do. Didn't catch much of any of the fights :/ last few rounds of God vs Rubio which were pretty fun, gonna download the other 2 fights in a bit.
One of the prelim fights was just hilarious. This guy who was 0-1 from Cameroon fighting a former England amateur squad captain who was 7-1.

Man the Cameroon guy was so crude it was ridiculous but, definitely won 2 of the 6 rounds. He would bring his hands down before throwing uppercuts, wail away with hooks via rotating his hips and basically letting his arms fly wherever.
He also continuously showboated, literally running about the ring, jumping on the spot and putting his hands behind his back. Great laugh.

House of Stone
02-05-2012, 05:07 AM
nobody outboxes tommy hearns

The Surgeon
02-05-2012, 07:33 AM
Im gonna say the obvious and stick with Tommy The Hitman Hearns, height, range, speed, killer power, skill.... the works he is a nightmare match for Mayweathern't

Tommy had two weakness's which infact weren't even weakness's but just parts of his game less impressive than the others, his stamina and his chin. Floyd is no big puncher so Tommy's perceived weakness in chin shouldn't be a problem and his stamina saw him through the 15rounder days so a 12 round bout against a guy with Floy'ds work rate should be a breeze

bojangles1987
02-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Im gonna say the obvious and stick with Tommy The Hitman Hearns, height, range, speed, killer power, skill.... the works he is a nightmare match for Mayweathern't

Tommy had two weakness's which infact weren't even weakness's but just parts of his game less impressive than the others, his stamina and his chin. Floyd is no big puncher so Tommy's perceived weakness in chin shouldn't be a problem and his stamina saw him through the 15rounder days so a 12 round bout against a guy with Floy'ds work rate should be a breeze

That should be the pick because Hearns could not be outboxed at 147. The height, the power, the boxing ability, it's somewhat an unfair matchup for Mayweather, who is a small guy at the weight.

I am tyler
02-05-2012, 11:52 AM
This.

Always thought that it would take someone like Hearns to beat Floyd. Duran is a great shout too.

wmute
02-05-2012, 01:43 PM
most ATG *NATURAL* 147 fighter can, mostly cos they are all bigger. The really hard thing is finding someone at 135-140 to beat PBF.

Ziggy Stardust
02-05-2012, 01:45 PM
most ATG *NATURAL* 147 fighter can, mostly cos they are all bigger. The really hard thing is finding someone at 135-140 to beat PBF.

At Lightweight, Duran, Whitaker, Gans, ect.

Barn
02-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Duran would be absolute hell.

UnDeniable
02-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Duran would be absolute hell.

Floyd would make him look bad but Duran would probably pull out the decision win

talip bin osman
02-05-2012, 06:12 PM

wmute! hower u doin man?

hammering hank... if PBF struggled against castillo in their first fight, can u just imagine what an ATG pressure fighter will fare against him?

hank was quite one dimensional, but just look up the scalps in his resume...

sluggers, boxer punchers, sweet moving boxers, swarmers, bigger guys... man, he beat em all...

wmute
02-07-2012, 08:13 AM

I would never bet against mayweather at 135-140. He is certainly likely to lose to someone in that list but I would not bet on those fights unless I was given very good odds one way or the other.

First let me add Benny Leonard to the list.

Gans and Leonard are too far away in time for me to do some "serious fantasy fighting" (whatever that means) involving them. Note I rated Gans as the best ever p4p for some time, and I certainly still consider him on the very top, just it is hard for me to pick him or against him. Between the two I would say Gans would have a better time with PBF.

Armstrong, Duran, and Whitaker are of course great picks as they probably qualify for the best lightweights after WW2. I would consider them slightly better at what they do than PBF is at anything, but I also consider slightly less complete and prone to adapt. To me it is -again- very hard to pick.

I would like to add to the conversation Pryor (who I would bet against but would make for the best fight involving Mayweather) and Napoles who was not a real welter, and had the kind of smooth offense to give Mayweather hell.

Finally, and perhaps more interestingly. I would like to attract attention to Ike Williams (also hard to pick) for the following reason. He brings a toolbox, which is kind of the same as PBF's. Mayweather has beaten all styles put in front of him. The only kind of fighter he is missing in the list is not a fighter with a particular style, but rather a fighter who is trained in all the subtleties of the game, just as prone to adaptation, and possibly from his a similar school.

When it comes to versatility and ring IQ, PBF is head and shoulder above the rest of today's fighters, but put him back to say the 40s and things would be widely different. And the best lightweight of those times? Ike Williams.

wmute
02-07-2012, 08:27 AM
wmute! hower u doin man?

hammering hank... if PBF struggled against castillo in their first fight, can u just imagine what an ATG pressure fighter will fare against him?

hank was quite one dimensional, but just look up the scalps in his resume...

sluggers, boxer punchers, sweet moving boxers, swarmers, bigger guys... man, he beat em all...

sup man. I am doing great, although very busy (as testified by my long absence) how you doin yourself?

I would not put more stock in the first Castillo fight than I would on the Duran-De Jesus 1.

Armstrong is a great pick as I was also noting in my other post. The fact that he beat all sorts of styles is a testament to how "educated" of a pressure fighter he actually was. However, he would be dealing with some serious height/reach disadvantage there.

This is a problem I have in general with fantasy matchups across eras, moreso when different weigh-in day is involved (as it is the case for pretty much all interesting fantasy fights involving Mayweather). Benny Leonard for example would be too small.

On this note, let me drag you in my latest idea too. Ike Williams was 5'9"...

wmute
02-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Oh just to make things clear, I do not think that Mayweather with a career that will end with less than 50 fights is "greater" than any of the names I mentioned (except for Mantequilla, the Hawk, and -depending on how PBF ages- Sweet Pea), just I have a very hard time picking against him head to head when he is fighting guys his size (just like I would no really bet against the other guys mentioned, not on even odds at least)

joseph5620
02-07-2012, 03:27 PM

I think 130 would be the hardest weight to beat Mayweather.

CarlosG815
02-07-2012, 05:06 PM
At 147 Tommy Hearns would knock him out.

Ray Corso
02-07-2012, 05:22 PM
In regard to size especially so-called height advantage! The fighter thats giving away a few inches in height on a regular bases is used to it. If their excellant fighters then the tall opponent is at a disadvantage. I'm not sure when this started, I'd guess its when real "in" fighting wasn't allowed by refs and that the generation of fight trainers that knew how to teach it correctly has passed on. Tall, long armed boxer are at a disadvantage once their forced to fight inside and not every shorter fighter needs to take abuse getting in theres plenty of ordinary taller opponents.
If you look at the best welters of all time Mayweather would be "giving away" height all the time.
Sugar Ray
Ray Leonard
Tommy Hearns
Canzaneri
Kid Gavellin
..................etc theres plenty more, then theres the shorter ones that could defeat him also. Bottom line its just yaking because its NOT happening. I do believe that Floyd could fight in any era and do well but if it was in the 30s thru the 60s he'd have to fight more often. Not just monthly but during the rounds also. Countering just didn't sell tickets its a fact and talented counters were included. He could compete because hes an athlete and has the boxing knowledge. Ray.

GoogleMe
02-08-2012, 03:06 AM
Seriously, welterweight is NOT Floyd Mayweathers best weight. He's actually kinda small.
But at 130-140, he would be a handfull for EVERYONE. At those weights he could exchange, had decent power and lightning speed.

At WW (not Durans best weight either, but I'll give him a good shot) Sugar Ray Robinson, Sugar Ray Leonard, and Tommy Hearns would be my best bet. Mark Breland and so on I wouldn't favor to beat FLoyd.

wmute
02-08-2012, 09:25 AM
In regard to size especially so-called height advantage! The fighter thats giving away a few inches in height on a regular bases is used to it. If their excellant fighters then the tall opponent is at a disadvantage. I'm not sure when this started, I'd guess its when real "in" fighting wasn't allowed by refs and that the generation of fight trainers that knew how to teach it correctly has passed on. Tall, long armed boxer are at a disadvantage once their forced to fight inside and not every shorter fighter needs to take abuse getting in theres plenty of ordinary taller opponents.
If you look at the best welters of all time Mayweather would be "giving away" height all the time.
Sugar Ray
Ray Leonard
Tommy Hearns
Canzaneri
Kid Gavellin
..................etc theres plenty more, then theres the shorter ones that could defeat him also. Bottom line its just yaking because its NOT happening. I do believe that Floyd could fight in any era and do well but if it was in the 30s thru the 60s he'd have to fight more often. Not just monthly but during the rounds also. Countering just didn't sell tickets its a fact and talented counters were included. He could compete because hes an athlete and has the boxing knowledge. Ray.

Reach is a much bigger problem than height...

C.Y.
02-11-2012, 12:30 AM
As muchs I like Duran, he would get his ass whooped.. As much as i dislike Leonard, he would have a good chance as well as Tommy Hearns

Ziggy Stardust
02-11-2012, 12:33 AM
It really isn't that hard to find them. Contrary to what Floyd's slavishly devoted nuthuggers believe as Holy Writ Floyd is NOT the GOAT.....not even close.

Poet

wmute
02-11-2012, 05:42 AM
It really isn't that hard to find them. Contrary to what Floyd's slavishly devoted nuthuggers believe as Holy Writ Floyd is NOT the GOAT.....not even close.

Poet

My man, did you ever consider that the number of posts along these lines you make, suggest that you have a similarly distorted perception of Mayweather's place in the sport, as any ***** does? Only yours is distorted the other way round. Not so much the content of each post, just the sheer number.

Mikhnienko
02-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Basilio get a mention yet?

Ziggy Stardust
02-11-2012, 12:53 PM
My man, did you ever consider that the number of posts along these lines you make, suggest that you have a similarly distorted perception of Mayweather's place in the sport, as any ***** does? Only yours is distorted the other way round. Not so much the content of each post, just the sheer number.

The number of posts is in direct proportion to the volume of and level of obnoxiousness the particular group of nuthuggers.

Poet

wmute
02-11-2012, 04:10 PM
The number of posts is in direct proportion to the volume of and level of obnoxiousness the particular group of nuthuggers.

Poet

1) That does not change the effect described in my previous post.

2) If what you say above was true, you should be spending your time writing a comparable number of similar posts about Pacquiao, but you do not do that. Far from me to encourage you to do so, but that would be coherent with the logic you outline above.

Ziggy Stardust
02-11-2012, 05:00 PM
1) That does not change the effect described in my previous post.

2) If what you say above was true, you should be spending your time writing a comparable number of similar posts about Pacquiao, but you do not do that. Far from me to encourage you to do so, but that would be coherent with the logic you outline above.

Here's the problem. *******s post mostly in the Pinoy lounge where I seriously couldn't give a sh1t what anybody posts. I don't go in there. When they DO come into NSB, they primarily compare their hero to Mayweather who is an active rival. *****s, on the other hand, flood NSB with their threads (not surprising since unlike the Pinoys they don't have their own lounge to do 90% of their hero worshiping in). Worse, unlike the Pinoys, they constantly make comparisons between their hero and past greats. You generally don't see NSB threads where flaming *******s are comparing the likes of Ray Robinson or Roberto Duran and saying their hero is light-years better then those "old fossils". You DO see *****s making those comparisons CONSTANTLY. On the rare occasions when I've seen a ******* make that kind of comparison I've been quick to slap it down. When that happens said ******* will slink off to the Pinoy lounge (were, again, I couldn't care less what they say there) to b1tch about it. The ***** will stay (since hell, where else are they going to go?) and drag out the argument.

If *****s would content themselves with comparing the object of their man-love to his active rival I most likely wouldn't even notice their threads.....but they aren't capable of doing that now are they?

Poet

fvanesbeck
02-11-2012, 09:00 PM
If Tommy Hearns had the opening that Mosley had in round 2 of his fight with Mayweather, Floyd would be out cold in an instant. Just like what Tommy did to Duran.....

Mike Tyson77
02-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Basilio get a mention yet?

The upstate onion farmer would give anyone a run for there money. He's one the greatest ever.

them_apples
02-12-2012, 01:54 AM
The upstate onion farmer would give anyone a run for there money. He's one the greatest ever.

Basilio was a beast. I've been watching a lot of him lately from what I can find. Not so much defensively, but his style is similar to Juan Roldans only Basilio seems to have an iron chin and unlimited stamina.

Mike Tyson77
02-12-2012, 02:08 AM
Basilio was a beast. I've been watching a lot of him lately from what I can find. Not so much defensively, but his style is similar to Juan Roldans only Basilio seems to have an iron chin and unlimited stamina.

Basilio had guts, a tough son of a *****. Before he fought SRR, a reporter said.."9 out of 10 sports writers say you cant win." He replyed, "9 of em are wrong."

Starof David
02-12-2012, 02:19 AM
Henry Armstrong
Emile Griffith
Jose Napoles
Mickey Walker
Carmen Basilio
Ray Robinson
Ray Leonard
Thomas Hearns

Don't know about ultimate but I am sure these guys could.

wmute
02-12-2012, 03:13 AM
Here's the problem. *******s post mostly in the Pinoy lounge where I seriously couldn't give a sh1t what anybody posts. I don't go in there. When they DO come into NSB, they primarily compare their hero to Mayweather who is an active rival. *****s, on the other hand, flood NSB with their threads (not surprising since unlike the Pinoys they don't have their own lounge to do 90% of their hero worshiping in). Worse, unlike the Pinoys, they constantly make comparisons between their hero and past greats. You generally don't see NSB threads where flaming *******s are comparing the likes of Ray Robinson or Roberto Duran and saying their hero is light-years better then those "old fossils". You DO see *****s making those comparisons CONSTANTLY. On the rare occasions when I've seen a ******* make that kind of comparison I've been quick to slap it down. When that happens said ******* will slink off to the Pinoy lounge (were, again, I couldn't care less what they say there) to b1tch about it. The ***** will stay (since hell, where else are they going to go?) and drag out the argument.

If *****s would content themselves with comparing the object of their man-love to his active rival I most likely wouldn't even notice their threads.....but they aren't capable of doing that now are they?

Poet

Fine I buy the proportionality related to Boxing History, but you unfortunately still sound like a ***** in reverse.

I am thinking that a lounge for *****s should be created, maybe call it the "flashy lounge"? but it probably would not work.

I am afraid the reason for the difference between *******s adn *****s is that a number of *****s must appreciate his skill and boxing IQ more than his cars (at least a fraction... I hope lol...), and that makes them curious about other fighters.

So far so good, they come to the history Section. Then they discover that there have been eras in the past, in which there were plenty of complete skillful fighters, and they are shocked that what makes Floyd unique today was not unique at all back then. And this shock causes them to make bull**** posts in bunches. I highly doubt that posting pictures of ducks with Mayweather's head is going to educate them in any way, but suit yourself. I am no pedagogy expert.

Ziggy Stardust
02-12-2012, 03:29 AM
Fine I buy the proportionality related to Boxing History, but you unfortunately still sound like a ***** in reverse.

I am thinking that a lounge for *****s should be created, maybe call it the "flashy lounge"? but it probably would not work.

I am afraid the reason for the difference between *******s adn *****s is that a number of *****s must appreciate his skill and boxing IQ more than his cars (at least a fraction... I hope lol...), and that makes them curious about other fighters.

So far so good, they come to the history Section. Then they discover that there have been eras in the past, in which there were plenty of complete skillful fighters, and they are shocked that what makes Floyd unique today was not unique at all back then. And this shock causes them to make bull**** posts in bunches. I highly doubt that posting pictures of ducks with Mayweather's head is going to educate them in any way, but suit yourself. I am no pedagogy expert.

I post -----> :floyd9: because it pisses them off.....just like the "Klitschko Land" memes piss off the Klitlickers and the pics of Tyson crawling around with his mouthpiece in backwards pisses off the Tyson KoolAid Drinkers. Sure I smack *****s around, but it isn't 1/10 of what I do with the Klitlickers. The squeaky wheels get the grease, so I don't do much with the Tyson idiots these days but on the odd occasion when one gets too mouthy I bust their bubble. Right now the Klitlickers and the *****s are in overdrive, next year it might be someone else. But I don't waste my time trying to educate them anymore: I've had my hand bitten too many times and for what? It really is a thankless and pointless exercise that never actually accomplishes anything.

Personally, I would LOVE to see a separate forum where they would banish ALL nuthuggers to and restrict them to posting only there......but THAT will never happen unfortunately.

Poet

wmute
02-12-2012, 03:46 AM
I post -----> :floyd9: because it pisses them off.....just like the "Klitschko Land" memes piss off the Klitlickers and the pics of Tyson crawling around with his mouthpiece in backwards pisses off the Tyson KoolAid Drinkers. Sure I smack *****s around, but it isn't 1/10 of what I do with the Klitlickers. The squeaky wheels get the grease, so I don't do much with the Tyson idiots these days but on the odd occasion when one gets too mouthy I bust their bubble. Right now the Klitlickers and the *****s are in overdrive, next year it might be someone else. But I don't waste my time trying to educate them anymore: I've had my hand bitten too many times and for what? It really is a thankless and pointless exercise that never actually accomplishes anything.

Personally, I would LOVE to see a separate forum where they would banish ALL nuthuggers to and restrict them to posting only there......but THAT will never happen unfortunately.

Poet

What is this Klitschko land thing? lol

Ziggy Stardust
02-12-2012, 03:55 AM
What is this Klitschko land thing? lol

These:

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x439/kitschkoland/sefesfe.jpg
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x439/kitschkoland/roflbotrgrgrdg.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa32/lo9991/klitschko-land-if-youre-not-a-fan-of-the-bros-youre-a-afrocentric-liberal.jpg

Ziggy Stardust
02-12-2012, 03:56 AM
:chuckle9::chuckle9::chuckle9::chuckle9:

wmute
02-12-2012, 03:58 AM
hahahahah i can't see the3rd one what does it say?

Ziggy Stardust
02-12-2012, 04:04 AM
hahahahah i can't see the3rd one what does it say?

It says: KLITSCHKO LAND - IF YOU'RE NOT A FAN OF THE BROS, YOU'RE AND AFRO-CENTRIC LIBERAL

I almost forgot these two gems:

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x439/kitschkoland/sefsef.jpg
http://t.qkme.me/35o2r3.jpg

:chuckle9:

wmute
02-12-2012, 04:07 AM
hahahah i can't even green k you... you should have an extra one to remind them that wlad got knocked down by purrity among others

Ziggy Stardust
02-12-2012, 04:09 AM
hahahah i can't even green k you... you should have an extra one to remind them that wlad got knocked down by purrity among others

I can't take credit for them I'm afraid :chuckle9: I find them on Google Images and they originate over at Easts1de.

Poet

Ziggy Stardust
02-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Forgot about this one:
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x439/kitschkoland/sefesfesf.jpg

New England
02-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Forgot about this one:
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x439/kitschkoland/sefesfesf.jpg

my personal favorite was

"Face gets destroyed,

Won the fight."

Ziggy Stardust
02-12-2012, 08:27 PM
my personal favorite was

"Face gets destroyed,

Won the fight."

I couldn't find that one......I was looking :hahahaha9:

Barn
02-12-2012, 08:36 PM
my personal favorite was

"Face gets destroyed,

Won the fight."
http://i41.tinypic.com/nfp2mt.jpg

Ziggy Stardust
02-12-2012, 08:37 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/nfp2mt.jpg

Awesome! :hahahaha9: :hahahaha9: :hahahaha9:

Ziggy Stardust
02-12-2012, 10:17 PM

This thread's perfect exapmle of what I'm talking about lol >>>>>
http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535904

Mike Tyson77
02-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Guys, his face was ****ed up bad, and he didnt want to quit. He wanted to keep fighting, he's a true champion.

Ziggy Stardust
02-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Guys, his face was ****ed up bad, and he didnt want to quit. He wanted to keep fighting, he's a true champion.

Who cares whether he wanted to quit or not? It's not an "I Quit Match". You get your face fvcked up like that you lose the fight. End of story.

Poet

Mike Tyson77
02-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Who cares whether he wanted to quit or not? It's not an "I Quit Match". You get your face fvcked up like that you lose the fight. End of story.

Poet

wow, so he lost big deal. Vitali has since came back and not hardly lost any rounds in last 4 years regaining his belt and kicking ass.....and he's way past his prime. He has made his mark on boxing history as a great fighter. He's one of my favorites and I really enjoy watching his fights. I dont really care what you think.

JAB5239
02-12-2012, 11:01 PM

He deserved credit for showing toughness and heart, But he was a mess and getting hit more and more. It was a good stoppage and Lewis deserves just as much credit for battling back from adversity.

Mike Tyson77
02-12-2012, 11:32 PM
He deserved credit for showing toughness and heart, But he was a mess and getting hit more and more. It was a good stoppage and Lewis deserves just as much credit for battling back from adversity.

For sure, Lewis is a beast. A real warrior.

them_apples
02-13-2012, 12:00 AM
Awesome! :hahahaha9: :hahahaha9: :hahahaha9:

you shouldn't hate so bad on the K bros. Sure they have stupid fans but everyone does. They don't duck anyone and they certainly aren't bums. Vitali could put up a decent fight against a lot of greats, even if he isn't the best.

my 2cents.

Ziggy Stardust
02-13-2012, 12:02 AM
you shouldn't hate so bad on the K bros. Sure they have stupid fans but everyone does. They don't duck anyone and they certainly aren't bums. Vitali could put up a decent fight against a lot of greats, even if he isn't the best.

my 2cents.

Well, remember the days when I was the Tyson nuthuggers worst nightmare? :whistle9:

Poet

JAB5239
02-13-2012, 12:31 AM

my 2cents.

I'm very critical of the Klits BECAUSE the majority of their fans, but I can agree with this.

them_apples
02-13-2012, 12:31 AM
Well, remember the days when I was the Tyson nuthuggers worst nightmare? :whistle9:

Poet

yeah but you gotta be real in the history section! I try to be as unbiased as possible these days. This isn't where the fans battle it out!

There should be a group for all the real boxing fans.

Ziggy Stardust
02-13-2012, 12:35 AM
yeah but you gotta be real in the history section! I try to be as unbiased as possible these days. This isn't where the fans battle it out!

I know, though occasionally you have some slink in with their BS. It's really NSB where I go hard though.

Poet

Mike Tyson77
02-13-2012, 01:14 AM
I mean at least give Wlad some credit. He unifyed the belts, cleaned out the division, and fought all comers. What more can he do? He's a real class act has become a very good fighter over the years. I mean he's our sports Heavyweight Champ, the baddest man on the planet. I think he deserves some respect.

Ziggy Stardust
02-13-2012, 01:17 AM
I mean at least give Wlad some credit. He unifyed the belts, cleaned out the division, and fought all comers. What more can he do? He's a real class act has become a very good fighter over the years. I mean he's our sports Heavyweight Champ, the baddest man on the planet. I think he deserves some respect.

He lost to Ross Fvckin' Purrity. Get real.

Mike Tyson77
02-13-2012, 01:50 AM
He lost to Ross Fvckin' Purrity. Get real.

Ya, like back in the ****in 90's. Let's see who would win that rematch right now or even 5 years ago. Wlad is the WBA/IBF/WBO/IBO/Ring Undisputed Heavyweight Champion of the world, and has ruled his divison for the last 6 years with an Iron fist. And you just cant stand it, your just a Klitschko hater and that's all there is to it.

Ziggy Stardust
02-13-2012, 01:54 AM
has ruled the worst era of Heavyweights in the history of boxing for the last 6 years.....and it just kills his nuthuggers.

^^^^^ Fixed for accuracy.

Mike Tyson77
02-13-2012, 02:08 AM
I'm not the one hero-worshiping an athlete like some prepubescent kid. Hopefully someday your balls will drop.

Poet

Ya know what, who's your favorite current fighter? Im sure I can pick him apart to.

JAB5239
02-13-2012, 02:11 AM
Gentlemen, lets try and keep this civil or bring it to another section. Apples is right, this isn't the place for the petty squabbling. Banter and disagreement is fine, but lets not take it to far. Thank you.

Ziggy Stardust
02-13-2012, 02:11 AM
Ya know what, who's your favorite current fighter? Im sure I can pick him apart to.

Don't have one. I'm a fan of the SPORT not this or that fighter. And by the way, there isn't a fighter who ever lived that I can't pick apart better than you can on your best day.

Poet

THE REED™
02-14-2012, 11:53 AM
??? I thought this was a Floyd thread?

Ziggy Stardust
02-14-2012, 12:05 PM
??? I thought this was a Floyd thread?

Read back.....wmute, New England, and I were having a bit of banter and a laugh.

Poet

Dubbed90
02-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Tbh, this just goes to show how good of a fighter Mayweather is. I am not denying any of those fighters could beat him.
But to have to go back in the past, and look for fantasy fights in which he's 'supposed' to lose, speaks testaments of his ability.

Barn
02-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Tbh, this just goes to show how good of a fighter Mayweather is. I am not denying any of those fighters could beat him.
But to have to go back in the past, and look for fantasy fights in which he's 'supposed' to lose, speaks testaments of his ability.
Anyone who denies Floyd's ability is just stupid.

Walt Liquor
02-17-2012, 11:19 AM
first and only thread ive seen where floyd doesn't win every single fantasy fight.

oh wait, its not nsb

IronDanHamza
02-17-2012, 12:05 PM
first and only thread ive seen where floyd doesn't win every single fantasy fight.

oh wait, its not nsb

He loses plenty.

Barn
02-17-2012, 12:18 PM
He loses plenty.
Leonard beats him the worst in my opinion.

IronDanHamza
02-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Leonard beats him the worst in my opinion.

I meant in polls, he loses plenty. Even in NSB.

As for Leonard, yeah, he beats him up pretty bad. I think Floyd would make to a decision though.

New England
02-17-2012, 12:44 PM
I meant in polls, he loses plenty. Even in NSB.

As for Leonard, yeah, he beats him up pretty bad. I think Floyd would make to a decision though.

i had a whole gaggle of them trying to tell me that floyd would not only beat, but roll right over marvin hagler.

:friday::friday: happy friday

bojangles1987
02-17-2012, 03:47 PM

Definitely. He's an ATG, you usually have to find other ATGs, or guys who were tough matchups, to beat such fighters.

bojangles1987
02-17-2012, 03:48 PM
i had a whole gaggle of them trying to tell me that floyd would not only beat, but roll right over marvin hagler.

What? What thread?

them_apples
02-17-2012, 06:15 PM

thats hilarious. Hagler made SRL look like a slapper. He'd laugh at Floyds punches

Junior M Weight
02-21-2012, 02:32 AM
It would have to be someone with speed. I'm thinking srl.

If an old Oscar can figbt Floyd pretty well, then imagine a prime Oscar or a prime srl.

wmute
02-21-2012, 06:43 AM
It would have to be someone with speed. I'm thinking srl.

If an old Oscar can figbt Floyd pretty well, then imagine a prime Oscar or a prime srl.

prime srl would put a beating on pbf.

prime oscar wouldn't do ***** more or less.

them_apples
02-21-2012, 01:05 PM
SRL was so good. At first I thought to give Floyd a big shot. But SRL would never let someone just out box him for 12 rounds. If something wasn't working I'd see him hit the gas like he did against his dad.